Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

just a query

Pages: 1 10 replies

This is as Bilge a topic as you can get, but I've been a bit addled for that last few months. I've been working in television for the last 7 years, and coming in June what I do will no longer exist. I can't from the station I work at to another because industry wide, my position has been gradually replaced by a space bar. It's just progress I suppose, but I'm at a bit of an impasse. Theoretically I can pursue any career I choose but what jobs are considered viable these days? I'd like to get back to building bars and home theater centers/systems (is the position of Batman considered a growth opportunity?) but given the economy, I don't know how realistic that would be.Being that I'm not the only person going through wonky employment issues,I was just wondering how others are dealing with it? I would normally not post such a way off topic subject, but I am curious and maybe hoping to gain a little perspective with the help of some fellow tiki types.

`Okole maluna,
Erk

Erk, all I know is the medical professions. 10 years ago RN, Respiratory and Radiology were a job-hunter's market - we could not find licensed people to fill positions, I used to get 1 or 2 applicants per job posting. But word got out that jobs were plentiful, pay was decent (even though the hours suck), and schooling was reasonable (about 2-3 years). Now I posted a Respiratory position and got 25 applications. Some career counselors are still pushing medical professions but be careful.

On 2012-01-12 00:38, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:
my position has been gradually replaced by a space bar.

Damn, I'd be pissed off too!

Good luck whatever happens Erk!

Going through the same thing here in Tucson. Our outfit does commercial landscape design and we basically have been hanging on by our fingernails the past 2 yrs. I'm 5 yrs. away from full social security, but that's certainly not much solice. The medical field is also thriving here and there always seems to be openings for RNs etc. Hoping the best for you. I have a friend who is a very competent electrical engineer who used to work at Raytheon, but he's driving a cab now. Very sad.

I just wanted to wish you good luck. I'm a teacher and a sometimes grad school adjunct professor and I can tell you neither profession is doing well. Especially here in NJ, teachers are public ememy number one. It used to be that people with a different set of skills and work experience could go alternate route for a teaching cert. and enjoy a second career in education. Now, I caution people against entering the teaching profession.

I'm sad to admit that, I'm one of those "born teachers" and I LOVE teaching. I just hate what bureaucracy has done to schools. We don't get to TEACH anymore.

Sorry to ramble on, best wishes to you and those in your situation. At least I have a job, for that I am appreciative.

HJ

Best of fortune. 'Hope you and the perfect next career find one another.

Thank you all. I'm hoping for the best.

It wouldn't be so aggravating if that space bar wasn't so smug about taking my job. He's being a real prick about it.

Erik I feel ya, (No, not in that way, Not that there is anything wrong with that!)
My wife was out of work for most of this last year & my work has really slowed down too.

Best of luck to you.

I have been a nurse for over 30 years and always lucky to have a job...not the glamorous profession many people think it is, but I am very dedicated and have much job satisfaction...don't hate me cause I'm employed.

There are so many people that had jobs and were securely ensconced in a specific niche, then either the job was automated or became obsolete. It is hard to move out of the "I'm trained to do this and that is what I do" mode, but really beef up your resume. Think outside of the box, explore job positions that don't necessarily focus on just your skill physically, but maybe the thinking style that was required. The job title "project manager" is fairly nebulous, you might look for something like that in the type of business you did. Sometimes attending a seminar to get a certificate in your field can be a great investment and provides the opportunity to network. I certainly don't have the answer, but just encourage you to broaden your scope and know that there are often hundreds of people that apply for the same job now days. Beef up your resume, build an impressive portfolio, match yourself to the job you are applying for, be confident and promote yourself as team oriented and autonomous during interviews. Best of luck to you.

On 2012-01-12 18:04, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Now, I caution people against entering the teaching profession.

I myself escaped the lack of employment in the UK by running off to be teacher in Thailand. There is still a considerable amount of teaching positions if your willing to travel. I even saw some nice positions lately in PNG.

Do lots of prior research and be careful if you are thinking of living in PNG - it can be a very lawless place, particularly if you end up in Port Moresby or the highlands.

CN

Pages: 1 10 replies