Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Turtle's Tiki Inspired Work

Pages: 1 29 replies

T
Turtle posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2012 8:22 PM

Hello Tiki Central and a special hello to my friend Babalu,

So, a few years ago Babalu visited me and told me all about this great Tiki community and I felt inspired to make some work. Life distracted me for a while (for about three years, oops) but I finally got around to it. This is the first group of mugs that I pulled from the kiln this afternoon and I would like to share the results with everyone here.. I know these mugs may not be completely traditional but I had a blast making them and plan to make some more real soon. I’ve been inspired!

B

Howzit Turtle!
Brada, Very Nice!! Your designs are awesome, ya not so traditional but original and different is sometimes even better.. I love your glaze colors that you used, the guy on the left with the big red tongue is too cool and the neon green with the bone... Nice!
Let's see some more pictures! :wink:

Aloha

Pure fun. I can see a lot of crazy guys at a party sharing stories and admiring each others mug. Thank you for sharing. I'd certainly look again to see what's next, Wendy

Brother Babalu converts another tiki ceramicist :D
Welcome to TC Turtle.

T

Hey Thanks Everyone! I'm really excited to be on this forum to hear your feedback. Here are a few details of each individual mug. A few of them have handles and are kind of Tiki Steins. The little one is more like a coffee cup, but what the heck. Who says that you can't spike your morning coffee with a bit of rum? :wink: Enjoy!

Tiki Steins

Tiki Java Mug

Green Man Tiki

Woodsman Tiki

"Death of a Salesman" Tiki Mug. - this one is a bit of personal reaction to working in a cubicle for the past few years.

[ Edited by: Turtle 2012-04-10 17:19 ]

Hay HONU,
Way cool clay

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2012-04-11 08:54 ]

B

oooooh, this is soooo cool!!

Welcome to TC and to tiki sister Turtle! You're going to have lots of fun exploring new things.

I've really missed you, and the old crew! The new mugs look super sharp kiddo.

Everyone around here is going to be so glad to see some thrown and altered work...no one throws around here.

Big YAY!

Babs

Hey, I like those crazy handles!

Wild and crazy...I like 'em!!!

T

Babalu! Great to talk with you buddy! I'm looking forward to future clay talk!

Thanks MadDogMike, I like how the handles are working with the steins so far. I wanted them to look kind of bone or antler like. They can be a bit picky when you fire them but after they make it through the process they are rock solid.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to making more and kicking around here at Tiki Central.

C
cy posted on Wed, Apr 11, 2012 9:01 AM

Really nice work Turtle!

Sorry, but they remind me of these:

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2012-04-11 17:04 ]

T

freddiefreelance - HA! That's hysterical! - What happens when you squeeze one of those stuffed things? What sounds do those make?

T

Mugs sculpted and waiting to be smoothed out and dried. I decided to make a set of these using a much darker clay body then I did with the first group. I like the idea of working with both looks in the future.

Wow you've been hard at work. Good job. Those squeeze me toys are so cute and very tiki too. Wendy

B

Those mugs look AWESOME! I would love to one to my collection.

Very cool

T

Thanks Wendy and hang10tiki. Great hearing your feedback.

bavtech - Thanks! I'm really glad you like my work. I will let you know first thing when I finish these up and have a few to sell. I love making them and would like to sell some in the future.

I'll post more pictures as they get closer.

T

Some Trophy head designs I am playing with. Not completely satisfied with this first batch but I think the direction they could go might be interesting. I want to see how the glazes work out on these four before I play with this look some more.

The backs of the trophy head designs have a turtle on them. I have patterned an ocean navigational compass design on the turtle shells. All meaningful imagery for me but I won't bore you with my personal mumbo jumbo. :)

[ Edited by: Turtle 2012-04-29 12:53 ]

[ Edited by: Turtle 2012-04-29 16:07 ]

Nice Turtle, looks like you're having a good time!

T

Almost done glazing this current batch of work. Should have a batch fired this week sometime.

T

Finished a set of mugs for my sisters collection.

Dark Clay Lava Kings.

B

Great work!! Those are some really cool mugs!

[ Edited by: bavtech 2012-06-13 14:04 ]

Turtle, I like those "Dark Clay Lava Kings" - nice!

T
Turtle posted on Wed, Jul 4, 2012 1:04 PM

Thanks Bavtech! Thanks Mad Dog Mike!

Greatly appreciate the support.

I think I am going to post these Dark Clay Lava King mugs up for sale on the Marketplace today. Need to buy some more clay so I can make some more work. :)

I took some better pictures of them that I will put with the marketplace post as well.

Your sister is super lucky to get those mugs. I really appreciate how you create. Your glazing is wonderful, Wendy

T

Thanks Wendy!

Well, I went to a local Tiki Bar last night.

"Adrift" - Located around 1st and Broadway in Denver Colorado.

I'm not really qualified to give a detailed Tiki review so I'll just say that I enjoyed myself and the service was great.
I'm told they have a really nice patio but I was there during a thunderstorm so I'll have to check the patio out some other time.

Thought I would share some pictures of the inside decor.

T
Turtle posted on Sat, Nov 3, 2012 2:45 PM

Well, it has been awhile since my last post, but that does not mean I have not been making stuff. :) Here are a few wheel thrown and hand glazed Pineapple design tiki cups.

T
Turtle posted on Sat, Nov 3, 2012 2:46 PM

And I made a couple Head Shot Glasses as well. Fun fun.

T
Turtle posted on Sat, Nov 3, 2012 3:00 PM

Still sculpting as well. This guy stands about 14 3/4 inches high.

Red Fire Lava King

Pages: 1 29 replies