Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

San Diego carving/art jam-:Will it stop raining on the right day in January?-pg 11

Pages: 1 2 3 4 162 replies

January carving Jam? Details on page 11

December carving Jam:

Saturday the 8th at the House of Buzz

October Carving Jam Update:

October 20

at

House of Buzz, West Bay Park, San Diego, CA

10am until all are gone...

Info on this event starts on page 5 of this thread

September Carving Jam Update:

(photos on page 4 of this thread)
A few of us were talking about this, so now that I'm back in SD, let's try it again...

Practicing and aspiring tiki artists are all welcome for this free art/carving jam free for all!

Same tiki art jam free for all format as the old chops. I'll kick it off at my house in lovely Bay Park for the first two months, just to get it going. Then we'll see if there's enough interest in continuing it here or elsewhere after that.
More details to follow as we get closer...

Mark your calendars and sharpen your tools.

We will have the first one in September on Saturday the 29th. Chime in on this thread if you want to go, or if you're bummed out because you cannot.

Next one, because of other events and Halloween, will be on
Saturday October 20. Chime in here about that one as well

Both at the House of Buzz, West Bay Park, San Diego, CA

Buzzy Out!

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2012-10-16 10:08 ]

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2012-10-29 15:25 ]

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2012-11-20 19:55 ]

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2012-11-29 20:18 ]

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2013-01-08 10:23 ]

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2013-01-08 10:24 ]

[ Edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2013-01-08 10:25 ]

BUZZZZZYY!!!!!! I can't tell you how much I have missed the Chops!!!!!!

I can't make it the 22nd but I don't think I have anything going on the 29th

I would offer my place but I don't think anyone wants to drive the 2+ hours out to the desert

Im not centrally located to SD but I am happy to host chops as well.

ill be back in oakland by then, but i may be in town for the october one!

I'd love to come out and just watch, no artistic bones in my body, but Saturdays I usually have to work.

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Aug 22, 2012 2:14 PM

Gee, Buzz, you sure got a lot of people coming over!

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Aug 22, 2012 2:16 PM

I can probably come, but I've got to strip a giant palm stump first.

I wouldn't mind getting in on one of these get togethers! I wasn't fully hooked on carving when the chop chops were happening a couple years ago but they looked like a great time. I'm a ways away up here in Menifee so it will take some planning (and driving) to get there. I'll be watching to see if this comes together and try to attend one or two... Thanks!

B

I'm IN!

Time: whenever

I'll bring :down:

H

Hmmm, I would have to cancel classes, clients and take the train. But those donuts look so good I am going to try. Buzzy sent you a PM.

B

Either one of those dates works for me.
I would like to come!

Babalu, Hilda, and B'wana - that's a great start!

I have brought frozen dessert concoctions to the past several Chops, I wouldn't want to break that streak. I'm thinking Cinnamon Grapefruit Sorbet :) It's very tasty!

Damn ! I work Saturdays

Lemme know if their are any Sundays available.

I have a ton of wood right now too

On 2012-08-22 07:26, MadDogMike wrote:
BUZZZZZYY!!!!!! I can't tell you how much I have missed the Chops!!!!!!

I can't make it the 22nd but I don't think I have anything going on the 29th

I would offer my place but I don't think anyone wants to drive the 2+ hours out to the desert

22nd is the anniversary of Kate's passing, so I thought it would be cool to some of us to restart this on that day...However, seems like 29th would work better, so...

September 29th it is! Mark it.

On 2012-08-22 08:09, Monkeyman wrote:
Im not centrally located to SD but I am happy to host chops as well.

I just trademarked the name and concept, so you'll have to pay me a $5000 franchise fee first.

On 2012-08-22 14:14, Cammo wrote:
Gee, Buzz, you sure got a lot of people coming over!

Yes, but I still have plenty of room. And, you all will have to bring your own chairs. I don't have any.

On 2012-08-22 15:44, Captain Jack wrote:
I'll be watching to see if this comes together and try to attend one or two... Thanks!

Two upcoming Jams now officially on the books. Come on down.

On 2012-08-22 19:29, hiltiki wrote:
Hmmm, I would have to cancel classes, clients and take the train. But those donuts look so good I am going to try. Buzzy sent you a PM.

Just call in sick. We'll come get you at Old Town...Seems like a lot of you work on Saturday :(

On 2012-08-22 19:36, Bowana wrote:
Either one of those dates works for me.
I would like to come!

See you on the 29th, then.

On 2012-08-22 20:11, MadDogMike wrote:
MadDog Mike, Buzzy, Zaya, Babalu, Hilda, and B'wana - that's a great start!

I have brought frozen dessert concoctions to the past several Chops, I wouldn't want to break that streak. I'm thinking Cinnamon Grapefruit Sorbet :) It's very tasty!

I'm in the market for a new home deep fat fryer, so I'll be frying everything I can think of throughout the day.

Tiki eye candy:

See it live at the House of Buzz!

If you're in Oakland oe elsewhere, take a road trip. If you work, call in sick. Do whatever it takes and just show up...

Buzzy Out!

C

Maybe I can bring some...

B

On 2012-08-23 17:01, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

If you're in Oakland or elsewhere, take a road trip. If you work, call in sick. Do whatever it takes and just show up...

And if you're in jail, break out! If you're dead, resurrect yourself!

i actually might be in la around that time buzz........chisels are hard to get on a plane these days without being strip searched and probed.........beer and a chair i could swing.....you dont care if a drunk comes by and visit do ya?

Hey Buzzy see your drum? It made it into the jungle room. We showed it to Swizzle when he visited. It's a wonderful addition a dream come true. I'm going to your carving thread to add photos of him in the Buzzy Bedroom! Wendy

On 2012-08-29 13:14, Creative Chimp wrote:
beer and a chair i could swing.....you dont care if a drunk comes by and visit do ya?

Those are actually the "tools of choice" for most of us at these gatherings. Swing on by. Depending on time of day and traffic, from LA you're either 2 hours or 5.5 hours away. You might win an award for farthest travelled, if you do show up.

I can also scrape up a log piece for anyone who has zero resources, but would like to make an attempt at carving a tiki.

Sounds like we got some good food coming. I'm still shopping for the perfect deep fat fryer...

Buzzy Out!

damn buzz...i didnt think it was that far away......im flying out on my bosses dime....gotta do a presentation....maybe i can convince them i need to do some market research down in SD. pick up a sample of something......wink and a nudge.....

glad to be seeing some post up dates from ya too...keep em coming. (thats what she said:)

[ Edited by: Creative Chimp 2012-09-04 14:15 ]

Hey Buzz, Can me and CeCe come down and be lookie loo's? I can also double as a gopher if needed. we'll bring a Key lime Cake if you let us in.
Cheers,
David

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-09-04 18:10 ]

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Sep 4, 2012 8:04 PM

Lots to choose from.

This is an ultra-space age sleek see-thru glass bowl fryer, you can watch your food cook until it reaches that perfect golden brown, then a single button ejects the cage and auto-drains the dinner. Looks like something Babalu designed and is producing 43,000,000 of.

This one is a combo deep fat - grill!!!! Whoa! It's so cool it's almost TIKI!!!! I think the grill has a drain on the left, just a flat grill on the right, and the fryer has a temp gauge built in. Totally worthy of the House Of Buzz.

Or you can go professional, but be careful! Even Chinaman slip slip go in fryer head first like duck after fish!

M

Looks like a good time.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2012-09-04 20:34 ]

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2012 7:02 AM

Just found a seller of Maui Brewing Company products, I think the Mission Valley BevMo carries a few but I found a place that carries the full line. Problem is this stuff is pricey, you can't buy singles, but the good thing is that it sure looks FINE.

The best ones are the Coconut Porter and the Wheat - brewed with pineapple juice!!!!!

This is for AFTER carving, drinkin' and choppin' don't mix.

On 2012-09-04 15:10, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Hey Buzz, Can me and CeCe come down and be lookie loo's? I can also double as a gopher if needed. we'll bring a Key lime Cake if you let us in.
Cheers,
David

You guys are more than welcome! For lookie loos, there's a lot to see here, like:

Tikis:

and even more Tikis:

So far as fryers, that one Cammo posted looks a little "light duty" for my frying needs...

I'm thinking that this sleek fryer looks pretty cool:

Oster 3L Cool Touch Deep Fryer

Buzzy Out!

Buzz, you need one of these

I have one or two (I am a redneck!) but they would be hard to transport up there.

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 5, 2012 6:56 PM

Buzz, if you're serious I have a donut recipe. Homemade donuts are AY-KILLA-MAZING.

H

OMG donuts are my favorite...

TT

Hey Buzzy! I can't make it to the Sept.jam, but I can make it to the Oct.date.I should be out of this condo and in a house by January, so I would be down for hosting a jam here in the Inland Empire!

So I settled on this fryer:

and celebrated last Fryday by breaking it in with an assortment of fine fried products:

That grill with the fryer in the middle looks pretty cool, but I needed somethjing more suited for daily use...
I never tried my own donuts. We'll definitley have to do that!

In other House of Buzz news that doesn't relate to food, I just about finshed making my garage dream ultra woodshop:

It's got a router station, 3x8 main work table, chop saw, extra wheeled table, and plenty of storage. I cleaned out the rest of the garage and now have a 20x8 work area in there.

I also upgraded the sound and lighting for my outside work area:

The only thing I still don't have is chairs. Bring your own!
Buzzy Out!

On 2012-08-23 17:01, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

If you're in Oakland or elsewhere, take a road trip. If you work, call in sick. Do whatever it takes and just show up...

Since I think I am the only person in Oakland this had to be aimed at me :)

Give me a little more advanced notice and I would be all about roadtripping down...to eat your food of course. I don't art jam!

Looking forward to seeing the fried food pics. Oh and also the art :)

[ Edited by: SandraDee 2012-09-10 12:29 ]

That's a nice pile of fryables, but I'm talking about;

Oreo cookies

Pickles

Butter

Snickers

Mac & Cheese

Artichoke Hearts

Cheesecake

Twinkies

:D

Holy....the place looks terrific Buzzy! Like yourself, the shop cleans up well.
MDM - choice fried products!

On 2012-09-05 07:02, Cammo wrote:
Just found a seller of Maui Brewing Company products, I think the Mission Valley BevMo carries a few but I found a place that carries the full line. Problem is this stuff is pricey, you can't buy singles, but the good thing is that it sure looks FINE.

The best ones are the Coconut Porter and the Wheat - brewed with pineapple juice!!!!!

This is for AFTER carving, drinkin' and choppin' don't mix.

EXCELLENT taste, Cammo. The Wheat is so flippin good w/that hint of pineapple and if you throw that Bikini Blonde in the freezer for an hour then pour, it's a choice light beer. Wish I could be there - you artsites have fun!

bump

M
mieko posted on Sat, Sep 22, 2012 8:31 PM

Oreos are yummy deep fried. Sorry I missed this earlier, I just dropped off a deep fat fryer at goodwill this morning.

I think I'm busy most of the 29th, but I'll try to come by if I'm done early enough.

Glad you are putting this on!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Sep 23, 2012 5:12 PM

That's a nice pile of fryables, but I'm talking about;

Mystery Roadkill

Tentacles

Wood Filler (Specialty de la Maison)

Carne Asada Served at 3200 degrees:

McDonald's Leftovers

Cow Hearts (Dogs love 'em)

Fried Sugar

and of course....

wait for it...

"Buzznuts"

... don't ask.

:D

I don't know about no BuzzNutts but I bought fixins for deep fried cheesecake today!

I've got lots of food ideas but so far no art project to work on! :lol:

H

I don't know much about deep frying, but all of these pictures are looking good to me, I'm hungry.
Well it looks like I can go to the SD Carving jam, yeah. I will bring some rice cakes and carrots and a bottle of Jack Daniels... just kidding. I'm not sure what I will be bringing but it will be something tasty. Looking forward to seeing everyone, it has been a long time.

This Saturday!

We'll make the official hours from whenever someone arrives until everyone is gone. Hopefully well' have a good sunset

There's been a weird fog bank out there the last few days. pacific beach disappeared:

On 2012-09-23 18:33, MadDogMike wrote:
I've got lots of food ideas but so far no art project to work on! :lol:

Sounds like you're ready! We also have a bbq and a smoker over here as well.

I have one 10' popup,so we may need one more. Let me know here if you have one you can bring.

Buzzy Out!

I've got a pop-up I can bring, I should be there about 10am. Buzz, I hope you have some freezer space for a little ice cream maker?

Amtrak station is a couple miles down the road from here. If you want to take the train from up north, let me know and we can pick you up at the Old Town station. We went to LA a week or so in the afternoon and southbound traffic was screwed almost all the way down. Isn't carmegeddon II that day as well?

for orientation purposes, my house is about two miles north of where Tiki Oasis hotel is, right off I-5. let me know if you need the address.

On 2012-09-25 06:00, MadDogMike wrote:
I hope you have some freezer space for a little ice cream maker?

Maddog: Plenty. I have a 2' x 2' x 2' waist high freezer.

Not much excitiing on the bay this weekend. We should have had this a couple weeks ago when the Thunderboats were here:

Lots of spray. Those things are crazy fast!

This is a "tiki event," and because of that, I'm sorry I don't have someone like the Sulking Menehunes playing here for us this weekend, but I do have other entertainment options lined up:

If you're tired of tiki and tiki talk while you're here, TikiCousinChris will be monitoring the sports station all day/night/weekend/season for all your college football and sports betting needs:

Right there he's multi tasking: He's napping, watching three sports, AND growing his neck beard!

I also have a real loud stereo out there now that only sounds crappy when you play an exotica CD. Everything else sounds good, so we'll stick to those other genres.

Buzzy Out!

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Sep 26, 2012 4:13 PM

Hi Buzzy -

I want to come but there's a slim chance that I won't be able to.

I don't want anybody to think that this makes me less cool than anybody who actually DOES come to your carving event, though, so I'm just alerting you that I really want to come and recognize how cool your event is and that I am actually attending even though I won't actually be there in person.

Just for the record, here is my reason for not coming, just to show you that it's totally a real reason and I'm not just a fuddledork who can't organize my life even though you've given like a month of warning about the date:

My wife won't let me go.

Thanks, it's going to be a great party!

Cammo

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Sep 27, 2012 6:14 AM

I'll be coming. The prior announcement was wrong.

Anybody else who is not coming is obviously welcome, though.

TikiCousinChris looks more like a real Tiki guy than you do, Buzzy. Just give him a pendant and he's IN!

Before I get there could you please throw a blanket over that? Or maybe a wheelbarrow full of wood chips?

C
cy posted on Thu, Sep 27, 2012 11:49 AM

This sure sounds like a great time Buzz, hope you continue and who knows I may take a roadie to meet and carve with you all.

H

I hope Cammo is bringing some of his great CD's.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 162 replies