Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Should I take these from someone's trash?

Pages: 1 5 replies

There's a prop house next to my office that is getting rid of two pieces that probably were used to "look like a bar." I'd like to take the pink one and put it in my tiki bar (aka my garage) and make a soda fountain out of it (just put the cans into the already open spaces on top of the bar). There is also this mid century modern looking one if any of you are interested in that. These suckers are heavy and sturdily made. So I need a few opinions.

1. Worth it?

2. Worth it enough to hire a truck and day laborers to tote it to my house?

3. Find someone in the LA area who has a truck and wants to take the mid century modern piece and who would be willing to bring the pink one to my house, which is not far from my work?

Well...as a hoarder (shhh, don't tell anyone) I would snag em all...I love the curved pieces and think you could enhance them for bar usage. They sound pretty sturdy and the investment in the transport of them might be less than if you built them yourself, but JMHO...I am not a carpenter.

Thanks VampiressRN! You're not a hoarder, you are a curator! ;)

I took another look at them last night and they are heavy as a M-effer. I don't think I could build something like them myself, they are good pieces. I'm gonna grift someone into helping me get the pink one home. It's literally a half a mile from my house :)

I collect salvage wood for other projects, so i have a place to store it while I re-do it.

Either one of those would make a great Tiki bar. A little bamboo & lauhala, put a top on & you're done. If I wasn't 3000 miles away, I'd take you up on your offer. I think I'd ditch the soda fountain idea, though. Especially if your room is Tiki. You've got the foundation of a great Tiki bar there. Someone else has already done the hard work. All you gotta do is Tikify it. Great find. Keep us updated on your plans.

TT

My answer was "yes, take em" without even reading the thread. & after seeing the pics it's still "yes, take em".

What is the update on the project...were you able to get them. I also agree about not turning the pre-cut top into a fountain...I would suggest you build a top for it and cover in vintage post-cards and a heavy varathane...that's what I would do. Fingers crossed that they are yours.

Pages: 1 5 replies