Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

Mike Adler R.I.P. 11-7-2011

Pages: 1 42 replies

This morning the Tiki Community lost one of it's own. In the presence of his family and comfort of his home Mike Adler left us early this morning peacefully.

His battle with cancer was hard fought and mercifully short-lived. His attitude right up to the end was that he'll be back working at the shop in December and off to Puerto Vallarta in the Spring.

He was very happy to see all the pictures and those that contributed and attended "his party" at Don the Beachcomber back in September. When I last spoke to him he was still very interested in the happenings in the Tiki Community like how was the party? And who was there?

Mike is survived by his wife and best friend Karen, his son Dakota and lovely daughter Makenna. Please keep them in your prayers during this tough time. And please show your support in your own way AND to continue shopping at The Picture Show Gallery, their family business.

As I know Mike, I'm sure that he has already saved a table by the pool in Paradise and will be keeping an eye out and a smile for all of us.

WE WILL MISS YOU MIKE!
SoccerTiki & WooHooWahine

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2011-11-08 08:28 ]

J
JOHN-O posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2011 7:21 AM

My condolences to the family.

HT

Sorry for your loss, The Brittan family.

T

Mike will be truely missed. The suffering is over and now is the time for all to heal in this loss . God Bless you Mike . You made a difference with your presence .

Awoke this morning to the sad news that Mike is cancer free but not in the way we all had hoped and prayed for. Condolences, prayers and strength to the Adler family.

During Mojave Oasis, and coincidentally Mike's 50th birthday, he was volunteering at the front gate checking people in but kept running over to our trailer site chatting with Ray and I. Ray was smoking up a big batch of ribs and he spent time talking with us about bbq'ing etc. During the conversation, Mike was joking around about being 50 and said to us "You know, if I died tomorrow I'd die a happy man. I married my best friend, I have great kids and the best friends and I couldn't ask for more. I've got a great life." Such a positive, happy person that will truly be missed.

Rest in Peace Mike. :(

T

A great guy. A great loss.
Rest in peace, Picture Show Mike.
My Condolences to the Adler family.

I'm so sorry to read this. While I didn't know Mike, my husband is currently battling cancer and words can't describe how difficult it can be.

My thoughts and prayers are with the Adler family.

My thoughts and prayers are with his wife and children. So many emotions at this time - overwhelming grief, yet relief that they don't have to suffer anymore. Uncertainty of the future but the comfort of family and friends.

CA

Mike's physical loss will be a hard thing to deal with.
A happy inviting face lives eternal in my memories... Mike is the best, we are blessed to know him.

Adler's, you are in our thoughts.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Nov 7, 2011 9:27 AM

Well, damn. This is very sad news. This is the last thing I expected to see posted. I was sure Mike was going to beat cancer, and we'd be seeing him at Tiki events again.Condolences to the Adler family.

And good luck to your husband, tropical*honey.

My condolences to his family and close friends.
I'll remember him as always hanging out by the pool, handing out his Picture Show cups. He was just an amazing supporter of artists in the scene.
I'm sure gonna miss him.

My condolences to the Adler family. Mike you will be missed. You were loved by so many and many hearts have an emptiness inside today. But we know you are no longer suffering. And are watching us from paradise above. God bless you and your family.

Sad to hear of his passing.
Happy that I got to meet him during his short stay in our world.

I never actually got to meet Mike, but it is very obvious he was a wonderful person from how everyone talks about him. My condolences to the family I am sorry for your loss. Having lost my grandmother due to cancer and my sister currently fighting it, I deeply empathize.

P

So sad to hear this. I stopped in at Picture Show Gallery before the Tikiyaki show on Saturday. I was told that the news was bad. Mike will be missed.

Sorry to see this news. Condolences to all of Mike's family & friends.

Mike created smiles and fun wherever he went with his laughter and positive aura. He effortlessly embodied what alot of us strive to be - permanently stoked! I feel extremely fortunate to have called him my friend and that we had the oppurtunity to share some great times together. His spirit and those times will never fade from my memory. He is for sure saving us all a seat by the pool for when we will meet again! Aloha'Oe

Why is it we always loose the good ones, way before their time?
all my best wishes to Mike's family.

"The more you are blessed, the more it hurts when you lose that blessing."
All my thoughts are with the Adler family at this sad, sad time.

Adler Family, I am so sorry for your loss. Mike was an amazing man, warm, big hearted, loving, we are all better people for knowing him and being friends. He will be missed and remembered well.... Love to all during this tough time..

Amy and Ray

My condolences to Mike's family and all of his friends. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

[ Edited by: The Blue Kahuna 2011-11-07 17:57 ]

C

Rest in peace Mike. Condolences to the Adler family and all his friends.

Caltiki Brent

Condolences to the family and friends.

We're going to miss you Mike
but will keep you in our warm memories and hearts forever.
You were one of the good ones...
Sending prayers and condolences to your family.

T

Had a nice visit with Karen and the family tonight. Karen is an amazing woman and appreciates all the positive thoughts and best wishes. She and the kids are staying strong together. Mike leaves behind an incredible family.

M

Inky and I send our condolences. What shocking and sad news this is!

RD

I want to cry. To lose someone like this way before their time hurts. Mike was my first contact with the tiki community. Seal Beach was my hometown growing up. Over the last several years I would frequently stop in his store when I was in town visiting my mother. Mike was such a vivacious, energetic, and enthusiastic person. His personality made me want to buy all the stuff he had. Little by little my home was starting to look like an extension of his store.

The first tiki event I ever attended was at Caliente II. I do not remember how I found out about the event. I think I read an advertisement in the first Tiki Magazine I ever bought. I did not know what to expect since I was not part of the tiki scene and worried that I would be perceived as an intruder or outsider. As my wife and I entered the event we took no more that 5 steps before Mike recognized me as we walked through the pool area. He greeted us with a warm hello. He told us that there was nothing to worry about, explained how everything was and worked, and that we were going to have the time of our lives. He was right.

We will miss you Mike Adler. Heaven is going to have some kick-ass barbeques.

H

Our Condolences to Mike's Family and Friends...Aloha`Oe

Mike was one of my best friends, nobody could smile and say "Johnny" the way he did. Mike made everything fun, I already miss him.

So very sad to hear this news, Mike was the Best!

I met Mike back in 96 or 97, shortly after getting into Tiki.
Needing to get some art from Hawaii Framed. We went down to his shop to have it done.
He commented on how cool the art was, and the nice Koa wood frames that we had to put it in.
Whenever the pics would slip a bit, he said bring them in, and I'll re-aline them no charge.
Whenever I saw him at Tiki events, he always asked how my parents were, and that I should make them come out more.

I have a bunch of stuff that needs to be framed, and I vow to have it all done at Mike's shop.
It'll just be a bummer to not see him there smiling behind the counter.
But I know the Money will be going to his family.

My deepest sympathies go out to the Adler Family and friends.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2011-11-15 11:30 ]

TT

Adler family, Red Patti and I are sorry for your loss. Mike was a great human being. We were luck enough to be in at Mojave Oasis for his birthday to help him celebrate his life. It's so sad the community lost one of the good ones.

R

I'm shocked to hear he passed so soon. I remember seeing him at the first Mojave Oasis and how optimistic he was and just how stoked he was to be with his wife (or his best friend, as he referred to her), his kids, friends, and being able to celebrate his birthday... He was such an awesome happy guy and supporter of the artists; he really will be missed...
My deepest sympathies and heartfelt condolences to the Adler family and his friends...

MB

Wow, this is rough.

Adler was top notch in every sense of the word. Beautiful wife, beautiful kids and a killer shop. The So Cal Tiki community will miss him dearly. The Bamboo Ben Tribe will miss him immensely as a friend and a business associate.

A card or note might be nice to send because I don't believe Karen Adler participates here on TC. Adler's Caring Bridge site provides an address or I'm sure you can send C/O The Picture Show Gallery.

Yuh, this is rough.

Mahalo,

Mrs Boo

The loss of such a dear, sweet man is such a huge blow to the Tiki Community. We will always remember his smile, and the warmth of his spirit. Mike Adler will truly be missed.

The Adler family has asked in lieu of flowers to please make a donation to the following foundation http://www.pacificshoresfoundation.org. Mike's doctor is affiliated with this foundation. Click on the link and you will find "donations" in the left column.

Mike was always so nice to my sister and I whenever we saw him. I wish the best for his family.

Roxanne

Such a tragic loss of one of the friendliest and most genuine guys ever. I will miss Mike's energy and passion for life. Sending thoughts and prayers.

i just found out the sad news and was totally shocked and saddened. my thoughts go out to mikes family.
mike and i always exchanges alohas and fun small talk at all the tiki events. i always enjoyed seeing him and his smile. he had a great vibe about him and he will be missed.
take care......
sincerly,
tony marsico

From Karen Adler (Mike's wife):

To all of Mike's loyal customers, friends and aquaintences,

I am writing this deeply saddened and with a heavy heart that Mike passed away on November 7th due to stomach cancer. He was my best friend, husband, and father of our two children for a wonderful 32 years. He will be missed by all who have crossed paths with him.

We will be having a memorial service in Seal Beach on December 4 at 11:30 in the morning. It will take place on the grass on the north side of the pier overlooking the ocean. If you would like to share a memory of Mike please feel free to do so. Find out more information at Caringbridge.org enter mikeadler (one word). Thank you all for being such loyal customers but most of all freinds of Mikes. He will be truly missed.

Sincerley,
Karen Adler

***There will be a reception at Don the Beachcomber immediately following the service. Light food will be served along with a no-host bar and music. Come share your experiences with Mike and show your support to a wonderful family!

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2011-11-20 09:38 ]

From Karen Adler (Mike's wife):

To all of Mike's loyal customers, friends and aquaintences,

I am writing this deeply saddened and with a heavy heart that Mike passed away on November 7th due to stomach cancer. He was my best friend, husband, and father of our two children for a wonderful 32 years. He will be missed by all who have crossed paths with him.

We will be having a memorial service in Seal Beach on December 4 at 11:30 in the morning. It will take place on the grass on the north side of the pier overlooking the ocean. If you would like to share a memory of Mike please feel free to do so. Find out more information at Caringbridge.org enter mikeadler (one word). Thank you all for being such loyal customers but most of all friends of Mike. He will be truly missed.

Sincerley,
Karen Adler

***There will be a reception at Don the Beachcomber immediately following the service. Food will be served along with a no-host bar and live music. Come share your experiences with Mike and show your support to a wonderful family!

With all the other activities going on this coming weekend, I thought this should be "bumped" up to remind everyone that a very active member of the Tiki Central community has left us. Mike always threw a good party and made sure everyone was happy. Karen, his wife will continue that tradition at Don the Beachcomber. So come down and celebrate Mike's life with friends and family in the Hidden Village.

[ Edited by: SoccerTiki 2011-11-29 08:22 ]

Bump! This Sunday join us in celebrating the life of Mike Adler.

Bump for a special person!

Pages: 1 42 replies