Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tiki Party invites

Pages: 1 12 replies

Hey all... I've been a fan of all things Tiki for a while, but I'm sorta new to this here forum, so I thought I'd say hi and share an invitation design for a Tiki party I'm having... I carved homemade stamps and made each card individually (assembly-line style, so not too time consuming).

The first photo shows my stamps, along with the supplies I needed to make 'em (minus the stamp ink, which is available at all fine stationery stores).

Hope you folks enjoy it! -Rich

[ Edited by: Sir Richard 2012-07-21 07:47 ]

Kool
Enjoy

Welcome to Tiki Central. Great idea, they turned out nice.

BT

Nice work and welcome!

T

Awesome! The cards look great! I like the way you used a sold stamp behind the tiki... your design includes things I like... that's my favorite tapa design, my favorite Hawaiian tiki (Ku), and my favorite sort of invitation to receive... to a tiki party!

Did you use a lino block, or is that wood?

Welcome to TC, hope to see more of your work soon!

T

Awesome! The cards look great! I like the way you used a sold stamp behind the tiki... your design includes things I like... that's my favorite tapa design, my favorite Hawaiian tiki (Ku), and my favorite sort of invitation to receive... to a tiki party!

Did you use a lino block, or is that wood?

Welcome to TC, hope to see more of your work soon!

Great Job Sir!

Your post brought back a lot of memories for me. I used to do that in Jr. high and high school. Your invite looks terrific. Too bad you are so far away or we'd all come to your party and crash it! Wendy

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks!

@Tobunga, thanks for the compliments! Ku is my fave as well. As far as the materials, I used a product from Speedball called "Speedy-carve". It's a bit like eraser rubber, but really easy to carve. They say it's not so hot for more detailed carvings, but these are Tiki designs, and a little "roughness" is a good thing, in my opinion! :)

I'd highly recommend Speedy-carve to anyone who wants to experiment with stamping or who needs to make multiples of something (Falernum and orgeat labels, anyone?)...

@Wendy -- that's exactly when I last did this sort of carving! It was thinking of the linoleum cuts that I did in High School that made me want to use the process for invites! And it was fun too... I kept going and made a bunch of stamps for my son and daughter... they're happy I'm obsessive :)

Very cool! Turned out very well. Did you carve the font lettering from scratch, or did you find it somewhere like that? I dig the 50's/60's vibe your finished piece has. :)

Hey Tigertail! Glad you dig it! I appreciate your saying it looks 50s/60's-ish, 'cause that's my fave period for design.

Yeah, I carved the lettering from scratch (I've done lots of gig posters and some album covers using that lettering style, so I'm pretty comfortable with it), although I've never tried it backwards like this time! Once I find the right spot on the forums here, maybe I'll upload some pics :)

Here's a neat pic of a bunch of the invites all laid out on my table, so you can see the variations (which is fun, I think)...

Cool invites. Thanks for the idea!

Great looking invites Sir! I too did some carving on linoleum blocks in HS. I haven't carved since but probably 10 years ago got into premade stamps for a while. Brings back memories!

Thanks for sharing -

Pages: 1 12 replies