Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Roof Help

Pages: 1 2 replies

R

Hi,

I am working on my roof for the bar now and trying to find the best way to do it... I have 2 by 8 headers more or less running across 4 by 4 posts which the rafters will sit on (1 1/2 thick) I have a 1 foot overhang and birdsmouth cut on the rafters...

What would be the best way to attach these to the top plate/header... I understand this is not a common top plate or double plate... should I just nail the birdsmouth into the header/top plate with 2 16d nails? will this be okay? or should I attach them with h1 hurricane ties? Hurricane ties ask that you connect the tie to the top plate with 2 1/2 inch 8d nails but my material is only 1 1/2.. can I just apply them with 1 1/2 8d nails? also, when using hurricane ties, do you still nail separately through the birdsmouth or just use the tie assembly only?

Thanks for any help, just want to do this the best way... also the structure (roof) area is only about 45 sq feet...

Thanks again!
R.T.

TT

Judging by your in-depth question, you have a fair knowledge of construction & construction methods, probably more than most TikiCentralites, so trust your instinct & do what you think is best... what's the worst that could happen? It's only the roof!

N

http://www.strongtie.com/products/category_list.html?source=topnav

If the link above does not work, do a gaaggle search for simpson strong tie.

If you don't see what you are looking for, find the 1-800 number and give them a call and discuss your project. They will be able to tell you what anchor/strap you may need for your project.

You may need some technical data as well (wind load, weight, material types, moment loads, etc)

If none of that works, post some pics and lets take a look at exactly you are trying to do, as mentioned above, common sense sometimes gets the job done.

Pages: 1 2 replies