Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Hukilau Vintage etc. Bar Restaurants and Lauderdale / Miami ,etc area attractions.

Pages: 1 2 79 replies

M

Not counting the Mai-Kai and Hukilau related stuff, what are some activities or places to eat in the general Ft. Lauderdale or Miami area. Breakfast and lunch joints are well needed, too.
I was especially hoping some of the locals can give us there 2 cents worth and maybe add some info like hours, if you are going to have to wait an hour for seating, etc. thanks so much. I didn't see this info on the Hukilau site, so I thought I'd ask. I'm coming all the way from Tiki-ville!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2014-01-08 00:57 ]

P

There are alot of great places to eat in Fort lauderdale... All depeneds on what your into here's my official breakdown...

Greatest burger you'll ever have...
"Hamburger Mary's" on 26th Street
Only a mile from Mai Kai

Really Good Tai Food...
"Galanga" or "Tasty Tai" also on 26th

By far best "Fresh Mex" in Florida
"Zona Fresca" on Federal and 16th
GREAT LUNCH... about 15 blocks from Mai Kai

"Houstons" is always good, and is only 1 mile from Holiday Inn

"Sushi Rock" on Sunrise is a 5 walk from hotel in the Gateway Plaza... really good sushi joint... if you like sushi, "Shushi Toi" on Federal is also really good, open till 2am and they have Karoke...way cool !!!

Primati's Pizza is right next door to Holiday Inn... Good Pizza, better hours... OPEN 24 HOURS - Great for late night munchies!!!

"Bannana Joe's" is a local bar 1 block South from the Holiday Inn, cheap drinks, always some good drunken entertainment... clothes comming off, dancing on the bar... Been there for 30+ years...Can't beat the view... right across from the ocean...

In that neighbor hood you also have the "World Famous Parrot Lounge" one of the oldest bars in the area... great place to meet... the "Blue Fish" good seafood, better drinks,lots of bikers... "Bikini Bob's" is also right there... and Uncle Luigi's Ice Cream... Also good tatoo palour - Bulldog Tatoo

Post any questions here... I'll do my best...

Thanks "pt"--that variety is what I'm hoping for. So we can have food choices-I don't plan on doing too much bar hopping because I plan to be at the Mai-Kai every night!!
Any good breakfast places--in the $12 average (or less) per person price range? Thanks--any other locals out there??

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-03-20 17:21 ]

P

Breakfast not big here in Fort Lauderdale, as we usaully don't wake up till noon...

Try:

"The Floridan" historic breakfast place to see and be seen...
There's a great cuban joint on andrews avenue with killer "Mezclado" and "Juevos Rancheros"...
There's also "Panera Bread" & "Offerdahls" both on Federal... both within a mile of Mai Kai...

For Sunday morining try:

CITY LINK'S BEST PLACE FOR SUNDAY BRUNCH
Blue Moon Fish Company
4405 W. Tradewinds Ave., Lauderdale-by-the-Sea
954/267-9888

http://www.bluemoonfishco.com

This lovely, indoor-outdoor, art-deco-inspired eatery alongside the Intracoastal serves fine food every day of the week, but the all-you-can-eat Sunday brunch ($24.95) is its biggest bargain. The meal begins with a Bloody Mary, champagne or a mimosa. Then, you dive into a dizzying array of offerings: peel-and-eat shrimp, oysters, clams, garlic mussels, fruit, salads, salmon, crab cakes, seafood gumbo, mahi mahi, stuffed chicken and meat loaf. Top the meal off with crème brûlée, strawberry shortcake, a double-chocolate torte or any of a host of French pastries.

Thanks PT. This is good info. for us Floridians up north as well. When we go to Lauderdale we eat dinner and drink at the Mai-kai and eat lunch/breakfast with mother-in-law at some cheesey chain restaurant -- which kind of limits our exposure to everything else in the area. (Mother is very fussy, but very well-off.) :wink:

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-06-13 13:56 ]

S

The Original Pancake House
http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/

Different hours different locations, but consistently good breakfast into the early afternoon- we've been known to hit the one on N. Federal -it's not far from the Mai Kai.

The Original Pancake House- FL
285l N. Federal Hwy., Ft. Lauderdale, (954) 564-8881 • Deerfield Beach, (954) 421-5030 • 270 S. University Dr., Plantation (954) 473-2771 • 1840 University Dr., Coral Springs, (954) 255-8080

S

Forgot to mention, a specialty of OPH-

The Tahitian Maiden's Dream

A tender crepe filled with golden ripe bananas sliced in sour cream and tempered with Triple Sec, sherry and brandy. Topped with diced bananas in our apricot sauce.

M

here is a repeat of an erlier posting

"Here are some of my Fort Lauderdale/Miami restaurant recommendations;
Tark's of Dania, 1317 S Federal Hwy, Dania Beach, FL 954-965-8275 hours 11a-10pm Sun-Thurs, 11a-11p Fri, Sat. This is an inexpensive fried seafood "shack" that is famous for their Buffalo Shrimp. Some cheap "happy hour" specials--call for info. They are 5 minutes South of the Ft. Lauderdale Airport.
Also in Dania is : Jaxson's Ice Cream Parlor and Restaurant. The decor is like a nice Farrell's -old signs on the wall-fun and funky! This place is (according to the Food Network) one of the 5 best ice cream parlors in the US! Their Sundaes are huge!-you might want to share. They are at 128 S Federal Highway in Dania Beach, FL. Hours: Mon-Thurs 11:30a-11p. Fri, Sat 11:30 a-Midnight. Sun , noon-11P. 954-922-8293.
Also near the Ft. Lauderdale airport(but in another direction ) is Lester's Diner. In business since 1967-although I don't know if this is the original one or not. They are at 250 State rd. #84 Ft. Lauderdale. 954-525-5641. They might be 24 hours-call them.
They serve diner food and looks like a classic 50's diner without going overboard on the annoying "see how many fake(retro) signs we can jam in this place-oh hey, how about a thousand pictures of James Dean" look. Burgers, salads, pie and more!! they also have locations in Margate 954-979-4722 and Sunrise 954-838-7473.

For cigar lovers: down in Little Havana is : La Tradicion Cubana at 1894 SW 8th Street in Miami. 305-643-4005 http://www.tradicion.com. They roll their own cigars onsite so you'll be sure of freshness. My friends and I liked the "Torpedo" a slightly shorter cigar with a great taste for about $4 each. They are open 8a-5:30p mon-fri and 9a-2p on Sat. Closed Sundays. This place even has a small Tiki by the front door !"

NOTE: THIS info is a year old so contact these businesses to verify hours, etc!!

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-09-17 12:12 ]

M

Mean Little Devil-you are a local--any food, shopping, etc info for us out of towners?

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-03-20 17:22 ]

Here are some more last minute suggestions:
Miami attractions: Art Deco District Tour
meet at 1001 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach 305-672-2014 $6-$10 per person-call for details and times. Or you can do down there and check out the area without a guide for free any time.
Miami FOOD: (Wolfie Cohen's) Rascal House.JUST CLOSED IN MARCH 2008--RAZZ!) This fantastic New York style deli HAD been around for approx. 40 years. (Hey Hoiti-Toiti's, in my opinion it beats the pants off Cantor's!). Big portions are guaranteed so bring an appetite. 17190 Collins Ave in Miami Beach. DON'T Call 305-947-4581 for hours. It can get busy at times, but the line usually moves fast because this place is big.
IT WAS A Miami MUST!
Miami FOOD and BAR-In the southern part of Miami is FOX'S SHERRON INN, a bar and restaurant. The Bar has the best ambience, so if you are going to eat here, try to get a table in the bar. This place has that great dark old bar feel to it with lots of regular customers as its clientele. The neon sign outside is pretty nice, too. You can fin Fox's at 6030 S. Dixie Hwy near 62nd Ave in Miami. Call 305-661-9201 for details.
In Little Cuba, you can find this great Cuban restaurant, The VERSAILLES RESTAURANT at 3555 SW 8th St., Miami. Call 305-444-0240 for info.
The handrolled cigar store ( La Tradicion Cubana) is real close ( 1894 SW 8th) to The Versailles.
Near the south of Miami is the BISCAYNE CAFE WAS (!!!)at 147 Miracle Mile (cross street is Ponce De Leon) in Coral Cables. I just rec'd news that the Biscayne Cafe in the Miracle Mile is CLOSED for good!!!!!

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-12-16 13:16 ]

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2008-04-07 20:55 ]

About a half hour or so south of Miami is CORAL CASTLE, one of Florida's oldest remaining roadside attractions. It is a man's shrine to the young woman that essentially left him at the alter. You can find Coral Castle at 28655 S. Dixie (Federal Hwy.) in Homestead, FL. Call 305-248-6344 for info.
If you are hungry while in HOMESTEAD, you might try SHIVER'S BBQ at 28001 S. Dixie Hwy. They have been around since 1950. This popular restaurant is VERY casual. The indorr seating consists of picnic benches which you may have to share depending on time of day. I had already had dinner when I came across this place, but darn that BBQ smelled GREAT!!! Call 305-242-0883 for info.

Some of this info and MORE has been posted in the "Mr. Smiley Visits the MAI-KAI" thread from earlier in 2003

I hope you all enjoys these recommendations.

T

On 2003-06-24 12:22, mrsmiley wrote:
Miami FOOD: (Wolfie Cohen's) Rascal House. This fantastic New York style deli has been around for approx. 40 years. (Hey Hoiti-Toiti's, in my opinion it beats the pants off Cantor's!).

Wolfie Cohen's is the BEST but Langer's in LA beats Canter's anyday! One of the wurst things about living in the bay area is there are no good delis.

My favorite must-go place is the Hotel Delano in South Beach for Sunday brunch.

The food is killer - soft shell crab, lobster omelettes, smoked salmon, lamb with tabouli, on and on. Good wine list, too.

There is a pool table where you can play for free.

Some great bar areas are on property as well, and the beach and pool area are littered with delectable wahines working on a look that has no tan lines (wink wink).

If I ever hit the lotto, my first week is gonna be at the Delano while I wait for a passport!

[ Edited by: geeky tiki on 2003-06-24 13:06 ]

M

In Fort Lauderdale konnen Sie einen Tag am Strand oder eine Nacht in Hawaii verbringen.
Das Mai-Kai ist eine authentische Nachbuilding eines polynesichen Dorfes mit Tiki-Faceln, einem Strohdach, tropischen Garten und Schopfungen in Museumsqualitat.

The really incredible looking chinese Restaurant " Fu Manchu" is not too far away at 325 71st St. in Miami Beach 305-866-4263. The neon outside is incredible at night and the murals inside look great! I have never eaten at Fu Manchu but it is still in business after 65 or so years!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-03-20 17:23 ]

some old info from WeirdUncle Tiki's visit to Florida;
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=504&forum=1

Curry's Steakhouse has closed!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-03-20 17:23 ]

"If you like old nautical-themed seafood restaurants there's Mike Gordon's. They are right on the bay with great water views. I had lobster there one dark and stormy night and it was pretty inexpensive. "

This place IS NOT still around! The jab says it has closed!!

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-09-21 13:27 ]

I'm in Ft. Lauderdale now....
Lester's dinner on State rd. 84 (just off US.1) is a great place for breakfast, huge menu and good food.The place does get very busy though, especially on weekends but the turn over is pretty quick....
If you like Thai there's a great Thai restaurant on S. E. 17th St. ( fairly close to Bahia Cabana) called Siam House, very good. (954) 763-1701

[ Edited by: freaky*tiki on 2004-09-17 12:43 ]

Biscayne Miracle Mile Cafeteria. 147 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables (305) 444-9005
"CLOSED FOR REMODELING" 8-2004!!

I just rec'd news that the Biscayne Cafe in the Miracle Mile is CLOSED for good!!!!!12-2004

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-12-16 13:18 ]

There's the Wreck Bar at the Sheraton Yankeee Clipper in Ft Lauderdale across from the Bahia!

http://www.sheratonclipper.com/

Jaxson's Ice Cream Parlor (a lot like Farrell's) on Hwy. 1 in Dania Beach, as mentioned in this recent article:

http://www.philly.com/mld/miamiherald/living/5371833.htm

Have a nice Tiki Day!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-09-21 13:31 ]

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2008-04-07 20:58 ]

T

On 2004-09-17 12:23, mrsmiley wrote:
"If you like old nautical-themed seafood restaurants there's Mike Gordon's. They are right on the bay with great water views. I had lobster there one dark and stormy night and it was pretty inexpensive. "

Is this place still around? I couldn't find a phone number---it seems like the Jab said it was in Miami.

Unfortunately it closed some time ago.

http://digitalcity.com/southflorida/dining/venue.adp?sbid=103046832&type=userreviews

I was there years ago. I heard it's a Walgreen's now :(

T
S

If anybody cares, there is a Pusser's Restaurant there run by the rum people. You can get a Painkiller there, fo sho.

T

Don't forget Monkey Jungle! It's near Coral Castle.

http://www.monkeyjungle.com/

In Coral Gables, there's Fairchild Tropical Gardens (since 1938). It's free on Sundays in September.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/

And the amazing Venetian Pool

http://www.venetianpool.com/

And West of Fort Lauderdale the lovely Flamingo Gardens (since 1928).

http://www.flamingogardens.org/

This should keep you busy for a couple weeks!

[ Edited by: thejab on 2004-09-17 17:34 ]

Swanky, Pusser's is out of business, they closed about a year or so ago. They were very good, food and drinks, very carribean. I am not trying to tell you guys what to do, but I would not go into Miami/Dade county without a gun. You guys from LA are probably used to rough neighborhoods though. Everything you need is in the Ft lauderdale area. I am a Florida(Ft Lauderdale) native, born and raised. I don't go into Miami unless I absolutely have to, yes it's pretty bad with the exception of South Beach.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:50 ]

I did not see Carl's Jr. Wuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzup! Got to get ready for Fooooooot Balllll!!!!

Here's some updates on some of the food venues from older posts.

"Biscayne Cafeteria" on Miracle Mile is "closed for remodeling" for two year now. We think that translates into out-of-business.

Unless you want to hurt, don't eat at "Fu Manchu" Chinese restaurant. An associate of mine made the mistake of ordering there and said that it was just best not done again. Deeply entrenched old cigarrette smell too. Kool to look at on the outside, not good eats.

Another diner to be remembered is the PETER PAN Diner on Oakland and Dixie Highway, just over the tracks. Service is 24/7. Not too far from the Mai Kai, but not walkable.

Maybe Miami isn't so bad to me since I'm a local. A gun is an exaggeration. We're past the killing tourist phase. BUT I'd strongly recommend that visitors have specific directions on where they want to go in Miami-Dade. Be prepared for the stupidest driving possible and a severe lack of parking in the tourist areas. Please be extra careful at night. If you don't know where you are going and the neighborhood looks shady, get out ASAP to the nearest major road. Many bad neighborhoods are around the corner from fantastically wealthy ones.

Seriously, don't be afraid, but do treat Miami-Dade like visiting a foreign country.

If anyone has more specific questions about places or directions, feel free to PM or email me at [email protected].

[ Edited by: I dream of tiki on 2004-09-18 21:43 ]

I did not mean to offend any Miami locals. I was born in Hollywood, and my wife was born in Miami. I was just saying that there is alot of violent crime that happens in the Miami/Metro area. You just have to be careful where you go, I know I was exagerating when I said you need a gun. I have just had a few bad experiences in Miami, like when I was jumped and robbed when I was 13 years old at a concert down at Miami arena. Then there was the time my car was broken into and valdalized when it was parked down at Bayfront for Lallapolooza a few years ago. Just watch yer backs, and make sure you stay in good areas and know where you are at all times.

Aaron

Sorry to change the subject,but,back to the forum topic: Food.
Anyone know of any really good comida cubana around Ft Lauderdale? I seem to remember kind of a take out style place in Miami called Que Rico or El Rico... Anyone know if there's one around by the hotel or Mai Kai? Also, any Cuban bakeries around there? I could use some postres de guayaba y queso for breakfast! Thanks y'all!

On 2004-09-17 12:15, mrsmiley wrote:
The really incredible looking chinese Restaurant " Fu Manchu" is not too far away at 325 71st St. in Miami Beach 305-866-4263. The neon outside is incredible at night and the murals inside look great! I have never eaten at Fu Manchu but it is still in business after 65 or so years!

Mrsmiley,
The Ken-tiki's and us ate at Fu Manchu last December. As you say, it is a great looking place with lots of atmosphere. Food was good, but they disappointingly didn't serve drinks in Fu Manchu mugs (sniff). For some reason I expected to see row on row of inscrutable mugs peering down from a shelf in the restaurant. It's a bit of a drive from Ft. Lauderdale, but if you want Chinese it's a good bet.

M

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2004-09-21 13:25 ]

M

I also recommend the Cuban food at Versailles in Miami--although one out of the four or so times I ate there, the food was a little lackluster. Not bad, I guess they had an off day.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-03-20 17:24 ]

M

On 2004-09-17 12:23, mrsmiley wrote:
"If you like old nautical-themed seafood restaurants there's Mike Gordon's(CLOSED!!!). They are right on the bay with great water views. I had lobster there one dark and stormy night and it was pretty inexpensive. "

Too bad---i was just told this place closed a few years ago!!!.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-03-20 17:24 ]

For those who are not yet on a plane to Florida, the weather just cooled down. Predicted temperatures are mid 80's F during the day and mid 70's F at night.

That's really good considering the summer we have just had. Bring your shorts!

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2005-06-24 17:21 ]

I put together a map showing the relative distances of some of the eateries previously recommended:

Hamburger Mary's
2449 Wilton Drive, Wilton Manors, FL 33305
(954) 567-1320
Only a mile from Mai Kai

Galanga Thai Kitchen & Sushi Bar
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308
(954) 202-0000

ZONA Fresca Restaurant
1635 North Federal Highway, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33305
(954) 566-1777

Blue Moon Fish Company
4405 W. Tradewinds Ave., Lauderdale-by-the-Sea
954/267-9888

The Original Pancake House- FL
285l N. Federal Hwy., Ft. Lauderdale, (954) 564-888

What/where is the nearest "Target Type" store? (walmart, k mart,best buy, etc?) Need to pick up a boom box for room tunes!

Mahaloz-

On 2004-09-21 11:08, tweedtone wrote:
I put together a map showing the relative distances of some of the eateries previously recommended:

Pretty darn cool!!!! The Sheraton Yankee Clipper (with The Wreck BAr) is basically across the street from the the Bahia. Drinks prices vary-so be careful. I had either a Tanqueray and tonic or a Tanqueary martini and it was something crazy like $11 !!! A friend had something else and it was $7. I never asked why.

[ Edited by: mrsmiley 2006-03-20 17:25 ]

M

[

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2005-06-24 17:23 ]

Ben,
There is a Target at U.S.1 and Oakland, about 3-4 blocks south on the hwy. from Maikai.

M

[ Edited by: mrsmiley on 2005-06-24 17:24 ]

Hukilau'ers - I just posted a former tiki site (The Kona Kottage) that needs a little exploring in Ft. Lauderdale. I have no idea what this place looks like today. It is only 5.5 miles from the Mai Kai on the canals. Good Hunting!!!

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11025&forum=1&0

M

I am hungry with anticipation!!! Hukilau 2005! zazz!

T

On 2005-06-24 17:24, mrsmiley wrote:
I am hungry with anticipation!!! Hukilau 2005! zazz!

No calamari for you! Let's not have a Puke-ilau!!

[ Edited by: thejab on 2005-06-24 17:41 ]

T

Come hell or high water, I'm going to Cap's Place (see my earlier post in this topic) this year.

Maybe I shouldn't say "high water"!

[ Edited by: thejab on 2005-06-24 17:45 ]

I too have been hearing comsi-comsa revues regarding Versailles for Cuban food. There is always La Carreta across the street from Versailles, which is also is 24 hours and is owned by the same fellow who owns Versailles.

Regarding other Cuban food eateries, I've had great luck from the Latin American chain as well as anything from Sergio's which is open late on Friday & Saturday.

Will have to research Broward county. But its nothing a search in the Florida section of http://www.ChowHound.com can't fix. Enter the site, click on the South, and then click Florida. Thanks S.M. Kopelman, Tikilicious' other half.

Im sort of surprised no one saw Steve's great article on the Hukilau website! In the section called "Rare Eats"! He and I spent months going to all these places, and he spent a really long time writing up this great review on where all the Hukilau folks can go eat. It was torturous research I tellz ya, going from restaurant to restaurant, all that delicious food.... we really SUFFERED for all of YOU! To know where to EAT! What we went through for all of you, OH MY TIKI! :wink: (was it ever good! LOL!)
Here is a link for those who didnt know where to find it. Enjoy! I know we REALLY enjoyed doin the research, and my Daddy-O really enjoyed writing it up for our wonderful guests to South Fla. :wink:

Either go to http://www.thehukilau.com and then click on "LINKS", and click on "RARE EATS", Or just go here:

http://www.thehukilau.com/2005/rareeats.html

YUMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Steve is what is known as a "chowhounder", or a "foodie". He is obsessed with really GREAT food. No chains... just those wonderful mom n' pop shops and holes in the walls, and great great delicious places that have been around for ages. He writes for the South Florida New Times. EAT 'ER UP! :D

Steve's honeybee,

Pages: 1 2 79 replies