Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Elemakule bitters - verdict?

Pages: 1 7 replies

Has anybody tried out Bitterman's Elemakule bitters? The allspice and cinnamon combo seems promising for tiki cocktails: http://store.thebostonshaker.com/index.php?product=CIBI-TIKI

The Boston Shaker is a great online shop BTW, they also offer the recently resurrected Boker's Bitters.

R

I like them.

Definitely you do taste the spice a little bit more clearly in these then in the Ango I feel.

Very good in almost all drinks that call for Ango, they do give a different flavor but in a good way.

I think they are worth trying, I enjoy them and use them when wanting to change things up or when I want to create something unique.

-Rawim

I just picked up a bottle of the Elemakule Tiki bitters on a whim and was curious what to use it in. So, I searched and found this thread. It has a really awesome smell and I feel it will probably be a lot stronger than the Angostura. So what have you guys used it in?

I was considering using it in this recipe i found on Imbibe Magazine's website. http://imbibemagazine.com/Shipwreck-Recipe

I've been using them as a float on top of drinks that have Pernod to enhance the aroma. I'm not sure I'm tasting them though as most exotic cocktails in that category have many ingredients and a complex flavor profile. I'll be sure to try the Shipwreck!

I like them. Just picked some up a few weeks ago and haven't used it in too many things, but I agree it is a good changeup from Ango.

Bitter Truth's Jerry Thomas' Own Decanter Bitters also has a big dose of allspice in the flavor profile.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Aug 28, 2017 11:05 PM

I've never tried Elemakule bitters (or even seen them on any local shelves). Last year I found the "Lazy Bear" recipe on the Pegu Blog, which calls for spiced bitters, a 1:1 mix of Angostura bitters and pimento dram.

http://www.killingtime.com/Pegu/2016/02/16/modern-tiki-drink-lazy-bear/

Spiced bitters were easy to make, and I've used them in not only the Lazy Bear but also some personal original recipes. Based on the descriptions of allspice and cinnamon here, does anyone think spiced bitters could be used as a suitable substitute for Elemakule bitters? (After looking at prices online, it certainly appears more economical...).

I like them fine and they are definitely the right thing for some lighter mixed drinks. They aren't an instant classic for me, though, as I find they don't cut through in such a satisfying way as ango or peychauds. I find myself layering them with either angostura or the xocolate mole bitters from the same company.

The xocolate bitters, however, are fantastic - especially for stirred or layered brown drinks, they really tie things together.

I like them fine and they are definitely the right thing for some lighter mixed drinks. They aren't an instant classic for me, though, as I find they don't cut through in such a satisfying way as ango or peychauds. I find myself layering them with either angostura or the xocolate mole bitters from the same company.

The xocolate bitters, however, are fantastic - especially for stirred or layered brown drinks, they really tie things together.

Pages: 1 7 replies