Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Gallery

Lake Tiki - Tiki Decor In The Spirit of the South Pacific - 8/21/13

Pages: 1 2 51 replies

Well into my eleventh year of tiki carving now... picked up a chisel in the late winter of 2000 and never stopped.
Total pieces carved that now number easily over 1000, I never really kept track, just kept carving. Tikis, wallhangings, signs, pendants, shelves... lot's of variety.

I've had the pleasure of sharing my art with people throughout the world, at tiki events all over the country and at tiki bars and restaurants throughout the country.

The most rewarding thing about it all is the wealth of knowledge I've gained in carving skill, history lessons and the friends I've made along the way.

I'd like to share just a small sample of the variety of the work that I've done through the years.
Every item has been hand carved, hand painted and handmade by myself.

Mahalo to everyone for your wonderful support, and I'll try and keep this updated with new work.

Marquesan Inspired Wallhangings

Maori Inspired Wallhangings

Hawaiian Inspired Wallhangings

]

Cook Islands Inspired Wallhangings

Seafaring Craft Wallhangings

Scratch Built 3 Dimensional Tiki Bar Wallhangings

Hand Carved Log Tikis

Large Hand Carved Log Tikis

]

Hand Carved Interior Panels for a VW Westfalia

]

Hand Carved Signage for Trader Vic's, Chicago

Marquesan Poles For Foundation Tiki Bar, Milwaukee

Papua New Guinea Theme Booth for Foundation Tiki Bar, Milwaukee

Papua New Guinea Theme Stools for Foundation Tiki Bar, Milwaukee

Papua New Guinea Orator's Stool

Papuan Gulf Ceremonial Mask
For the "Call of the Tropics" show in Dayton, Ohio next weekend.
35" H x 30" W x 3/4" D
Wood, Paint, Cowry shells, Natural Fibers

Just a few of the logs I've carved in 2012... still lots of days left in the year to make more!

"Wrath of Ku."
31" H x 16" W x 1 5/8" D.
Hand carved from Poplar.

Abelam House Panel
34" H x 15" W x 1 1/4" Thick.
Hand carved from Poplar.

Around 8 or so hours of carving and over 20 hours of painting. Couldn't put it down until it was done.

Abelam House Panel
44" H x 13" W x 1" Thick.
Hand carved from Basswood.

It has 40 open work cuts and is hand painted.

"Twin Tangaroa Trio."
28.5" W x 20.5" H x 1.75" D.
Wood, Felt, Acrylics.
Part of "The Contemporary Idol" show at M Modern Gallery of Palm Springs.

Cannibal Trio for Hale Pele of Portland, OR today. Here are "The Catcher," "The Eater" and "The Digester" all together.
Each piece is 36" H x 18" W and hand carved from Pine.

Yangoru Boiken Mask of East Sepik, Papau New Guinea.
All the interior black areas are open work.
27.5" H x 11" W.

]

Cannibal.
28" H x 8" W.
Carved from White Pine

Cannibal Trio pole.
Homage to Steven Crane's Kon Tiki.
White Pine. 5' H x 8" W.

[ Edited by: Lake surfer 2013-09-03 08:01 ]

B

Your awesome Lake!

Amazing output, amazing work!

I'm a proud owner of one of your Tikis, and I can't wait to own more!

The retrospective is a great idea. I really enjoyed getting to see so much of your work in this arrangement. It is absolutely beautiful.

Babalu,
Your talent and attention to detail have always been an inspiration to me to push my work further and further...
Thanks for the kind compliment, it means a lot.

Carl,
Thanks for the kind words! I'm happy with 99.9% of everything I do, but you've got one of the special ones for sure.
I'm glad that Ku went to a good home.

Professor G,

Thank you for the kind compliment! Since they all go to new homes, I try to document every piece so I have something to remember then by.
Its fun to look back and see where I've come from... and where I'm going.

S

Great stuff there Lake. I love the variety in your work, you don't stick to one type of imagary yet still retain your own style.
I did a mug trade with Travelling Jones a few years ago and when i opened the box there was a wall hanging of yours that he had thrown in as a surprise. I wasn't too familiar with your work at the time but must say i'm pretty happy now that i have a piece of your art in my collection.

swizzle,

Thank you very much for the compliments on my work!
There's so much amazing variety in the art throughout the South Pacific regions, its hard to just stick to one area.
I really don't have a favorite anymore, I enjoy them all.

Travelling Jones is a good friend, I know he has a nice collection of my work. I miss his posts, hope he returns to TC again.
Hope you enjoy your Lake Tiki creation!

Dave! It's awesome to just scroll down and see all this work! Beautiful!

Robert,

Thank you! Its been a pleasure following your art this past year also!
Keep up the great work!

C
cy posted on Mon, Feb 13, 2012 9:29 PM

Incredible body of work Lake Surfer, I like every one of them!

Quite a Quiver there,Dave!
Love how you study and then recreate our Old Masters!
Amazing to see it all stacked up!
See you in a few weeks!

cy,
thanks for your kind compliment!

Ken,
Many thanks my friend! Much too much to post it all, this barely scratches the surface.
But this is some of the work that I think best represents where I'm going with it all.
It is fun to see it all laid out here... quite a variety.
Looking forward to seeing you also in a few weeks! Have fun in Palm Springs!

A
amate posted on Wed, Feb 15, 2012 4:01 AM

Great job on the gallery. It's like a trip to the museum.

Thank you amate!

Many trips to my own museum and library inspired so many of the works seen here!

Dave,

I remember when we both started carving.... Unfortunately I really dont produce much anymore but your consistent output of artwork is really amazing.
You have done so much work over this past decade.

Its really impressive and inspiring. I really have enjoyed the journey seeing your work evolve and grow.

Keep it up. Nicely done.

Looking forward to seeing you March 4 at Don the Beachcomber for the International TIKI Market Place! Your works will be a great addition!!!

Derek,

Thank you very much for your kind compliments.
I have always admired your work, and I saw that you pushed hard for perfection in your pieces.
It has always been something I've strived hard for in my own work. I've smashed countless pieces and chucked many a log
in the firewood pile because I wasn't happy with it. But the next time I picked up a tool, I had figured out a new and better way of doing something.

Glad I could inspire, and thanks for inspiring me all these years. Mahalo!

Chris,

Thank you, and I am really looking forward to the event in a few weeks!
Looks like a great lineup and good time for all!

Dave,

Your gallery looks incredible, but then I pleasantly smile and admire many of these works in my tiki room and other parts of my home in Phoenix. I look forward to seeing you and the new pieces in your collection on March 4th! Hope to add a couple more for the Dexter Gallery!

Larry,

Thanks much for the kind compliments, but this gallery might as well be your home gallery as so many of these pieces are in your collection.
It has been and continues to be an honor and a pleasure sharing my little carving habit with you and your family.
Looking forward to talking story and tipping a few rum based drinks with you in a few weeks!

K

Hey Dave,

You've done lots of work. And you excel at your work. My wife and I are proud to be owners of some Lake Surfer pieces! Looking forward to future pieces, and to adding to our collection.

Mahalo braddah!
Woody

K

Amazing carves lake

Woody,

Many thanks kind sir for your wonderful support over the years and for the continuing words of encouragement.
It makes my head hurt to think of how many pieces I've created, but I've gotten tons of enjoyment from each and every one.
I'm sure there's plenty more to come down the road.

Ken,

Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate the props!

hello dave - brian over around Mai Kai part of the world - great art - not sure how to contact u for possibly purchasing (if available) circa 3 ft Marquesan tiki pole ur showing here - looks grey - paper price tag attached - its beautiful - guess i'll just give u my email - sorry can't tell how else u guys get in touch with each other on this site - hope to hear from you - have a good one - later - Brian - email: [email protected] - cool if u could make Hukilau - going to be in cooler temp. part of year this time.

Aloha Brian,

Thanks for your compliment on my tikis, very much appreciated.

Best way to get in touch with me is [email protected] or send me a personal message via this forum.

I will get in touch with you via your email address and we can talk further.

I don't think I'm going to make it to Florida this year for the Hukilau unfortunately... hope you all have a great time!

A few new pieces posted up... more big work to come...

Man i can look at this over an over,fantastic stuff Dave

Many thanks Watango!

Two more big carvings posted up. I'm just about out of the big boards, but one more piece in the works.

New piece added...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2012-06-30 09:02 ]

What do your tikis sell for and do you ship?

I like the one on the left and the one on the far right.

Added a photo of some of this year's tikis... page one.

S

LOVE!!!!!!!!!! :)

Mahalo!

New piece added...

Dave, everything looks great. I'm excited to see what you come up with our bar.

Thank you Kimmy! I'll be in touch soon!

Another new piece added...

The PNG carving is great, like all of your other carvings.

Thank you tikilongbeach! Appreciate the compliment!

K

That's a lotta painting! Wow, another homer. I'm jealous of whoever ends up with that piece! Awesome as always!

Thank you Woody, I really appreciate your kind compliments! The Abelam board is something I have wanted to do for a while, and yes, after a few hours in I realized how much painting was going to be involved. It's all fun though, from the carving to the painting. I love watching it all evolve.

Very nice additions to the Foundation Bar! I look forward to my next visit. Your work is all really great.

On 2012-11-08 15:33, lunavideogames wrote:
Very nice additions to the Foundation Bar! I look forward to my next visit. Your work is all really great.

Thanks! I appreciate the kind compliment! Foundation Tiki Bar has really grown to be a wonderful little paradise, and I'm proud to be a part of it!

Brand new Abelam House Panel added.

Great seeing all your work like this, we love our two tikis by you! You are such an inspiration on my carving, hope to see you at Ohana again!

Many thanks Zombie Oasis! Great to see you last year! Hope to see you again this year! Glad I could inspire, you're doing great work!

Update with a few more pieces from last year...

New mask added... First page...

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2013-05-30 17:21 ]

Cannibal log added... first page.

Pages: 1 2 51 replies