Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

fubar

Pages: 1 2 92 replies

Yeah, my friends are like most guys my age. Not very PC, which is funny because we all grew up in San Francisco

A few years ago I killed a bear on my property so I named it Ka-bar after the K bar knives that the marines used in WWII. That's when they started calling it Gaybar. So I changed it to Fu-bar. A WWII saying

Hope you'd allow me into your bar, would love to share some rum and tiki stories

[ Edited by: Longboard 2014-02-19 16:39 ]

On 2014-02-19 16:00, Longboard wrote:
Yeah, my friends are like most guys my age. Not very PC, which is funny because we all grew up in San Francisco

A few years ago I killed a bear on my property so I named it Ka-bar after the K bar knives that the marines used in WWII. That's when they started calling it Gaybar. So I changed it to Fu-bar. A WWII saying

Hope you'd allow me into your bar, would love to share some rum and tiki stories

[ Edited by: Longboard 2014-02-19 16:39 ]

Anytime Longboard. I'll reserve a space for you.

THIV

That looks like the Buster chair from Restoration Hardware. I've always liked those, they have such an old gentlemen's club (not in the strip join sense!) feel. What a great room.

It's the Ralph Lauren WRITER’S CHAIR, I waiting and save for that joker. I sat in one at one of their stores and was hooked

I had no idea. They look identical: http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1153183

Your space just goes to show that there's plenty of room for experimentation within the tiki ideal. I think it looks wonderful! And that's an impressive collection of vinyl, too.

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

Immortalize your name for eternity by contributing to The Tikipedia!

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-02-20 17:45 ]

H

Love your music room, dark, comfy, and full of atmosphere.

Really came together man!, I hear you about us non PC types :lol:

WOW...I am blown away...the library looks very classy and so welcoming in a curl up and read a book kind of way. Great job!!! One of these days we are going to have to crawl to your space...looks awesome.

D
dtel posted on Fri, Feb 21, 2014 4:47 PM

Very nice, hard to take in all at once there is so much to see, both rooms look like they have been there forever.

I have to ask, Is that Klipsch Heresy speakers in the listening room, looked like it ?

Great job on everything.

Rad!!!! That looks killer. :D

PP

hahahahaha FUBAR!!! I see your a student of History and the South Pacific and WWII!!!! Right-On!!! soooooooo love your bar whether it be the K-Bar or FUBAR both are fitting!!!

where did you get the Asian carven headstone shaped pieces you have on the outside as decorative shutters? love them! your bar just screams fun! and if your anything like me it will never be done either!!! love to see some more pix, its all going in my "Right-click, save as...." library for my own tiki bar which will prob have something everyone will recognize from their bars!!! thanks again for sharing and bringing a smile to my face!! too cool!!!!

paul

Dtel,

Yes those are Klipsch Heresy speakers, they really kick ass in that room. I also, have a sub to give it a little more bottom end.

Here is some of the stuff I took out of this room before the re-do

PP

cool, im thinking tiki yard sale!!?? lol

D
dtel posted on Mon, Feb 24, 2014 9:20 AM

On 2014-02-24 07:54, Longboard wrote:
Dtel,

Yes those are Klipsch Heresy speakers, they really kick ass in that room. I also, have a sub to give it a little more bottom end.

Here is some of the stuff I took out of this room before the re-do

I know they really do sound good especially with a sub, have a collection of Klipsch myself, Heresy's are going in my hut.

You have a great collection of stuff to work with and I love the way your rooms came out, very nice.

What is that on the walls of the music room, looks like cloth, somewhat of a diamond pattern, whatever it is it looks great, it makes the whole room especially with all the wood.

[ Edited by: dtel 2014-02-24 09:27 ]

Is that a Tiki bench in the rubble...or is it a massive Mai Tai cocktail table?

It's a Tiki Bench from Trader Vic's and a 1950's Hydroplane.

Also a few 1930's outboard motors. The walls inside have a couple of Tapa's and old redwood fence boards

[ Edited by: Longboard 2014-02-25 07:56 ]

[ Edited by: Longboard 2014-02-25 07:57 ]

HELP AND ADVISE!

I've got these cheap hollow doors. Freaking hate them as they are.

Any ideas on how to deal with them?

-Longboard

H

H

What a gorgeous space! Love, love, love it.

Re: the doors -- my prescription is to paint the doors dark brown, get some loose woven straw/grass matting (got mine at Oceanic Arts), use a spray stain on it to give it some age and depth, and then decoupage it onto the door with Mod-Podge and a roller. Then you've got a nice, simple backdrop, you can either leave them as-is, or build onto them from there.

I keep thinking it would be cool to trick them out to look like old doors, maybe Dutch doors (I'm a sucker for a Dutch door), but then you might as well just go to a reclamation place and get some actual old doors, eh?

Hi Longboard,

About those hollow doors. Here's a pic of the same type of door I tricked up with a bit of island design. I repeated the design in reverse color along an adjacent window ledge. Works for me.

Aloha
THIV

Hottiki, Humuhumu andThurston Howell IV,

Thanks guys for the feedback.

All great options and great simple fixes. I love this site and the people on it.

-Longboard

I'll second Humu's grass matting suggestion, and suggest using a cheap old-school straw beach mat or burlap underneath and smaller pieces of a more expensive matting layered above it.

You can get a straw beach mat for under 5 bucks, and enough cheap burlap to cover a whole wall for under $50.

[EDIT] I was just thinking, if you are looking for a more Mid-Century Modern look and less Exotic/Tiki door you can paint them Chinese Lacquer Red or Sea Foam Green. Tape off an area first and paint it with an accent color like Cream, let it dry, cover it with painters' tape and then paint the door with the primary color.

Or you could go to your nearest architectural salvage and just buy a couple doors that say "Mid-Century Modern" to you.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., Th.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2014-06-02 06:17 ]

PP

OMG Great ideas!!!! I have a few of those doors in my new pad, and was just thinking what can I do to them!!!??? wow!!!! so excited now to start working on doors!!!
paul

H

I also liked this door, found the pictures on "Kanaloa Lounge II in Germany" thread here on TC.

E
ECTiki posted on Tue, Jun 3, 2014 9:04 PM

Great Ideas on the plain door, We are going to use them for our lounge!

I'm re-doing my bed room. Still need to hang my Tiki Stuff

[ Edited by: Longboard 2014-07-28 09:38 ]

As always...just awesome. I love all the dark colors it feels cozy!!!

All that tapa cloth goes well with everything.

Just checking on your little shangrila...hope you are not affected by the Twain Harte dam issue.

L

Wow Vamp,

Thanks for the heads up. Never heard a thing about it until your post.

It's close, but not that close

-Longboard

Just finishing up a stairway.

DELIGHTFUL...those are some great prints. Love it Love it Love it!!!

PP

I need the Jap meatball flag!!!! sooooooooooooooooooooo cool!!!!!

PP

still one of my fav builds on here!!! forgot how long its been since Ive looked!!! awesome!!!

Your bar is great, but that bedroom is incredible! Zebra rug and everything!

Those are some serious "Inter-war Period Explorers Club" interiors. The kind of place you might imagine a young Ernest Gantt stepping into...

O

Here I thought I would have the only Tiki space in Twain Harte...

This just looks soooo good!

Offarock,

are you in twain Harte? We're having a party 4th if July weekend

K

Beautiful space! Love all that tapa and wood. Only thing I see missing is sweet lighting! I might be able to help you out, if you're interested. :wink:

L

Adding this model from a movie set. Still need to finish the build in and add the lights.

http://www.matteworld.com/film/film_archives/dunston.html

Having this bar sign made

[ Edited by: longboard 2015-08-03 09:46 ]

[ Edited by: Longboard 2015-08-03 14:11 ]

Just totally off the hook. I liked Dunstan Checks In. That movie prop is awesome!!! Hope you two can make it to the Sacramento Crawl first weekend in October this year. We might have to do a trek to your place sometime...WINKWINK!!!

New kids room

[ Edited by: Longboard 2018-05-17 09:43 ]

[ Edited by: Longboard 2018-05-17 09:44 ]

Some of the items

Puffer from Swanky

From the trader vic’s (I was told when I got them from the warehouse back in the 80’s) original Oakland Location
The SQ wall lamps

Large Tapa Cloth from Tonga
The smaller tapas are from a ww2 vet who got them when fighting on 3 of the major pacific island battles
The flag I got from the same vet who had it from Peleliu
1960’s hydroplane
Crazy Al foam tiki

That looks better than some professional bars I've seen. Fantastic build-out. I assume the child in question likes tiki? Or are you threatening to sell 'em to pirates? :wink:

~Jayme

Lagoon of Mystery
http://www.JaymeBlaschke.com

[ Edited by: Prikli Pear 2018-05-17 14:00 ]

A home bar only needs to be enough to take your imagination to where you want to be. I think it looks great.

Pages: 1 2 92 replies