Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Strange Tahitian Lanai mug!

Pages: 1 12 replies

B

I found this in a local thrift for 50c:

When I did a Google search before buying to find out anything about it, all I could find were images of the green Tahitian Lanai mug. This place, Critiki, Ooga Mooga-- no luck! It's in pretty nice shape, with no chips, though there is a bit of crazing on the inside (which suggests that it may not be a very new mug).

Can any of you tell me anything about this?

B

I feel like a dope now, since this very mug is shown in this thread. But Google Search never showed those photos!

Still, any more detailed info about its age would be appreciated.

LT

I believe that mug was manufactured by Daga.

B

Judging from some more Googling and searching at Ooga Mooga, would that mean that this is from the later years of the Lanai? (Critiki notes the place closed in '96).

The image of the woman on the right is definitely from Hinano beer in Tahiti.

I will gladly buy it from you for $1.00... double your money!

B

On 2011-07-19 19:07, The Monitors wrote:

Yeah, but it also seems to have shown up on Tahitian Lanai matchbooks (as shown in the thread I found later). It may be that some other folks used a similar image, 'cause now that I think of it I saw a very similar wahini image when browsing other threads.

Aloha,

On 2011-07-19 19:07, The Monitors wrote:

hmmm...no doubt...Well done, The Moniters

According to Wikipedia...

Hinano is a brand of beer brewed by Brasserie de Tahiti since 1955. The 5% ABV lager is Tahiti's most popular beer, and its logo depicting an archetypal vahine (native female islander) is one of the French territory's most widespread images.

We know the mug in question is a 'Daga' mug (See Waikiki Tiki - approx 55 pages in...) circa 1972, but the vahine's use as the logo of the Tahitian Lanai dates to earlier...

Spence Weaver of the Spencecliff Corporation returned from Papette as they were putting the finishing touches on the restaurant with bags of curios for decoration in 1956. No doubt, he's seen the image there and imported it...

B

We know the mug in question is a 'Daga' mug (See Waikiki Tiki - approx 55 pages in...) circa 1972, ...

Yeah? Cool. So it's nearly as old as me (which makes it at least somewhat vintage. :D)

A

Looks pretty likely that the inspiration for the Tahitian Lanai girl is the Hinano girl. But it must've been drawn for the Tahitian Lanai by a different artist, and somehow I like that illustration much better. The Hinano one is nice and kinda regal, but a little stiff. The Tahitian Lanai one is more casual, natural, and just looks more like she fits with a relaxed place you want to hang out, on a Tahitian lanai.

Side by side images below from the web for Hinano, and from Dustycajun for the Tahitian Lanai.

I do like the Hinano girl's big "Hang Ten" toes though.

-Randy

Which one of the two inspired this shell ashtray then? :wink: :

Hi Folks,

I've been to Tahiti twice and the image of the wahine is super popular and constantly ripped off. But that image (wahine) is definitely from Hinano. Here's the link directly from the Hinano website and tells the story of the logotype:

"At the start of the construction of the modern brewery, which replaced the old timber buildings, place Notre Dame, Yves Martin chose the vahine as the logo and Hinano as the name for his new beer in 1955.

Pierre Heyman, Swedish painter and friend of Yves Martin, is the author of the famous vahine, firstly engraved on bottles. The first model dated from 1953. The consumers and tourists marked tendency to collect these nice bottles of Pierre Heyman's vahine. Pierre Pothier makes the first label inspired from Pierre Heyman's vahine upon Yves Martin's request.

Since then Hinano label has evolved and the last lifting was 2006."

http://www.hinano.com/html/home.php?v=ok&lang=us&a=1972

A

Hey, that's cool - the Hinano website has a little animation showing the evolution of the vahine. Sure enough, one of those is just about identical to the Tahitian Lanai one, with that same casual shrug I like...

Some of the earliest ones are pretty neat for their almost crude style...

Thanks "The Monitors",

-Randy

Pages: 1 12 replies