Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

How to become a famous artist.

Pages: 1 43 replies

Z
Zeta posted on Wed, Nov 23, 2011 11:21 PM

I am very interested in the art world.
What it takes to "make it" in the art/star system?
I want some advice on what you think are basic steps to become a highly sought after artist. What it takes to sell your art for top dollar?

For example:

1. Never give away your art for free
  2. Kiss ass
  3. sell your art to someone famous
  4. Shock
  5. Be friends with art critics
  6. Be good/original (duh!)

Please add your advice

Develop a sense of Humor.

Have a wealthy patron who loves to show and brag about your art

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Nov 25, 2011 7:24 AM

Sell the most expensive piece of art of all made by any artist alive. (the skull with diamonds.)

Years later, everyone finds out it was your own art dealer/agent who bought the art. Demian Hirst did that.

V
  • grow a beard

• have tattoos

• have a website

• make designs for a skateboard compagny

• suck ass

• and yeah, mostly, be very good, and not a pale copyist.

Z
Zeta posted on Fri, Nov 25, 2011 12:40 PM

Andy Warhol said that if you portrait famous people, famous people will make you famous.

[ Edited by: Zeta 2011-11-25 13:20 ]

Serial Killer !!

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2011-11-25 15:58 ]

-I think Gay is another quality. (I will include that I don't think there is anything wrong with that.)
-Left Handed
-Psychic
-a Old Soul
-the obvious "Famous"

If you are looking to be Rich, well I think you should start another topic. Rich and Famous only comes to the very "Lucky".

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale 2011-11-25 19:01 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Sat, Nov 26, 2011 10:11 AM

Go big or go home.

I guess I'll never be a famous artist :(

-Dead

Postmortem Remarks:

This is one of those questions that makes me cringe
If all you want is to be famous, Then date a kardashian or get on a reality show
Because that's how hollow you probably are?

If you want to be an "Artist" & actually have any talent, Then just do it for the Art
because only 1 percent find any fame in it & then usually after you die....

Sperm Whale said it also, I am with him.

Enjoy your "Fame".

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Nov 27, 2011 3:42 PM

:roll:

Chuck Tatum is so obvious.

"Don't Ask" stupid questions!!!

[ Edited by: revbambooben 2011-11-27 19:33 ]

Z
Zeta posted on Sun, Nov 27, 2011 7:44 PM

Asking questions is what being an artist is all about. Also, not censoring yourself or try to fit in.

On 2011-11-27 18:45, The Sperm Whale wrote:

I could be wrong, but I think what the Sperm Whale's trying to say is that you must possess the primeval inner soul of the painting elephant. And a publicist.

To repeat: I could be wrong.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Nov 28, 2011 8:55 AM

-Piss people off. *

That is always the reaction of some people when they see true art. If you piss people off, you are probably doing something right. What was that famous Einstein quote?... Something like "Great ideas will always find violent opposition from mediocre minds."

• But if you just shock for shock's sake, you will be caught and called shocker and be doubted upon like the boy who cried the wolf. Like Marilyn Manson or Demain Hirst*

Change your name to not be the same as as Mass-Murdering Drug Gang. Maybe "Zed" or "Zhag".

What kind of a
crazy sick,twisted artistic mind
would desire Fame?
Ugh!
Too much hassle and it keeps one away from the easel
doing what they should be doin....
painting!!!
:)

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Nov 28, 2011 10:42 AM

On 2011-11-28 10:25, freddiefreelance wrote:
Change your name to not be the same as as Mass-Murdering Drug Gang. Maybe "Zed" or "Zhag".

I had that nickname before the stupid drug cartel.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Nov 28, 2011 10:46 AM

On 2011-11-28 10:28, little lost tiki wrote:
What kind of a
would desire Fame?
Ugh!
painting!!!

Hypocrite.

All artists want to be famous.
Maybe not themselves, but their art.
I would hate fame like people recognizing me on the street. But I wouldn't mind selling my art for mucho dinero. I want my work to be famou$ who doesn't ?

On 2011-11-28 10:42, Zeta wrote:

On 2011-11-28 10:25, freddiefreelance wrote:

I had that nickname before the stupid drug cartel.

The Zetas have been known by that name for more than a dozen years; you've only been Zeta here for about 2-3 years.

How about shortening your name to ZET? Or ZTA, Zee, Zero Energy Thermonuclear Assembly, or Lost Little Zeta?

H

I do have to agree with Freddie on this one. You should change your moniker or at least market your art under a different name. Though no fault of your own, using the name Zeta is an impediment and possibly a dangerous one too.

Z
Zeta posted on Mon, Nov 28, 2011 1:25 PM

I sign Arizaleta. "Zeta" is my nickname. My nom de plum. My alias.
And Freddie, your math is wrong. I been contributing to Tiki Central for almost 5 years now.

Also, this thread is not about me. It's about art and how to become famous trough it. Me or anyone.

-Cool Hat

On 2011-11-28 10:46, Zeta wrote:

On 2011-11-28 10:28, little lost tiki wrote:
What kind of a
would desire Fame?
Ugh!
painting!!!

Hypocrite.

All artists want to be famous.
Maybe not themselves, but their art.
I would hate fame like people recognizing me on the street. But I wouldn't mind selling my art for mucho dinero. I want my work to be famou$ who doesn't ?

So you want to be in it for the Money?

M
mp posted on Mon, Nov 28, 2011 6:23 PM

Wondering when someone in this thread is going to mention Tiki or Tiki art.

Also, wondering why the Tiki police haven't arrived to defend TC yet.

Maybe "Other Crafts" is just too far out of town :(

H

On 2011-11-28 18:23, mp wrote:
Wondering when someone in this thread is going to mention Tiki or Tiki art.

Also, wondering why the Tiki police haven't arrived to defend TC yet.

Maybe "Other Crafts" is just too far out of town :(

Considering that Zeta is known to draw Tiki art, I think his query is fine here.

M

You need to come up with a unique style that is all your own and stick to it. Your art needs to be recognizable. You can tell a SHAG or Little Lost Tiki print at one glance.

This can take years. My art teacher always said "art feeds on Art". People borrow other styles on the way to developing their own. He also said "true Artists create for themselves, commercial artists and designers create for others".

Be friendly and get to know your customers, people like to buy from friends and have artists know them by name, even if it's only a artist/customer relationship.

That's my 2 cents...

Oh yeah, put photos of your art in your "Signature" so people can relate your art to your name and contact you if they like it! New Artists love to be contacted about creating custom pieces for their clients! (hint, hint)

S

On 2011-11-28 19:58, MauiTiki wrote:
"true Artists create for themselves, commercial artists and designers create for others".

What a great comment. I'd have to agree. If you have any creative talent/ability, creating art is just something you do because you can and because you enjoy it. Although i don't spend near enough time doing it, i enjoy painting and drawing and making tiki mugs and whatever, and will continue to do so whether i sell anything or not. A few years ago i had about 5 paintings on display in a gallery and sold 2 paintings to a couple. I covered the cost of my materials and made a few dollars profit but that was the last thing on my mind. That fact that someone (actually two people) liked my art enough to part with their hard-earned cash was an amazing feeling.

Obviously every "artist" would like to sell their work, but as MauiTiki said, unless you come up with a style that is unique and original, you may as well become a commercial artist, where you may be in demand and can make money, but then your won't really be creating art from your heart, just pandering to the requirements that your customer asks of you.

Good post Rob. Don't really like the thread though. How do i become a famous race car driver?

..but that suggests that commercial art, and all types of design are not 'true art'.

I know of several thousand people that would disagree w/ that :)

S

No, not at all. But you are visualising someones elses idea in your style. I don't have a problem with that. The question is how do you become famous.

But that perpetuates an archetype of a 'true (or famous) artist' being independent of the commercial or design field. That hasn't been true for about a century. Nowadays most any given artist works across several different fields, particularly if they want to make a living as an artist.

I would also say that many artists are just as well known, sometimes more so in the mainstream, for their commercial work.

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Nov 29, 2011 1:21 PM

"Un pintor es un hombre que pinta lo que vende. Un artista, en cambio, es un hombre que vende lo que pinta." -Pablo Picasso

You mustn't always believe what I say. Questions tempt you to tell lies, particularly when there is no answer. - Pablo Picasso

C
cy posted on Thu, Dec 8, 2011 7:41 PM

A great topic Zeta! A famous musician said that his success was due to playing every venue he could- from bar mitzvahs to basements. The more you get your work out there the better your luck will be. I personally think that being 50% artist and 50% salesperson is advantageous for "making it." Viva Tiki

B

i love this!

On 2011-11-25 10:49, virani wrote:

• grow a beard

• have tattoos

• have a website

• make designs for a skateboard compagny

• suck ass

• and yeah, mostly, be very good, and not a pale copyist.

Yahooo! i think i am well on my way! lets see:

-beard: check
-tattoos: check
-skateboards: check
-suck ass: check!!!!!!
-Very good? time will tell
-Pale copyist?: HAIL NO! VIBRANT COPYIST!!!

Seriously tho, i would say don't try to be good: SUFFER to be good. bleed, sweat and cry to be good. If you are PERSISTENT in mastering your craft, if you sacrifice your entire life to be good (and are really, really lucky), you will have success after 10 years or so.

you forgot the most important step,Toe...
You gotta PAINT!
a LOT!
an inhuman AMOUNT!

OK - now I know what the problem is.

-beard: nope
-tattoos: no
-website: check (sort of http://www.tflounder.deviantart.com)
-skateboards: no
-suck ass: nope
-Very good? for others to judge
-Pale copyist?: I'll never tell

On 2011-12-14 10:02, little lost tiki wrote:
you forgot the most important step
You gotta PAINT!
a LOT!

I don't paint.

I have always liked to think of myself as In-Famous!

Toe, don't famous artists have paint in their beards?

How to become a “Famous” artist? Maybe it should be How to become a ”Successful” artist.? If it’s fame you seek put your kid in a weather balloon and act like you had no idea he was in the balloon as it floats away, video taping the whole thing. Fame is an empty goal to strive for, especially as an artist.

Found this article on the internet...

Hobbyist, Amateur, or Professional Artist - Which are You?

You finally made it! You have a solo show at a prominent gallery that only represents top-earning artists. The room is full of excitement and the spotlights showcase your art spectacularly. The gallery staff did an outstanding job of displaying your work, and it looks absolutely stunning. Friends, collectors, and art world glitterati surround you.

It’s been such an exciting evening as you watched the “red dots” going up to indicate that most of the works in the room are already sold. These pieces sell for five and six figure prices, so this is quite a triumphant night for your art career. On top of that, you’ve had a couple of requests for interviews to feature you and your career in internationally celebrated art magazines.

The best part is the beaming faces about you—all your loving and supportive friends toasting your success with such delight. You made this happen. You created this art career for yourself through your hard work, talent and business acumen. “Great job!” you think to yourself. “Great job!”

Does this scene sound anything like your own dream? Can you see yourself there, or does it seem more like an impossibility?

It may be a long way out from where you are right now, but it can happen and it is a reality for many artists. As you might expect, though, there is a logical progression and a fair bit of work to becoming a successful artist.

Hobbyist, Amateur, or Professional

The first thing to understand is the difference between being a hobby artist, an amateur artist, and a professional artist.

As you read through the descriptions below, be honest with yourself. Once you recognize where you are starting from, it becomes obvious what to do next.

Are You A Hobbyist?

Hobby artists may spend years, decades, or even an entire lifetime making art strictly for personal pleasure. They want no responsibility for a business. They don’t desire to develop a following, sell their artwork, or try to support themselves with their artwork.

Hobbyists want to make art that they enjoy, whenever they feel like it. They may take art lessons, but they have no commitment to professionally developing their skills. They simply want to create, without turning it into work.

Are You an Amateur Artist?

At some point, the hobbyist might realize that this is an awfully expensive hobby and maybe they ought to think a bit about putting together some sort of business—at least so they could deduct the costs on their taxes.

Over the years, they’ve become quite skillful at art. Family and friends rave about how wonderful their work is and frequently say, “You should try to sell this.”

Or maybe their spouse is bugging them about the cost of their hobby and suggesting that they should consider doing art as a business. Whatever the case, they set up a business, sell a few pieces of art, and deduct their expenses. This is so exciting that they want to do more, and decide to become even more serious about their art.

Amateurs are willing to sacrifice their personal time in the pursuit of making art and selling it, but they’re usually not sure how to really make it pay.

Do You Want to Be a Professional Artist?

As their confidence and skills grow, amateur artists may start to seriously consider art as a profession. They like the money they make from selling their art and it’s great to deduct the costs at tax time. After expenses, they’re actually making profit!

With this may come a driving need to make a living solely from their art. Some artists start to do all sorts of random art marketing and jump at every “opportunity” that comes their way, whether or not it makes financial sense.

They may spend most or all of their art income taking art classes, yet never come up with a clear idea about what is required to make a living making art. All they know is that it is time to find out how to succeed in the art world.

Unfortunately, many artists eventually give up because they cannot detect a path to succeed. Since they don’t have a road map, they can’t follow through on doing what is necessary. These artists spend their time in unproductive activities. You don’t have to be one of them.

If you decide to go ahead and move from being a hobbyist to an amateur, you don’t have much to lose if it doesn’t work out. You can always go back to being a hobbyist. If you want to move from being an amateur to a professional artist, you are making a much bigger commitment.

I work with many artists who work part-time or full-time and who also make a substantial portion of their living from their art. Because they aren’t worried about their finances, many of them feel less pressured and are able to be more creative in the time they set aside for their art career. Having health benefits from employment is also a major factor, especially for artists with families.

What It Takes to Move From Hobbyist to Amateur

When you decide to move from being a hobbyist to an amateur, you must choose to give up some of your other pursuits, or the time you used to spend simply “doing nothing.” You need disposable time, energy and money to become a better artist. You give up free time to work on learning and practicing your art without expectation of being reimbursed.

If you are an amateur, you may well be just as talented as professional artists. But by staying an amateur, you have the luxury of working at your art when it suits you. You can take workshops to guide your exploration of making art, and have mentors to critique your work. When you improve, you can simply enjoy it, because your livelihood doesn’t depend on always improving.

On the other hand, if you are an amateur and you choose to stay an amateur, you will probably give up many chances to show your work and you will miss out on feedback from a wider audience. You will probably also never be well-known, or get paid what your artwork is truly worth.

What It Takes To Move From Amateur to Professional

If you decide to move from being an amateur to a professional artist, you must love doing what you do so much that you are willing to do it almost all of the time.

In fact, you must be prepared to use most of your time, energy and money to make a living from your art. You’ll also need to develop a unique style and constantly develop your body of work.

Perhaps you will need to teach others what you know as part of your strategy to become more visible and to make money. Without a doubt, to be financially successful you must be an entrepreneur with art as the core of your business.

To remain competitive in the art world, you should also invest in ongoing professional development, whether in mastering your medium, navigating the art world, or just doing business. You will also need to be willing to promote your work every chance you get.

These days, I often tell people who are considering the move into a professional art career not to quit his or her day job just yet. It’s a big decision and not one to be taken lightly. You don’t want to have regrets when you do, and you certainly don’t need more debts.

Put together an “exit strategy” first while you build a solid foundation for your successful art business. Plan out how you’re going to get where you’re going.

And when you have that solo show, make sure to invite me!

by Aletta de Wal

there's NOTHING in there about growing a beard! What gives?

B

Cant i bypass the hard work part and just skip right to the GALA opening part? that is what i do best.

and the ass-sucking.

I didn't see any of my suggestions, either? Hmph

Pages: 1 43 replies