Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Queen Palm Root Ball in the Oven

Pages: 1 2 90 replies

K

For those who saw the High Fiber Hiarball photo and wondered how it turned out. Here is the El Gato
Tom & Hairy Tiki, before and after his trip to the Emergency Burn Unit. I took Aloha Stations
suggestion to just let the abnormality hang and add to the feel of this tiki.

[ Edited by: Keylo 2011-11-04 10:25 ]

[ Edited by: Keylo 2011-11-15 22:04 ]

[ Edited by: Keylo 2011-11-30 08:55 ]

[ Edited by: Keylo 2011-12-19 12:58 ]

[ Edited by: Keylo 2016-01-22 20:43 ]

[ Edited by: Keylo 2016-04-18 21:00 ]

[ Edited by: Keylo 2016-06-28 09:36 ]

M

Holy sandbagger Batman!

Nice work right der!

Thanks for setting this one straight Aloha! (jk)

Mahalo

McTiki

C
cy posted on Thu, Oct 20, 2011 1:03 PM

Geez Keylo, what the hell are you asking our advice for? Great looking tiki!

N

WHOA! Are you sure that's the same log?!?! Looks awesome...keep up the good work.

That is pretty wonderful! I love it!

K
Keylo posted on Thu, Oct 20, 2011 9:00 PM

Thanks for the comps on this tiki everyone.
Fortunately the bad spot was on the back and not on his nose. Since this tiki was going to
have some ruff places and since I have never torched one, I thought I would fire this one up.
I found out the hard way you should keep a water spray bottle close by. Especially on a log like
this one. By the time I ran to the house for the spray bottle and got back, he had almost become
a Tiki Briquette.

Mahalo,
Keylo

Looks great. If you can do this good with a crappy log then we're really looking forward to see what you can do when you get a nice piece of palm.

P

well played...

K
Keylo posted on Fri, Oct 21, 2011 6:22 PM

Thanks Mad Dog but I have carved some really ugly pieces out of some of my best stock.

PJC, thanks, hope you got some of those waves that came in on your side.

I tested a small area of spar varnish today on the char grilled tiki.
My fear proved true, brushing the burnt areas and the unburnt areas at
the same time, reduces the contrast that I would like to keep.

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep the contrast I have and also weather proof
it for being an outside pet?

Impressive work. Keep carving and sharing. 8)

Really love the mouth on this guy... and nice carves overall!

Nice job!!!

K
Keylo posted on Sat, Oct 22, 2011 8:59 AM

Thanks Savage Daddy - thats quite a mad Rootball!

Thanks Lake Surfer, funny thing is, I had it drawn up one way and while carving
decided to go another direction, and sometimes that works out.
Your work is killer stuff, its liking going to the candy store for eyes. 52 degrees here this morning
no waves but it made me think of that shot of you out on the Big Lake, wearing the
rubber seal suit, loving the whole vibe. Hardcore to the core!

VampiressRn, thanks for your words and stoppin and checking the vitals on the burn patient.

K
Keylo posted on Sat, Oct 22, 2011 9:11 AM

A fun project I did several weeks back. I developed a logo for a friend and
fellow TC bro for his Blowfish Tiki Bar and then made a sign out of Red Oak
for him as well.

Thanks for Droppin in,
Mahalo,
Keylo

N

you do some really nice work brother...what took you so long to post up!?!?!

keep on carvin and keep on postin

K
Keylo posted on Sat, Oct 22, 2011 8:01 PM

Nixxon, thanks for the kind words. As far as posting, it is just a matter of time
for me.

K
Keylo posted on Sun, Oct 23, 2011 2:05 PM

I started carving a crown on this log and had started cutting the wrong line of which there was no recovery.
So, I flipped it upside down, decided I could make feet out of my blunder and you see the rest
of the story.

N

wow, very nice recovery. I really like the color on that piece.

K
Keylo posted on Sun, Oct 23, 2011 2:21 PM

A fellow TC'er wanted a tiki made like the famous one of the Kona Kai Bar & Restaurant.
Heres the matchbook and my shot at the Kona Kai. I took my measurements off the menu
because it had the full figure, but the figures are a little different, so my tikis head
is a little more elongated than the one on the matchbook.

K
Keylo posted on Sun, Oct 23, 2011 2:34 PM

Most people don't think of tiki's when they think of Chik-Fil-A. But I got a call
to bring over some tikis to mix it up with the Chicken,..ah I mean Cow. It was for
thier Hawaiian nite and I only had a few tikis on me so this guy made it over there
with his Uke and grass skirt in his birthday suit without proper staining. Does this
bring another meaning to Holy Cow?

Heres King Uke-A-Hana properly stianed.

Thanks for droppin In,
Mahalo,
Keylo

You've been sand-baggin us. Great stuff!

Cool grass skirt and great Marquesan inspired tiki too. Way to turn an epic fail into an epic success!

I can see the graphic art background kicking in with the borders around the pics, makes them look more professional somehow. Hmmm... I may have to steal that trick - sometimes my work needs all the help it can get :lol:

L

Very nice stuff!
Congrats! And keep posting!

holy cow ......your stuff is great and nice finish on the dry logo,,,,,got a good style

K
Keylo posted on Mon, Oct 24, 2011 6:36 AM

Nixxon, thanks man. I think at times a lot of my carving up to this point
has been learning how to hide my mistakes. That one (the "Pray Hard" Marq) worked out.

Aloha Station, thanks a heap for the comp. I'm trying to knock the sand off and be more social,
but really, just an out of work designer. So I really haven't had much time to post in the past,
Carving was my release from micro managing microscopic pixels in the world of Graphic Artica.
With carving I hack big chucks and let the pieces fall where they may.

Mad Dog, thanks man, yeah the design disease I have you don't want. Unless you don't like to sleep.

Laojia, Merci beaucoup for the comps and droppin in from such a long distance.

Creative Chimp, thanks fellow pixel monky, the logo was a fun retro project

K
Keylo posted on Mon, Oct 24, 2011 2:24 PM

finished the color on the tiki I torched a couple days back. I am now calling it "Ben Chard"

A
amate posted on Tue, Oct 25, 2011 9:14 AM

Outstanding work Keylo! Hope to see more.

K
Keylo posted on Tue, Oct 25, 2011 9:30 AM

Amate, thanks man, funny i was just over on your thread drooling at all that unreal stuff you got goin
on. Its incredible. Thanks for droppin in!

K
Keylo posted on Fri, Nov 4, 2011 10:24 AM

Went to the saw horse with a round log and decided I wanted to
try something different and more square. Took the grinder and made
a rod log into a square one . Changed the design and hacked out this Block Head.

Mahalo for those traveling this way!

Keylo

Nice tweak to a classic design -- thumbs up!

M
McTiki posted on Fri, Nov 4, 2011 4:53 PM

That is a nice piece man!

I know what a bitch ripping it is But, look at the canvas!

Mahalo

McTiki

Nice new take on a classic Marquesan, I don't think I've seen that before

K
Keylo posted on Sun, Nov 6, 2011 2:25 PM

Thanks Castaway, McTiki, Mad Dog for stoppin by and for your comments
on the little Squared Maq.

man...i love the style you put into your stuff.....got its own flaver!

P

Diggin' the style bro!

K
Keylo posted on Sun, Nov 13, 2011 7:01 PM

Chimp & PJC, thanks for dropping in and your comps on my work.

N

That square marq looks awesome...very creative...and very original...what else ya got?!?!

K
Keylo posted on Tue, Nov 15, 2011 8:22 PM

Thanks Nixxon for your word about the Marq. Anymore? well someday, but my mantra is Manana and my pace is Island Style. Maybe I could dig up some from the past. Mahalo

K
Keylo posted on Tue, Nov 15, 2011 9:56 PM

I am taking this post off since this tiki was one the first tikis I carved and should be at the begining of my thread so you can see my progress good or bad. Mahaloz

[ Edited by: Keylo 2011-11-30 07:16 ]

A
amate posted on Fri, Nov 18, 2011 4:04 PM

I don't know what a "woodhogger" is but it sounds like a tool I should have. :)

K
Keylo posted on Fri, Nov 18, 2011 6:16 PM

I found another thread that talks about tools carvers use and feel the "Woodhog" maybe better posted there. So check out the thread by Benzart, Tools That Carvers Use. It has some great info!! Thanks Ben for starting that!

[ Edited by: Keylo 2011-11-30 07:22 ]

Keylo - those marqs on the last page are AWESOME! You're really onto a cool design idea there! Everything is looking real good!

PS - I know some marines who would love the last one you carved!

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2011-11-19 08:07 ]

K
Keylo posted on Wed, Nov 30, 2011 7:28 AM

Polynesiac, thanks for stopping by, and sharing some encouraging words abut those Marq's. Your stuff is always inspiring to look at and very cool!!
The Hooah Tiki was for a agency I worked at that did promo stuff for the military, a few years back.

Yeah, your stuff is really well done! I'm partial to the Kona Kai one though, I went there when I was a tot.
Keep 'em coming!

K

Surfintiki, thanks for droppin in and for the props on this bums stuff. Enjoyed your thread, and talk about well done, your stuff rattles the bones it is so bone jarring good!! Hope your hand heals quickly so you can get back to shredding, wood, bone, waves and the 6 string axe. Looks like you invested in a Go Pro cam, nice pic but looks like you might of had to put anti-freeze on the lens. You and Great Lake or the core when it comes to cold. Mahalo

Man, King uke hana is way kool,dig the grass skirt!Look'n forward to see'n some more
pieces.Cheers Watango

K
Keylo posted on Mon, Dec 5, 2011 6:16 PM

thanks for the comps on King Uke-A-Hana. It might be a while before I post anything new, since King Uke-A-Hana was seen by a few local natives around here, it looks like I will be carving up Ukuleles and grass skirts for my next couple of projects or so. Thanks for droppin in.

K
Keylo posted on Thu, Dec 8, 2011 5:35 PM

Sometimes when it rains it pours. It's raining Ukulele's & Grass Skirts in my backyard. Since making one Ukulele tiki with a grass skirt there have been a rash of local natives in my area wanting one. This is number 3 with one more to go. It isn't exactly new but the head and base are. Stain to come.

Mahalo to those passing by.

Pages: 1 2 90 replies