Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Banana drink?

Pages: 1 15 replies

N

Does anyone have a good Banana (tiki style) drink recipe? I have too many ripe Bananas. I also have a bunch of fresh Mangos and a few Limes.

T

Lately I've been enjoying the Banana Boat from Jeff Berry's Intoxica. It's like a Pina Colada but with banana liqueur and some bitters added. I'm sure you could add some fresh banana as well with good results.

R
Rain posted on Mon, Jun 16, 2003 3:24 PM

rain's low-rent drinking:
pineapple juice, bananas, crushed ice and rum is a good easy mix for an alcoholic smoothie.
a shot of orange juice or curacao adds a little flavor twist.
i tend to just put anything i have in the blender with a few shots. kind of like refrigerator stew, but with cocktails.

M

Interestingly, there is no recipe in either the grog log or intoxica that uses fresh bananas. Not sure how that happened. I make something at home called a Banana Mamacow, as it is a fusion of the banana mama and the banana cow.

1 ripe banana
2 oz white rum
.5 oz banana liqueur
1 oz coco lopez
.5 oz half and half

Blend with an ample amount of ice, and top with grated nutmeg. It's very very sweet, but a lot of visitors to the Foggy Grotto like it a lot- usually because it's one of the only drinks without fresh tart juice.

I second Rain's comments. Blend up some rum and bananas, drop in whatever flavor slant you wanna go with (don't forget the chocolate banana option) and add ice. Really hard to mess up...And if you do, just add more stuff and make a bigger batch.

when you have ripe bananas that won't last another day - cut 'em up and freeze 'em.

cut them into 1/2" slices and put them on a cookie sheet in your freezer. as soon as they are frozen, put them in zip-locked baggies - they'll last for a few more weeks that way and you can still use them for banana drinks or smoothies.

p.s.
same goes for the mangos and many other fruits as well... you can also squeeze lemons and limes into an ice cube tray for fresh frozen juice in the future!

[ Edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-06-17 01:35 ]

BBC

1 & 1/2 oz. Bailey's
1 & 1/2 oz. Cream of Coconut
1 oz. Pineapple Juice
Half a banana

Blend with crushed ice. Garnish with a pineapple wedge and a cherry.

[ Edited by: Cowtown Kahuna on 2003-06-18 11:01 ]

KK

I call it..."the Banana Hammock™":
1 oz deKuyper banana liqueur
1/4 oz deKuyper creme de cacao
1 oz spiced (yes, spiced) rum, alá Sailor Jerry, Capt. Morgan, et.al
A layered cordial, pour the creme de cacao in first, followed by banana, then rum.
A fresh sprig of mint on top makes it all good.
An excellent nightcap.

BTW, if you've tried cheaper (i.e., Bols) liqueurs to see if it made a difference, you already know- it sure does.

[ Edited by: Kava King on 2004-05-14 08:12 ]

[ Edited by: Kava King on 2004-05-14 08:12 ]

KK

I call it..."the Banana Hammock™":
1 oz deKuyper banana liqueur
1/4 oz deKuyper creme de cacao
1 oz spiced (yes, spiced) rum, alá Sailor Jerry, Capt. Morgan, et.al
A layered cordial, pour the creme de cacao in first, followed by banana, then rum.
A fresh sprig of mint on top makes it all good.
An excellent nightcap.

P

Well, the first drink I learned to make while I was still in High School back in the day was a Banana Daiquiri.

from to Seagram's Bartending guide

Banana Daiquiri

1 oz dark rum
1/4 oz Triple sec
juice 1/2 lime
1/2 medium ripe banana
1 tsp bar sugar (powder sugar works well)
8 oz crushed ice
Whir in blender untill smooth pour in to wine glass

Banana Daiquiri II
3/4 oz Captain Morgan Spiced Rum
1/2 oz creme de banana
1 3/4 sweet & Sour mix
1/2 ripe banana
Blend in a blender with a scoop of crushed ice

[ Edited by: Blank Reg on 2004-05-28 22:48 ]

mmmmm - bahhnnnaaaannaaahhhhs

I thought you would never ask! I have tons of banana plants (hence the moinker) when they ripen, (under kraft paper tents) they tend to ripen all at once. I die for fried banana, the plantains are the best to fry but regular bananas fry well too. Get a fry pan medium hot, run into it a 1/8 stick of real butter, drop in sliced bananas and sprinkle with just a little brown sugar, watch out cause the butter will burn so keep them moving without breaking them up. Soon as they carmelize, yank em to a blotting paper towel. You can't eat enough! BTW I have plenty of used motor oil around, but I would never make a drink from that either!

KK

I always heard that after a banana tree (plant) bears fruit it kicks the bucket. Not true apparently, if yours are pumping 'em out with no ill effect.

S

Mangoe Page Add bananas tot he recipe sparingly as they tend to over power.

Yes banana stalks die when they fruit, it is called monocarpic

\Mon`o*car"pic, fruit: Bearing fruit but once, and dying after fructification, as beans, maize, mustard, etc.

The stalks come from a tuber (looks like a huge sweet potato) as each stalk fruits, a dozen or so new stalks sprout, it can be evasive like bamboo if you are not careful. I have dozens of varities, all different fruit and growth patterns. I grow bananas and rare palms, bamboo and other tropical plants, it keeps me from beer bars and away from loose women, I can bore you with botanical names for hours, drives my wife nuts!

M

On 2003-06-16 16:19, martiki wrote:
Interestingly, there is no recipe in either the grog log or intoxica that uses fresh bananas. Not sure how that happened. I make something at home called a Banana Mamacow, as it is a fusion of the banana mama and the banana cow.

1 ripe banana
2 oz white rum
.5 oz banana liqueur
1 oz coco lopez
.5 oz half and half

Blend with an ample amount of ice, and top with grated nutmeg. It's very very sweet, but a lot of visitors to the Foggy Grotto like it a lot- usually because it's one of the only drinks without fresh tart juice.

I had one of these at Forbidden Island. Might be my favorite drink ever.

Pages: 1 15 replies