Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

B.G.Reynolds to open Hale Pele in Portland, OR

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

RB

A couple of notes from a "local":

HP opens at 4 pm Fri-Sun, so if you can get there that early you're guaranteed a seat at the bar. I love sitting there because I like/admire watching Mindy & Paddy work their magic...and because I can stare at the giant wall of rum behind them.

If it's fire you want, both the Jet Pilot and the Volcano are served flaming. Ordering a Volcano will get you the full smoke & thunder etc. experience. (The thunder & rainstorm happen at the top of the hour.)

As far as souvenir glassware, you've got 4 choices: the Hale Pele mug in two different colors, a Mai Tai glass and a rocks/Old Fashioned glass. (You can also buy the B.G. Reynolds syrups at the bar, and remember, no sales tax here!) http://shop.halepele.com/collections/all

And lastly, while the drinks are top-notch, the food is also excellent. At Happy Hour you can fill up on deliciousness while saving $$ to be spent on the drinks.

K

I think we all like watching Mindy.

T

Before I head down to Portland, does anybody know where there's a copy of their drinks menu? Their web site is broken.

K
kkocka posted on Wed, Oct 8, 2014 2:20 PM

T

Thanks for the advice! If any TCers are at Hale Pele tomorrow afternoon/evening, I might see you. I suspect I'll be the only person in there wearing a suit jacket.

Hale Pele Drinks

Let me know if you're still unable to peruse the site, there are now 8 unique drinks on the Happy Hour menu as well. And thanks everyone for the kind words!

T

The trip to Hale Pele was quite the success. Barely anybody in there, we arrived at opening Friday. We tried the Passion Fruit Batida, Jet Pilot, 151 Swizzle and Three Dots & a Dash, all wonderful. The tenders assisted my friend in trying some new rums, and the atmosphere was first-rate, too! My friend loves raw tuna, and the tuna poke was just okay, but the rest of the food was tops. (Had better poke the next night at the Driftwood Room, Hotel DeLuxe.) Thanks to all who advised me!

MH

Looking forward to stop here while in PDX this week! Rookie suggestions welcome.

saludos,
Mr. Ho

Mr. Ho, I haven't been there since they introduced the new menu, but the Jungle Bird, 3 Dots and Lapu Lapu are all excellent representations of the classics. You need to visit the Alibi to check out the preserved-in-amber decor, but go to Hale Pele for the drinks and atmosphere!

K

On 2019-03-10 18:23, Mr. Ho wrote:
Looking forward to stop here while in PDX this week! Rookie suggestions welcome.

I've not been there myself, but their Jet Pilot has always looked so satisfying to me. Give it a shot!

Pages: 1 2 57 replies