Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

BOWLARAMA at the Tonga Hut March 3rd

Pages: 1 2 3 4 187 replies

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jan 25, 2013 1:32 PM

Calling all "Ruiners" (ceramic artists) and 2d artists:

Everybody's making mugs nowadays, so we're going to do a "Bowl Show" in early March at the Tonga Hut. This will be "SUPERBOWL SUNDAY" of tiki.
Scorpion Bowl, Volcano bowl, whatever kind of bowl you want to do. Heck, GROG may even bring GROG' "Toilet Bowl" GROG did in college.
** Artists contact GROG if you'd like to do a bowl or bowls for the art show.**

So, break out your clay and start slinging some mud around.

This will be March 3rd, Kitty Chow and Fisherman will perform at 4pm and The GLASGOW TIKI SHAKERS will perform at 6pm.

We will have vendors as well, so contact GROG if you want to vend. ( $20 vending space fee to pay for the band.)

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-22 18:26 ]

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-22 18:27 ]

M
mp posted on Fri, Jan 25, 2013 6:08 PM

Super Idea Grog! MP like.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jan 25, 2013 7:27 PM

Thanks Em-Pee. GROG hope to see some fun stuff done for this show. Hope you can contribute.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jan 26, 2013 10:41 AM

Got some awesomely talented people already interested in participating in this art show. GROG really excited about this one.

Maybe GROG will finally do the "Sacrificial Virgin" Volcano bowl GROG designed years ago.
Hiphipahula and Trader Tom already came up with a "Sacrificial Virgin" drink recipe to go with it.

Thor said he might even come over to GROG' cave and sling some mud with GROG.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jan 26, 2013 10:44 AM

Do ya'll think we should open it up to 2d artists if they want to do some drawings or paintings, or do ya'll think we should keep it a ceramic show?

I vote to let the 2Der's in otherwise they will cry and tears fill all the ceramic bowls.

Hey Grog the next Don the Beachcomber's sale is in April. Your show will fill in the gap. I think I can have a bowl ready but if we can't make it down may I mail it to you and pick it up in the future? Wendy

T

YES!!!

I have lotsa bowl ideas itching* to be created... not sure how 2D art can be represented in this show, but I'm up for that challenge too! Heck, 1D, 4D, I'm there! (or THEN, in the case of 4D)... in any and every event, count me in!!!

*By "itching" I mean "banging around in my brain, aching and begging to be born into corporeal existence"... and if I can commit them to clay, perhaps it will help to quell the raging inferno, if only incrementally, that rages 24/7 in my skull... and momentarily appeased, I may be able to focus the remaining madness into some semblance of sanity (and art)... fingers crossed here...

G
GROG posted on Sun, Jan 27, 2013 9:13 AM

We should wear "Bowling Shirts" to this event to keep with the theme. :D

M
mp posted on Sun, Jan 27, 2013 9:07 PM

On 2013-01-26 11:03, Bora Boris wrote:
I vote to let the 2Der's in otherwise they will cry and tears fill all the ceramic bowls.

Laughing out loud! Belly laugh really loud! Oh wait a minute, Im a 2-d artist. little tears

J

Wait GROG, don't you mean BOWL-O-RAMA ??...

That other word was confusing to me. :-?

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jan 28, 2013 6:22 PM

Nope.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jan 29, 2013 10:13 AM

A little preview:

The "Wangaroan Bowl" in progress.
The Wangaroan is sculpted and ready to mold. Going to make Bowl mold this morning and then mold the Wangaroan sculpt this afternoon (if all goes according to plan).

The initial idea sketch (done a few years ago):

The Wangaroan sculpt:

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jan 29, 2013 10:37 AM

Maybe we can get Kinny Ruzic to do a piece for the show. GROG not sure if he'd drink a bowl, but he'd certainly smoke a bowl.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Jan 29, 2013 1:14 PM

Bowl mold worked out.

But, GROG broke the wang off the little Wangaroan (for the third time) as GROG was preparing him to be molded. Technically GROG broke him off his wang, because the wang was attached to a base. He's repaired and drying now. He's happy to have his wang reattached.

Update: oops again. Make that 4 times now it's had to be reattached.

Update: Penis has now been broken off 5 times and his head twice. Tired of fixing him, so going to fire this bastard and then make a mold.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: grog 2013-01-31 01:22 ]

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2013 12:14 AM

GLASGOW TIKI SHAKERS are confirmed as the entertainment for the evening.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2013 11:25 AM

Inspired by Squid (him did coil-built stuff recently), GROG making a coil-built Tiki Bob bowl.

Building the bowl, with Bob shots as tiki footings, building the bowl upside down from the top down.

Making a bottom to add on.

Bottom attached.

Bowl roughed out, now to start the cleanup/detailing.

Hey Grog, are these bowls going to be for sale or just for show?

Thanks!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2013 5:57 PM

GROG bringing both, some that will have prices on them and a few GROG save for ebay (unless, of course somebody make an offer GROG can't refuse).

Great I will do my best to make it! Got my bowling shirt all ironed. :)

T
TNT posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2013 6:39 PM

I don't have a bowling shirt but I'll be there. Grog, that TikiBob bowl looks amazing, can't wait to see it.
teresa

BB

Um... I thought I said to take it easy on the Tiki Bob stuff this year?

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 1, 2013 8:37 PM

But GROG had already started the bowl when you made your request, Boris. Besides, Bob sells and GROG got bills to pay.

Looking forward to seeing Luna and Teresa (TNT) at Tonga Hut.

Go Grog go....

Nice to see Grog getting clay on Grogs digits

Jon

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2013 10:30 AM

Bisque fired some crap.

A couple of primitive Moai bowls.

The Bob Bowl had some cracks (figured as much) because the Bobs were already pretty dry when GROG was building up the coil-built bowl. They dry at different rates and you get cracks where they attach. A little bit of paper clay in the cracks and refire, and cracks will be gone.

Two top seekrit bowls. They are actually rough experimental bowls GROG will do as collaboration with another artist. If the two mediums work as well as GROG hoping, then GROG will do a final bowl for the show which should be pretty nifty and different than any other bowls done so far.

GROG fired the Wangaroan because GROG kept breaking off his wang and his head when GROG was trying to make a mold of him. Now that he's bisque, GROG should be able to mold him without breaking his wang off. GROG just not good at handling wangs other than GROG' own. It's a good thing GROG heterosexual.

And Whistlin' BOB just for Boris! Actually, GROG had started this for the Tiki Wonderland show, but the greenware got bumped and broke off some pieces, so it needed to be repaired and GROG didn't have time before the last show. Now it repaired and onto glazing.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2013 10:39 AM

We've got artists making bowls, and we've got the Glasgow Tiki Shakers as entertainment. Not sure if Marie talked to Tonga Tom yet about DJing in the parking lot, but GROG pretty sure he'd be up for that. Now we just need more vendors. So, if you're interested in vending, contact GROG or Marie at the Tonga Hut, and she will notify GROG.

On 2013-02-06 10:30, GROG wrote:
...and cracks will be gone.

Does paper clay come in a spray can? The local hiphop hoodlums like to wear their pants down around their knees. I wish I had something to make those cracks be gone! :D

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2013 1:19 PM

Cracks, not crack heads.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2013 1:21 PM

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-06 13:51 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 6, 2013 1:21 PM

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-06 13:51 ]

Two top seekrit bowls. They are actually rough experimental bowls GROG will do as collaboration with another artist. If the two mediums work as well as GROG hoping, then GROG will do a final bowl for the show which should be pretty nifty and different than any other bowls done so far.

GROG and BAMBOO BEN!!!

OOOOps. BAMBOO BEN Forgot seekrit!!! :wink:

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 8, 2013 1:34 AM

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 10, 2013 9:40 AM

So...... GROG fired the Wangaroan sculpt so that GROG not keep breaking off his wang while GROG try to make mold. Nope. Penis broken again.

GROG should not be so rough on the wang. It delicate, like pointy thing that hang from ceiling in GROG's Cave.

Everything looks great, GROG. Can't wait to see the finished product. Love the primitive bowls you've done already.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-02-11 12:13 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 12, 2013 8:55 PM

Thanks Hale.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 13, 2013 7:09 PM

GROG no have Facebook. So if any of you Facebookers are so inclined, feel free to grab the Tonga Hut flyer for the Bowlarama show to post on Facebook. GROG appreciate it.

P.S. Kitty Chow and Fisherman will be performing at 4pm before the Glasgow Tiki Shakers. The Tonga Hut will probably have some nice drink specials going.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-13 19:13 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 17, 2013 1:06 AM

GROG started pouring some Wangaroan bowls. Not sure how many GROG have finished before March 3rd, but hope to have a handful.

And maybe a few Wangaroan shot glasses and/or Salt and Pecker shakers. (The lines on the sculpt are the mold lines for making the mold)

Grog you are doing such a fun project. I wish you were on "other crafts" page too. Don't forget you can add on pieces that break off. They don't have to be hollow if you dry your piece slowly.

Will the bowls be for sale at the event?

Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-02-17 12:49 ]

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 17, 2013 3:08 PM

Thanks Wendy,

All the GROG" "Wangaroan Bowls" will be for sale, and most of GROG' other bowls. GROG might save a couple for ebay, but for the right price offer, even an ebay-bound bowl would be for sale.
As for all the other artists, it's up to them, but GROG pretty sure they'll have a price on them.

GROG dropped off the two top-seekrit TEST BOWLS yesterday at the other artist's studio. If the test is successful, then GROG hope to have a final bowl collaboration completed for the show.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 18, 2013 1:33 PM

Could still use a few more vendors. If interested PM GROG or contact Marie at the Tonga Hut.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 18, 2013 7:10 PM

Got 5 Wangaroan Bowls poured and a pair of Salt and Pecker Shakers. Might get a Wang Shot Glass poured this evening, too.

T

Grog, you are a Wangaroa Machine! Keep them tikis comin'!

I'll have progress pics to post soon, I hope!

HT

You're killing me, GROG.

I laughed out loud at work when I read Salt & Pecker shaker. At work, where I'm totally doing work and not on Tiki Central, I swear.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 19, 2013 10:48 AM

GROG glad GROG made you laugh, Hale.

GROG spent most of the day yesterday working on a bowl for the top seekrit collaboration, and then pretty much destoyed it this morning trying to clean it. Well, at least the Wang Shot glass GROG poured yesterday survived, so it wasn't a total loss.

Yay Tobunga! Post progress shots. So far GROG the only one posting any pictures on this thread of bowls in progress. There's around ten artists that SAID they are going to have stuff for the art show. But, artists are a fickle lot, so who knows how many pieces we'll have. GROG have a meeting with Unemployment next week, getting taxes done, and have to do a Bamboo Ben comic for Tiki magazine deadline. GROG hope GROG have enough time to finish everything GROG trying to get done for the show. Might have some late-nighters ahead for GROG.

Kitty Chow and Fisherman play at 4pm.

http://kittychowandfisherman.com

And the Glasgow Tiki Shakers at 6PM.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-19 11:12 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 19, 2013 11:31 PM

Managed to clean a Wangaroan without breaking his wang. Yay! looks pretty neat with the wood grain. Hope it turns out well in the glaze.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-20 09:34 ]

Hey Ernie, thanks for the invite! Your bowls are lookin killer! Here is progress on a bowl. Time permitting I hope to get a few finished.

HT

I said it before and I'll say it again, that bowl is going to be amazing.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 21, 2013 4:05 PM

Yay Cass! That bowl is killer.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 187 replies