Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Tiki bar found on road dead... almost.

Pages: 1 2 65 replies

Z

On 2014-05-17 13:55, Humuhumu wrote:
So many refinishing projects can be cringeworthy, but you're bringing these souls back from the brink of death, I love it! Great work!

Thanks, Humu!

Z

Well, been too busy with work lately to do much. But I got the zebrawood top on it at least.
This time I'm going with Tikiskip's suggestion to use amber shellac. Should bring it all together.

Getting ready to veneer the shelves. Then maybe dump a gallon of Spar varnish on it.

Shaping up nicely & looking forward to the end results.

T

This is looking great!
Are you going to do a lite burn on parts of this with a torch?
On bamboo you burn the nodes, but on rattan or you even see this on ash wood or what they
call Ash craft furniture a very lite burn over the whole thing give variation in the color
you get in the end.

If you do this do a test on the back parts of the rattan.

On 2014-05-19 03:05, tikiskip wrote:
This is looking great!
Are you going to do a lite burn on parts of this with a torch?
On bamboo you burn the nodes, but on rattan or you even see this on ash wood or what they
call Ash craft furniture a very lite burn over the whole thing give variation in the color
you get in the end.

If you do this do a test on the back parts of the rattan.

Sorry I'm answering late but workworkwork! I hadn't considered burning the rattan but now I will. Looked up "ash craft" and it's intriguing. I'll test it and see.

On 2014-05-06 21:39, VampiressRN wrote:
YEAH....so glad you are going to stain and pair with your first bar...that dark stain looks classy!!!

My bar is a 60's number in a yellow oak finish...when I bought a cabinet to use as the backbar, I had my handyman stain it a little darker to match...I think it turned out OK, it works for me. That storage unit you have looks pretty big...you may have to add stabilization framing to the back, as I think you will be able to store a hoard of alcohol bottles and mixers on there. Can hardly wait to see it.

Well, I did use the same stain. But it was applied outside and not next to the bar. I did NOT even notice the wicker was almost black until I got the two together and finished the pics. In Photoshop it was obvious that they're pretty different. Still, I like 'em.

Anyway this is just a photo op for them, the booze is still downstairs (where I can safely imbibe and not traverse the declines) so the artifacts are some of the easy-to-access pieces from boxes (after the quake) and not the rum 'n' mugs that should be behind a bar.

I recall poor Ben leaning on the wall going down the stairs. I'll have to remedy that problem somehow...

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2014-05-21 00:07 ]

H

Nice set, colors are just fine, looks great together.

On 2014-05-21 20:14, hiltiki wrote:
Nice set, colors are just fine, looks great together.

Thanks, hiltiki. Here's a more integrated shot also.

It still looks fabulous...I don't think you have to be matchy/matchy with lounge decor. I used to be a purist in that only had dark wood throughout my entire house, but when I moved into my new home I reduced my obsession and now only keep the same woods in each room. My lounge is the living room of my home and has light woods and directly across from that is my dining room that has dark woods...in the old days that would horrify me...LOL

Your pieces look great and once you placed the lighting on the back bar it really opened it up and gave it that mystical/jungle look. If you feel the need to match the pieces later, just darken up the bar and chairs. When my handyman stained my back bar I thought one coat was enough, but ended up having two coats to get it slightly darker. I know how wonderful all the matting looks on home bar walls, but I didn't have the money or skills to do that and was just leaving my walls the ecru color they were. People encouraged me to add color so I did. I thought the color I picked would be an oatmeal color, but it ended up being a gold which I was not fond of at first, but it has grown on me and is a good background to the bamboo/rattan pieces I have. It is hard sometimes to make decisions but if you take your time and look at all the pictures and projects in this thread you will come up with something that works for you.

I am looking forward to more pictures from you and can't wait to see all your liquor bottles on the back bar...I think it will add even more depth and energy to your space. Great re-purposing!!!

TT

Aloha Zinctiki!

My wife and I bought a bar just like your second one from a kid in Oklahoma City about a year ago. I thought (when we bought it) it was a one of a kind build, but now I'm curious as to where they were made.

I love the zebra wood top you put on yours! Once we get our home bar a little bit more complete, I'll throw up some pix for all to see.

Also, really digging the pix of the first bar and shelves you paired up! Great work.

Z

Vamp, thank you so much for the ideas. I haven't done much except to collect more stuff for the room. It's been 90s and 100s here for weeks. The bar top glaze coat needs sub-80s temps to work. So do I for that matter!

Found some tapa and wall material on Craigslist, and at OA, that takes up space I need for working for now. Will post progress when it cools down out here.

Z

On 2014-06-06 05:29, Tiki Tex wrote:
Aloha Zinctiki!

My wife and I bought a bar just like your second one from a kid in Oklahoma City about a year ago. I thought (when we bought it) it was a one of a kind build, but now I'm curious as to where they were made.

I love the zebra wood top you put on yours! Once we get our home bar a little bit more complete, I'll throw up some pix for all to see.

Also, really digging the pix of the first bar and shelves you paired up! Great work.

Thanks, Tex. I surfed the 'net and found at least five more of these bars (one was posted on TC a while back!) so it seems they aren't very rare. There are some slight variations but most are just like this one, and most had restored tops as the particle board wasn't sealed on the sides and swells with moisture.

What great saves you have achieved. The room looks like a wonderland. Excellent, Wendy

Z

Still chipping away at this project. Though I'm a n00b with epoxy, I love Glaze Coat.

This was after a coat or two of stain. Drying in the yard.

Then the Glaze Coat.

The reflected angles are from the (open) garage door overhead. STILL not finished with it. No tikiphiles here but me.

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2014-12-08 21:00 ]

On 2014-12-08 16:48, Zinctiki wrote:
Still chipping away at this project. Though I'm a n00b with epoxy, I love Glaze Coat.

This was after a coat or two of stain. Drying in the yard.

Then the Glaze Coat.

The reflected angles are from the (open) garage door overhead. STILL not finished with it. No tikiphiles here but me.
Dat’s impressive!
Cheers

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2014-12-08 21:00 ]

Zinctiki - you have saved great artifacts and wonderfully renewed them. I've been keeping watch on the roadside junk piles; there is something about found objects that we all enjoy!

Just keeps getting better and better. My bar top could use some glazing!!! Yours looks fabulous.

N

You are on your way to becoming known as the roadside renovation king. Lovely work. It is so good to see these forlorn pieces getting the elbow grease they need to get them to better-than-new condition!

Pages: 1 2 65 replies