Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Hukilau Vintage etc. Bar Restaurants and Lauderdale / Miami ,etc area attractions.

Pages: 1 2 79 replies

On 2005-06-25 11:20, I dream of tiki wrote:
I too have been hearing comsi-comsa revues regarding Versailles for Cuban food. There is always La Carreta across the street from Versailles, which is also is 24 hours and is owned by the same fellow who owns Versailles.

Regarding other Cuban food eateries, I've had great luck from the Latin American chain as well as anything from Sergio's which is open late on Friday & Saturday.

Will have to research Broward county. But its nothing a search in the Florida section of http://www.ChowHound.com can't fix. Enter the site, click on the South, and then click Florida. Thanks S.M. Kopelman, Tikilicious' other half.

LOL Steve thanks YOU, Miss Liz! :wink: We hope to dine out with you again soon! :)

TIKIFISH!!!!!
There's a place to get poutine at Hukilau!!!!
(from Steve's page)
Dairy Belle: The towns just south of Ft. Lauderdale are popular with French Canadian tourists, which means there are a lot of hairy old men in Speedos and almost as many places to get authentic Quebecois food. Take this '60s-style hot dog and soft ice-cream stand. They've got a press-on menu board. They've got picnic tables under an awning. They've got poutine and guedilles, which are gravy fries with cheese curds and gloppy mayo-and-lettuce sandwiches on hot dog buns, respectively, and a steady stream of sunburned, homesick people speaking French. [118 N. Federal Hwy. (US1), Dania, a few minutes south of the airport, heading away from Ft. Lauderdale.]

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 16:08 ]

On 2005-06-25 15:20, purple jade wrote:
TIKIFISH!!!!!
There's a place to get poutine at Hukilau!!!!
(from Steve's page)
Dairy Belle: The towns just south of Ft. Lauderdale are popular with French Canadian tourists, which means there are a lot of hairy old men in Speedos and almost as many places to get authentic Quebecois food. Take this '60s-style hot dog and soft ice-cream stand. They've got a press-on menu board. They've got picnic tables under an awning. They've got poutine and guedilles, which are gravy fries with cheese curds and gloppy mayo-and-lettuce sandwiches on hot dog buns, respectively, and a steady stream of sunburned, homesick people speaking French. [118 N. Federal Hwy. (US1), Dania, a few minutes south of the airport, heading away from Ft. Lauderdale.]

YEAH. Their poutine is SOOOOOOOOOO GOOD. Steve introduced it to me, actually. Our apartment is about 10 or 15 minutes away, and back when we were still dating and not yet living together, he tried to romance me by taking me to The Dairy Belle. My dear, it WORKED. That poutine was to DIE FOR. I was practically licking the gravy out of the little paper boat it came in. I forced him to move in shortly thereafter. :wink:

I grew up in New Orleans, by the way! :) Say hi to all of my old friends for me! :D

Hope you get to gobble up some poutine while you're here! :)

T

Tark's Clam Bucket! Buffalo shrimp, mmmmmm.

T

Here's a recent Chowhound post on old Ft. Lauderdale restaurants.

http://www.chowhound.com/south/boards/florida/messages/16866.html

But in Steve's reply he says the Mai Kai's food is mediocre-to-bad! Hmmm. I don't agree.

I find Chowhound a good resource once in a while but sometimes people are a bit too critical, especially when reviewing old places. Often the food is of a different style than nouveau cuisine so it's not going to be great, but you have to go in with an open attitude and lower expectations. For example I would never compare Trader Vic's or the Mai Kai's food (which IMO ranges from fair to very good) to my favorite moderately-priced Bay Area restaurants like Fringale or Ideale or Bay Wolf. It's just not a fair comparison.

Anyone venturing down to Miami for Cuban food, Versailles is no longer 24 hours. Not sure if this is off-season hours but they close at 2:30 AM on Sunday thru Thrus. Open till 3:30 AM on Fridays & Saturdays.

La Carreta across the street (SW 8 St, that is) is open until 3 AM Sundays thru Thursdays & is open 24 hours on Fridays & Saturdays.

I don't know about other folks, but night owls like me need those open late places.

T

If you want the best mojitos, go to the Samba Room in Fort Lauderdale, not too far from the Bahia Mar on 350 East Las Olas Blvd. Food is very good also!

http://www.sambaroom.net/

On 2005-09-14 13:31, I dream of tiki wrote:
Anyone venturing down to Miami for Cuban food, Versailles is no longer 24 hours. Not sure if this is off-season hours but they close at 2:30 AM on Sunday thru Thrus. Open till 3:30 AM on Fridays & Saturdays.

La Carreta across the street (SW 8 St, that is) is open until 3 AM Sundays thru Thursdays & is open 24 hours on Fridays & Saturdays.

I don't know about other folks, but night owls like me need those open late places.

Liz, isn't there a La Carreta in Broward? I know there used to be one in Pembroke Pines near the corner of University Drive and Hollywood/Pines Blvd.

There are so many good cuban places in Broward, I don't think its necessary to drive all the way down to SW 8th Street in Miami -- unless people wanted to do some sight-seeing.

By the way, for those looking for the French Canadian places to eat, I know there used to be several places along the boardwalk on Hollywood Beach. Are those still there?

On 2005-09-16 11:07, joefla70 wrote:

There are so many good cuban places in Broward, I don't think its necessary to drive all the way down to SW 8th Street in Miami -- unless people wanted to do some sight-seeing.

NAMES, please!! : )

Joe, you are definitely right about La Carretta being a chain and probably having an existing location MUCH closer. I was just putting the word out in case anyone is making the trek to the banana republic that is Miami.

Do we happen to have any names of Cuban & other fun Latin eats joints that locals would like to name & comment on? My knowledge is mostly Miami.

M

I visited Rascal House in North Miami Beach last Sunday to find that the original neon on the facade of the building and the wonderful classic sign from the parking lot had all been damaged and trashed after hurricane Wilma. I almost drove right past but the shape of the building caught my eye. Of course, the food was still yummy!

Went to The Rustic Inn this weekend and loved it. It gets crowded and loud, but the crabs were excellent. It has an old-Keys feel to the place with an enphasis on ambiance. Can't tell you much about the food because every time I go I get the steamed blue crabs/garlic crabs. but this place has a lot of character. After dinner go out on the dock and feed the tarpons - its the only place north of the keys that you can do that (I think).

On 2006-04-17 08:39, AlohaStation wrote:
Went to The Rustic Inn this weekend and loved it....

Love the Inn! The only place we have found in Florida where we can get Dungeness done right and a taste of San Francisco......

And, not sure they have anything other than crab. I know they have a menu, but have never gotten past the crab!

And, I hoping that some of us locals can get together and come up with a new list of places to eat near Hukilau for 2006. I know! Lets meet at the Mai-Kai!

J

On 2006-04-17 08:39, AlohaStation wrote:
Can't tell you much about the food because every time I go I get the steamed blue crabs/garlic crabs.

Aloha... have you ever tried the GOLDEN garlic crabs? They are just as tasty as the blue crabs, but WAY bigger. My family and I have been going to the Rustic Inn since I was a kid. Back then, the blue crabs were a pretty decent size. Now, they are so tiny that it is almost not worth the effort to get the little bit of meat out of them. But the Golden Crabs have lots of meat. I highly recommend them.

PI

I didn't see a post anywhere about "Vintage a-Go-Go" but this is a store that can't be missed!

Every time we go to Ft Lauderdale, we stop off and get something. This weekend, I bought an ivory purse from the 40s to go with my wedding dress :)

The owner just got back from Hawaii and there are tons of gorgeous barkcloth shirts.

(not too far from the Mai-Kai!)
It's in a line of stores basically where US 1 and Sunrise split.
Phone # 954-767-6441

Enjoy!

T

Hukilau is near so I'm bumping these related topics. HUKILAU!

You can also visit http://www.restaurantplace.com to view restaurant menus. It is a great site that help you decide where to eat. Hope it helps. Enjoy!

D

We had several great meals in the Ft Lauderdale area ~ I’ve included links to restaurant reviews, and of course, pictures of our food.

Betty’s Soul Food
601 NW 22ND Rd
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(954) 583-9121
Oh, yeah ~ folks in hawaiian shirts ain’t seen often in this part of town, and that’s a pity, cuz the food and hospitality here is like eating with ohana. Well, sorta. You know what I mean. Puamana and Mr Bytes had the Fried Chicken.. I had Fried Pork Chops. I love dining with friends who allow you to dig into their side dishes! Mac n cheese, candied yams, collard greens, corn, cornbread and black eyed peas. My only regret was the jukebox wasn’t working, cuz theres nothing like a little Marvin Gaye to go with a plate of gizzards. oh another regret.. too full to have a slice of sweet potato pie.

on Chip and Andy’s recommendation, we had breakfast
Grampa's Restaurant & Bakery
17 SW 1st Street, Dania
(954) 923-2163
A free basket of warm pastries to start the day! I had eggs, bacon, hashbrowns n toast. Todd had the grits, eggs and canadian bacon. And I snagged a slice of key lime pie to take back to the hotel. (oops no pics! )

Tom Jenkins Bar-B-Q
1236 S. Federal Highway
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316-2067
954-522-5046
Oh. My. God. Soul music playing , meaty ribs, macaroni and cheese, potato salad and a corn muffin. Heavenly. The catfish was amazing, bbq beans and hushpuppies. Order at the front counter and share a picnic table.

Ernesto's Taco Shop
700 SE 17th St.
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
954-467-9788
Not as good as a taco shop in So Cal, but darned good! Selector Lopaka, Puamana , Mr Bytes and I went there for a quick bite. Cheap and fast ~

The Rascal House
17190 Collins Ave. (Sunny Isles)
North Miami Beach, FL 33160-3641
305-947-4581
Oy Vey! Deli sammiches at their best.. kosher dills! I had kreplach soup and a bagel with chopped liver and a knish. Todd had the ruben. Ever wanted to cry with delight? Yeah, that’s how I was feeling about lunch.

bump

T

The Rueben at the Rascal House is the best! I had one on Thursday for lunch. Other good old food joints in South Florida that I visited this weekend:

The Rustic Inn - good garlic crab and conch chowder

Cap's Place - great atmosphere, especially the boat ride over with the full moon shining. I thought the food was better last time, but it's definitely still worth a trip.

Puerto Sagua
700 Collins Ave
Miami Beach
Good cuban food since 1968 - I had cafe cortado, black beans, a media noche (midnight sandwich), and fried plantains.

Me and Unga had drinks at Fox's Sherron Inn (still my favorite bar in Miami), and looked for the Captain's Table but discovered it's no longer there :( so we had Shorty's Barbeque (pretty good) instead. Then we caught a real good jazz band at Tobacco Road, Miami's oldest bar. We drove out to Jimbo's at Virgina Key and found it a mess with a sketchy crowd hanging out so we left.

I heard online that the Old Cutler Inn closed, so I didn't make it there.

D

sadly, Rascal House closed. it was the last deli standing in Miami

M
M

On 2008-03-26 20:08, dogbytes wrote:
sadly, Rascal House closed. it was the last deli standing in Miami

An Eternal RAZZ to this news :( !!!

Here is Mr Smiley's link from above. (damn those long addresses)

T

No more Rascal House! How can I ever visit Florida again without crying? Oh yeah, there's still the Mai-Kai.

On 2008-04-10 14:49, thejab wrote:
No more Rascal House! How can I ever visit Florida again without crying? Oh yeah, there's still the Mai-Kai.

Let's face it, it all ends, sometime. Enjoy it and document it while it's there. Last time I was at Wolfie's the sign was already gone. Anybody got a picture of it?

I have a feeling that the last big hurricane destroyed much of what was left of the great old roadside signs along the Florida coast, emasculating the vintage establishments further, and driving another nail into their coffin. Instead of rebuilding, they are retiring. (All but the Aku Tiki Inn that is!) A fitting irony: The last great symbols of the glory days of the American empire are brought down by the weather changes it is co-responsible for.

Here's one for Mr. Smiley:

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-04-10 16:12 ]

J

Just a kick for the thread and a question.

If you were to go to one BBQ joint in the Ft. Lauderdale area - where would you go? Tom Jenkins? Sonny's? Woody's? Too many choices!

On 2008-06-04 09:18, johnman wrote:
Tom Jenkins?

Without a doubt! Tom Jenkins!

T
thejab posted on Wed, Jun 4, 2008 3:41 PM

On 2008-04-10 15:15, bigbrotiki wrote:

Let's face it, it all ends, sometime. Enjoy it and document it while it's there. Last time I was at Wolfie's the sign was already gone. Anybody got a picture of it?

You are right Sven. My way of dealing with it is to move on and go check out a place I haven't been before. I spent last weekend in Denver and Colorado Springs enjoying many old restaurants and bars, like Casa Bonita Mexican Restaurant in Denver. The place is the Mai-Kai of Mexican restaurants, built in 1973, and still going strong! The place is huge! There is a huge waterfall and tropical pool, cliff divers, cave rooms (which reminded me of the Caves restaurant in Fort Lauderdale which burned down some time ago), mine shafts, a Liberace-esque swanky room with pink walls and chandeliers, a spooky "dark ride", and more! I was amazed.

We also enjoyed:

The Cruise Room in the Oxford Hotel, an original 1930s art deco masterpiece bar.

The time-warp Lakeside Amusement Park, opened in 1908 and still going strong after 100 years! 1930s / 1940s streamline modern architecture and neon was everywhere, and all the neon still worked! And the rides are all maintained and working. This was one of the most realistic "time travel" experiences I have ever had (with the exception of the way people were dressed).

The 1930s nautical Ship Tavern at the Brown Palace Hotel in Denver.

Dinner at the Tavern at the Broadmoor Resort in Colorado Springs. Original 1938 rustic interior with a huge collection of pre-Prohibition booze bottles on display, plus there was the art-deco Mayan room (with intact "exotic" decor), and the Golden Bee, an English pub built in 1961 as a collection of panels and fixtures from an entire 19th-century pub that were shipped from England and reassembled on site.

The cog railway from Manitou Springs to Pike's Peak and the vintage arcade in Manitou Springs.

I took loads of pictures in Colorado, that I'll be putting on Flickr soon.

Anyway, I'm totally over the closing of Wolfie's! But I will see if I can scan some old pictures of the place the way it looked pre-hurricane.

J

On 2008-06-04 14:35, Chip and Andy wrote:

On 2008-06-04 09:18, johnman wrote:
Tom Jenkins?

Without a doubt! Tom Jenkins!

Sweet! I'll be enjoying some fine BBQ while the Gumbo Limbo's are touring (I arrive too late to join - wah!). No substitute but good Q can fix mild depression anytime. Thanks C&A!

Pages: 1 2 79 replies