Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Three Dots and a Dash, Chicago, IL (bar)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies

T
Tiare posted on Mon, Jul 14, 2014 1:06 PM

Hi- I am finally going to get to visit Three Dot's this month. I am going on a Sunday. Do I need to make a reservation or it is pretty low key that day?

Thanks!

Exciting! Provided you get there before 7 on a Sunday, there's a very good chance you'll be able to belly up to the bar without difficulties. If you intend to go with a party of 3 or more, however, a reservation is your best bet. Don't hesitate to request an "off menu" drink; the folks behind the stick will do their best to rise to the challenge. (Probably my two fave off menu drinks are the Pupule and Tortuga.)

If you are not there at opening and are looking for a bar seat, order your drink at the bar and stick close. The bar spots have tended to turn over fairly regularly when we have been there, which has mostly been early on a Sunday.

TT

T

Thanks for the tips. I will have 3 people in my party, hmm, maybe I better make a reservation. Looking forward to it!!

Tiare, definitely visit Three Dots and a Dash, but since you'll be so close, do not miss Hala Kahiki!

T

Hey Tiare if you have time David Burke has good steaks, Be sure to check out
the salt walled steak drying room.
http://www.davidburkesprimehouse.com/

And when in Chicago one should go and at least see the Drake hotel.
(The Cape Cod room and COQ D'OR are both in the Drake hotel)

The Cape Cod room since opening in 1933 and has been a holiday award winner for 35 years.
To this day visitors to the Cape Cod Room can see the initials of Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio carved into the world famous wooden bar.

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/illinois/the-drake-hotel-CHIDHHH/dining/index.html

And they have...
COQ D'OR

The legendary bar opened one day after the repeal of Prohibition on December 6, 1933.

Both are close to Three dots we walked.
Have fun, Chicago is awesome!

New interview with Paul McGee. They're going to be releasing 4 new mugs, new swizzles and some new cocktails.
http://chicago.eater.com/archives/2014/07/31/three-dots-one-year-in-paul-mcgee.php?mobile=false

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2014-07-31 13:02 ]

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Aug 1, 2014 6:42 AM

Visited 3 Dots. My impression was that they were in a rush to get open and had the basics walls done and it went over well, so they just never finished.

Drinks were good, but they are not the exact classics. They put a lot into their garnishes and mugs.

If you could just merge 3 Dots with Hala Kahiki and have a great looking place with great cocktails and food, you'd be rockin'.

And I am not saying they have to go all crazy with décor. They can do a lot more and keep a more clean and modern aesthetic too.

Vern turned me on to a Craft Cocktail bar The Berkshire Room maybe a mile north that was great.

I think 3 Dots is a themed craft cocktail bar. Chicago is still waiting for someone to really nail the Tiki bar idea. But it may be very difficult to get it done right there in downtown where 3 Dots is, and if you do it right out in the burbs, you may not be a success. Tough thing to do I am sure.

There were 12 people in line with us on a Thursday to get in. A year into it, they are doing well. I overheard the guy down the bar asking about mugs to take home and the drinks were good and looked good.

R

On Monday night they celebrate their first anniversary with free swag, and new drinks and tiki mugs: http://chicagoist.com/2014/08/02/pencil_this_in_three_dots_and_a_das.php

T

Pics of the new mugs from Tiki Farm:

dang do i want these mugs

I'm sure they'll be available on eBay within days for $60+ each.

FM

That skeleton mug is SWEEEET!!

The Skeleton mug looks just like the Human/Alien hybrid baby
from Alien: Resurrection....

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-08-06 16:53 ]

It's supposed to be a fiji/feejee mermaid according to a post by Three Dots and a Dash.

Duplicate.

FM

a mermaid? Ooof, I would hate to be the sailor that falls in love with her.

H

On 2014-08-11 12:16, Fez Moai wrote:
a mermaid? Ooof, I would hate to be the sailor that falls in love with her.

Not a mermaid, a Fiji Mermaid. As in this:

Or this:

whoa !! without him on board that place is a goner- stay tuned for the inevitable auction of tiki decor…..

FWIW, I made my first (and second, and third) trip to Three Dots this past weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Paul may be gone, but they still have some good bartenders expertly making nicely balanced drinks.
Their signature Three Dots and a Dash and a Jet Pilot

A Zombie (for 3-4 people)

Mai Tai

A look around the inside:

Heading to Chicago and Milwaukee in July to do a "Tiki Tour" with my wife. We're hitting up 5 different spots, but this place is high on the list for us. Been looking forward to going for some time. We plan on doing the same thing we did when we went to Frankie's Tiki Room in Vegas last September...Posting up on a couple of barstools in a corner (or anywhere that has a wall to lean back on as needed), and working our way down the list of signature drinks, and collecting every mug on the way down, then asking them to call us a cab back to the hotel. At Frankie's we got all but one mug in the first night (and possible liver failure), and that was only because they were out of one of the ingredients for the cocktail that went in it, but we came back the next day and got that one too. Really looking forward to Three Dots and a Dash. :)

You have to post pictures of EVERY SINGLE MUG you acquire.

On 2015-05-21 12:57, TrophyHunter wrote:
You have to post pictures of EVERY SINGLE MUG you acquire.

Roger that!

F

On 2015-05-21 12:54, Kahiki Guy wrote:
Heading to Chicago and Milwaukee in July ... and working our way down the list of signature drinks, and collecting every mug on the way down, then asking them to call us a cab back to the hotel....

Kahiki Guy, you will not be disappointed! But get a few "friends" to join you (or make some there) if you're going to try the Treasure Chest drink (although, I don't think you can actually buy the treasure chest the drink is served in.)

Are you going to go to Hala Kahiki or Chef Shangri-La while in Chicago? Lost Lake is also great (same guys as Three Dots), but its décor is decidedly not "tiki", even though their drinks clearly are.

Cheers and have a blast!
:drink:

Yes, all of those are on our list! Also going to Lucky Joe's in Milwaukee (an "ode" to Frankie's in Vegas). Looking forward to all of them and will get mugs from wherever possible.

Thanks!

If you're hitting Milwaukee, don't miss the Foundation Tiki Bar. Drinks are great there, really top notch. Get the "secret" menu, and order yourself a 151 Swizzle (in the metal cup!)

On 2015-05-21 18:47, Kahiki Guy wrote:
Yes, all of those are on our list! Also going to Lucky Joe's in Milwaukee (an "ode" to Frankie's in Vegas). Looking forward to all of them and will get mugs from wherever possible.

Thanks!

On 2015-05-22 08:14, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
If you're hitting Milwaukee, don't miss the Foundation Tiki Bar. Drinks are great there, really top notch. Get the "secret" menu, and order yourself a 151 Swizzle (in the metal cup!)

On 2015-05-21 18:47, Kahiki Guy wrote:

Thanks!

Thanks "QAD"! I'm not sure if that place was on our list or not, but it Definitely is now! Just sent the link to my wife to add to our itinerary. Thanks for the tip about the "secret" menu also. Looking forward to it. Looks awesome!

Mahalo!

The Foundation is one of the best modern era Tiki bars going, in my opinion... somehow,
they manage to balance the right Tiki vibe with also feeling like a comfortable, neighborhood
place (I'd liken the neighborhood vibe there to the Tonga Hut in Hollywood...)

The drinks are top notch, you'll be welcomed with open arms and you'll immediately feel like
a regular.

They also have a super cool signature barrel mug you can only get there
(and the drink that comes in it is fan-fuggin'-tastic...)

Hala Kahiki and Chef Shangri-La outside of Chicago are two of our favorite
places in the world and are certainly must-visits -

If yer a completist on your Chi/MKE Tiki tour, there's also Tiki Terrace in Des
Plaines (they do a great Polynesian floor show on Fri & Sat nights), the Tong's
Tiki Hut in Villa Park, The Breakers in Crystal Lake, and on your way up to Milwaukee,
there's the Rendez'vous in Kenosha...

Have fun - ya won't be disappointed!

--Pete

On 2015-05-22 09:34, Ragbag Comics wrote:
The Foundation is one of the best modern era Tiki bars going, in my opinion... somehow,
they manage to balance the right Tiki vibe with also feeling like a comfortable, neighborhood
place (I'd liken the neighborhood vibe there to the Tonga Hut in Hollywood...)

The drinks are top notch, you'll be welcomed with open arms and you'll immediately feel like
a regular.

They also have a super cool signature barrel mug you can only get there
(and the drink that comes in it is fan-fuggin'-tastic...)

Hala Kahiki and Chef Shangri-La outside of Chicago are two of our favorite
places in the world and are certainly must-visits -

If yer a completist on your Chi/MKE Tiki tour, there's also Tiki Terrace in Des
Plaines (they do a great Polynesian floor show on Fri & Sat nights), the Tong's
Tiki Hut in Villa Park, The Breakers in Crystal Lake, and on your way up to Milwaukee,
there's the Rendez'vous in Kenosha...

Have fun - ya won't be disappointed!

--Pete

Thanks Ragbag!
I know we have Hala Kahiki, Chef Shangri-La, and The Tiki Terrace already on the list (looking forward to the polynesian floor show!), but I don't think we knew about the other 3. Thanks a lot for all the great tips everyone! I think we may have to extend our trip from 4 days to 5 to fit all this in! But that's a problem I'll take any day!

Planning a visit here early July - I looked back on the thread and wondered of anything NEW I need to learn..

That said a few quick questions..

1. Is it easy to find? (speakeasy and alley way?) look for what markings?
  2. If there are 4 or possibly more can I make a reservation - I plan to be there at 5pm on a weekday Thursday. Line?
  3. All the drinks look good how about the apps? any suggestions?
    Mahalo to anyone who responds.

Peace!

Hey, sneakyjack. I haven't been there yet, but my daughter lives in Chicago, and she went there to get us some mugs. My understanding from her is that the sign at the street actually says "Bub City"--it's a multi-level establishment with 3 Dots on one level and Bub City on another. 3 Dots is only open in the evenings most days, but Bub City is open much earlier in the day. For anyone just going to get mugs, you can apparently buy 3 Dots mugs at Bub City, even if 3 Dots is closed.

Hope that helps a little! Maybe after your visit you could let us know what mugs they have for sale there now? If there's something new, maybe I'll try to talk my daughter into another mug run for me :wink:

Cheers,
T

Howdy! You can make a reservation via OpenTable. It's not a bad idea, because it can occasionally get busy at random times even early on a weeknight. Yes, it's located underneath Bub City--but you'll need to go to the alley behind Bub City to get in. Just look for the tiki torches and the blue neon. Best drinks? The namesake Three Dots and a Dash is a classic, and the Saturn is also wonderful. If you want to go the punchbowl route (a good idea if there are at least two of you) definitely get the Zombie.

And by all means, if you can make it to Lost Lake while you're in town, go! It's a lot homier, has much better food, and the drinks are topnotch.

Oooh...just looked up Lost Lake. It's very close to my daughter's apartment! I wonder if they have mugs??? Can't help it. I'm a junkie. :)

Lost Lake does not have mugs (YET!)

Ah, thx. I'll just have to stay tuned. I'll tell my daughter to be at the ready when the mugs emerge! :wink:

F

Went to 3 Dots and Lost Lake in late-April - both fantastic. I would put the quality of mixology up there with Smuggler's Cove and the Mai Kai (to give some bi-coastal references). And I love that just about every drink you can order off the menus (which are eye candy in themselves) are served in muggery.

As said above, the door to 3 Dots is in an alley way. Once you enter, you'll go down a set of stairs, under some skulls, and you're basically in. Didn't work when I tried to Google Map the location, so here's my orientation: Find Bub's. Bub's main entrance directly faces out to Clark. Walk south to the corner of Clark & Hubbard, take a left and the alleyway will be your first left (right after the little donut shop). You'll see a doorman about 30 feet in, waiting outside the 3Dots door to check IDs.

And, yes, GO EARLY. For a party of 4, you should be able to get a table somewhere fairly easily if you go when they open.

As for drinks- you can't go wrong. I had about 6 different drinks and all were great. Three Dots and Jet Pilot were possibly my favorites. If you aren't sure, just tell the bartender what flavors or spirits you like and they'll make a good recommendation. I had coconut shrimp and crab rangoons. Both were good, but I hear the Thai Fried Chicken wings are a standout (I don't eat chicken, so I cannot confirm personally.)

If you get to Lost Lake (and I hope you do, cuz it's worth it), I can't comment too much on the food. I just had the addictive peanut snacks. But did enjoy a Lost Lake and shared a delicious "Wave Of Mutilation/A Fish Tank Needs Sharks" bowl drink. Also had a few sips of the Poipu Beach Boogie Board, which was really tasty.

Cheers!
:drink:

Mahalo for the above - I'll report back after mission is completed.

Mahalo!!!

KG

I had a friend go to Three dots last week and when he asked to buy the mug his drink came in, he was told that they are currently "out of stock" on most of their mugs, and that they only had what they used to serve their drinks in inside the bar. They told him that they frequently run out and that they usually sell out the day they come into stock. Can anyone confirm this? I'm going in 2 weeks and I'm gonna be a cranky Kahiki if they don't have the mugs I want when i get there.

Mahalo!

That's the first I've heard of them running out of mugs... in our experience, they
always seem to have plenty.

They had told a friend of ours probably 6 months to a year ago that they were "almost out"
of the sea urchin mugs and that when they ran out they'd get something different and retire
that design, but we've gone back and picked them up for friends at least three times since then,
so I don't know if they just had more than the bartender knew about, or if they did end up reordering
them.

I think Paul McGee the one behind ordering new mug designs and cool new drink vessels, and he
always seemed pretty jazzed when they'd get in new stuff, so perhaps the new management is ordering
lower quantities or changing up their buying habits. For awhile there, they were getting all kinds of
3 Dots branded Tiki Farm designs (including bigger ticket stuff like the clam shell and sea horse
bowls.)

I can say most everything they use comes from Tiki Farm (with the exception of a select handful of
Cheeky Tiki UK and Dynasty mugs), and all of their 3 Dots branded stock is from the Farm, so perhaps
it'd be worth throwing Holden a line on their FB page?

--Pete

KG

On 2015-07-06 09:37, Ragbag Comics wrote:
That's the first I've heard of them running out of mugs... in our experience, they
always seem to have plenty.

They had told a friend of ours probably 6 months to a year ago that they were "almost out"
of the sea urchin mugs and that when they ran out they'd get something different and retire
that design, but we've gone back and picked them up for friends at least three times since then,
so I don't know if they just had more than the bartender knew about, or if they did end up reordering
them.

I think Paul McGee the one behind ordering new mug designs and cool new drink vessels, and he
always seemed pretty jazzed when they'd get in new stuff, so perhaps the new management is ordering
lower quantities or changing up their buying habits. For awhile there, they were getting all kinds of
3 Dots branded Tiki Farm designs (including bigger ticket stuff like the clam shell and sea horse
bowls.)

I can say most everything they use comes from Tiki Farm (with the exception of a select handful of
Cheeky Tiki UK and Dynasty mugs), and all of their 3 Dots branded stock is from the Farm, so perhaps
it'd be worth throwing Holden a line on their FB page?

--Pete

Thanks so much for the info! I'll definitely shoot "Holden" a message on their FB page. Better to be safe than sorry!

Mahalo!

My daughter was in there about 10 days ago & they told her they had 14 different mugs in stock on that particular day, though there was sadly no sea urchin. The person she spoke to gave her the impression that they won't be getting that one back :(

She got me the gold bamboo with the 3 Dots name on the rim and the green Big Toe 2013 design (has no 3 dots markings), both Tiki Farm.

She's supposed to head over for me again later this week, so I'll report what they have now, once I hear from her.

On 2015-07-06 10:02, KonaKaiBaby wrote:
My daughter was in there about 10 days ago & they told her they had 14 different mugs in stock on that particular day, though there was sadly no sea urchin. The person she spoke to gave her the impression that they won't be getting that one back :(

She got me the gold bamboo with the 3 Dots name on the rim and the green Big Toe 2013 design (has no 3 dots markings), both Tiki Farm.

She's supposed to head over for me again later this week, so I'll report what they have now, once I hear from her.

Thanks KKB! Oh no! No more Urchin?! That's my favorite one. Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and get that one from ebay...:( I'll definitely get what I can though. Thanks for the info everyone!

I know! I was really bummed, too. I've been dying to have one of those sea urchins in my collection!

So a review from my earlier post..

Excellent go there - my friends thought it was grate and they aren't into tiki so much. They still served in the Urchin mugs. all drinks were excellent and PUPU platter was grate too. Easy to find in the back alley. I used an app open table to reserve a table it was easy - place filled up quick from 5:30 to 7p. Met a lot of fun people - I'd do it again.

Mahalo to all those who helped.
I couldn't carry any mugs out I was going to a show and knew it wouldn't survive.

Great, maybe?

ATP is taking over for Grog as the new Spelling Police.

There's a new sheriff in town :)

I guess I'm lucky to have an urchin mug. I also have the golden bamboo. They make some cool mugs!

[ Edited by: lunavideogames 2015-07-12 12:19 ]

I wouldn't presume to replace Grog, I make enough mistakes of my own
but that one was particularly "grating" :lol:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 166 replies