Tiki Central / Other Events

The Hukilau 2013 Official Thread and Announcement

Pages: 1 2 3 4 157 replies

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 18, 2013 4:33 PM

Nice photos. GROG like this sequence:

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jun 18, 2013 4:35 PM

And GROG really like this black velvet. Send to GROG.

Good old Crazy Al. He makes some great stuff, but his website is an unmitigated disaster.

Bohemiann, great pics as usual!

But only 1,829 photos? You guys are slacking :>)

CA

grog gets around!?!

S

On 2013-06-18 16:35, GROG wrote:
And GROG really like this black velvet. Send to GROG.

That painting of Mireille Thornton had been in storage for years after it was vandalized in the dining area. I had an artist friend clean and restore it and gave it back to the Mai-Kai (framed in glass) to put it back.

It is by J. Craig Hille III, who I believe did all the large black velvets in the Mai-Kai.

Thanks for the update, Tim. I missed the presentation, and have been wondering. That was really great that you did that, and a damn shame that someone thought to vandalize it. Warms the cockles to know it's restored, and will go back to it's original home.

Just slightly shorter than War and Peace, my recap of The Hukilau is finally complete ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2013/07/08/a-tiki-top-10-photos-and-memories-from-the-hukilau-2013/

I'd like to register a formal request for Hukilau 2014, re: musical entertainment. Past Hukilaus have been exemplary in presenting a wide variety of exotica in all its manifestations, and we've enjoyed everything from the stalwart Intoxicators to Los Straightjackets, Robert Drasnin & Orchestra to the Sweet Hollywaiians and Ixtahuele. But I sense a bit of an over-reliance both here and elsewhere on surf band music, at the expense of diversity and historic tradition. Nothing against surf music, except that it tends to be overrepresented in tiki culture.

I'd like to see more of the sophistication suggested in the phrase "sophisticated savage", in the form of jazz and jazz-influenced bands, as well as hapa haole. Since West Coast events are abandoning this tradition, perhaps it's time Hukilau embraced the likes of The Smokin' Menehunes and the less-savage options available out there. Who knows, maybe even a Cuban conga band, in light of Florida's geographical & cultural proximity to Cuban culture.

I personally, would love to do it.

http://soundcloud.com/smokin-menehunes

Oh, and Santa can we please have Easton Island too?

If there is even one steel drum performer - I'm out (not really, but it sounds tough)! Whats next- Samba dancing and carnival costumes? Keep it PURE-ish - no Flori-bean influences!!

On 2013-10-24 13:05, AlohaStation wrote:
If there is even one steel drum performer - I'm out (not really, but it sounds tough)! Whats next- Samba dancing and carnival costumes? Keep it PURE-ish - no Flori-bean influences!!

So we can assume you won't be wanting any unpure Caribbean rum either?

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=46327&forum=12&0

Aloha Everyone, we are certainly working on a great musical lineup for 2014. We always try and make every effort for equal representation. It's tough to make everyone happy each year but you can count on The Hukilau to be as traditional as possible. The acts we already have lined up for next year are wonderful, and one is coming from across the pond - the first time in the USA - details soon!

Elliot Easton's Tiki Gods will be performing at Tiki Oasis, we did contact him but he decided to go with Tiki Oasis rather than The Hukilau. In an effort to bring diversity, I'll not be bringing them to the event this next year. I hope everyone understands that!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The Hukilau

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki 2013-10-24 14:45 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 157 replies