Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Pre-WWII Hawaiiana - Music

Pages: 1 6 replies

I've known for some time that America's love of Hawaiiana started before WWII, even if most of what we know as "tiki" is mostly post war. I was recently going thru a box of old Edison 78's that I inherited from my father, who inherited them from his mother. Among the dusty old 10" records were 7 discs with "Hawaiian" themed songs. Four discs contained tracks by the Waikiki Hawaiian Orchestra. Additionally there was a track by a "Hawaiian guitar duo" and one titled "Say it with a Ukulele", by Bailey & Bent. Does anyone else on the board have any pre-war Hawaiian themed music?

K

I have quite a bit, although I don't collect 78 rpms. So, most of my "pre-war" Hawaiian music is on either CD or vynil LP collections of such music. Actually, Hawaiian music was quite popular on the continent in the early 1900s & Hawaiian sheet music sold very well. In addition to the more traditional songs (which were often "jazzed up" chants), tin pan alley churned out tons & tons of what today is called Hapa-Haole (or half-white) songs mimicking the language..songs like "Yaaka Hula Hickey Dula","My Little Grass Shack", etc, some of which are still broadly accepted & performed by Hawaiian musicians.

Paradise is a state of mind.

[ Edited by: Kaiwaza 2012-07-20 14:11 ]

Indeed. The popularity of "Hawaiian" music was actually THE first manifestation of Polynesian Pop (NOT Tiki Pop) on the mainland, beginning in the late 1800s/early 1900s....

...and culminating in the Hawaiian music craze of the 1920s and 30s, which even reached Europe.

http://www.gansz.org/David/Guitars/Hawaiian/Hawaiian6.htm

Here is a few pictures of Hawaiian 78s and MP3 recordings. I recommend that you NOT click on the one on the bottom right, Pua Sadinia by EK Rose - my ears are still bleeding :lol:

On 2012-07-20 16:43, bigbrotiki wrote:
Indeed. The popularity of "Hawaiian" music was actually THE first manifestation of Polynesian Pop (NOT Tiki Pop) on the mainland, beginning in the late 1800s/early 1900s....

http://www.gansz.org/David/Guitars/Hawaiian/Hawaiian6.htm

Thanks for the link bigbro! I'm going to spend some serious time looking over those great pages. The "Hawaiian guitar duo" record in my lot is Frank Ferera (with Helen Louise) whose name I saw mentioned in your link. If anyone else has links to Hawaiian music from this era I'd appreciate the opportunity to become more knowledgeable on the topic.

On 2012-07-20 18:57, MadDogMike wrote:
Here is a few pictures of Hawaiian 78s and MP3 recordings. I recommend that you NOT click on the one on the bottom right, Pua Sadinia by EK Rose - my ears are still bleeding :lol:

Thanks for this link too! There's half an hour's worth of vintage Hawaiiana right there! Definitely worth the time spent listening. I don't normally collect 78's, but it might make a fun little diversion in my music collecting obsession.

I have some 10" 78s from '37-'39. Harry Owens, Ray Kinney, Paradise Island Trio and Dick McIntire to name a few.
ETR

Pages: 1 6 replies