Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

San Diego Home Crawl, March 3

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies

The place looks great! Really sorry to hear the bad news Matt, Keep your chin up
A nice guy like you deserves better!

So why doesn't the SD Ohana have a TC night at the Bali Hai?

CTiT out......

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU to all the folks who came on the crawl yesterday! It was so much fun to see how everybody puts their own individual spin on the tiki theme. (I have so many new ideas for my own house that I can't wait to try out!) And I had a blast hanging out with old friends and meeting new ones. I hope everybody else had as good a time as I did!

And another HUGE thank you to our wonderful hosts--Derek and Roxanne, Arian and Rebecca, Harry and Andrea, Jen, Brad and Marion, and Matt--who let us traipse through their houses/yards/trailers. You guys are awesome!

WoohooWahine, you got some great pics of MonkeyMan's place! Thanks for posting! If anybody else has more photos, please share!

S

Derek & Roxanne's South Pacific Room
Arian&Rebecca Hale TiKi Lounge
Harry & Andrea's House
Jen's TiKi Trailer

the coolest Foos Ball game at Harry & Andrea's

Brad & Marions Lava Lounge

April"s House

Matt"s Lava- Flow - Inn

Thanks for opening up your homes and bars for us to enjoy!

M

Had a great time yesterday! Thanks again to everyone who wecomed us into their homes and made all the arangements!
We have lots of new friends and decore ideas, not to mention a hangover. That's what I'm talkin about!

MR

Not sure where to start with the thanks. I guess thanks to everyone involved. Had a really nice time. The crawl was a perfect blend of old friends and new faces. Absolutely wonderful people. Big thanks to April who organized the whole thing. To the hosts for all their effort. For me, the biggest thanks go to Ran, Kick The reverb, for his tireless drink making and display of mixology. Another big thanks goes to Derek, Monkeyman, and Roxanne for all their help and generosity. I gotta admit, my faith in the Tiki scene has been wavering lately. This event proved my fears were unwarranted. Such a pleasant bunch of people that seemed to really care. Made me remember why I got involved in this whole mess in the first place. Thank you, thank you, and thank you.

A

Thanks all for coming out and stopping by our place. April - Thanks for all your work in getting the event organized. It was a lot of fun, and it was great meeting everyone and enjoying the other stops along the tour.

M

I will echo some of the same sentiments as others. Thank you to the event organizers, the hosts, and the crawlers.

This is officially the most people we have ever had in our home and are happy to say that it all came off without a hitch. Everyone was so nice and considerate.

Thanks

TL

April: Thanks again for putting this great home tour together and thanks to all the tiki people who open their homes to all for fun and drinks. We had a blast!! tiki leki plus two

Thanks to all, Michelle (Miss Hell) and I had a great time, met alot of great people, and saw alot of really cool places.

Thanks to everyone or opening up your homes! It was a blast!

Derek and Roxanne, your place has turned out amazing. Seeing the progress you've made on your room was a real treat. Your craftsmanship really shines through. Arian and Rebecca, you show what all of us in in Socal should do with our garages. Who needs a garage? It never rains! But we always have use for a tiki bar! Harry and Andrea, your backyard was a little paradise. And that crazy green drink? Bizarrely tasty! Brad and Marion, the house was amazing! MCM at it's finest! A combination of Palm Springs style and San Diego weather... the perfect combo. April, thanks for organizing this event! Your home packed an amazing amount of vintage fun and the" I Love Lucy" BBQ/fireplace was perfect for the cool evening. Tell your folks I said hello! And Matt--I've heard the stories, I've seen the pictures... yet words or pictures can't describe actually experiencing your place. I'm still blown away. Your place is a work of art, truly an amazing experience!

Thanks again to all of you!

H

I have to add my thanks to all the hosts and organizers as well! The bars were amazing! This was also the friendliest group of people I've met in a long time - I was definitely feeling the aloha spirit. I am hoping this becomes an annual thing, and I would be happy to help organize. Everyone else, hope to see you at Oasis!

H

Wish I had more pics but I suspect the tiki drinks had something to do with that.

Mahalo! Mahalo! Mahalo to SoCalTikiGal for all she did to make this Crawl Happen. A Giant Thank You to ALL the Hosts who opened up their homes to everyone. We can't wait until next year :)

Had such a brilliant time at the San Diego Home Tiki Crawl on Saturday—Thank you to April for all her hard work and organization! We had been looking forward to the crawl for months now—always a pleasure meeting new people, seeing old friends, and sharing inspiration—jaw-dropping, eye ball-popping experiences definitely encountered, thank you SO much for opening all your fantastic homes and sharing.

Also - I happened to find a few "before" pics of my little trailer...more pics to follow later this week:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42441&forum=20&1

MR

Where are all the pictures?

S

more pix comin' at ya Matt

A

I took a couple of photos at our place, one photo at Brad & Marion's, and then I never thought to take another shot. I blame the drinks at Harry & Andrea's.

Some folks had asked for the recipe of the version of Navy Grog we were pouring. Don't usually use Bacardi much, but for a big batch like this it's what we went with. Here it is:

34 oz Bacardi Superior Rum
34 oz Kraken Black Spiced Rum
25 1/2 oz El Dorado 5-Year Demerara Rum
8 3/4 oz Bacardi Select Rum
25 1/2 oz fresh lime juice
19 1/2 oz white grapefruit juice
17 oz Sugar Syrup
9 oz Don's Mix

Mix together, serve over ice and garnish with a mint sprig.

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2012-03-07 18:35 ]

Huge thanks to April and all the hosters. And also thanks to all the crawlers who created such a great vibe.

Dave & Kim

TWO

One of the best barometers for measuring how much fun I had has always been how hung over I am and how angry my wife is at my behavior. Well, both meters pegged. Apologies to all I offended. Anyway, Thanks to April and all the hosts. Your homes are amazing and your hospitality is as well. I saw some really creative ideas that I can't wait to copy for my bar. I would also like to thank Marion and Brad for organizing and driving the van. When I sort through the blurry photos I'll post a few. I hope you all can come to the Nor-Cal home crawl in Sept.

I had a blast on the crawl! Thanks San Diego tiki ohana for making this happen! Looking forward to next year!

On 2012-03-07 06:41, Tai Won On wrote:
One of the best barometers for measuring how much fun I had has always been how hung over I am and how angry my wife is at my behavior. Well, both meters pegged. Apologies to all I offended.

Yup that's one of my barometers too.

H

Some of you guys may have seen my Tiki Foosball Table during the 2012 Home Bar Crawl.
I am trying to find a new home for it, my place is a little too small for it.

So if you, or anyone you know, would enjoy a custom Kona Kiki Soccer Club table for their backyard, please let me know.
It's on Craigslist right now, any offers are welcome!

Tiki Foosball Table -
Customized Tiki Foosball Table looking for a new home.
Unique, hand-painted Tiki illustrations, custom logo Kona Kiki Soccer Club.
All players wear grass skirts and leis. Balls included.
Used condition, legs are detachable for storage.
Awesome addition to your tropical backyard!

[ Edited by: Hairball 2012-03-22 20:40 ]

H

Hello,
our Soccer Table already found a new home, and will make an addition to Brad's tropical gameroom.
That went quicker than I thought, but I am glad people liked it and have fun with it.

Aloha.
Harry

On 2012-03-22 05:35, Hairball wrote:
Some of you guys may have seen my Tiki Foosball Table during the 2012 Home Bar Crawl.
I am trying to find a new home for it, my place is a little too small for it.

So if you, or anyone you know, would enjoy a custom Kona Kiki Soccer Club table for their backyard, please let me know.

[ Edited by: Hairball 2012-03-22 20:40 ]

April,

Elena and I enjoyed the San Diego Home Crawl very much. Thanks for putting this successful event together. We really appreciate all your hard work. We hope to be ready to host next year.

Big Mahalo, John "Tiki Slinger"

[ Edited by: John Slinger 2012-07-26 00:15 ]

It sounds like it was a good time. I hope to have my Tiki Bar ready to go soon, so if you guys do this again, I would love to have people over to my pad as well. I will post some pictures and stuff when it is closer to finished. But please PM me for next year. I would love to be involved!

On 2012-06-13 16:17, lunavideogames wrote:
It sounds like it was a good time. I hope to have my Tiki Bar ready to go soon, so if you guys do this again, I would love to have people over to my pad as well. I will post some pictures and stuff when it is closer to finished. But please PM me for next year. I would love to be involved!

Excellent! I'll be sure to get in touch when we start planning for next year. In the meantime, we look forward to seeing some progress pics of your bar!

On 2012-06-14 11:45, SoCalTikiGal wrote:

On 2012-06-13 16:17, lunavideogames wrote:

Excellent! I'll be sure to get in touch when we start planning for next year. In the meantime, we look forward to seeing some progress pics of your bar!

Are you still continuing to plan the next home crawl? :)

Not planning it yet--let me get through Oasis first! :) I've had a lot of people already express interest in a second crawl, so as long as we have people still willing to host, I hope we can make it happen again.

S

It really was a lot of fun......we're looking forward to the next one. Mary and I would love to host if Fallbrook isn't too far north.

We are on the way to/from Fallbrook.

Might consider hosting again...

You guys should do a North County crawl in the Fall and then we would have the central SD crawl in the Spring! I could spend more time in your bar for sure Derek.

MH

So, when is the next San Diego home tiki bar crawl? It's been almost a year on March 3rd and personally, I'm getting anxious to do it all over again. Thanks!

April - If you need help with planning it out this year, let me know. I'm always available to help.

I would love to do a SD home bar crawl! It would be great to see what other people are doing with their home bars. I would also like to meet some of you guys in my area. So I am in whenever.

Also, my home bar is not 100% yet, but I was going to have a grand opening around then. Mine is just in my garage and I am sure there are a lot of cooler home bars, but I would be glad to host as well. I am a good host and we have the room, but I wouldn't mind being a spectater either. :)

Aloha, all! I just wanted to briefly address the status of the San Diego home bar crawl. I fielded a number of personal messages and emails, but some people have remained anxious about whether another crawl will take place and I realize now I never put anything "official" in Tiki Central.

I suffered some health issues this past winter, and the difficulty of dealing with those precluded my being able to plan the next crawl for last month as I originally wanted to. I've avoided mentioning this for personal reasons, but I realize now that NOT giving a specific reason may have falsely given the impression that I simply am not interested in organizing another crawl...which could not be further from the truth. The last crawl was a blast, and I, for one, can't wait for the next one!

Rest assured, the crawl WILL go on! With so many other events that take place in the summer, it won't be feasible to do it in the next couple of months, but please keep an eye out for additional info to come. (And if you have a bar/yard/space you've mentioned you're interested in sharing, you can sure as heck expect to have me hit you up about hosting!) In the meantime, I look forward to seeing everybody at other upcoming events!

Mahalo!

Pages: 1 2 3 129 replies