Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

An Intellectual History of Cannibalism

Pages: 1 8 replies

I

This was definitely the most interesting book review I've read today.

'An Intellectual History of Cannibalism' by Catalin Avramescu
http://lareviewofbooks.org/post/18900540016/people-who-eat-people

I have not yet purchased or read the book, but the above book review provides some insight into the theological debates raised by the Church and missionaries when encountering civilization where people were eaten. Here is a sample .....

A starving man eats the flesh of another, whereupon the flesh of the eaten is transformed into that of the eater. At the Resurrection, how will the bodies of each be made whole and rise up entire? If this problem could not be satisfactorily addressed, one Church Father wrote, critics could rightly “draw the conclusion that the resurrection cannot take place, because it is not possible for two men to be resurrected with the same flesh at the same time.”

[ Edited by: ikitnrev 2012-03-11 21:27 ]

So, what about moderns who have received blood, tissue or organ transfusions / grafts / transplants?

Spirituality should be bigger than that manner of silliness.

So this is the derivation:

It was the discovery of the Americas, and especially Columbus’s voyages to the West Indies, that gave the European imagination more cannibals than ever existed before. Indeed, Columbus discovered cannibals almost at the moment he discovered America: The word cannibal came into European languages via Columbus’s usage, probably from the Carib people he encountered. Trying to make out both where he was and the identity of the indigenous peoples he encountered, he wrote that “there are men with one eye and others with dogs’ snouts who eat men. On taking a man they behead him and drink his blood and cut off his genitals,” and on November 23, 1492, the word “canibales” appears in his log for the first time. “Cannibal” was the proper name of a defined group of people-who-eat-people that came to designate anyone who ate human flesh.

Curiously, the article fails to mention the Mayans, who were believed to have eaten hearts as part of a religious ritual (sort of like Catholics do today?) or after wining (or losing?) a ball game (to show power, dominance or self-sacrifice).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/18/destination-truth-blood-stained-walls-cannibals-video_n_1682068.html

On "Destination Truth" (Tue., 9 p.m. ET on Syfy), the team set off for Fiji to investigate rumors of a tribe that practiced cannibalism. They were following the story of a group of missionaries who came to the area, were never seen again and were feared to be victims of cannibalism.

At local shops, utensils for eating human brains were available for purchase, but it was another lead that had the hairs on the backs of their necks standing at attention. A local told them about a cave where enemies were allegedly taken and eaten.

Upon arriving at the case, the investigative team discovered what appeared to be a rudimentary oven, with a burn mark in it. On the walls, they were certain they could see scorch marks from the fires, and even blood residue.

The evidence was enough for the team to accept the possibility that cannibalistic practices could have occurred in the cave, and enough for at least one viewer to re-think Fiji as a vacation destination.

P

If it's happening in Miami and Europe then why not Fiji, where they have a better tradition of it?

The first cannibal says, "I don't like my mother-in-law." The other responds, "Try the chicken."

"I don't like my Ex-wife."

"Yes, too bitter."

I'll be here all week. Enjoy the buffet. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

[ Edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-07-18 20:21 ]

I'll be here all week. Enjoy the buffet. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Yer a genius. May you get both applause and the clap.

[ Edited by: White Devil 2012-07-19 05:51 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies