Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Router Carving Day- October 13th 2012 - Vista, CA-UPDATED with Photos

Pages: 1 2 75 replies

Ok... The signups have begun.

There is room for 12 participants.

Those that are paid and registered are below.

1. MaukaHale
  2. Marion
  3. Brad
  4. TikiPops

ROUTER CARVING DAY

Each participant will go home with their own custom wall art or signage.

I will provide the tools or you can bring your own.
I will provide the wood, paint, and stain

You will prepare your line artwork in advance.

I will show you techniques on how to create your own wall mounted 3 dimensional artwork.

Before I can determine pricing and logistics I need to determine what (if any) interest level there might be.

Of course this can also be a generic creative/art day at our place so you are welcome to bring any paintings or carvings you might already be working on.

Please respond with any interest and we can go from there.

Thanks

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2012-10-14 12:14 ]

EJ

This sounds really cool. I really like all the work you did in your home bar. I just might have to travel for this one.

[ Edited by: El Jefe 2012-07-10 20:37 ]

[ Edited by: El Jefe 2012-07-10 20:38 ]

I dont have my work schedule for October yet, but if im not driving the big metal tube, i'm definatley there!
~Brad

Ooh ooh ooh, if only I were closer!

double post

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2012-07-11 23:06 ]

I have been a long time fan of your work in your homebar, especially your trim work. I would love to learn to do trim work for my home bar. I have two routers and a few bits. I can take my horses and wood. How many hours is your workshop and are you willing to teach trim work routing?

I'd love to get in on this. Please keep me posted.

If this is a full day event - start to finish - I would be interested.

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2012-07-11 08:08 ]

Oh yes... it will be a full day.

The intense stuff will be early in the day but the end of the day will be all about waiting for paint and stain to dry...

That would probably be a good time to hang out in the tiki room and have a few beers.

T

I'm definitly interested. Would love to get pointers from you. I also have my own router & a few bits. Looking forward to more info.

On 2012-07-11 08:31, Monkeyman wrote:
Oh yes... it will be a full day.

The intense stuff will be early in the day but the end of the day will be all about waiting for paint and stain to dry...

That would probably be a good time to hang out in the tiki room and have a few beers.

I'm interested.

Do you use a plunge router or a regular router?

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2012-07-11 09:22 ]

You must use a plunge router.

Im working on pricing options right now but there will probably be 2 prices.

A lower price if you bring your own plunge router and a higher price if you need a loaner.

I will purchase 2-4 more routers using proceeds from guests so that there are enough for us to share and pass around.

The best way to use routers is to have several with different bits in them so that you dont spend time loading and unloading bits into the router.

This sounds great and I'd love to attend....

Unfortunately on 10/13 my daughter's school is having a function I should attend. So at this point I'm a maybe but am very interested. I do have mu own a router and bits.

SK

This is my 2nd router design, I did some chisel work as well on this piece.
I love how our South Pacific room turned out by using the router. Its a good tool to have.
Looking forward to expanding what I already know and having good people in our home.

Roxanne

Would be very interested, but I think I'm working that day. Send me ant info you have and I'll see what I can make it.

Preliminary pricing estimates are as follows.

$30 per person if you bring your own router and bits.
$60 per person if you dont have a router.

I will use these proceeds to purchase:

• Additional routers (for those of you that dont have one)
  • Router bits
  • Extension cords
  • Carving tables
  • Paint Brushes
  • Craft Paint
  • Stain
  • Sand Paper & Steel Wool
  • Picture Hangers/Wire\
  • Rope and Shell Embellishments
  • Hot Glue/Glue Guns
  • Filter Masks
  • Lunch
  • Bar supplies

Once you are finished with the router work then the Bar will be open to you as well. A Mai Tai while painting, gluing & staining can be a relaxing experience.

Lunch and a Mai Tai! That is totally worth it....Marion and i are looking forward to it. Thanks Derek!

Monkeyman, could you recommend a good plunge router for someone just starting out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

M

There are many different ways you can go on Routers but I recommend that you purchase a PLUNGE Router for maximum accuracy and flexibility.

Unlike a standard router base, a PLUNGE router has springs in it that allow you to push the router straight down and lift it straight up. This way you can start cuts in the middle of your piece instead of always having to start and finish on an edge.

There are obviously many brands to choose from but I have had great success with the inexpensive Ryobi Brand at Home Depot. They are decent tools for the price and the average hobbyist should find them adequate.

The plunge router I recommend is $99 at Home Depot.
Its got a height lock, depth stop, variable speed dial (important), and the option for two different collet sizes (either 1/4" or 1/2"). The collet size will determine what sized shank router bits you purchase.

Link to Ryobi Plunge Router

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2012-08-06 09:35 ]

M

In addition to an appropriate router you will need a minimum selection of router BITS.

The best bits to have for maximum flexibility are:

• 90 degree V BIT

• ¼” Core Box Bit (A Round Nose Bit will also work)

• 3/8” Core Box Bit

If you want additional Bits to add to your arsenal I would also recommend:
• 60 degree V Bit (often only available at specialty woodworking stores)

• ½” Core Box Bit.

As you purchase your bits pay attention to the shank (router bit shaft) size as it will need to be the same size as the collet (the receiving end in the router). ¼” versus ½”.

You need Clamps to hold your work down.

I have had good luck with the Irwin Brand. These are “One Handed” clamps with soft pads to avoid pressure damage to your work.

Thanks so much for all the info Monkeyman. I think this will be my next purchase!

S

If there's still room, Mary and I would like to be there. Probably a team effort. We'll have a router and the basic bits.

M

Ok.

The ideal class size will be 10 people... 15 max. When folks start getting serious about committing etc then we can have everybody contact me via PM for your official "spot" in the class.

V

Curse this vast Pacific Ocean! I'd love to attend if I could. I just spent the weekend making a new gate for the yard after being inspired by router work I've seen on TC. I gotta get one of those 60 degree v bits!

My humble router gate:

Hope it goes well - please post pics of the class for us folks who can't attend!

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

Great idea having a Router class, love it!

I am a big fan of the "Rigid" brand Routers at Home Depot also, really solid, but cost a bit more.

Page one has been updated with an attendee list.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2012-08-16 11:01 ]

On 2012-07-10 18:21, Monkeyman wrote:

Each participant will go home with their own custom wall art or signage.

I will provide the tools or you can bring your own.
I will provide the wood, paint, and stain

You will prepare your line artwork in advance.

What size piece of wood should I be making a line drawing for?"

My interest is in making trim for the ceiling, doors and maybe a shelf.

As much as I would like to accommodate everyones requests for specific sized pieces we need to stick to a preset size so that I can properly prepare for everyone.

We will be making a sign during this class. The sign can be one of two sizes. 11" x 34" or 11" x 25 1/2".

You decide which size sign you want. To prepare your layout use either 3 or 4 pages of blank paper.

Tape them edge to edge. And start designing. I usually do my sketches on a small scale so that I can easily see symmetry.
When I arrive at a design I like I sketch it full size on the larger pages.

If you want to work on trim and such I am happy to give pointers but you would need to supply your own wood.

This is the proportion with 4 sheets across
11" x 34"

This is the proportion with 3 sheets across.
11" x 25 1/2"

I can help with how to design for the bits you are using in the coming weeks. Ive got a crawl to prepare for right now.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2012-08-25 11:23 ]

How thick are the pieces of wood we will be working with? Thick enough to plunge to different depths in a given piece? Too ambitious?
Mwaahaahaa!!!

It will be 3/4" pine shelving.

You can make multiple depths but I would not get any deeper than 3/8"

Its all about planning your design with your BITS in mind.
As you draw each line on your work you need to think about which bit you will use to make that cut.

When I am working with one router then I will make sure to make ALL the different cuts that require that bit.
Then I move on to the next bit and do all of the cuts that require it.

Otherwise you are constantly switching out bits and that wastes time.

MM

Hey, Monkeyman! Please count me in for Oct 13! I have a router and some bits.

Thanks again for hosting the crawl last weekend. We had a blast!

Moai Mike

Here is my first attempt at a design for your router class. Is this the right idea for what you want to teach?

[ Edited by: MaukaHale 2012-09-20 20:01 ]

Absolutely. Good start

It can be a panel... like what you have designed or a sign that would have some text in it.

As you draw each line think about which router bit you would be using to make that cut. Its important to have that thought out.

[ Edited by: monkeyman 2012-09-21 08:27 ]

On 2012-09-20 21:08, Monkeyman wrote:

As you draw each line think about which router bit you would be using to make that cut. Its important to have that thought out.

I am signed up to use your equipment, what bits will I have available? For the turtle I was thinking of using a bit that makes a straight cut (90 degrees from the surface). I have no experience doing this other than routing an edge to make a picture frame.

Thank you for all your help.

Liking the turtle design! Guess I better get off my butt and get my ideas onto paper.

OK everybody. If anyone else wants to participate please sign up soon. I need time to go purchase more saw horses, router bits, and routers.

Please send me a PM if you are interested.

Should be fun.

M

OK Fellow Router Artisans....

Im going to shut off sign ups on FRIDAY OCT 5th so that I can spend this weekend purchasing the correct number of routers, bits and tables for our event. Unfortunately this takes some prep so I cannot accomodate last minute signups (unless you bring all of your own stuff)

If you have any interest and can commit to the date then please let me know asap.

Should be fun and significantly cooler weather than the crawl.

We will be going to the Untouchables show that night so our day will wrap up no later than 5pm.

You can arrive as early as 9:30am if you like. Routers start buzzing at 10am.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2012-10-02 09:44 ]

M

The student list keeps getting shorter which means more access to tools for you and an intimate setting to really share and learn from the others. Hoping to see some of the other San Diego carvers and artisans if you have time to hang out.

Its going to be a good time.

If anyone wants to go direct to Dons from our place just bring a change of clothes. We will be going as well. You can clean up before you go. Maybe even a carpool if it works for you.

We are 71 Miles from Dons.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2012-10-04 09:17 ]

M

Im shopping for routers and saw horses today...

M

Monkeyman,

I'm looking forward to it and I have my ticket for Don's. See you on the 13th.

M

Making custom router tables for everyone in the class.

Should make the day go easier.

T

What a great idea wish I could be there.
MM have you seen this router?
Would you say that having more power would help
or be needed for doing this project or no?
What about the bit shaft size, ie do you need to be
able to use 1/2 inch shaft bits or no.
Going to get one of these routers just don't know which one.
http://festools-online.com/festool-tools-1/festool-routers-accessories-1/festool-routers-1/574342-festool-of-1400-eq-t-loc-plunge-router.html

M

Holy Crap.

Thats a really nice router. Festool makes killer stuff.

I have found that extra power is not needed because I dont operate the router at full speed anyways.

Who doesnt like nice tools but I dont think its necessary.

1/4" or 1/2" shanks are fine. It doesnt matter.

T

Don't go and look at one as it will
be hard not to buy.
The chip removal and the smooth way this tool
works is what hooked me.
Price not so much.

See you all in the morning.

We are ready.

Were doing up an Octoberfest lunch with Brats, Kraut, Potatoes and Octoberfest Beer.

S

Glad you are doing this. Looks like a fun day.

I would recommend getting a router with a 1/2 shaft as you can still use it for 1/4 inch bits too. The stuff I did I ended up using a large round bit that only came in 1/2 shaft.

The routers I use all have a 1/2" collect with an insert to use 1/4" as well.

Pages: 1 2 75 replies