Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Beat - San Diego

Pages: 1 36 replies

A

I noticed that the San Diego City Beat magazine has a full page ad for an event called "CityBeat Presents TikiBeat - The Official Start of Summer Pool Party." It's going to be Friday, May 11 from 6:30 to 10:30 pm at the Lafayette Hotel, 2223 El Cajon Blvd.

I've no idea how "tiki" this event will be. It lists live music, DJs, fashion show, art show, and more. And it doesn't say what the cost is, only that tickets will be available the night of the event only.

Just throwin' it out there.

Thanks for posting about this! I went to both the Lafayette website and the CityBeat website to look for more info (such as the ticket price), but with no luck--this doesn't even show up in their own event listings, which is odd. But I did find the ad in the online version of the issue, if anyone is interested:

O
Otto posted on Wed, Apr 18, 2012 10:32 PM

Tiki Oasis will have a booth/art exhibit there. Seems like it will be fun.

A

I see now that Secret Samurai will be playing a the event.

S

there is some info on facebook about this event. sponsored by "Cuties for a Cause" to benefit a teen art group.

S

OOPS......WRONG DATE.......WRONG EVENT.......SAME LOCATION I probably should pay more attention to details.

I'm working on stuff for this show right now.

https://www.facebook.com/events/282614271824669/

Thanks for the heads up.

[ Edited by: John Slinger 2012-04-26 22:51 ]

A

Some friends and I are planning to go to this tonight. Anyone else?

Secret Samurai Will be playing two 45 minute sets:
8:20 - 9:05
9:35 - 10:20

enjoy, wish I could be there.

Jeff(btd)

I'll be there to check it out. However if it turns out not to be as tiki as I expected, or if I start to get a distinct age-inappropriate feeling, my visit will end.

So how was Tiki Beat for those of you that went? Marion coudn't go at the last minute and we were wondering.

A

I thought it was pretty good, and my friends seemed to have a good time. It's a cool place for a pool party, and It was a good turnout with a really mixed crowd - rockabilly, tiki-philes, hipsters, and people who seemed like they really weren't sure why they were there. Nothing especially "tiki" about the event. Secret Samurai were really good, and the burlesque show was fun.

I think the funniest moment of the evening for me was when I went to one of the pool bars. Noticing that they had a few rums I asked what tropical drinks the bartender could make. He repled, "I can make a mai tai." I hesitantly said OK. He then proceeded to pour every fruit juice he had (pineapple, orange, cranberry, and god knows what else), plus a couple of rums, into a cup. I just had to laugh.

On 2012-05-12 15:20, arriano wrote:
He repled, "I can make a mai tai." I hesitantly said OK. He then proceeded to pour every fruit juice he had (pineapple, orange, cranberry, and god knows what else), plus a couple of rums, into a cup. I just had to laugh.

I wouldn't expect anything different.
sadly.

Jeff(btd)

A

Tiki Beat

May 10, 2013 - 6:30 to 10:30 pm
Lafayette Hotel - San Diego

Live music: Creepxotica, The Devastaors, Quintinn Holi of Hale Ukulele

Polynesian dancers and drummers, chainsaw art and Tiki Oasis Art Show

http://www.sdcitybeat.com/sandiego/flex-262-tiki-beat.html

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2013-05-07 13:49 ]

is anyone going to this? i do love me some creepy creeps...

On 2013-05-06 16:09, Tiki-mingo wrote:

You should reread your post, which gave me the "laugh of the day"
kudos sir, kudos!

KS

On 2013-05-06 16:20, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

On 2013-05-06 16:09, Tiki-mingo wrote:

You should reread your post, which gave me the "laugh of the day"
kudos sir, kudos!

Looks good to me... The Creepy Creeps are da BOMB!!!!!!!

But sounds funny!

I have a bachelor party this night so I will not be able to attend. Otherwise it sounds cool, I would like to check it out. Be sure to let me know how it is.

A

On 2013-05-07 12:30, lunavideogames wrote:
I have a bachelor party this night so I will not be able to attend. Otherwise it sounds cool, I would like to check it out. Be sure to let me know how it is.

You have a bachelor party on Friday and your own party on Saturday? You're my hero.

Oh yeah I am a total rock star :)

No just really busy. 4 weddings this year and I am in 2 of them. I would have likely been in 3 but Kelly is having just family. But I still got to plan his bachelor party and make a playlist for his reception. Next month I am off to Jamaica for another bachelor party and then in August to Minneapolis for a wedding and then in September its Lake Tahoe for another bachelor party that I planned.

So my year got booked up fast! I am glad I went on a couple vacations at the beginning of the year.

Not as many people this year, but still a good time.

Wow an event named after me!!

Its so hot in san Diego right now, thinking i'll check this out! May 23erd 2014 $10 at the door

I think some friends and I are going to check this out too. See you there!

I will be there again this year. Super excited. Hoping they learned how to make Mai Tai's instead of just pouring cheap rum into Pineapple and Orange juice, and toping with grenadine.

A

On 2014-05-21 13:41, TheKiltedFez wrote:
I will be there again this year. Super excited. Hoping they learned how to make Mai Tai's instead of just pouring cheap rum into Pineapple and Orange juice, and toping with grenadine.

You got a better mai tai than I did. I went one year and asked a pool-side bartender if he made any tropical drinks. He said he could make a mai tai. He then dumped a bit of every juice he had behind the bar -- pineapple, orange, cranberry and god knows what else -- along with some Barcardi Superior and charged me a pretty penny. I couldn't even finish it. Blecch. I shudder just recalling it.

Sounds like I will be drinking beer.

Hmm. Maybe we won't make the extra effort to attend this one, then ...

My usual experience there (And this is just me) is the usual Hipsters and
and Hip Hop Crowds asking me for a damn picture all night for their watermarked "Party Club" Photos. So I don't think I'll be attending. I don't want to come off Jaded or anything but when the whole majority of my wife and I's night consists of attendees asking us why were wearing such bright colors gets a little frustrating.

I give kudos to those like the Gefrom's and Gene with his Art trying to make it happen with more to attend, and please don't let my comments steer you away from going.

Just providing my two cents of the past years.

Be safe and find some good drinks tonight people !

Jason,
you forgot the usual,
"how long does it take to get your hair to stand up like that"?
������

Jeff btd

So we went to the event last night. WAY bigger than in years past. Pretty good due to the better amount of Tiki attendees, still only about 20 total, but small compared to the 300 plus people that attended.

From what I remember, it was a blast. But with the $1 beers at the Happy Hour, and Rum and Cokes that went down pretty easy, there are many parts that are a bit of a blur. I do remember the ladies talking about some hot, buff guy that crashed the fashion show and jumped in the pool though.

Not sorry I missed it then. Better luck next year Tiki Beat...

Pages: 1 36 replies