Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

Question for warm climate people

Pages: 1 17 replies

Are people who live in warm climates like So California, Hawaii or Florida etc sad this weekend like I am in NJ? I hate Labor Day because summer is over, vacation is over for me and fall and winter are on there way so soon I'll have to close my pool and won't be able to enjoy my tiki oasis until Spring. :(

I was wondering today if it's different if it isn't going to get cold where you live. No reason to be sad because the weather will still be warm & beautiful....

Figured this would be the place to ask this completely unimportant question!

Good night all. Hope you are enjoying your holiday weekend.

I actually love the Fall...October is my favorite month (it's got Halloween!!!) I don't like it too hot or too cold so Fall is just right. Not looking forward to the monsoon storms we get though.

Mid-September through mid-November is my favorite time in southwest Florida. The dew point drops below 70 and the snobirds are still far north. Perfect weather and no traffic.

No, I don't get sad when Labor Day passes. There aren't as many tourists clogging up our freeways, beaches, theme parks and attractions.
Lol, Halloween is a huge celebration in Southern California! Some people really go all out on their Halloween decorations.
I love the fall and winter here. Believe it or not, there are trees here that have fall foliage.It does dip into the 40's here. I'm well aware of that because my apartment doesn't have a heater.
Where I live there is a lot of fog and I can hear the fog horns from the incoming ships and the Port of Long Beach from my bed.
It is cool to be able to stand on the beach and look at the snow-capped mountains that surround Los Angeles. If you're so inclined you can surf in the morning and go snow skiing in the afternoon here. The resorts are just 1-2 hours away.
There are Christmas boat parades where people decorate everything from electric boats to huge yachts. The one in Newport Beach is very popular. Maybe because it isn't freezing here people tend to really decorate their homes for Christmas and even Hanukkah.
That's the great thing about home tiki bars, even if you're stuck inside because of a snow storm you can close the drapes and be transported to a warm tropical island 365 days a year.
-Lori

Yes, Lori - I too get sad on Labor Day 'cuz it means winter is coming. Our Fall is our nicest season; summer temps of 110+, spring is windy, winter lows 28-35 (that's cold for me). Fall is beautiful, highs in the 90s 'til well into November. We usually eat Thanksgiving dinner outside in short sleeves. It's funny that all of the big box stores put patio furniture and BBQs on sale in the Fall, just in time for our prime outdoor season.

But for me it's work in the winter that sucks. I'm a Respiratory Director in a hospital and that is our busy season. Flu & pneumonia season, the kids with RSV, the snowbirds flock in and bring all their health problems, the off-road trauma from nearby Glamis. Staffing is tight and coverage only works if no one ever calls in sick. Then there is the holiday schedule, figuring out who draws the short straw and works which holiday.

:sigh: I miss summer :(

Nope, In cali I just worry about the fires.

MDM - what state do you live in?

I love hearing about the ways others view the seasons. I've always lived in NJ and we have clearly deliniated seasons, no confusing winter and summer here. But I was curious how the seasons feel to those who live where the weather is rather constant. But I realize now that although it's not super cold in the winter somewhere it is different than in the summer.

Thanks all!

TM

Interesting discussion. I am very into weather watching, and all that science stuff.

In southern calif, we basically have it like this:

Summer: mid july to Labor day----dry and hot, with temps around 85 to 100. Occasionally, if there is a storm in baja california, then we get sticky hot humid weather for a few days, in what feels like the east coast type weather. It might sprinkle, but doubtful. Generally, there will be no rain during the entire summer.
Fall: Starts about now. You can feel the wind definitely switching to blowing all the time from the north, from over the desert. It will remain hot and dry until November. It's not unusual to have 100 degree temps close to christmas, even. Again, no rain.
Winter: december to march. These are actually the coldest months. Drops to 38 overnight. You wake up with the roofs and the lawns and your car windows covered in frost. it is now cold and dry. Again, very little rain. Storms come now, and they are short in duration. A lot of rain will come in short period, devasting all the streams and flooding streets. Because it rains so infrequently, people do not know how to drive in the rain like this and you get accidents all over the place. As soon as the storm passes, the cold, dry and extrememly strong winds known as the Santa anas come and push the storm away. This dry, windy condition lasts until well into april/may, which passes for spring here.

True spring is my favorite season here, only lasting until mid july. I love it here because it it will have either "May grey" or "June gloom"....which is an oceanic breeze coming from the west, which keeps the mornings overcast and sometime keeps the whole day overcast at the beach. This weather is to me, perfect. Temps are about 60 to 70 degrees.

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2012-09-02 10:37 ]

I haven't been here (Kauai) a full year yet, but it appears the only real difference here is the length of days. The day/night temps in the summer are 85/75, and in the 'winter' it's maybe 10 degrees less tops!
So Labor Day does not matter to me.

Quit bragging Bill....LOL

I'm sure it's common there Bill but I remember a restaurant in Honolulu that had the weather forcast painted on the wall because it never changed ~ "High of 85, low of 75, light winds from the East and scattered afternoon showers"

T
twitch posted on Sun, Sep 2, 2012 7:31 PM

Well, I've got SAD - seasonal affective disorder, so the end of summer brings dread, but Autumn is my favorite time of year because HALLOWEEN.
Then again I live in Vancouver, so it's hardly pertaining to the question. Well, we are the southernliest area in Canada, so yeah.

I was going to post in this thread, the other week but got side tracked.

Summer over?
Not hardly, its crazy hot here. 98 degrees at 5 pm on Sun. Sept.30th
in Anaheim,Ca. near Disneyland.
I bet its still hot around Halloween.
It usually cools down mid to late Oct.
but we were still swimming in our pool with-out a heater
last year on Nov. 10th.

Jeff(btd)

As an East Coast (Connecticut) transplant to the Southern California desert, I know exactly what you mean about bumming out when Labor Day hits. It can get down right depressing. You know what is around the corner...snow and COLD. Since moving here, that is no longer true. Like many have pointed out here, it's basically summer up until Christmas here in So Cal. Then, a short "winter" for a few months. By March, it is beautiful again. It sure has made a big difference on my disposition! I miss the Fall time in CT, and would love to see snow on Christmas day, but I'll take the trade-off any day.

I'm heading to North California end of Oct/beginning of Nov (San Fran & Big Sur) and I'm bummed that it won't be warmer!

Luke hit the nail on the head! You know what's around the corner here - cold & snow. And it's worse for me b/c last year was so nice and mild and I'm pretty sure it's going to be the complete opposite this year. :(

Thanks for all your responses. Jeff - I'll trade places anytime! lol

On 2012-10-01 09:39, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
I'm heading to North California end of Oct/beginning of Nov (San Fran & Big Sur) and I'm bummed that it won't be warmer!

Thanks for all your responses. Jeff - I'll trade places anytime! lol

SF and Big Sur. can be hit or miss, occasionally, you can get a warm spell in late Oct. they call it an Indian Summer,
but usually those places are cool.
I used to Live in San Jose Ca. south of SF about 20 miles.
Like OC is to LA.
Its much warmer in San Jose than SF.
its usually around 5 degrees cooler than what it is here in So. Cal.

have a good trip,
take warm clothes, but shorts too.
:wink:
Jeff(btd)

Thanks Jeff! Now I'll pack shorts as well as jeans.

heading out to Palm Springs for Taboo event fri. morning,
supposed to be 100 degrees.
Ugh, ooooof, and yikes!!

I am still waiting for fall to show up here.

Jeff(btd)

Pages: 1 17 replies