Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Tiki bar found on road dead... almost.

Pages: 1 2 65 replies

Z

I found this bar on the sidewalk waiting for the garbage truck. Couldn't let it go that way. Although I plan to make my own large bar for a decent sized room, this thing cried out for help. I removed a lot of white spray paint from the front using acetone in a spray bottle and a toothbrush taped to a sabre saw (highly recommended for removing paint from difficult recessed areas) without further damaging the finish. Sanded the few remains of finish off the top, which was probably in the worst shape. The wood has a nice grain.

I'm not quite sure where to go from here though. Maybe match the stain then lacquer? Any suggestions? Has anyone restored something this worn out?

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2011-10-15 20:25 ]

Toothbrush on a jigsaw - brilliant!

I refinshed a chair last summer that was in rough shape. Not as rough as this, but close. I sanded it down, stained it and then varnished the hell out of it. I didn't try to match the stain since I didn't like the color. If you want to preserve the color of the bar as is, then you may need to do a lot of color matching, maybe on the bottom to find the right shade of stain, then apply two or three coats of the varnish.

....and a fantastic find by the way!

[ Edited by: ErkNoLikeFire 2011-10-15 21:08 ]

It looks like it has good bones...and free...good save. Sorry, no help from me but post pictures when you finish it. Seems like the same dark stain would be advisable.

T

I like it like it is.
The top could use some help.
In a dark tiki bar the old look of it is just right.
But if you wanted you could shellac it.
Do test spots on the back side legs to see if you like the results.
The shellac will blend in the worn out areas.
Use the amber on the far right of photo.
Nice bar!!!

Z

Thank you all for responding. I'll try the Shellac, it sounds relatively quick - and I have zero free time.

The remaining bits of finish have since been removed from the top railing, practically by rubbing by hand. It was almost dangerous how the hard slivers would fall off or jab the fingers. The rest I hope to preserve under the Shellac. Thanks for the suggestions, ErkNoLikeFire and tikiskip!
I'll test underneath the bar to decide.

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2011-10-17 09:14 ]

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2011-10-17 09:15 ]

That's a hell of a dumpster dive my friend. Can't wait to see it when you refinish

Z

I did some more work on it today. Still looking for a decent stain for rough areas. The amber shellac looks good, though.

In the meantime I stumbled upon this life-size mermaid coffee table, a guy down the street decided to move and sell everything. $10 was fair I thought. It was also very rough, the paint was sloppy '80s pastels that were chipped and over-sprayed everywhere. I painted her gloss black and intend to sand then highlight her next. The artist isn't bad. I hope she turns out okay :P

Your killing me! how are you finding this stuff.

You paid $10? I'll give ya $20. That's twice the profit (in low annoying voice)
Seriously jealous on that find, good job sir!!

Chuck: Honestly, I have a retired neighbor friend who is a full-time bargain hunter. After casually mentioning my passion for tiki and oceanic arts, she's been like a tiki bloodhound finding these things as well as tiki mugs and other gems for me. Everyone should have such a good neighbor.

ErkNoLikeFire: When I'm finished restoring it I may have to pay someone to take it away!

Nice mermaid, is carved wood or a cast material like resin or plaster?

I need me one of those "neighbor bargain hunter's" lets see what you fiend next?

Mike: Both plaster and fiberglass I think. Top has plaster and some iron rod showing, underneath is certainly fiberglass. Go figure.

T

WOW! All I can say is WOW!

T

WOW! All I can say is WOW!

C

can't wait to see what these look like when you are done with them! great finds!

OMG...that mermaid is a knock-out!!! You are indeed lucky to have your own personal shopper.

Z

Took the rattan bar to my brother-in-law woodworker to match the stain. He's got everything. Although the original pics look lighter it's the same color stain, a red mahogany. After it dries we'll use his setup to spray it with a lot of varnish (per his suggestion, having the equipment). I'll use a combination of high gloss for the top and maybe satin for the sides. Not sure yet. I left plenty of glitches to keep the vintage worn look without looking completely worn out.

So happy to have saved this from the dumpster.

Wow! Tremendous difference. Looks great!!!

Do you know you can upload your pictures directly to Tiki Central because all I'm seeing is picture of a frog in an ice cube?

On 2011-10-30 23:04, atomictonytiki wrote:
Do you know you can upload your pictures directly to Tiki Central because all I'm seeing is picture of a frog in an ice cube?

Sorry, Tony, no I didn't know that. Much easier than linking to another site!

This is as I found it - after cleaning off white spray paint.

This is from today after prep and staining.

I'm gonna like varnishing it :)

Now I can see it that's a nice bar and a great find :)

W

Wow! Nice job, it's a beauty.

Chris
WestADad

It is looking very classy...good job!!!

Z

Well, the shots aren't great but there are now 6 to 8 layers of varnish in various places. Had to see how many goodies it can stock - quite a lot.

Great work. Good to see it fully loaded and ready to go. Nice find.

M

Any thoutghs on mounting a tiki or shield on the front of that bar?

Z

On 2011-11-07 05:45, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Great work. Good to see it fully loaded and ready to go. Nice find.

And now broken in :)

On 2011-11-07 07:15, mudbone wrote:
Any thoutghs on mounting a tiki or shield on the front of that bar?

Yes. It's a little too rattan for a Witco knock off so I'll probably find something tiki for the front and sides.

Nice score on the re-bar!

Nice flooring too.

Don't waste time and money with base boards in the room upstairs.

They'll all be covered floor to ceiling. :wink:

Looks great! I like this picture with the heavenly sunlight streaming down upon it and the rainbow halo. If listen closely you can hear the angels singing "Hallelujia!" :lol:

Z

On 2011-11-08 01:40, MadDogMike wrote:
Looks great! I like this picture with the heavenly sunlight streaming down upon it and the rainbow halo. If listen closely you can hear the angels singing "Hallelujia!" :lol:

Thanks, Mike. I heard something like angry villagers after a few of my Frankenstein rum concoctions :P

On 2011-11-07 18:44, RevBambooBen wrote:
Nice score on the re-bar!

Nice flooring too.

Don't waste time and money with base boards in the room upstairs.

They'll all be covered floor to ceiling. :wink:

Thanks, Ben. Got the flooring in Little Saigon fer cheap. Lotta work though. Will not buy baseboard then!]

Z

Here we go again, could have named the thread "Bar Rescue" but that's taken I think.

Here's another one that was saved from the dumpster by a couple of hours. It sat in a yard for years but was too big and heavy to lift over the fence or it would have been gone long ago. Lots of pressed wood made even me hesitate this time, but the tapered base was just too interesting. This is how I found it, leaves and all:

The light bulb wire had been chewed through by a mouse. The pressed wood top was warped and cracked, so I knocked off the top layer and belt-sanded off the glued portions. A plywood top is going on today with a zebrawood veneer next. Not sure about stain yet (ideas?)

Great project, love those restorations jobs
be sure to show us the finished results.

Wow, another great find for you. Obviously you are destined to "raise the dead" with a sander and a paint brush. Got pictures of where you first refinish ended up in your home? Where are you planning on putting the new find?

Z

On 2014-05-04 17:12, VampiressRN wrote:
Wow, another great find for you. Obviously you are destined to "raise the dead" with a sander and a paint brush. Got pictures of where you first refinish ended up in your home? Where are you planning on putting the new find?

Well Vamp, I still haven't finished the tiki room so the old bar's getting worked hard in the dining area while it awaits its fate. We did need the extra rum&stuff storage so it's been useful. As to the new find, I don't know. Can't resist rescuing these old bars. Probably sell one or both and build a larger bar upstairs. That was the original plan before life interfered - as it tends to do.

Oh, and I found the original photo of the first one on the curb awaiting the trash truck.

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2014-05-04 18:51 ]

Z

A little OT, I rescued this 6'W x6.5'H wicker shelf a while back. It was another barely-standing thing after being outside for 3 years. There were even eggs inside the enclosed shelves!

These wicker shelves are usually a dime a dozen but this one had some decent work in it and the size is huge. So it's now mine and about 80% restored.

Wow...if you stained that dark, it would make a great back bar for your other dark bar...JMHO. You must have a pick-up truck...it would be fun dumpster diving with you...LOL

Z

Neighbor has a pickup. But my van carries the costlier refurb materials.

Excellent idea about making the wicker match the bar! Gonna try it.

[ Edited by: Zinctiki 2014-05-05 15:31 ]

TT

I picked up a bar like your second "find" in OKC about a year ago. I was shocked to see another one like it! Does anybody know the history / lineage of them? I am now quite curious to learn a bit more about the bar. I'll have to find the pix of when we got it vs. how it looks today...

YEAH....so glad you are going to stain and pair with your first bar...that dark stain looks classy!!!

My bar is a 60's number in a yellow oak finish...when I bought a cabinet to use as the backbar, I had my handyman stain it a little darker to match...I think it turned out OK, it works for me. That storage unit you have looks pretty big...you may have to add stabilization framing to the back, as I think you will be able to store a hoard of alcohol bottles and mixers on there. Can hardly wait to see it.

These finds - and fixes - are AMAZING!!! Fantastic on all counts!

Color me jealous!

Z

On 2014-05-05 19:09, Tiki Tex wrote:
I picked up a bar like your second "find" in OKC about a year ago. I was shocked to see another one like it! Does anybody know the history / lineage of them? I am now quite curious to learn a bit more about the bar. I'll have to find the pix of when we got it vs. how it looks today...

Does yours have particle board shelves and top? I haven't seen any markings on it. Probably an old Kmart or Gemco thing (remember them?)

WOW! You say those wicker shelves are a dime a dozen, but I have NEVER seen anything like that around these parts. Wish I did because I would snatch one up if it was cheap.

• Dale

Good stuff
Now get da bar done so we can see them all together
:)

Jon

NO PRESSURE.....Git 'er done!!!!

Z

On 2014-05-08 19:44, littlegiles wrote:
WOW! You say those wicker shelves are a dime a dozen, but I have NEVER seen anything like that around these parts. Wish I did because I would snatch one up if it was cheap.

• Dale

Well, I meant wicker shelves in general. They usually have something similar to this center section but shorter. The size and design of this one I haven't seen either. Paid $20 to haul it away btw. Same for the 'new' bar.

H

So many refinishing projects can be cringeworthy, but you're bringing these souls back from the brink of death, I love it! Great work!

Pages: 1 2 65 replies