Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Xtabentun

Pages: 1 9 replies

Not "Tiki" per se, but it looks like it's rum based and it is exotic. A very sweet Mayan liqueur sweetened with honey and flavored with anise. I brought a bottle back from Cancun and am looking for ways to use it, I found some scattered references to it on TC but thought I would consolidate them here.

Mr Noname said he uses it in the Bum's Rush substituting Xtabentun instead of Barenjager. They say the locals use it in coffee (might be good drizzled on mocha ice cream?).

Rev Thumper has admitted to using it but didn't specify how. Gogo donated a bottle to a TC ohana auction along with an Xtabay bowl.

BigTikiDude suggested the "Dirty Sanchez" for South of the Border Tiki Oasis
1 1/2 oz. Mocambo 20 year dark rum
1 1/2 oz. Don Celso 100% Agave Tequila Anejo
1 oz. Lime Juice
1 oz. Lemon Juice
1/2 oz. 100% Agave nectar
1/2 oz. D'Aristi- Xtabentun Honey-Anisette and Rum, Mayan Liqueur
Then rim the glass with the spread similarly to a salted margarita glass
and serve without a straw, hence the "Dirty Sanchez" part.

Any other suggestions?

The Spread being Nutella.
unless somebody knows of something similar, but made in mexico.
As being a "dirty sanchez" I wanted everything to be from mexico.
I found a Caramel and goat milk mix, but it was too soft.
That would be for a "Runny Sanchez"
:o

by the way, if you don't need the special decorated decanter bottle,
you can get the bar bottle version of that for cheap, they had them on sale at High Time last year for $5.99

Jeff(btd)

Thanks Jeff, looks like I didn't copy all of your recipe

On 2012-07-01 20:52, MadDogMike wrote:

Rev Thumper has admitted to using it but didn't specify how.

Well to be honest I usually just drink it as intended: al derecho or straight up. It is an excellent digestif after a meal. I bring a couple bottles back from Mexico every year.

But it does substitute well for Bärenjäger and I think at least one cocktail in Kahuna Kevin's books uses it but don't quote me on that.

I do have this crazy idea of a Navy Grog variation that uses it instead of honey mix but haven't tried it out yet.

GT

Here is a picture of the bowl and the rum based liqueur Mad Dog Mike was referencing, The liqueur taste like black liquorice to me.

Cheers! Gogo

MN

Mike, I've been making it with a muddled slice of fresh jalapeño lately. I call it El Vago's en Fuego.
Can you guess what it is called if the slice of jalapeño is to big? :)

Got Greyhounds? Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2012-07-15 19:05 ]

Erik, too much jalepeno makes "El Culo en Fuego"?

I tried Xtabentun in place of cinnamon syrup in grapefruit juice. Different spice, different sweetener - didn't work at all! :lol:

S

On 2012-07-05 22:12, MadDogMike wrote:

I tried Xtabentun in place of cinnamon syrup in grapefruit juice. Different spice, different sweetener - didn't work at all! :lol:

But did you still drink it?

Well, yeah :D But fortunately I mixed a small glass

It is pretty good on coffee ice cream. There should be a cocktail with it and Kaluha together, like some sort of Mayan Mudslide

Edit - there is a recipe for Mayan Mudslide Brownies with AVOCADO! but no Xtabentun

The natives grieve when the white men leave their huts,
Because they're obviously, absolutely nuts.
Only Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun!

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2012-07-13 17:00 ]

Pages: 1 9 replies