Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Real Bamboo vs Bamfaux

Pages: 1 19 replies

TS

I live in Torrance, California and I am ready to start some tikifying of my back yard. I am starting with a wall extension that will rise up above my less-than-private wall separating the apartment next door and my back yard. The project is going to finish with a matching tiki bar and likely the barbecue built in with it. I am currently starting the sourcing of materials and have found this stuff called Bamfaux (http://www.imitationbamboo.net/). I want longevity and as I hear it I won't get it with real bamboo as I would with Bamfaux. Has anyone used this stuff? Where do I get it? This stuff is really expensive. What is the cost delta between that and real bamboo? Where do I get real bamboo? How long does real bamboo typically last in the elements in So Cal? Once I pick a material, I would like to use it through out for continuity. The tiki bar will be on wheels so I can put that under the awning and not worry about the thatched roof, etc. so that can be real bamboo.

What thoughts does anyone have on this material vs the real stuff?

Thanks,
Tiki Slob

Chop'em, drop'em and cruise'em. It ain't cool if they don't drool!

[ Edited by: Tiki Slob 2012-01-11 13:16 ]

T

Tiki Slob,

The Bamfaux product appears to be only in the form of poles, which may be all you're looking for. I used a different faux bamboo product line from Texture Plus to surface the sides and shelves of my interior tiki bar, in the form of panels and molding that are easily cut to size and applied over plywood or other surfaces using construction adhesive. A few tacks with a brad gun kept the molding in place while the adhesive cured. This product is also claimed to be both weatherproof and UV stable, like the Bamfaux. It comes in three colors: Bronzed, Weathered and Young bamboo. Examples in their project gallery show outside applications.

It's not cheap, either, but it sure is great to work with. You can request free samples.

For comparisons with the real thing, perhaps Bamboo Ben or one of TC's other subject matter experts can weigh in.

-Tom

TS

Good call TikiTomD. The fence part is gonna be poles 'cuz it has to have some small gaps to allow air flow between the bamboo parts so it doesn't act like an airplane wing and take off into the neighbor's yard. I like that material at least for my tiki bar base and the walls around the perimeter of the lounge area. I will add it to my arsenal of materials. Do you know if it can be mounted curved with the pattern vertical or only flat? Sounds great for the barbecue part of my tiki bar at least.

Yes, I would like to hear from Bamboo Ben and other experienced bamboo craftsmen.

Mahalos,
TS

T

Tiki Slob, from the Texture Plus FAQ in answer to your question on applying to curved surfaces...

Q: Can I bend or curve the panels?

A: Yes, Texture PlusĀ® panels will bend or curve a minimal of 4" in its length. You can also 'kerf' (cuts every inch or two 1/8th) into the back of the panel to get a greater bend or curve.

-Tom

Just remember that Bambfaux is just for decorating, it has no structural applications:

Bamfaux was originally designed to cover steel poles, load-carrying beams and posts, plus give
the illusion of Bamboo holding up the roofs of Thatch or Sabal Palm roofs.

TS

Thanks guys. Great input. I was aware that Bamfaux is non-structural. Whether I go with real or fake, they will be in a frame that acts as the structure. That frame is going to have channels in it so I can remove the top beam and pull out individual poles that when they need to be replaced. I haven't figured out the actual design yet. The top and bottom beams will likely be channels with a width matching the diameter of bamboo pole I decide on.
TS

Sorry I've only played with Faux Thatch so far. Still using real (dead) Bamboo. Somewhere on TC there is a post on making it with pvc. Actually we use to make fake bamboo out of steel tubing.
That was many many moons ago.

I think this is the thread BB was referring to, some of the picture links are broken, but still enough to see how to make it. I think the PVC version would look great outside.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=6800&forum=7&start=0

TS

Wow. I like. I can then have full control over the shape, color and the like. I will have to do a comparison on cost of bamboo, PVC, the time, etc. to see what I want to pursue. Nice thread.
Tiki Slob

G

Two of my go-to places to buy materials from, because they are good quality and because they are located in my state, are Amazulu and Safari Thatch. Amazulu has supplied materials for and constructed tiki/tropical themed areas for Disney World, Universal, etc. Here are links to their faux bamboo products. I've considered it for outside applications, but frankly balked at the price.

Amazulu:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Safari Thatch:
Link 1

TS

GatorRob...thanks for the links. That is very nice stuff. I am beginning to think that faux bamboo is not going to be cost effective. I have a long wall to cover and real bamboo is going to have to be the material I think. I am now looking at roll bamboo. Bamboo Fencer has a nice product http://www.bamboofencer.com/Rolled-Fences. I like this type of thing for ease of installation and replacement. I think I have figured out the fence design and the materials to use. I will probably use some fire retardant faux for the tiki bar with the BBQ in it. Just to be on the safe side. It's easier to spend a little more on a small item than a 40' long wall.
TS

Hi, tikislob. Since it seems you are in Socal, I would check out the pricing at Oceanic Arts http://oceanicarts.net/ in Whittier. You will save a TON on shipping if you drive there and pick it up! Plus, the place is a MUST visit for anyone wanting to do ANY tiki decor.

mrsmiley, Speaks the truth, Go to "OA" and enjoy.

Well, mrsmiley, that sounds like a real fun way to fire up my creative juices (along with a Mai Tai or two). I will add that to my list of preparation activities. In fact, I will put that up on the top of the list. Excellent idea indeed! I have been meaning to do that as a day trip and will now have a better reason to do it. I think the missus will like that better too.
Mahalo nui loa for that one!
TS

real bamboo is cheaper, but metal is going to last a lot longer.I made these years ago at a very high traffic location. Thousand of people mess with them all year round so they are durable.

TS

Tiki Diablo,
That looks very nice. I should consider that when making something that will be in a high stress area. I weld and paint and could very well do something like that in small quantities. I have hundreds of pieces of bamboo required to make my fence. I am leaning toward making the fence very maintenance friendly so I can disassemble parts without disassembling a large section. The bamboo that comes already bound in sections is looking better. OA is the next stop before I start the actual design.

I really appreciate everyone's input. The creativity shared will surely make my back yard come alive this summer.

A hui hou...

Tiki Slob

G

I've had rolled bamboo on my back deck area for a few years now. You know, the kind that is easily found at Home Depot or Lowe's, 6 ft in height with a wire running through the top and bottom to bind them together. They've held up well because I coated them with Minwax glossy polyurethane. Otherwise they would have turned gray long ago in the sun.

Actually, I'm considering a small bamboo privacy fence in a section of backyard, so I'm curious to see what you come up with!

TS

Yeah GaterRob. I know the stuff. I hope to use some of that to save some work but I have to convince myself of how to make it work the way I want it to. Soon I am going to start sketching up some concepts so I know what I need. Thanks for your input on the rolls.
TS

T

Hello TikiSlob,

I'm also in the Torrance area...

How did your Summer Tiki project go?

A

TS

TikiTack,
It did not happen. It became very cost prohibitive once I did measurements and decided on a design. I went to Oceanic Arts and saw all the wonderful stuff they had and got great ideas. I have not yet given up the tiki spirit on this yet. I am going to look localy and see if I can find the materials I want at a decent price. I will then modify the design accordingly to accommodate the materials and hopefully move on.
Thanks for asking...
TS

Pages: 1 19 replies