Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Looking for Roy's island Mai Tai reverse engineering?

Pages: 1 3 replies

7SEAS posted on Sun, Sep 23, 2012 8:40 AM

Had a Roy's island Mai tai the other night and thought it was the best I've had to date. The menu states the obvious, triple sec, cruzan white rum, pineapple and Myers dark. I asked the waiter and he stated grand marnier with tequila? He didn't really sound like he knew for sure and kinda rumbled on. I need some German reverse engineering on this like yesterday! Some savvy rum vet please help!

[ Edited by: 7seas 2012-09-24 13:21 ]

A

First off, I don't know the true recipe that Roy's uses. However, after a quick buzz around the Internet, I have a guess:

4 oz Orange Juice
4 oz Pineapple Juice
1 oz Lime Juice
1 oz Light Rum
1 oz Triple Sec
1/2 oz Simple Syrup (or Grenadine if the drink looks a little pink)
Topped with 1 oz Dark Rum float

From what I've read, Roy's used to use Cruzan for the light rum and Myers for the dark rum float. However, apparently they've changed and now use Castillo for the light and float Cruzan Black Strap.

"I am Lono!" -- Hale Ka'a Tiki Lounge

[ Edited by: arriano 2012-09-24 17:33 ]

Thanks for the info! I think I'm going to have to make the drive back up there and get all Inspector Clouseau at the bar.
The waiter did say that the pineapple stuff was a pre-mix and seemed a good deal thicker than pineapple juice.
I'm going to mix up what you posted tonight and see if it seems the same.

A

Cruzan Black Strap has a pretty distinctive brown sugar taste. So you'll need that to even come close.

Pages: 1 3 replies