Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New house, no Tiki, and the onset of Delirium Tremens

Pages: 1 23 replies

Ahoy mates,
don't know if any of you got a chance to see the Narrow Escape in its heyday, but it was considered quite excellent by all who visited:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=25818

Well, we sold that house, and moved into a (much larger) rental out in the 'burbs. I guess we're all growed up now, with a 14-month old boy, careers, car payments and such. All in all, things are fantastic, but there's one little piece of me that's missing.

I'd love to build a new Tiki lounge in this house, there is certainly the space. The backyard is just begging to be Tikified, as it has a pool, large patio and outdoor kitchen. However my wife has frowned on the idea, and the landlords (did I mention they are also my in-laws?!?) likely wouldn't be too impressed when they visit.

And, we won't likely be living here more than a few years, so it doesn't make sense to put a lot of time and money into the surroundings.

We've got a small (10x10) room that could be done up, should I bother?

How do you deal with friends and family who look askance at our odd little obsession?

Your brother "Disco Stu" don't care what others think, He puts his disco ball up where ever he dances
get to Tiki-fying, maybe a little area by the pool, or just a small room and make a gallery to hang some art & display
a few mugs, maybe you can even give it some color with a paint job?

delirium tremens? get some Rhum- stat!

I thought you were talking about the delicious Belgian ale, Delirium Tremens, when I saw the title of your post.

How do you deal with friends and family who look askance at our odd little obsession? Luckily my girlfriend is part Hawaiian so I don't have to worry about that. When I explained to my visiting family that it's my place to go to unwind after a rough day at work they understood. They also thought that the decor was suitable since I live by the beach. Mostly they're happy I've incorporated color into my life after being clad in mostly black for a very long time.
Most of my friends think I'm weird so the tiki stuff doesn't faze them. My neighbors that have been in my apartment and were aghast at what they saw, well, I'm not concerned with what they think.
Slowly integrate tiki back into your life. Kids seem to like the bright colors so work on getting your baby interested by showing him youtube videos from the Enchanted Tiki Room. If your baby reacts in a cute way to the video than maybe your wife will be persuaded to add some animatronic tiki decorations.

tikilongbeach, I think the youngster will appreciate it, especially if I can incorporate some animatronic singing birds! My favorite feature of Disneyland as a kid was the Enchanted Tiki Room (pleeease tell me they haven't torn it down!), so he should be an easy sell.

Time to come out of the Tiki closet, so to speak, and to hell with what the in-laws think. Maybe I will throw a little paint on that tiny room, get my mugs out of the box in the garage, and place them proudly on the shelf. Next to a nice bottle of rum, of course.

Then, when we move in 3 years, do it all over again. That's half the fun, right?

The Enchanted Tiki Room is still open for business. Here's photographic proof!

K
kirby posted on Wed, Aug 29, 2012 4:49 PM

In my opinion,you are not really into tiki if you have to ask the question(Should I bother?).

EJ

On 2012-08-29 16:49, kirby wrote:
In my opinion,you are not really into tiki if you have to ask the question(Should I bother?).

What he said!!

It certainly must be a dilemma when you don't have your roots firmly planted where you live and nobody to support the wonderful Tiki habit. My suggestion would be to invest in collecting stand-alone items (bar, shelves, chairs, Tikis, lamps, rum barrels, etc.) and let them learn to live in harmony in the spare room. Then when you move you won't have invested in building something that you have to tear down and build again. If you have a need to set up a little paradise for yourself in your current location, then go for it...JMHO

"Oh waiter, another cocktail please!!!"

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2012-08-29 23:09 ]

Life at its most satisfying is a never-ending stream of opportunities for creating frowns upon the brows of the unenlightened or uncomprehending. To whatever degree you contribute to the livelihood and revenue stream of the household, you have a moral entitlement to render that household to your comfort. Proceed according to your inclination and the world will be a little more brilliant in your wake.

And of course the eradication of white rooms!

On 2012-08-29 23:08, VampiressRN wrote:
My suggestion would be to invest in collecting stand-alone items (bar, shelves, chairs, Tikis, lamps, rum barrels, etc.) and let them learn to live in harmony in the spare room. Then when you move you won't have invested in building something that you have to tear down and build again.

This is indeed the solution, and it works especially well because I can make most of this myself (I own a cabinet shop). Need to figure out what I can use to cover the white walls that is portable.

On 2012-08-30 11:56, bamboo stu wrote:
...it works especially well because I can make most of this myself (I own a cabinet shop).

I call "unfair advantage!" :wink:

V

Do it ! i also rent, and i don't think we'll be there for a long time, but I did my tiki bar. You know you need it.
Ans you can always keep all the decor when you'll leave in a new home and rebuild it again.

Rebuilding can be a lot of fun. How many of us wouldn't do some things bigger or better, especially given the need to do so? So what if you think your bar looks too cluttered? Rebuild in grander style! Add downlights for your mug collection and uplights for your rum bottles! Buy bigger tikis! Install the bar sink and drain you always wanted! Ok, now you got me started.....

HT

Renting is a terrible disease that never ends well.

I hope you soon recover and can fabricate a resplendent bar in a new home with your new found woodworking acuity.

That being said, I lived in an apartment a few blocks from the White House a few years back that was smaller than the Narrow Escape. My kitchen was in a closet. My bathroom had a poorly drawn mural of a volcano and tiki mugs (done by me) in pastels (which by the way, bake into paint if you put them in a hot bathroom that constantly sees steam and no ventilation). My living room (and by living, I mean the only room of the apartment) was my record shelves, my stand alone tiki bar complete with raffia to cover the small closet behind it that held all my food and to give the illusion that my apartment wasn't tiny, my yucca plant (for ambiance) and a futon.

If you want it badly enough, you'll have that tiki bar.

On 2012-08-29 23:08, VampiressRN wrote:
It certainly must be a dilemma when you don't have your roots firmly planted where you live and nobody to support the wonderful Tiki habit. My suggestion would be to invest in collecting stand-alone items (bar, shelves, chairs, Tikis, lamps, rum barrels, etc.) and let them learn to live in harmony in the spare room. Then when you move you won't have invested in building something that you have to tear down and build again. If you have a need to set up a little paradise for yourself in your current location, then go for it...JMHO

"Oh waiter, another cocktail please!!!"

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2012-08-29 23:09 ]

I agree. Stand alone items are the way to go, especially since your renting. In-laws as landlords? A double whammy! :P

Last night I put my money where my mouth is and made an offer on a bigger house. I literally told Teresa, "I'm out of room and need a bigger house where I can expand and do my tiki bar true justice." She found a great place online on Saturday, we viewed it on Sunday, and voila, now I find myself waiting for the offer to be accepted or rejected today.

Q: I wonder what cocktail goes well with "sitting on pins and needles?"
A: Probably ANY tiki cocktail!

Wow...that is taking the bull by the horns Ace. I am downsizing at my place since my Mom moved in with me. She doesn't like Tiki so she doesn't go in the lounge...LOL. Isn't it funny how some of our roomies are not into our collecting...what is wrong with them!!! :lol:

On 2012-10-18 21:31, VampiressRN wrote:
Wow...that is taking the bull by the horns Ace.

Yeah, it is taking the bull by the horns but also solves other problems related to more space like a bigger kitchen and quieter location. We've been looking around for the right opportunity, and when something suddenly came up this weekend that was best we'd seen to date, we really had to jump on it quickly. Found out Monday night the offer was accepted, so now am in mortgage hell providing all the paperwork, jumping through hoops, etc. It's very difficult to get a mortgage these days but I should be ok.

The next incarnation of my "in-home tiki presence" (aka "bar") will have to be carefully planned and designed so that it will be both tiki and appealing as a place to sit and hang out. A relatively wide-open floor plan in the main living areas will make it both important and challenging to blend and harmoniously interconnect the spaces. Lighting will also be a big part of the fun - I have lots of experience with custom lighting and electrical and will try to get just the right lighting and effects.

P

is this an actual conversation?

why do you care so much about what other people think you should or shouldn't be doing?

who gives a rat's ass?

follow your own star...

I don't care what the neighbors think until the city starts sending me letters threatening to fine me (that happened yesterday).

Heheheh, pjc5150, now how should I react to that kind of off-the-wall reaction? I can't even tell if that was directed at me. But since my post is directly in front of yours, let me say that I'm trying to go about my task in what will be, for me, probably the best way. I have a clean slate before me, and I think that planning is definitely going to work in my favor. I'm excited as hell to be able to do that rather than proceeding in a haphazard manner. (Not that haphazardness cannot be fun, or is not able to produce excellent results.) Despite your manners here, please know that you would be welcomed at my tiki bar.

Good luck with whatever you're doing that caused the city to send you some sort of threatening letter. Dealing with city stuff is not often much fun.

P

forgive my blunt speech. didn't mean to come off as a dick.

and yeah, the city and I have a tenuous relationship.

I should probably move out to the country so I can have all the loud music, tikis and junky old cars I want.

and you would be welcome at my tiki bar as well. if I had one...lol...

Pages: 1 23 replies