Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Difference between gold and amber rum?

Pages: 1 17 replies

N
n0ir posted on Thu, Sep 22, 2011 3:59 PM

Sorry if this has been up before! Almost impossible to search with "amber" and "gold" as search criterias... :P

What (if any) is the difference between gold and amber rum? For example, Appleton Special Gold is a gold rum but its cousin Appleton V/X is considered to be an amber rum?

Even the bum uses the two categories but never really explain the difference, for example when he writes (under gold Jamaican rum in Remixed) that you should "look for Appleton Special Gold. Appleton also makes an aged amber rum, Estate V/X, which works beautifully in recipes that call for gold Jamaican.".

I assume by my own tastings that gold is lighter then the amber rums? Should the amber rums be placed somewhere in between gold and dark rums on the taste ladder?

IS there a difference? Is gold and amber rum considered two different categories of rum or is the terms used interchangeable?

Welcome to TC n0ir, here was a similar question and answer from another thread, maybe it will help

On 2011-03-03 12:10, Swanky wrote:

On 2011-03-03 11:24, just sayin wrote:
hey guys, i notice that 'amber virgin island rum' and 'gold virgin island rum' are seperate options... are they the same? i also have that problem w/ 'appleton special gold' and 'jamaican gold rum'... arent they both the same? i guess i should just select both but i just wanted to check.

I feel your pain!

I volunteered to work with The Bum to normalize his ingredients. Putting all these in I had to decide on a lot of things. Simple ones like "Simple Syrup" and "Sugar Syrup" to a lot more difficult choices.

I generally check all the rums and make decisions about what I have that fits the bill when I look up the recipe. If I have the sepcific rum called for I use it. If it calls for Barbencourt 5 Star and I have 3, I'll use that. Such is life behind the bar and inside the Grogalizer.

In my bar, Appleton Special is the Jamaican Gold, and every other Gold rum called for, but your results may vary.

N
n0ir posted on Thu, Sep 22, 2011 5:14 PM

Obviously my search skills leaves a bit to be desired, but I still really don´t understand if there´s a difference or not?

I assume mr. Bum have good reasons to using two different categories but they seem to be used very interchangeable (and I´m not talking about in real life behind the bar where the bottles are limited but in the original recipes).

On 2011-09-22 17:14, n0ir wrote:
Obviously my search skills leaves a bit to be desired...

:lol: I didn't actually do a search for that, I just remembered it being posted a few days back :lol:

As far as the rum question, I'm not much of a drinker - hopefully someone else will give you an answer

I would typically handle gold and amber as interchangeable, so long as you're also taking region into consideration. For instance if a recipe called for Gold Puerto Rico rum I'd say any amber or gold rum of that region/style is acceptable (Cruzan, for instance). But if the recipe called for Gold Jamaican rum, I'd look for something like an Appleton or Smith & Cross and not use a Gold/Amber Puerto Rico style rum.

kevin

D

Amber rum and gold rum are the same thing. Different people use different terms, so it can become confusing.

S

Do you have St. James Royal Ambre? Off the top of my head, that is the only rum that calls itself "amber" I have around. So that is my go-to amber in recipes. BUT, I will sub Appleton VX for it if I don't have it or, as is the case these days, it is in such short supply that I don't squander it. Clement VSOP is a very similar flavor if that is around. Don't recall if they call that amber or not. Those are 2 Martinique agricole rums.

If that is the standard, that would put the flavor between gold and dark. Between Appleton Special or Mount Gay Eclipse and say Appleton VX and far to the left of Myerss'.

I agree w/djmont- gold and amber are the same thing.

I break down all my latest recipes by country of origin (Jamaican, Trinidadian, Venezuelan, etc.) and color: white, gold, amber or dark rum. When mixing, the 4 colors do matter to me as gold vs amber is generally less oaky, less mellowed and exhibits far less complexity when introduced (mixed) with other ingredients. Some golds are true barrel aged, some are gold by means of soaking in wood chips for a much shorter period to expedite the oaky flavors, at the loss of slow aged mellowness.

What's a white rum to me? Perfectly clear.

What's gold rum to me? Old Mill, Sgt. Classick, Depaz Blue Cane Agricole, 10 Cane, Cruzan, Mount Gay Barbados, Bacardi 8, rums when held against a white background are a brilliant light gold/yellow hue.

What's amber rum to me? Appleton V/X or 21yr, Zacapa 23, Zaya 12yr, El Dorado 15yr, Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva, Vizcaya VXOP and any other aged rum when held against a white background are a deep, sometimes near opaque, reddish hue.

What's a dark rum to me? Gossling's, Myers's, Coruba, Cruzan Black Strap, Lemon Hart, etc. Nearly 100% opaque black.

[ Edited by: Kahuna Kevin 2011-09-24 02:45 ]

D

To try to draw a distinction between "gold" and "amber" when it comes to rum seems pointless and arbitrary. In terms of color, the two terms are very similar, and gold is rendered in a darker/deeper hue than amber as often as it is lighter. Even more importantly, given its arbitrary nature, it's not a good indicator of the flavor profiles of the spirits.

Ed Hamilton, the noted rum authority, goes even further. He draws the distinction simply between white rums and dark rums. I tend to prefer acknowledging a middle ground -- mostly because the terminology is more familiar to a lot of people -- but this dichotomy does make sense. Ultimately the color of the rum does not bear a necessary correlation to the flavor of the rum. Aged rum, for example, can be filtered to remove the color. And many so-called "dark rums" (like Coruba) have caramel added to them to give them a darker color.

So the color is important for visual reasons in a cocktail -- e.g., a Daiquiri should be clear -- but it's the FLAVOR that matters for the taste of the cocktail.

D

p.s. I didn't intend my post to be disparaging of anyone else's point-of-view, so if it was, I apologize.

I'm on my 3rd daiquiri, I think.

On 2011-09-24 14:26, djmont wrote:
p.s. I didn't intend my post to be disparaging of anyone else's point-of-view, so if it was, I apologize.

I'm on my 3rd daiquiri, I think.

No need to apologize. When writing my cocktail books I have no choice but to over simplify by breaking things down to a rum's country of origin, color (white, gold, amber, dark) and suggested brand names - aka the original rum brands I used to create the cocktails. It's not ideal, and I agree there are as many rum variations as species on Earth, but this simplification allows anyone from the most knowledgeable rum-head to the average public with absolutely zero rum/bar-tending experience visually grab a bottle of X gold rum and mix with Y amber rum and Z dark rum. In most cases it works fine when substituting. I do stress in bold that readers do their own research prior to substituting, vs blindly dumping in another rum, as one rum to the next can be a night and day flavor profile.

we might as well debate the difference between "light rum" and "silver rum" while we're at it.

On 2011-09-26 15:09, thePorpoise wrote:
we might as well debate the difference between "light rum" and "silver rum" while we're at it.

I tend to use light rum in cocktails and silver rum in mixed drinks. You can taste the difference.

D

Ha! Jingle nailed it.

W

OK, here's another old thread to bump. I have questions about GOLD rums. I have been trying to faithfully recreate drinks and think I've done fine with the whites, darks, and demeraras, but when it comes to the golds I've been a bit confused. I understand there are Puerto Rican, Virgin Island, Barbados, and Jamaican rums that are referred to as gold but that they are not necessarily interchangeable.

I like the Plantation 5-year old Barbados rum and have been using it most of the time when any kind of gold is called for, even Spanish style ones; though sometimes I've used Appleton VX when I forget I have the Plantation. I also picked up some Doorly's XO which I imagine will be similar to the Plantation. Then I picked up some Smith & Cross which seems like a totally different beast and which I'm pretty excited to try in anything. But I just can't get myself to pick up any Puerto Rican style golds. Am I angering the Lono? I guess the Plantation and Appleton have a bit more sweetness and heft than something like a Cruzan gold would.

(Then there's that whole other question I have about the precise difference between daiquiris, grogs, and punches but I'll save that for another thread!)

[ Edited by: wupput 2015-03-25 22:25 ]

A

The difference between gold & amber rums is... a smidgen of colour!?! I'd say the 'categorisation' doesn't matter, what does is the flavour.

I've had Plantation Barbados 5 before - it's a good rum!

To answer your question Wuppet:

I would consider gold Jamaican / Demerara / Martinque rums to be in distinct categories of their own - they are more flavoursome. Therefore if a drink calls for one of them, use the required style of rum - yes, Smith & Cross is a different beast. Plantation Barbados 5 would be a different choice as a substitution for one of there rums but you might like it.

To a certain extent Bajan / Trinidadian / other English styles of rum also fit in another category (depending on the rum - for example Cockspur or Mount Gay are quite different to Angostura 1919) but these are less used for 'tiki' mixing.

When Bajan rums are called for, I use Cockspur (mainly because I don't use it a lot & it's a good quality rum). Plantation Barbados 5 is a great example of a Bajan rum (it's higher class than Cockspur) - if I had it, I'd use it in this situation.

Spanish style gold or amber rums (the Flor De Cana / Cruzan / Havana Club style rums) are more interchangeable depending on your brand preference. Spanish style rums usually blend in alongside more flavoursome rums.

Plantation Barbados 5 would be fine in this situation but I'd definitely pick up some gold Spanish style rum - I wouldn't describe myself as an enthusiastic fan of this style of rum but I use plenty.

Havana Club Añejo Especial is my gold Spanish style rum of choice, a Cruzan Gold is a fine alternative to you in the US. Bacardi 8 is the one Spanish style rum that I have found carries a little more flavour when mixed so I use it less often in cocktails where it can stand out.

If a recipe calls for an unspecified gold or amber rum alongside other rums I would first use a Havana Club Añejo Especial.

If a drink calls for a unspecified gold or amber rum on its own I would use Cockspur, if I thought it needed a little something (after trying it with Cockspur) I would use El Dorado 5 or Appleton VX. Plantation Barbados 5 would be an excellent choice in most situations calling for a unspecified gold rum.

I've got to say - for me drinks that feature a single gold or amber rum on its own never really hit the spot for me but Plantation Barbados 5 year could tip the balance in your favor - have fun anyway :wink:

C
Colin posted on Sat, Apr 4, 2015 4:56 AM

I thought gold and amber were the same thing, but I once was talking with the bar staff at the Trader Vic's here in Portland and realized, at least there, you can find a distinct chain of command as far as house rums go:

--Light rum
--gold rum
--amber rum
--dark rum

They use the house amber rum for their mai tai. I've tried all of their rums by themselves and the amber is the only one I like. It has a nice nose to it and works well with the house mai tai, whereas the others just taste really cheap to me. One day they were out of the amber, and they said they made amber rum for the mai tais that day by mixing one part gold rum with one part dark rum. I didn't care for the substitution.

Pages: 1 17 replies