fubar

Pages: 1 2 92 replies

The inside of my bar in Twain Harte Ca

[ Edited by: Longboard 2012-11-26 15:33 ]

[ Edited by: Longboard 2012-11-27 07:46 ]

[ Edited by: Longboard 2014-02-19 12:39 ]

[ Edited by: longboard 2015-08-03 13:55 ]

[ Edited by: Longboard 2015-08-03 13:56 ]

cool looking bar... do you have more pics?

Really nice details, Longboard!

A couple more, I'll get a few next time I'm up there

Wow...what a knock out of a nautical Tiki Bar. GREAT JOB!!! Welcome to TC. :drink:

You've done such an excellent job the place looks 100 years old. Wendy

On 2012-11-19 21:53, danlovestikis wrote:
You've done such an excellent job the place looks 100 years old. Wendy

Parts might be! I'm seeing some seriously vintage bits of nautical salvage in there: the cleats, Bosun's chair, and the two triple pulley block & tackles visible in the first picture, the small ship's deck ventilator in the third, and the beautiful portholes visible in all three shots. Plus those Bongos, the use of salvaged lumber throughout, the vintage electric percolator, the ships barometer and pressure gauge, the old wooden screen held closed by a gaff, various lines & tackle, a couple husk coconuts... I'm just having fun looking through all the little details; how many Tiki Bars have a Beer Light in them without feeling like a revisionist misstep? That particular Anchor Steam light fits!

Wow guys, thanks for the great feedback.

I joined awhile ago, but didn't post my photo's because I thought my bar wasn't as cool as the others.

I have a bunch of items from the Trader Vic's Oakland restaurant that closed years ago and going to do my bedroom next.

I'll get more photo's up soon.

"Not cool enough"? It's over the top... except maybe for the tiki sign. That might be the weakest element pictured.

You have done a very nice job, it has all the prerequisites
except for one, a name

Give it a name, put it on a plaque & replace the Tiki Bar sign
keep up the good work!

D
Dagg posted on Tue, Nov 20, 2012 1:48 PM

On 2012-11-20 13:06, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
& replace the Tiki Bar sign

too funny. I have the exact same same sign. In fact that sing is why I started building my lounge... Its been in a box in my basement for a month now. Im learning.... the Tiki sign is not Tiki....

awesome bar Longboard!

Yeah, that sign was a gift and I hate it, but I'm stuck with it for now.

Maybe it will get stolen one day

Couple of more photo's

Awesome

Really cool. I love nautical/tiki bars.

Absolutely Fantastic

Jealous

[ Edited by: longboard 2013-12-16 07:36 ]

wth?

Hey Longboard "What you talkin 'bout Willis" just get yur butt back here!

the Kona Thread you are getting a little bent out of shape for is six years old
the last post was in 2007, so it is old news and nothing to get riled up about.

And yes Bamboo Ben is a "Golden God" as well as a good friend, so King Kong got nothing on Ben!
cool your jets, have a cocktail and keep posting your Tiki Bar pics, bruddah!

T

Your bar is REALLY great!
And I would guess most of the people on TC thinks Ben does great work.
I know I do.
Don't let the few run you off.

Yes, don't go. Your bar is great with all of the nautical details....plus Bamboo Ben is the man.

T

"Just came from the Kona Club.

Wow, I guess I'm just a newbie at 57 (most of those years going to Tiki Bars, like the bars places like Lani in San Mateo and Trader Vic's in Oakland) but, WOW.

Bamboo Ben is a genesis and for the life of me I can't understand why all the negative posts here on Tiki Central.

I just joined and really, I'm thinking of rescinding my membership.."
Quote: Longboard

Ohh I get it now,
I take heat because I think the Mai Kai is, was, always will be better than the Kahiki.
Now I love the Kahiki but fact is fact, But that is just my opinion.
Don't know about Kona club.
But it just comes down to ones opinion, and likes dislikes.
I say stay and let Your opinion be known.
Did Ben do your bar?

Longboard,
Bamboo Ben is so well liked he's immortalized in ceramic mug form. Most of us that live in Southern California have something that Bamboo Ben carved, nailed together or painted in their tiki bar.
He's got bamboo running through his bloodline if you look up his family history in the tiki world.

Come back Longboard!!!

This stuff happens all the time around here.

Don't let the Tiki Snobs get you down.

Hope to see you around after all the dust settles.

BB

P.S. Skip I didn't do his bar but I wish I did!! Just saw him

here this week.

It's old school nautical fun fo' sure! Everyone else...

I'm not a god, I just do this for a living! And, like to make

people Happy :wink:

BB

p.s.s. If Longboard doesn't come back I'm gonna start posting

all my stuff on his thread! lol!!

HT

On 2012-11-28 14:13, tikilongbeach wrote:
Longboard,
Bamboo Ben is so well liked he's immortalized in ceramic mug form. Most of us that live in Southern California have something that Bamboo Ben carved, nailed together or painted in their tiki bar.
He's got bamboo running through his bloodline if you look up his family history in the tiki world.

I don't. :(

HT

Also, your bar looks like it's 80 years old.

I really like that. Feels old. Loved. Used. Well traveled.

Seriously Longboard. Listen to these guys. Come back!! Even Ben posted himself. I like your bar as well. Thats the way my Tiki room kinda is. Its a mix of nautical, asian, and polynesian. Mid-century style :D. Plus. Its got Bamboo Ben swag. No Tiki bar is complete without something from Ben. Just my opinion. :)

T

"Also, your bar looks like it's 80 years old.

I really like that. Feels old. Loved. Used. Well traveled'"

That's why I thought Ben did it.
I have seen bars that people do, they look new.
And they are not comfortable, and having a commercial
bar that is uncomfortable is a good way to close soon.
"did ya sit in those uncomfortable seats before you bought em,or try to read
the menu in your way to dark restaurant?" (Not Kona Club, different place)
It's hard to get the right vibe in these places.
And that's why you should pay more for a pro like Ben.
I was going to try to open a tiki place (aren't we all)and was going to fly ben in,
if you want a bar like Frankies ya get the guy who did Frankies.

M

Who is Bamboo Ben?

Dude, I love your bar! It's got everything one would need.

Mahalo for sharing! Definately "cool"

McTiki

Hey Longboard, How did you come to name your too cool bar the Kabar"? Were you in the Marine Corps?
Cheers

H
harro posted on Sun, Jan 6, 2013 3:40 AM

Awesome place, just dripping with that irreplaceable, unmistakeable whiff of AGE. Nothing beats it.

I'm in the process of building a urinal from savaged junk. I still have to add a holding tank from the Oracle Race Team boat and a 1890's urinal from an old gold rush hotel. It's mostly for my wife, who is tired of by buddies missing the toilet in the house.

Great idea for an outhouse and your bar is SWEET!! My dad was a navy guy and I have some fun collectibles and you have created just the look I'm hoping for.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

PS: At least your buddies go in the house, I have a couple that feel it is ok to just stand at the edge of the deck. At least I'm in the country. :)

They Piss everywhere, Rum will do that to you

D
Dagg posted on Wed, Mar 20, 2013 9:05 AM

Welcome back Longboard!
Outhouse looks great so far.

Almost done!

Longboard that's an awesome pisser. I thought about showing that to the wife but I'm sure I would then have to it to the top of my build list. So she's not going to see it.

Man, that would be so much better to have, then my buddies wouldn't try to sneak a leak off the porch. Dirty bastards. I love the look of your bar too! Is that a re-purposed fireplace mantle with a mirror mounted in it?

Yes on the fireplace mantel. I used stairs from an old ship for the rum bottles and on the sides I used giant block and tackle

I'm like most of you guys, collect a pile of crap and build a Tiki bar

LOL....love the urinal!!! Every wife deserve an outhouse for the guys...fabulous idea.

That's bloody brilliant, I must say! It looks fantastic.

Love your bar!

Hey Longboard...is your bar and outhouse safe? I know you are pretty close to the Rim fire?

L

VampiressRN, thanks for asking, yes all is good now.

It was touch and go for a few weeks there, got a ton of ash everywhere.

When I get it cleaned up I'll post some more photo's of the updates.

Hope to see you all at the tiki crawl in Oct.

-Longboard

I promised the wife when I would re-do the music room, I would do it Mid-Century.

Unfortunately it came out more Tiki than Mid-Centry (go figure)

Got advise from Atomic Tiki Punk, Tiki Vato and Swanky regarding hanging my Tapa Cloths, thanks guys!!

Also, changing the name of my Bar to FU-BAR, I got tired of my buddies calling it Gay-Bar. Not that I have anything against gays, just got tired of hearing it.

[ Edited by: Longboard 2014-02-19 10:25 ]

Hi Longboard. I've been following this topic for a while. What a great rustic old-man-of-the-sea space you've created, complete with outdoor pisser. But jeez your buddies must be real tough guys if they regard your bar as a bit sissified. They must be those guys George Carlin talked about with the barbed wire tattoos around their biceps sporting shirts with the sleeves ripped off.

I guess I wont be inviting your mates to my tiki bar.

Great work!

Pages: 1 2 92 replies