Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Trader Sam's-Disneyland is coming out with their own mugs

Pages: 1 2 73 replies

So many TCers there today, But Polypop showed up three seperate times
so he is TCs most hard-core! Tiki Man.

Thank's Kelly sorry you never got a break from mixing cocktails, The new mugs rock, Holden.
we had a great dinner at "Brennen's New Orleans Jazz Kitchen" A number one!

Hopefully the mugs will appear again later at a more reasonable price. I would be interested in knowing how the volcano bowls compare in capacity to non-Disney bowls. A good balance of both form and function is always nice.

[ Edited by: AceExplorer 2012-05-26 09:28 ]

J

On 2012-05-25 14:28, tikilongbeach wrote:

On 2012-05-24 18:20, jokeiii wrote:

On 2012-05-24 18:04, tikilongbeach wrote:
For everyone out of state I'm sure the new Trader Sam's mugs will end up on ebay. Everything ends up on ebay. I'll be going after work to pick up mine!

For 3x the retail price where they languish stubbornly.

That's unfortunately true.

They're already up there and at nosebleed prices. This isn't limited to Disney stuff, as anyone who has seen the swarms of people descending on, say, Target to scoop up Missoni items for resale can attest.

Speaking strictly for myself, I'm willing to wait it out...I see no need to subsidize gougers.

[ Edited by: jokeiii 2012-05-26 22:50 ]

Holden, that bowl is sweet! The barrel is a killa! Trader Sams-the drinks were tasty.
Ace ; the barrel holds a little more than 2 1/4 cups (18 oz.). The bowl has a capacity of 3 1/2 cups (28 oz.) There are some small holes 1/4 " or so from the rim of the bowl that prevents filling the bowl completely.Otherwise Sam's would be serving up 32/34 oz. bombs. I dunno how these stack up against other mugs and bowls. TS's doesn't fill the barrel (shipwreck) to the top either but still a fair price if you buy the drink/vessel combo.

I went to Trader Sam's today. The new mugs are great. I especially like how the barrel mug fits in with the Trader theme.

When we were leaving, the bartender swapped our dirty mugs for new clean ones, still individually packed in boxes. The boxed mugs, both the barrel and Uh Oa bowl, have "Made In China" stickers on them. Do we know these are really Tiki Farm products? They don't say "Tiki Farm" on them anywhere and I seem to remember Mr. Westland saying once that Tiki Farm mugs are manufactured in Mexico.

-- Update --

I had the great pleasure of meeting Mr. Holden Westland last weekend at the Don the Beachcomber marketplace event. He was extremely gracious -- engaging in friendly conversation with everyone, whether they were buying mugs or not. Anyway, I asked him about the new Sam's mugs and he confirmed they are indeed made by Tiki Farm. You all knew that already though I'm guessing.

As for not saying "Tiki Farm" on them, this is because Disney did not want them to. That's not really so surprising now that I think about it.

As for them being made in China, well, they are.

[ Edited by: kenbo-jitsu 2012-06-04 23:52 ]

I bought my 2 today! LOVE Em'! The barrel mug without a drink was $13.00 and the bowl without drink was $30.00. No Annual Pass discount though, bummer! But still worth it! As of 2:00pm, they had plenty left.

if
Any one ends up with an extra trader sams bowl- I'd love to grab one for an east coaster - NOT ebay style but happy to cover shipping / gas price.
Doesn't need to be "1st edition"
pm me.
mahalo

I grabbed my mug the other night.....and while their discovered a new quest while relaxing and listening to the music.

Does anyone know where you can get ahold of the music that is played at Trader Sam's????

http://pineapplemantiki.blogspot.com/2012/06/my-quest-for-trader-sams-tiki-mug.html

does anyone know who designed the Trader Sam's mugs?

T

Thanks for the music. Added it to my library to listen when in my home bar. Awesome

On 2012-06-10 20:22, bratmonkey68 wrote:
does anyone know who designed the Trader Sam's mugs?

Tikifarm is not talking, But if you are familiar with two artist who have a long history
of designing for Disney/Tiki etc. you might have a clue.

On 2012-06-10 20:15, bratmonkey68 wrote:
http://disneydesignerland.blogspot.com/2011/05/cause-for-celebration.html

here is some Trader Sam's music for you.

Wow, how did I not see that before, thanks for the link!

V

Oh dear - just saw this thread! Looks like I'll have to tag along with Ms. VanTiki when she runs the tinker bell half marathon at D-Land in January!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Was at my boys volleyball tournament at the Anaheim Convention Center all weekend, which is a 10 minute walk to Trader Sam's. Stopped in a few times and got the barrel mug, but they were out of bowls. Manager said they were getting more on Tuesday.

The good news is they now have two custom swizzles! A short one and a long one.

PNG style and the front side says Trader Sam's

Back side says Disneyland Hotel.

Boris needs some!

DC

(P.S. I need help with swizzle photography)

So word in the jungle says that there may just be a new Tiki mug soon! Possibly Halloween-ish.

Facebook: Trader Sam's

(Press [ESC] to get past the part where it tells you to sign in/up to be able to resd posts)

[->>King Bushwich 33rd on Hulu.com

As many as 1,000 Disney fans stood in line for up to five hours early Tuesday morning for a chance to buy a coveted Haunted Mansion souvenir from the Trader Sam’s Enchanted Tiki Bar at the Disneyland Hotel.

Orange County Register: ‘Madness’: 1,000 Disney fans wait hours to snap up coveted Hatbox Ghost tiki mug

2019 version of Hatbox Ghost mug. The second edition of the collectible mug will be available at the Disneyland Hotel Convention Center’s South Lounge at 7 a.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 15 2019

Expect big lines for Trader Sam’s Hatbox Ghost tiki mug as Disneyland fans turn out for Haunted Mansion collectible

J

On 2019-10-15 00:41, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
2019 version of Hatbox Ghost mug. The second edition of the collectible mug will be available at the Disneyland Hotel Convention Center’s South Lounge at 7 a.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 15 2019

Expect big lines for Trader Sam’s Hatbox Ghost tiki mug as Disneyland fans turn out for Haunted Mansion collectible

Grog Grotto on the other coast has a green glaze version this year which went on sale today as well. They also have a matching pin and Christmas ornament being sold at the store in the hotel.

K

Finally nailing the line/queueing/purchasing system resulted in little to no lines yesterday, coupled with less of a desire to purchase another of the same mug w/a different glaze, despite the face swap. I think the brown glaze turned a lotta people off. Personally I've really cut back what mugs I buy, considering I'm not a big mug guy anyway.

For those who like the ornaments, both Sam's and Grog Grotto's versions can be purchased from http://www.shopdisney.com. Just search "Trader Sam's."

Is it just me or does this version look like it has less detailing than last year's version?

I don't have one of these so I'm only judging by pictures, but it seems like there has been a bit of mold degradation. (Maybe it is just the glaze that makes it appear so.)

[ Edited by: CosmoReverb 2019-10-16 12:05 ]

K

It highly lost detail, for both coasts, but especially Disneyland.

You'd think Disneyland could afford a few more new molds since there profiting once again off this same design again..:lol:

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Oct 29, 2019 11:22 PM

I love Disneyland, the Haunted Mansion, and tiki, but I’m totally indifferent to these mugs. Regardless, here’s an article about their creation, for those interested:

https://d23.com/how-the-halloween-trader-sams-mugs-are-created/

A Mug’s Life: How the Halloween Trader Sam’s Mugs Are Created

October 16, 2019
By Charles Price

Trader Sam’s Halloween Tiki Mugs have grown in popularity every Halloween Season at the Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort since the first “Mahaloween” in 2014. Creating these fun and detailed tiki mugs is a collaborative process. Here, we explore that process with two Cast Members on the Disneyland Creative Design Team, Marcus Gonzalez (Product Development Manager) and Tim Wollweber (Senior Graphic Designer).

Gonzalez and Wollweber both share a love of tiki. Marcus: “Growing up in Anaheim in the ’70s, my initial interest in tiki began with Kono Hawaii (a Hawai‘ian-Japanese tropical themed restaurant in Santa Ana).” Tim: “I’ve always been fond of tiki, enjoying the simplistic, block style.” Their passion for tiki is complemented by their mutual admiration in working together.

Fun Fact: The first Halloween Tiki Mug, the Zombie head with the Green interior glaze, is based off Disney Legend Blaine Gibson’s original sculpt design of the Hatbox Ghost.

When deciding what characters and style to develop for Trader Sam’s Halloween Tiki Mugs in Anaheim and Orlando, the creative design team looks at a common Disney connection both coasts share, such as Haunted Mansion.

Gonzalez: “At the development stage, I encourage the Novelty team, my artists, and WDI (Walt Disney Imagineering) to throw out ideas, taking into account the season it’s slated to release and how it can have a touch of Disney.” Sometimes the process happens organically, such as Gonzalez and Wollweber riffing on ideas during a Mahaloween Tiki Mug signing. Gonzalez then picks a few design concepts and whittles it down with his team to the strongest idea. Once they land on a concept, Gonzalez (or Wollweber) will sketch up a few rough ideas and consult with the team and then send it through the approval process.

The Research process varies for each Halloween Tiki Mug. The team tends to conduct extensive research on a subject, genre, and medium to build a great backstory. Gonzalez: “Even if the Guests don’t fully know the backstory, fleshing it out helps make the product more grounded and interesting.”

Gonzalez draws design inspiration from a multitude of sources, from his Mayan/Yucateco/Mexican culture, his love of movies, comic books, and, of course, with tiki, he draws from his childhood. Gonzalez: “In the ’70s, every restaurant and bar had to have a signature mug. One of my favorite memories is getting a glass boot filled with chocolate milk at the BonaVista Lounge at the top of the Crowne Plaza Hotel. I drank out of that boot every day. And that boot was the impetus to how we develop novelties: a Guest thinks it’s so cool, they can’t wait to take it home.”

Fun Fact: 2015’s Jack-o’-Lantern’s shark style teeth that wrap all the way around the mug are a common element in numerous tiki mugs.

One of the biggest design challenges is figuring out how to get style to mesh with the character. Wollweber: “I always start out referencing tiki images from [Disney Legends] Rolly Crump and Marc Davis to make a design feel correct. When I start pushing styles together, neat things happen.” For the Hitchhiking Ghosts Tiki Mug, the pair tried different approaches: a literal take, a rigged and bent-over version to give the illusion of the ghosts’ leaning, and even a Haunted Mansion Tiki Stein, before landing on the stacked totem pole style.

Tim: “For the Hatbox Ghost design, I kept throwing shapes until he came together. Once I turned the character, I realized nothing was on the back. How do I sculpt this? After doing some research, I came up with the Memento Mori Gravestone from the Mansion on his backside. It was an organic process.”

Gonzalez: “The average time from the idea to finished product on the shelf is between 15 and 18 months. Starting with concept, approvals, 3D sculpt making, glaze reviews and testing, including mold making, bisque production, glazing and finishing, and finally shipping to each Trader Sam’s location.”

The creative process always brings new challenges and discoveries, but the most gratifying discovery they made while designing Tiki Mugs, according to Gonzalez: “That our fans love them!” And thanks to that love and scare, Disney Halloween Tiki Mugs are as popular as ever!

J

Looks like new Christmas mugs are coming as well. Shop Disney accidentally posted what is assumed to be the matching ornament this morning before pulling it down again. I like this sculpt more than the Hatbox Ghost or the Christmas elephants.

https://wdwnt.com/2019/11/photos-jingle-cruise-skipper-trader-sams-holiday-tiki-mug-and-ornament-coming-this-christmas-season/

The “Jungle All the Way” tiki mug will go on sale at 7 a.m. on Wednesday, Dec. 4 at the Disneyland Hotel cocktail bar, according to Disney.

Press Telegram: Expect big lines for Jungle Cruise tiki mug as Disneyland fans turn out for Trader Sam’s collectible

InsideTheMagic.com:NEW Jungle Cruise Tiki Mug coming soon

[ Edited by: King Bushwich the 33rd 2019-12-02 12:15 ]

Pages: 1 2 73 replies