Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Paradise Peak

Pages: 1 16 replies

Hello all. After much browsing and indecision I finally decided to plumb for a tiki bar. After rather meticulous study of quite a few posts on here work has commenced!
I have lauhala to wrap the walls, nippa thatch for over the bar, and cogan grass for the ceiling.
Plus half a rainforests worth of bamboo to box everything in!
Hope you like the pics, any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers Alex.

Tiki Artifacts currently going in the room.

This is the material for the booth seating

K

Cool! Those stone walls look great and will be even better
as things progress.

It's in your blood now isn't it Alex? There is no turning
back now mate. :)

Welcome to Tiki Central...looks like you are having fun building your lounge. Keep those pictures coming.

Thank you for the fun photos. Wendy

Your keeping the rock walls, right!

I vote for keeping at least some of the rock walls too. Are you in Australia?

We're in Wales, UK. The stone walls are all staying, after 8 days of raking old lime mortar and repointing i couldn't cover them. Nice to retain some period features as well. The house was built in 1801 and was originally a row of 6 miners cottages, looking back through the census to 1881 there were 53 people living here!
I wonder what they'd make of tiki style lol.

Bar clad in 6mm ply ready to attach the lauhala.

Tiki tank, water has to cycle for 3 weeks until the planted landscape goes in. Fish to follow a week after. Looks very uninteresting but once established should fit in perfectly against all the bamboo and lauhala.

Window being blocked up this week, recess made for tank to sit in.

Tank will be in the eyeline of seating at the bar and on the booth bench for maximum visual

Very exciting start, Alex! Lovin' the rock walls!

Great project and very interesting history of your place. I love the old stone walls and the fact that you are keeping them is wonderful. I can't wait to see how it progresses. The fishtank will be a great attraction.

• Dale
T
Tabu posted on Sun, Sep 30, 2012 8:20 AM

Those walls have so much character. Nice restoration on them. I live in a very old home as well and can appreciate the challenges. Can't wait to see the finished lounge. It will have a lot of atmosphere.

TE

Interesting post indeed, looks like a great job & comfortable, You all will have a great time

First half of the lauhala on. Needs steaming and addtional staples but not too bad.
Cogan grass was more of an effort but still not too bad, half the ceiling done!
Once the bamboo arrives it will go over the baton holding up the grass.

Awesome!!! Cool to see Tiki stuff happening in the UK, Europe. Always thought it would be a little challenge to find Tiki stuff there. But its happening. Great to see :D

It is rather difficult, i could only find one supplier. Cheeky Tiki,think there based in london. All the materials are from the phillipines. Had the bamboo from somewhere else because it was cheaper, again though i only found one decent supplier for that as well so choice is limited!

Lookin good Alex! You're on your way to your own private oasis.

Pages: 1 16 replies