Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Aloha and mahalo from Hanford Lemoore

Pages: 1 2 90 replies

Aloha everyone!

You may not know this, but Tiki Central turns TWELVE YEARS OLD today. Its last year of being a preteen. I can't believe it's been that long! And looking back, the journey it has been for me personally has been quite an adventure.

The knowledge it has brought me and the friends I've made are irreplaceable. I am truly thankful for stumbling onto tiki when I did, and I've been happy to provide a service to everyone who loves tiki as much as I do. I am deeply honored that Tiki Central became the gathering place for so many wonderful people, and the birthplace for some epic events.

But 12 years is a long time, and at this point I feel like I've contributed everything I can to Tiki Central. I've not been reading it in recent years, and I really only visit the site for administrative or technical purposes; which are few and far between. In practice this means I only stop by Tiki Central to fix a problem or settle a dispute, so I don't exactly associate Tiki Central with leisure anymore.

I've come to realize my lack of participation hasn't helped TC much. And in some cases, it's done it a disservice. So I've decided I'm going to step down as an active Administrator for Tiki Central. This means I won't be the go-to guy for things like user-name changes, creating new forums, running the Tiki Crawl, and settling user disputes. I will still own the site, and will continue to run the technical side (keeping the site up and running) for the foreseeable future. But I will no longer be involved in the day-to-day operations, policy-making, and future site direction.

What does this mean to you and the rest of TC? Well, it shouldn't mean much. TC does run quite smoothly all by itself. This is mostly about handing off some of the high-level controls that I used to be the sole keeper of, and passing some of the policy-making to people who are more active on TC and know the current climate of its goings-on better than I do. I'll still be around to guide it, pass on advice, and help keep the tone I've provided. I actually see this as more of a promotion than a stepping-down. Like going from company president to Chairman of the Board, so to speak.

I still love Tiki and Tiki Culture. I still love Tiki people, and I still love Tiki Central! It is my love for TC that leads me to this. I want to see TC continue to thrive and evolve and keep its spirit alive, by people who love it as much as I do. This isn't a sad moment for me. I'm excited -- and frankly a bit relieved -- to be doing this. The timing seems right.

And if you're worried things are going to different -- don't. I had already handed over admin controls to TC member Hakalugi many months ago, and he has been doing a great job keeping TC running smoothly behind the scenes. In fact he's been doing a better job than I've been doing in recent years. If you've noticed spammers aren't nearly the problem they used to be, thank Haka.

So with that, I raise my tiki mug and propose a toast: To Tiki Central and all its members. Thanks for making it such a wonderful and life-changing twelve years for me!

Aloha and Mahalo! It's been a pleasure to serve you.

~Hanford

PS: There's a million people I need to thank -- too many to list here in its entirety -- so i'm going go to stick to a short list of old-timers who in some way help shaped my interest in Tiki and led me to get Tiki Central running in its current form.

• Otto Von Stroheim, for Tiki News, which was my first exposure to Tiki Culture
  • Jeff Berry for his prototype Grog Log, which was another early exposure for me
  • James Titelbaum, for the Tiki Bar Review Pages -- the first Tiki Bar resource on the web!
  • Mig Ponce, for helping me organize the first tiki gathering: The San Francisco Bay Area Tiki Crawl. This was the first time we got members together in real-life.
  • Sven Kirsten, for the Book of Tiki, and for jumping on board TC so early. There were almost NO IMAGES OF TIKI BARS on the web when the Book of Tiki came out.
  • Jon Blossom (non Tiki Central Member) for being an early tiki supporter. He suggested I buy the Tikiroom.com domain name, and was with me when I first stepped foot in a Trader Vic's.
  • Stuckie at MunkTiki, for making the Shecky mug, and later the Ohana Hut. I had no idea who Munktiki was at the time!
  • My fellow artists at LucasArts who had Tiki Mugs at their desks (there were a few). I remember being quite intrigued and fascinated by them, way before Tiki Central.
  • Ben Fuller, for encouraging me to leave the clutches of Yahoo and put Tiki Central on its own site.
  • All the charter members who were in love with tiki bars before Tiki Central had any real content. You guys made the site worth visiting
  • Jennifer Thompson (lastly but not leastly), for co-starting Tiki Central with me, and for pounding the pavement and getting new members when I was still embarrassed I was running an "internet club."

Again, this is just a short list of early influences, but I want to do an extra special mahalo to EVERYONE who has made Tiki Central so great.

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore 2012-01-13 01:43 ]

JB

Happy Birthday TC!

(and thank you Hanford and thank you Hakalugi!)

Thank you Hanford for creating TC!!!
Okole maluna :drink: ,
Erik the Red

Got Greyhounds? Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2012-01-12 16:03 ]

...and happy birthday TC.

Mahalo Hanford!

T

Happy birthday Tiki Central, and thank you Hanford for many years of great service to the Tiki Community!

I still have the email sent from Otto to his tiki events email list on 4/16/01:

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/tikicentral

go here

have fun

I signed up the next day (4/17/01).

I forgot that it was around over a year before I joined.

And here's the first post that I saved for future reference, from Bigbrotiki of course (6/15/01):

Ahh, the places, the cocktails....Since Madame Woo's in Santa Monica closed and one can not enjoy the incredible talent of Ex-Don the Beachcomber mixologist Tony Ramos anymore, the place to imbibe authentic Polynesian potions is definitely the

TIKI TI:
1.) The great White!
..like a Polynesian cocktail should be: A multi-layered taste sensation, so addictive you order another one, which is your downfall!

2.) The Navy Grog

3.) The Rum Barrel---also at:

Burt Hixson's THE WAREHOUSE in Marina Del Rey.
When coming in at LAX I always stop by and have one of their Rum Barrels (you still can take the barrel mug home) on the deck overlooking the Yacht Harbour, feel like a Marina Swinger and know I am back in L.A.

THE ROYAL HAWAIIAN Laguna Beach is one of the oldest authentic Tiki temples, unfortunately it's so far away that I never go there to taste their excellent Mai Tai.

BAHOOKA'S is a splendid Beachcomber environment.
Their ribs and Yams are great, unfortunately their cocktails are (in my opinion) what Beachbum Berry calls "Spiked Coolaid".

TRADER VIC'S Beverly Hills offers his whole menu of fine concoctions, but is just too much of a posh restaurant and not enough of a Tiki Lounge to be comfortable.

Pardon my reminiscing!

J

Cheers to TC and Hanford!
Okole Maluna!

S

wooohooo! Happy Birthday!
So glad I was able to be at the first crawl!!!!!
That was a freakin blast!
Take a load off, and be proud of your accomplishments!
Pea

8T

Thanks for updating us on your plans and for keeping this baby going for so long. It is a very special gathering place for us tikiphiles and we appreciate it so much. Just think of all we would not have learned from one another if your site had not been here for us to connect to. It's a nice legal addiction too!
Best wishes to you in all your future plans Hanford. 8FT

Hanford, congrats! Your creation has brought great joy and pleasure to alot of Tiki people, you have created a home and a place we are at home. I wish you all the best!

Kudos to Hakalugi great Choice!!!!!

Amy

E

Happy Anniversary and thanks for everything!!

A

Thanks Hanford for sticking it out so long, and making sure it continues too. Hakalugi's a great first mate and will make a great captain.

So the laughs continue as we go from Ha to Ha (-nford to -kalugi).

Even with the continually changing scenery on TC, I think a lot of old-timers still visit pretty regularly. Maybe not quite as often, and not as much stream of consciousness posting, but that's all a natural evolution. It's still an unparalleled resource, and a lot of fun.

-Randy

T

I've been holding off on making my 2000th post for something that seemed worthy.

If thanking Hanford for his immense contribution to the world of tiki via TC (and other things) isn't worthy, then I don't know what is.

Thanks Hanford!

And it's STILL the best "internet club" out there. Take that, Yahoo, Meetup, Faceboob and all the rest.

Love ya, Hanford. THANK YOU.

And good luck to Hakalugi! (still one of the most evocative tiki monikers out there...)

:)

Thanks Hanford and Happy Birthday TC. Raising a toast to you Brother! :drink:
3597 posts, holy shiiite. I never look at that. Member since 2003.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2012-01-12 16:56 ]

Happy Birthday TC and Mucho Mahaloz Hanford!!! Cheers to Hakalugi-You're already doing a great job!!

D

wow ~ i've never made it to a crawl.
you've done an outstanding job here. enjoy your retirement!

Happy Birthday TC, major props to Hakalugi for keeping things running super smooth around here
(Hey he has kept me in line! and that's not easy) here is to another 12 years!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Jan 12, 2012 5:26 PM

New President of Tiki Central?

1 vote for BILLY THE CRUD!!!!!

Hanford,

Thanks for everything. Can Hakalugi also pull the plug on TC when all hell breaks loose and make everybody go to their rooms? That was cool!

DC

Thank you Hanford, you changed my life for the better.

M

I LOVE YOU, MAN! Congrats on 12 years of TC! It has formed my life immensely; I even married a TC member, Inky louise!

Ps-If you are no longer at the helm, does that mean Russell S. Monkey can return!!?!?!

T

Mahalo nui loa, Hanford, for making it possible for Tiki peeps all over the world to be connected and be Ohana. Through Tiki Central, I have met many new friends, learned many new things and have an interesting place to visit nearly every day. And mahalo to Hakalugi for receiving and carrying the virtual Tiki torch.

And Happy Birthday, Tiki Central! We share the same birthday, January 12, a happy coincidence. I'm a wee bit older, having been born at the mid-century point like Tiki itself.

-Tom

[ Edited by: TikiTomD 2012-01-12 23:30 ]

This Place Sucks,
I Hate It Here And Always Will

I raise a toast to you my Hanford friend,

ALOHA!

thank you and aloha, hanford.

it's hard to imagine the world without tiki central.

happy birthday and congrats to hakalugi!

Happy Birthday Tiki Central!
Wow...12 years! That's Increrdible!
Thank you Hanford for creating this site
and giving all us Tiki peeps a place to learn and share and smile!

a Large mug raised to you and your incredible 12-year old !

Oh Ya,
Hak Sucks Too!

HAPPY B-DAY TIKI CENTRAL!!!

Big Mahalo's Hanford for creating such an awesome place to come talk story with some of the best people anywhere..

ALOHA! :drink:

wow...12 years! Well done, hanford!

I've learned so much from this site and met so many great people through TC that a "Thank you" just doesn't seem like enough.

Cheers to hanford and cheers to Haka for running the show now!

AND cheers to all the great people who make it fun to go to shows and events and chat on TC!

Happy Birthday TC you old friend. I know we have drifted apart as we grew and went our separate ways but I will always be thankful for all the good friends I had met and good times I have had thanks to you.

Cheers!

J

That puts Boris "A Heartbeat Away from the (Tiki) Presidency" !! :o

Thanks Hanford. :tiki:

Congratulations Karl. :drink:

Aloha!

Thanks to you Hanford. You have made Tiki more accessable (fun) and a wonderful community followed. My offer of drinks still stands when you hit my shores.

Can you possibly give us one more color on 'TikiShout' before you go? They tricked Dawn into thinkin' there was "Purple" just a few days ago and I think it's only fair. I have the PERFECT code in mind. I'll PM you.

And to you Hakalugi (One of the best screen names here. I've always laughed when I saw it.) for assuming the mantle, Thanks. No doubt this cyber world IS in good hands.

best,

Phillip

Happy 12th Tiki Central Tiki Freaks!!!

I'm soooo bummed you didn't put me in charge, Hanford.

I hope you get a flat tire while drinking a Fat Tire!

lol! Arrrrr. :);):);) Good Times you've made!!

MAhaloz!!!

p.s. perfect time for a lil' fried spam and eggs.

I might be on "Storage Wars" this Tues. 1/17.

Check it out.

WOW Happy Birthday Tiki Central! :D

Thanks for all your hard work Hanford and next time you're in L.A. let's get a drink and we can go over the "Thanks but No Thanks" list. :lol:

T

I caught this wave early and the ride has been excellent. Time to paddle out and catch the next one.

Thanks for ride, Hanford.

Surf's up 'Lugi. Let's roll.

TB

"TENNNNNN HUTTTTTT....... PRESSSSSENT ARRRMS! SHOULDERRRRRRRR ARMMMMS! FIRE! BOOM!...FIRE! BOOM!..... FIRE! BOOOM! It has been an honor to serve with you, Gen'rl. I raise my mug to you.

Happy Birthday Tiki Central! I know I've told you many times that TC changed my life. Thanks for the memories Hanford ~ it's been quite a ride! :)

Damn, I hope I don't owe that Hakalugi money...

Happy Birthday Tiki Central.

Mucho Kudos to you Hanford for providing such a wonderful Tiki playground. I have learned so much here and made so many wonderful friends, built a Tiki lounge in my home with sensational decor from the TC artists, enjoyed fabulous events, turned my ears on to awesome Exotica and sampled dreamy cocktails...all because of this site. Forever THANK-YOU!!!

Best of luck Hakalugi.

On 2012-01-12 19:46, freddiefreelance wrote:
Damn, I hope I don't owe that Hakalugi money...

we need a "like" button!!!

mahalo

Hau`oli Lā Hānau

good times good friends
more to fun to come....

Thank You, Hanford!

H

I got nowhere else to go... Three Cheers to H.L. Hip, Hip, Hooray !!!

Thank you for all your hard work in giving us all a home no matter where we are!

You've earned the rest.

Happy Birthday TC!

Yes, thank you Mr Hanford Lemoore for making TikiCentral. Because of TC, I got something that kind of resembles a part time occasional social life after my divorce. And what a great group of people I have met in this thing that kind of resembles a part time occasional social life.

Whatever happened to the TikiCentral aniversary party? We should add retirement/"congratulations on promotion" to the title

Happy 12 years TC, may you last five times that. Thanks so much Hanford for creating this wonderful little slice of paradise for us all to hang out in. And thanks to Hakalugie for carrying on the tradition. Here is a Mai Tai in your honor: :wink: :drink:

S

This post actually bought a tear to my eye. This site started a long time before i became involved/interested in Tiki culture and the majority of the posts so far seem to be from members who were here from the beginning, and that makes me feel like i am not worthy of posting. But damn it, i'm part of all this now and have to thank you Hanford for giving us Tikiphiles such a great place to interact. Happy Birthday TC and i hope you have many more to come.

Pages: 1 2 90 replies