Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

A possible Tiki Oasis 2012 theme?

Pages: 1 2 65 replies

O

Cross cultural Tiki mutations:
Chinese acrobatics crossed with tourist luau show crossed with Las Vegas circus!
With a little something extra.
Now that's Tiki!

Classic Velvets
by Song Shen

[ Edited by: Okolehao 2011-08-20 19:30 ]

UM.... No.
I hope you aren't serious?

I told some friends that it should be Cival War re-enactment Tiki,
and that got a huge round of laughs.

by the way,
Next Years Tiki Oasis is going to be Spy themed.

Jeff(btd)

Yes Spy themed! or retro SciFi.

On 2011-08-23 19:39, bigtikidude wrote:

I told some friends that it should be Cival War re-enactment Tiki,
and that got a huge round of laughs.

LOL :lol:

RR

Wild-west tiki.

Pretty sure it's going to be spy-themed, but I looooove the retro sci-fi idea. A space tiki idea would be amazing! I can see the flyer already...a bunch of people with fishbowl helmets on floating through space, attempting to drink their drinks and one guy playing bongos lol.

P

That was Tiki Oasis 4.

Sci-Fi? Why not? After all, there ARE tikis on Mars...

:)

Bear

Mmm Hmm, but like PiPhiRho said that was done for Tiki Oasis 4.

Then how about retro creature feature? monsters & Tiki, yea!

J

Rats, I thought for sure the next theme would be Chinese restaurant Tiki-style. :(

Anyway, this year opened up the floodgates for any trend that was popular when Tiki was. I think it's a good combo as most Tikiphiles appreciate mid-century culture. I can just imagine…

1. Cold War Tiki - I'm not sure what the music would be but certainly the mixology could revolve around vodka. Also the atomic scare and Soviet iconography of that time might result in some interesting mug designs. And Tiki bomb shelters, anyone ??

2. Tiki Camelot - In celebration of THE Tiki president, John F. Kennedy. That one could also be a return back to a lounge culture when the Rat Pack reigned. No Aloha wear allowed, just vintage cocktail attire.

3. The Inchanted Tiki Room - A celebration of Disney. Purposely mis-spelled to avoid the eventual lawsuits from the Disney corporation. All of the popular characters would have to be appropriately modified. Plus this Oasis would be one where everyone would have to have fun WITHOUT booze. Is that possible ??

4. The Good, the Bad, and the Tiki - Celebrating Spaghetti Western. Certainly this would be a good opportunity to feature Morricone-style Surf Music.

5. Davy Crocket Tiki - Coonskin caps replace fezzes.

6. Tiki, PI - A Crime Jazz and Hawaiian Eye theme. Maybe even throw in some Hawaii-0.

7. Where No Tiki Has Gone Before - Star Trek + Tiki. That would be the ultimate Geek fest.

8. Eden's Island - "Nature Boy" Hippie-style Tiki.

9. Tiki TV - In celebration of mid-century TV sitcoms. Think Gilligan's Island and Brady Bunch Tiki.

10. Tiki Disco Party - To acknowledge the eventual devolution. Actually that "Tiki Hell" room party was pretty fun with the puffer fish disco ball.

OK, that'll keep things flowing for the next decade. :)

J

On 2011-08-23 22:58, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Then how about retro creature feature? monsters & Tiki, yea!

I think the upcoming Halloween-themed "Goin' Primitive" at Mojave Oasis in Oct might have that covered.

BV

ancient Rome -tiki ? We just need to install vomitoriums. Everything else is already present.

Victorian era -Tiki? Oh never mind. :-?

Maybe we should just stick to the Spy Theme, Crime Jazz & Spy tunes, John-Os Cold War idea fits right in
(Man from U.N.C.L.E., I Spy, The Prisoner, Secret Agent Man etc.) all from the classic Tiki era.

J

Here's one more, a page right out of the Hawaiian history book...

For those attendees unhappy with all of the Burlesque (i.e. "Titty" Oasis) we can have Missionary-style Tiki Oasis. :D

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-08-24 07:02 ]

On 2011-08-24 06:59, JOHN-O wrote:
For those attendees unhappy with all of the Burlesque (i.e. "Titty" Oasis) we can have Missionary-style Tiki Oasis. :D

Does that mean you'll be giving a Missionary-style seminar there,John-O?
:wink:

A

Funny, I was just wondering yesterday about what the theme would be next year. I thought "Hollywood" would be simple and provide a big canvas.

At this date the theme for TO12 is this....

How about a back to basics tiki themed Oasis... "Tiki Oasis"! Perhaps I'm just a bit of a purist :wink:

J

In that case you might find either Tiki Caliente or Mojave Oasis to your liking. :)

TP

Looking at the pics of the event, and reading the comments, Im sure it was a kick ass, fun filled successful party. Well organized and managed, filled with talented artists and performers....with that being said i agree with the above purist comment...get the Tiki back in Tiki Oasis. Do you really need a theme other than tiki?
You got tijuana tiki here....Whats next a "jimmy buffet" tiki oasis? Oasis has def. changed in 10 yrs.
and like polynesian pop devolved, this event seems to be devolving from that theme. JohnO i agree withyou.
Tiki Oasis 1 and 2 i miss you.
aloha

[ Edited by: Tiki Pop 2011-08-24 20:04 ]

T

Ive been saying it for years because thats what really got me motivated . I had only carved a few tikis for myself at the time when I went to Vegas and attended Mondo Tiki at the Hard Rock . Thats where I first me Holden and Crazy Al . They told me of an event the next month called Tiki Oasis 2. I ended up vending and from that point I was hooked because I found others who shared my secret passion . It was all about the tiki and the lifestyle . Its just my opinion but "Tiki" is enough theme for me .Its like having a themed Halloween party ????????? What theme ? Its already Halloween . I went to T.O. this year but just visited the vendors and helped in a room party . I had the best time too. I just didnt get the Mexican theme but it was ok . Im just one guy . I really dont care if you make it Toga Party Tiki . Ill go to the parts that appeal to me .

[ Edited by: TIKI-RAY 2011-08-24 20:43 ]

J

On 2011-08-24 19:35, Tiki Pop wrote:
...this event seems to be devolving from that theme. JohnO i agree with you.

Devolution is a harsh word, the event was still mid-century culture Kool.

Actually it was this year's theme that really interested me. I love the TJB (and ironically I was having such a good time in a room party that I missed HERB :().

I attended 4 different multi-day Tiki events this year, each one very unique but still true to Tiki-style's original spirit.

I must say Oasis was the most SURREAL of them all (and that's a good thing :)).

S

On 2011-08-24 20:30, TIKI-RAY wrote:
It was all about the tiki and the lifestyle .Its just my opinion but "Tiki" is enough theme for me. Its like having a themed Halloween party ????????? What theme ? Its already Halloween. I really dont care if you make it Toga Party Tiki . I'll go to the parts that appeal to me .

[ Edited by: TIKI-RAY 2011-08-24 20:43 ]

I have to agree with this comment. Living in Australia, i haven't had the chance to attend a Tiki Oasis event yet, but i plan on going next year. I'm going to take out a loan from the bank if i have to. :lol:

If/WHEN i make it over there i really don't care if there is a theme, but i agree with TIKI-RAY that isn't the theme "Tiki" itself. There are other threads on this site discussing the devolution of tiki and whether or not hotrods, and burlesque, and fezzes etc. belong in tiki culture and yet this years theme was Mexican and next years it seems will be SPY themed. I don't understand.

On 2011-08-24 00:51, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Maybe we should just stick to the Spy Theme, Crime Jazz & Spy tunes, John-Os Cold War idea fits right in
(Man from U.N.C.L.E., I Spy, The Prisoner, Secret Agent Man etc.) all from the classic Tiki era.

ok I know that Inspector Gadget was a 80's cartoon,
and not a cool 50s or 60's movie or TV show about spys.

But I think I may have found a good candidate for someone playing spy tunes.
http://www.dump.com/2011/07/18/inspector-gadget-tapping-on-a-guitar-video/

Jeff(btd)

:lol:

P

Having never attended a Tiki Oasis, I think I'd jump on a plane for a Conquistador/Tiki crossover.

Or Owls. Owls and Tiki go together like Peanut Butter and Calculus.

S

How about a Bad Tiki theme. All Party City and Buffett stuff. Just bring out your worst of the worst gifted shirts and Mayan tiki stuff. Everyone carry a plastic Big Lots tiki cup or an accoutrement one. Someone do a seminar on Oriental Trading company luaua decor through the years...

Ugh... Let's just get back to tiki being tiki...

I feel like the Latin theme overpowered the overarching theme of 'tiki' this year. Living in California, we already have so much influence from Mexico that it wasn't very escapist of an event to me. I totally GET the theme though...and I love Herb Alpert. But I don't remember any other theme being as overpowering as this last one. At the same time, I had an absolute blast and I think that Otto and Baby Doe did an amazing job at following through with the whole event. It was seamless.

That being said, I LOVE the spy theme for next year and I think a Chinese theme would coincide nicely with tiki (for the future).

On 2011-08-25 13:18, Swanky wrote:
How about a Bad Tiki theme. All Party City and Buffett stuff. Just bring out your worst of the worst gifted shirts and Mayan tiki stuff. Everyone carry a plastic Big Lots tiki cup or an accoutrement one. Someone do a seminar on Oriental Trading company luaua decor through the years...

But I lost all that stuff in "The Fire"

Far East

J

On 2011-08-25 13:41, Luckydesigns wrote:
...I LOVE the spy theme for next year and I think a Chinese theme would coincide nicely with tiki (for the future).

I like Chinese Spies...

TM

On 2011-08-25 17:56, JOHN-O wrote:

On 2011-08-25 13:41, Luckydesigns wrote:
...I LOVE the spy theme for next year and I think a Chinese theme would coincide nicely with tiki (for the future).

I like Chinese Spies...

Not suprisingly, so do I!

AF

On 2011-08-24 00:19, JOHN-O wrote:
Rats, I thought for sure the next theme would be Chinese restaurant Tiki-style. :(

Anyway, this year opened up the floodgates for any trend that was popular when Tiki was. I think it's a good combo as most Tikiphiles appreciate mid-century culture. I can just imagine…

1. Cold War Tiki - I'm not sure what the music would be but certainly the mixology could revolve around vodka. Also the atomic scare and Soviet iconography of that time might result in some interesting mug designs. And Tiki bomb shelters, anyone ??

2. Tiki Camelot - In celebration of THE Tiki president, John F. Kennedy. That one could also be a return back to a lounge culture when the Rat Pack reigned. No Aloha wear allowed, just vintage cocktail attire.

3. The Inchanted Tiki Room - A celebration of Disney. Purposely mis-spelled to avoid the eventual lawsuits from the Disney corporation. All of the popular characters would have to be appropriately modified. Plus this Oasis would be one where everyone would have to have fun WITHOUT booze. Is that possible ??

4. The Good, the Bad, and the Tiki - Celebrating Spaghetti Western. Certainly this would be a good opportunity to feature Morricone-style Surf Music.

5. Davy Crocket Tiki - Coonskin caps replace fezzes.

6. Tiki, PI - A Crime Jazz and Hawaiian Eye theme. Maybe even throw in some Hawaii-0.

7. Where No Tiki Has Gone Before - Star Trek + Tiki. That would be the ultimate Geek fest.

8. Eden's Island - "Nature Boy" Hippie-style Tiki.

9. Tiki TV - In celebration of mid-century TV sitcoms. Think Gilligan's Island and Brady Bunch Tiki.

10. Tiki Disco Party - To acknowledge the eventual devolution. Actually that "Tiki Hell" room party was pretty fun with the puffer fish disco ball.

OK, that'll keep things flowing for the next decade. :)

Too funny JOHN-O! Please add a little Magnum & Higgins to #6! Who in Tiki could pull off those two characters?

Or what about combo of #2 & #6...but with the aloha shirts!

MT

With all of the "drama" about themes and such recently, how about a Soap Opera themed Tiki Oasis?

As The Tiki Turns

Days Of Our Tiki Lives

Lava Soap could be one of the sponsors. Speaking of sponsors, we could also have a seminar sponsored by Reese's, where people get up on soap boxes and exclaim how someone got their Tiki Peanut Butter on someone else's Chocolate Tiki...

Chinese theme? Surely "The Orient" gives a wider scope, what would the tiki experiences be without the influence of the exotic far east, China, Japan, The Philippines, Borneo, Korea, Thailand, opium dreams of crab Rangoon on a Chinese Junk drinking sake from a Fu Man Chu mug while Bruce Lee and Charlie Chan fight Ninjas and Malay Pirates, while the Giant Rat of Sumatra and Denham's ape try to break out of the hold.

H

On 2011-08-26 08:58, Unga Bunga wrote:

:lol:

Hey, if Tiki Oasis doesn't go for this one, someone can at least use it as their room party theme.

J

On 2011-08-31 03:52, atomictonytiki wrote:
Chinese theme? Surely "The Orient" gives a wider scope, what would the tiki experiences be without the influence of the exotic far east, China, Japan, The Philippines, Borneo, Korea, Thailand, opium dreams of crab Rangoon on a Chinese Junk drinking sake from a Fu Man Chu mug while Bruce Lee and Charlie Chan fight Ninjas and Malay Pirates, while the Giant Rat of Sumatra and Denham's ape try to break out of the hold

Good point… The Tiki Orient. :)

If Exotica is synonymous with Tiki culture (which I think is the point that Otto made for the recent Tiki Oasis), then Yes, absolutely. "The Big 3" of Exotica music were all over Far East themes.

And at first I was going to take exception with your reference to Bruce Lee, who I associate more with the Tiki downslide of the 1970's. Then I forgot about this 1960's reference...

Which reminds me of another 1960's fad… Batman !!

Is there a vague Tiki connection? Consider this...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14293&forum=1&vpost=594287

As well as Thor's recent Tiki Magazine cover…

It's a Super Tiki theme !!

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-09-01 08:05 ]

J
JOHN-O posted on Thu, Sep 1, 2011 8:04 AM

Ooops...

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-09-01 08:05 ]

M

Brat Pack or 60's Cocktail Party

Don't you mean The Rat Pack

Versus

The Brat Pack?

Bear

M

yes bruddah I did mean the rat pack..what was I thinking? With the new Pan Am Series the Rat Pack would be perfect! You got a laugh on me Bear..hehehe

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2011-09-01 15:53 ]

I'm voting for the SPY theme. Hope we can find out soon, as this is the best time of year to buy costume/room decor items.

SUBLIMINAL MESSAGE.........SPY SPY SPY

H

On 2011-10-23 18:02, VampiressRN wrote:
I'm voting for the SPY theme. Hope we can find out soon, ...

As pointed out earlier:

Yes I did see that but there were so many suggestions and posters wasn't sure it was OFFICIAL.

Corona Contessa and I will attend and host for the room crawl...WE GOT PLANS!!!

Pages: 1 2 65 replies