Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

San Diego carving/art jam-:Will it stop raining on the right day in January?-pg 11

Pages: 1 2 3 4 162 replies

On 2012-10-07 08:53, Sophista-tiki wrote:
whats an artist have to do to not get on the list to not come?

To follow the logic: you do not want to be on the list of those not coming
so Sophista-tiki that means you want to come, right.

Hey I saw that episode of Star Trek where Kirk used non sequiturs and logic loops
to defeat the robot race that was going to take over the Enterprise......Mudd!

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Oct 7, 2012 9:36 PM

"what's an artist have to do to not get on the list to not come? "

I don't know, what?

I'll just pretend Im not coming

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Oct 8, 2012 10:07 AM

**UPDATE - The Not Coming List: **

Atomic Tiki Punk (requested to not come)
Mieko +1 (no stated reason)
SandraDee (8 hours away)
Hale Tiki (lives in Pittsburgh)
Tiki Bong (not allowed to leave his home)
Billy the Crud (whereabouts unknown)
Closettiki (too far)
Christiki295 (doesn't know event is happening)
JOHN-O (not answering his cel phone)
GROG (restraining order in effect)
BigBroTiki (event is not "Tiki" enough, like we care)
Otto +3 (busy planning better events)
Martini Kings +1 (easier and cheaper to just play one of their CDs)
Hanford Lamoore (no reply)
TravelingJones (not traveling here)
Adrien "Bottomless Pit of Musubi" Antonucci (sleepy)
VampiressRN (wants pendant so can't come)
TikiKate (knowing her, she just may come)
Charles Phoenix (busy busy busy)
The Untouchables + 5 (not touching a chisel)
Monkeyman (otherwise occupied)
El Jefe (too far to walk from Texas)
Sophista-tiki (house sitting)

Thanks for the messages that added family and friends to the NOT COMING list.

We're up to 32 non-attendees, (!!!) we only have space for 3 more, please PM Cammo quick if you're planning to not attend!

Later we'll announce the lineup of Tiki Music Groups who will be playing, this is going to be a major event!

Love the sunset pictures of Babalu's "Mood Swing". Keep 'em coming and pray for no rain

Just work on any tiki art related project that day at any other location but here, and then post your work from that day on this thread. Post a comment about how you didn't show up, but you still made art all day.

Buzzy Out!

On 2012-10-09 11:48, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:

Just work on any tiki art related project that day at any other location but here, and then post your work from that day on this thread. Post a comment about how you didn't show up, but you still made art all day.

Buzzy Out!

That seems like A LOT of work!!!

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Oct 9, 2012 1:07 PM

**UPDATE - The Not Coming List: **

Atomic Tiki Punk (requested to not come)
Mieko +1 (no stated reason)
SandraDee (8 hours away)
Hale Tiki (lives in Pittsburgh)
Closettiki (too far)
Christiki295 (doesn't know event is happening)
JOHN-O (not answering his cel phone)
Hanford Lamoore (no reply)
TravelingJones (not traveling here)
VampiressRN (wants pendant so can't come)
Charles Phoenix (busy busy busy)
Monkeyman (otherwise occupied)
RevBambooBen (too much work)

Cool, I'v got a couple of big projects to get started on, I can remote art jam.

I'M DJing a party,
so Can I not come?

thanks
sorry.

Jeff(btd)

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Oct 9, 2012 4:47 PM

** The NOT COMING LIST**

Atomic Tiki Punk (personally requested to not come)
Mieko +1 (still no stated reason)
SandraDee (8 hours away, but the way she drives it's more like 6)
Hale Tiki (lives in Pittsburgh, which they tell me ain't in California)
Closettiki (too far)
Christiki295 (doesn't know event is happening even now)
JOHN-O (still not answering his cel phone)
Hanford Lamoore (still no reply)
TravelingJones (definitely not traveling here)
VampiressRN (wants pendant so she can't come)
Charles Phoenix (still busy busy busy)
Monkeyman (otherwise occupied, or so we have been told)
RevBambooBen (too much work. getting here. getting here is too much work.)
bigtikidude aka Jeff (DJing, surprise surprise)

That's IT! Sorry, we're sold out; we've reached 35 no-shows.

If you are NOT showing up between now and October 20th, sorry but we can't help you!

I'm frantically trying to keep up with the No Show pendants. Here are few more in light colors and facing the other way:

How's that for variety?

I just got word that one of the No shows may actually show, so I'm opening a stand by No Show list in case anyone missed the original No Show List, or got on the original No Show list but may show up anyway.

A Little History...

It just so happens that this month is the 6th anniversary of the Original Left Coast Benzart Carving Seminar with Bosko and Tiki Diablo at Matt Reese's Lava Flow Inn. Six years ago we kicked all this off here:

Left Coast Benzart Carving Seminar.

We all had so much fun we started doing it monthly. It all peaked with our historic Carving Village at Tiki Oasis in 2007. I cannot remember why, but we even had our event thread locked for this one:
Exhaustion after the Big Chop at Oasis VII

Well, a few years and a few dozen events later and here we are, a bunch of good friends sitting around in my backyard making art and good times again. It's great to do this again.

Speaking of good times:

For this event, I think I'll switch from my deli themed food idea to my newest inspiration: Chili Chop!

Inspired by Maddogs deepfried cheesecake, I'm going to try and develop my own take on the classic Weinerschnitzel Chili Cheese Weinerito. Adding a little south of the border influence, they will be done Chimchunga deep fried style. I'll also be making several plates of chili cheese fries, as well as the usual fried fares.

It also seems we have a few more people coming to this one than the last. Pile On!
Buzzy Out!

I'm still waiting to not show up Cammo. Wendy

Deep fried chili cheese dogs? I'll be all over that like a hobo on a ham sandwich!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Oct 11, 2012 2:52 PM

"I just got word that one of the No shows may actually show"

WTF?!?!?! What do I do with the No-Show list now?????

Otherwise, I've been re-thinking my usual approach to carving. I've been a big believer in carving everything entirely by hand with no power tools used whatsoever, except to chop down the palm tree in the first place.

After all, if African guys can do this with no power tools:

Why should I use power? I like the feel of getting your whole body into making a piece of art, and the slow satisfaction of seeing something emerge that's exactly what you visualized, chip by dang chip. I like doing it the exact same way carvers have been doing it for tens of thousands of years. It's mesmerizing, it's relaxing, it's fun.

But I think I'm gonna go commercial and just knock out crap as quick as possible and then ship it over to Bali and get some underpaid, underfed natives there to make cheap copies and sell 'em to Wal-Mart. Nobody seems to care anyway!

Mind if I bring one of these, Buzzy?
It's the new German Nakett 6000, comes with 42 carving heads and cost me only $359.95!!!

Buzzy,
I's there a chance that the No Show pendants wont be showing up in the mailboxes of the group that didn't show up ?If so i wont be showing up at the mailbox either to pick up my No Show pendant...

Since it seems there have been a bunch of problems at Tiki Events recently, we've decided that we now need a bunch of own Tiki Event rules to make sure our carving jam event doesn't get ruined.

Rule #1: No chickens or other barnyard fowl.
Rule #2: No vending. And, you cannot "decorate" your carving area with your stuff if it has price tags on it.
Rule #3: If your medium is painting pinstripes on Tiki Farm mugs, don't even bother...
Rule #4: If we didn't ask you, then no, your shitty band can't play. If you are a good band, people will call you to play. You think Lady Gaga or Bono ever has a free night?
Rule #5: Cornering people with your bullshit is not allowed(The Boris Rule)
Rule #6: All event Dj's must play songs from CD's, records, cassettes, 8 track or reel to reel only. No Ipad or computer/digital playlists are allowed.
Rule #7: No lineups for room crawl parties are allowed prior to the stated room party time. People in any line will be considered loiterers and will be kicked off the premises and banned from all future events.
Rule #8: You must keep moving at all times. You cannot stop walking at any time.(We're borrowing this rule from ComicCon)

More newer rules to follow soon...
Buzzy Out!

C
Cammo posted on Tue, Oct 16, 2012 1:11 PM

"Rule #2: No vending. And, you cannot "decorate" your carving area with your stuff if it has price tags on it."

Can we vend on the sidewalk out front or is there a 100 foot perimeter law in place?

and -

WTF with all these RULES????? We used to be able to rub Jimson Weed all over ourselves, swing from the trees naked and scream out bad punk rock lyrics at your carving jams!!!!

What is this, the House Of Buzz Retirement Community??!?!?!?

On 2012-10-16 13:11, Cammo wrote:
WTF with all these RULES?????

The bar has been raised. It's part of the new formula. People who now attend Tiki Events will come with the expectations that there will be a whole host of new rules applied and practiced by all. Besides, all these rules arise out of a need. Like these new ones added to our official rules list:

Rule #9
No Stage Dives into the pool, unless you have an "All Access" or "Backstage" pass.

Rule #10
Bands are limited to a 10 minute soundcheck, a 30 minute load in and setup period, and a 20 minute teardown and stage unloading time limit.

Rule #11
If you're not "officially" in the band that is playing at the event as a permanent member, then you cannot join them on stage while they are playing, for any reason whatsoever...

Rule #12
During a confrontation, please refrain from hurling mugs of a greater value than $10.

These rules will ensure that we all have fun and that the overall event will be successful.

More rules soon!
Buzzy Out!

So Cammo, will you be bringing the Jimson Weed Brownies?

C

"So Cammo, will you be bringing the Jimson Weed Brownies?"

F'n RIGHT!!!!
And while Buzzy is at it,

Rule #13
If you can't play an instrument, sing, or tell jokes, don't come up on stage and bang two coconuts together and dance around, thus stealing our attention away from the people on stage who ARE playing instruments, singing, and telling jokes!

Rule #14
Disregard Rule #13 if you are a naked girl.

Rule #15
No spitting.

Rule #16
Dogs are allowed.

Rule #17
Do not pet the big Doberman. He is very stinky and dirty.

Got the moon and sunset in this one:

Buzzy Out!

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Oct 18, 2012 2:55 PM

Guys I'm not going to be able to make it Saturday, I can't get off call :(

I always have a good time and hate to miss a Chop. Hopefully someone will host another one soon. Stay calm and carry on.

Mike

I think he's out of no show Pendants .

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Oct 18, 2012 4:01 PM

I can't make it but I will be there in spirit. I will carve a tiki in Las Vegas and post pics via simulchop.

Buzzy, how many dogs do you have?? Pokey, stinky doberman and I saw one that looks like a labradoodle.

Would like to get involved with making Tiki's. Possible to attend tomorrows bash?

On 2012-10-19 10:46, aumiland wrote:
Possible to attend tomorrows bash?

Yep. I just sent you the address. check your PMs.

any more fresh meat out there need directions?

Buzzy Out!

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Oct 19, 2012 6:14 PM

I really should be going to see the Sweet Hollywaiians, but instead I'll just limp over to Buzzy's in the morning.

My new equipment, just bought this week:

The Wecheer Ball Bearing Roto-250!

The Arbortech Kreinschaft-Mini 6500:

Got a set of these for only 129.95:

Extras:

and:

The DUST CATCHER!!!! This auto-vacuums up all chips, sanding dust, wood shavings, etc, and even Buzzy ain't got one of these!!!

But here's the REAL DEAL!!! The intelliCarve Oliver!!! This thing is a programmable 3-space router that takes all your work away from you and produces carving after carving of perfectly detailed router-art!!!! You can actually sit in the next room having a drink and watch the World Series while this robot is doing all the hard work next door! No more shipping your native carvings to Bali, this thing will do them FOR FREE!!!!! Then you can sell them for CASHOLA!!!!!

Where have you been all my life, intelliCarve?!?!?!

Get this - you don't even have to do art to carve with Oliver, just feed it some xeroxed photos from an old Samoan Art book, and let'im go!!!!

With the Intellicarve and a 3d printer you could become a tiki factory. The 3d printer can make mugs, idols, shrunken heads and pendants.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Oct 19, 2012 8:42 PM

"With the Intellicarve and a 3d printer you could become a tiki factory. The 3d printer can make mugs, idols, shrunken heads and pendants. "

Just bought it! Only $2399.00 + tax + shipping! Should be here by tomorrow!!!!!

I'll never carve again!!!!!

I left this tiki half carved all week so I'd have something to do tomorrow:

On 2012-10-18 16:47, Trailerpark Tiki wrote:
Buzzy, how many dogs do you have?? Pokey, stinky doberman and I saw one that looks like a labradoodle.

Poki's mine; Stinky Dobie is my TikiCousin Chris', and they live here. The Labra-Cocker-poodle-doo is Zaya's, and he was just visiting for his birthday party that day.

Speaking of Dogs, I'm doing the test run on the deep fried chili cheese dog chimichungas right now.

Wish me luck...
Buzzy Out!

B

I was thinking about not showing up so I could be eligible for a Buzzy pendant, but then I thought if I do go that maybe Buzzy will give me one anyway for thinking about not going.

See ya soon!

Bowie

Poki's mine; Stinky Dobie is my TikiCousin Chris', and they live here. The Labra-Cocker-poodle-doo is Zaya's, and he was just visiting for his birthday party that day.

I told Carly dogs were allowed and she's quite upset she can't go to the House of Buzz to see Poki. I told her we might see Poki at Mojave Oasis next time. So she is placated for now. Have a good chop!

B

Sorry boys - I have to avert a shit storm this morning...

...Babs is bowing out

Buzzy and Zaya,

Thanks for having us over. It was a cloudy day but the canopies helped keep us dry.
I started my first log in many years. Thanks for giving me something to work with.

Good to see old friends and meet a new one.

Till next time.

Dammit Derek! I think you LOOK for events where I'm NOT going to be and then attend them. I'm starting to get a complex! :lol:

Hope everyone had a good time, sorry I missed it.

C

Man, do you have ANY idea how hard it is to organize a NOT COMING list when some of the not-shows actually come and some of the regulars decide not to at the last minute?!?!?! Monkeyman actually showed up, that's good, but it throws all the math off! And I deleted TikiKate, cause she's always here in spirit. And the Untouchables are gone, because as somebody pointed out, they really aren't Tiki. At all.

Here's the FINAL No-Show list, I actually had to delete a few to make room for the last minute additions:

Atomic Tiki Punk (personally requested to not come)
Mieko +1 (yes, still no stated reason)
SandraDee (8 hours away, but the way she drives it's more like 6)
Hale Tiki (lives in Pittsburgh, which they tell me ain't in California)
Closettiki (too far)
Christiki295 (doesn't know event is happening even now)
TravelingJones (definitely not traveling here)
VampiressRN (wants pendant so she can't come)
Charles Phoenix (and still SO busy busy busy)
RevBambooBen (too much work. getting here. getting here is too much work.)
bigtikidude aka Jeff (DJing, surprise surprise)
MadDogMike (boss won't let him, it looks like too much fun)
Babalu (putting out fires)

That's 27, which is a pretty good turnout considering it was raining yesterday.

B

Thanks Buzzy and Zaya for what could possibly have been the first Chop in the rain! No matter. Best Chop ever because of the people. :)

Any pictures?

TT

Thanks Buzzy! Christina and I had a great time at the chop! The rain didn't bother us. The people, the view, the carving it was all great! Thanks again to you and Christine.

I'll try to post photos of last week's gathering later tonight.

for now, think about our next event here. Either the weekend before Thanksgiving, the weekend of Dec 1, or the weekend of dec 7.
Saturday or sunday works for me. Post your preferences here and we'll sort it out.

Buzzy Out!

Frankie's Tiki Room 4th anny Dec. 1st.

Pearl Harbor Day the 7th!

We are up for hosting if anyone actually wants to come here.

Z
Zaya posted on Fri, Nov 2, 2012 8:42 AM

On 2012-10-29 15:28, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I'll try to post photos of last week's gathering later tonight.

for now, think about our next event here. Either the weekend before Thanksgiving, the weekend of Dec 1, or the weekend of dec 7.
Saturday or sunday works for me. Post your preferences here and we'll sort it out.

Buzzy Out!

The weekend before Thanksgiving sounds good to me, but I'm flexible for the other weekends too depending on what's good for everyone.

Since Buzzy hasn't had a chance to post the pictures from our last carving jam then I will! It was such a fun time, and so great to get to hang out with everyone. The little bit of rain that we had sure didn't stop us!

Here's Monkeyman working on his new tiki...

Here's Bowana mixing it up a little, and working on this guy!

Here's Tiki Tonz in the primo spot with the view! (Which would have been better if it wasn't so overcast from the rain.)

Roxanne worked on a couple of cool projects too while Christina, her and I all visited.

Buzzy was working on his tiki too...

And here's Tiki Tonz checking it out...

Different view of the view...

Here's Roxanne with one of her finished pieces. Great Job!!

Everyone brought some delicious treats to eat, and Buzzy was at it bringing out variety of fried foods too...

Here's Monkeyman, and his new best friends...

What a bunch of traitors! Here they are being Bowana's new best friends!

Finally, here's Poki in her comfy spot on the log pile checking out all the action.

Thanks to everyone for such a great time! I'm looking forward to the next one!

See you soon!

Christina

TT

Hey Buzzy, the weekend of Nov.17 or Dec 1 works for me.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Nov 3, 2012 5:12 PM

Hey! No pictures of Cammo!

Here I am with my new RotoZorkz 6300 with a primo spot in Buzzy's garage:

To order editions 1-75000 of my new Tiki, just PM me with the required $359.99.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 162 replies