Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Condolences to Caltiki Brent "Congawa" for your loss

Pages: 1 20 replies

Over the Halloween holiday Brent lost both his mother & stepfather to a fire at their home

There are no words to express our heartfelt sympathy to you and your family, Brent
we will be here for you, Hang in there! & know we all love you!

T

Brent, Pat and I offer our deepest sympathies. We so enjoyed your company at the Mai-Kai during Hukilau 2011.

-Tom

T

Deepest Condolences, Brent.

H

Brent, so sorry to hear this. You have my sincere sympathy.

My condolences for your loss.

So sorry Brent.
Sending you prayers and condolences...

Brent - Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

What awful news. So sorry for your loss.

I cannot even fathom the grief you must be going through. I am very sorry for your loss.

MR

So sorry Brent. Terrible news. Try and stay positive and remember the wonderful times.

J
JOHN-O posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2011 7:20 AM

Brent,

I've always enjoyed hearing your stories about your mother dragging you to Tiki restaurants when you were a child, as well as her various writing projects. She was definitely a "Cool Mom" for her time and I would surmise a great influence on your interests and expertise on so many things.

I was sorry to hear about this sudden tragedy.

Stay strong.

My thoughts & strength is with you.
Just know that you have us all here for support.

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2011 10:53 AM

Brent - I'm sorry to hear this tragic news. My condolences to the family and always trust my prayers are with you. G

Condolences and Prayers to you and your family Brent.

J
JOHN-O posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2011 1:57 PM

Here's an article in the L.A. Times on Brent's mother and her career...

Doris Walker-Smith dies at 78; Dana Point historian

TM

I don't even know what to say here. This is very sad.

My condolences, and more that that, my prayers for you and your family.

C

Many thanks to all of you for your condolences, which I'll pass on to my brother and family as well. My mother is the one who originally introduced me to "Tiki" when I was single-digits, with her Martin Denny and Arthur Lyman records, and trips to the Outrigger in South Laguna for Sunday brunch. She was sharp, vibrant and busy right to the end--I was in the process of scanning some slides for a whale talk she was going to give the following week when I received the news from my brother.

In the past week, we have been involved in the difficult task of trying to salvage what we can from the fire. Fortunately, there were a lot of slides and photos that were able to be retrieved (though some water and fire damaged), and some book materials (I am going to do everything I can to keep her history books on Dana Point in print). I found slides marked Hawaii, which probably include her stay at the Coco Palms in 1974, and our 1978 4-island Hawaiian vacation (which also included a visit to the Coco Palms). If so, once all the asbestos/smoke cleanup occurs and I'm able to access them from their current (safe) location, I'll scan and post anything interesting I find here as her contribution to TC.

I had tickets for my wife and I to the Tikiyaki Orchestra Dons show on Saturday, and I was initially figuring I would not go. However, after the difficult week, I decided it would be a good mental break, and I really appreciate the many heartfelt thoughts and prayers (and drinks) from the Ohana. I also remembered that I had first gone there with my mother back in the Sam's Seafood days, so there was a full-circle connection.

Caltiki Brent

It was good to see you out and about, Brent.
Sorry about the Mug in the face......

RD

Brent, I am sorry to hear about the loss of your loved one’s. To lose them in such an unexpected and untimely manner does not seem fair. The article that John-O posted shows that your mother was a truly remarkable person. You have my deepest condolences.

H

Our Prayers and Sympathies to Brent and the Family

Brent,

Once again, so sorry to hear of this terrible loss for you and your family.
She seemed like a great lady.

thanks for posting that Article John O.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 20 replies