Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

BOWLARAMA at the Tonga Hut March 3rd

Pages: 1 2 3 4 187 replies

More progress :) goes for bisque fire tomorrow

T

I finally have some progress pics to post.

The bowls I'm creating, I realized, don't really look like bowls...

Here's a square bowl: the Stockton Islander:

The A-frame roof comes off. Straw holes are cut into the windows under the outrigger beam on front and back.

Here's a vertical bowl: Cassowary

There is a PNG spirit board between the Cassowary's legs to fill out that space, and cocktail goes down there, too.

The most bowl-like is extra-bowl-like, as it circles all the way in 365 degrees:

The bowl is covered in Tapa patterns, and the lid is ringed withs: Hawaiian, PNG, Tangaroa, Marq and Maori. The top sports a Moai. All the tikis are fire chambers, so with six, this may be the most fire-chambered bowl ever!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 22, 2013 11:30 AM

CASS and TOBUNGA!!!!!!!

Your stuff is looking

GROG looking forward to seeeing what the other artists get done for the bowl show. Cray Al, Tiki Diablo, Tiki Tony, Johnny Velour, and an MP/ Ruzic collaboration---all should have some really nice stuff.

Tiki Roots Rocka, Buzzy, and Babalu said they were hoping to get a bowl done for the show, but were more on the "maybe" side. Babalu is in China right now and he's Buzzy's source for clay and firing, so they may not get something done in time for the show.

Pulled these out of the kiln this morning: (Some were fixes that had to be refired) 1 Tiki Bob Bowl, 2 Primitive GROG Moai Bowls, 5 Wangaroan Bowls, 3 Wang Shots, and 1 pair of Salt and Pecker Shakers.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-22 13:43 ]

Eric! Those are photoshopped, right? You didn't really make anything that incredible!?
Reason #5973 to move to SoCal!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 22, 2013 2:33 PM

Artists with stuff for the bowl art show: (If everybody does bring/send stuff)

Crazy Al, Tiki Diablo, Tiki Tony, Cass, Tobunga, GROG, Wendy(Danlovestikis), Johnnie Velour, Mp/Ruzic.

Vendors: (so far)

Crazy Al,GROG, Tobunga, Johnnie Velour,Tiki Roots Rocka, Mahalo Tiki, Smokin' Tikis.

GROG trying to get some vendors with stuff for the ladies--Jewelry/earrings, vintage wear, purses, hair accessories etc. but not having too much luck so far.

Music;
Kitty Chow and Fisherman at 4pm, The Glasgow Tiki Shakers at 6pm. Tonga Tom DJing in the parking lot during art show/vending.

GROG need to talk to Tonga Hut, but GROG think if you buy a bowl at the event and order a drink for it, maybe you can get a discount on your drink.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-22 14:37 ]

Oh Jeez you guys, you are outta control! In a good way, of course!

T

Wow, everything looks great- may have to trek up from San Diego for this show. Grog, thanks for organizing!

Grog and Tobunga, stuff is looking amazing! Tobunga that Cassowary kills me! Here is the progress on the nicknamed Easter Island Hot Tub bowl

Posting from mi iPod. Haven't been active being computer less for months,

G
GROG posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 10:06 AM

That's hilarious, Cass. GROG like.

It looks pretty large. GROG have to figure out how we're going to display all these babies. GROG not think GROG usual mug display has wide enough shelves.

Wow, nice work everyone!
Here's a PNG bowl I'm working on.

GROG, I've got about 40 vintage dresses that I'm bringing in addition to the Aloha shirts.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 1:30 PM

Alright RootsRocka!!! Coming through with a bowl for the art show and some stuff for da ladies. You rock Rocka!

Really nice work you kids!

Alas drying the " hot tub " too fast it cracked, so this one is out for the show. Hope to still have 3 to 4 bowls for the show. If Grog need folding tables for display let me know, can probably borrow them from work.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Feb 23, 2013 7:09 PM

Sorry to hear about the hot tub, Cass. Slap some paper clay in them cracks and stick it in the kiln! The stuff works miracles.

Yes, bring folding tables if you can. We'll use 'em if we need 'em. GROG going to bring some lazy Susans for some bigger bowls so people don't have to handle 'em to see the the whole bowl.

Cool , will do Grog... Unfortunately beyond the help of paper clay, but we will see I may still have a shot at getting this one done

B

Howdy GROG!

Sorry I missed your call...making this show is not looking good for Babs. I'm in China for the next week and a half. :(

Have fun kiddies!!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 24, 2013 2:41 AM

Thanks for checking in, Babs.

Hey Grog, put together a facebook page for those who want to invite people on facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/216189411855144/?context=create

Empee sent Toe and i each a framed velvet with dimensional cutouts
for us to paint and share on Sunday!
he looked thru our work and made some shapes and a composition for us to
simply add our magic to...

here's what i gots so far...

still miles to go before i sleep...

Also will get this to the Bowl-a-rama
for your perusal...
"the Clamshell Bowl"

The velvet's lovely, dark, and deep,
But Kinny's got promises to keep,
And miles to go before he sleeps,
And miles to go before he sleeps.

I'll try hard to get there,but it's not lookin good,Professor....
SLAMMED with LOTs of ART stuff
and work is a MARATHON lately
LOTS of Miles to Go...
but i will raise a shotglass
or maybe schmoke a Bowl in honor of the Ohana this Sunday...

ALSO.... MAY throw in YET another bowl piece for the art show
if anyone wants it....

"the Hide-A-Way"

Kinny, that velvet's beeeuuuutiful!

G
GROG posted on Sun, Feb 24, 2013 6:54 PM

Looking good LLT. Bring all the bowl paintings you got. Need more 2D stuff for da show.

Thanks Cass for the Bowlarama facebook page. You da best.

Been a glazing storm this weekend. One more bowl to finish glazing, and the kiln will be full. GROG fire tomorrow with fingers crossed.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Feb 25, 2013 8:17 PM

GROG' crap fired today. Cooling overnight and open tomorrow. Fingers crossed that things aren't too effed up.

Trader Tom's stuff in the mail. Bosko sending stuff out, too. Crazy Al just realized he needs to get started (that boy really IS crazy!)

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-25 20:20 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Feb 26, 2013 10:49 AM

Opened the kiln this morning and this what GROG found:

These bowls turned out well. The one on the far right is either the first or second Moai bowl GROG
made years ago. It had some glaze issues, so GROG has tried to touch it up a few times, and GROG think
this time it is done.

The Bob Bowl turned out well. It has one small chip that needs to be retouched and fired, but otherwise turned out well enough.

The two bowls on the left are too light and need to be sprayed with a couple of more coats of glaze.
The greenish one in the back sucks, first time GROG has used that color and it didn't work for this
bowl. GROG will glaze over top and try to fix. The grey one is pretty good, but could use a few more
coats on the bowl part to darken it up. The one one the front right done in a dippping glaze that sucked.
Might try to dybrush on it to try and salvage it.

The salt and pecker shakers are too light and could use a couple more coats of glaze sprayed on them.

The shot on left is that dipping glaze that sucked. The middle grey guy is fine, the guy on the right could
use another coat or two to darken him up.

Oops! Forgot this guy. He was left over from the Tiki Wonderland show. He had some light glaze areas and leaked.
Now its's darker and doesn't leak.

So more glaze touch ups today and then back into the kiln.

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-26 11:10 ]

GROG it must be contagious because you are now the machine! Wendy

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 27, 2013 12:31 AM

Yep. Glazing up a storm. GROG in hell. Has GROG mentioned GROG hate glazing?

Bowls are looking great Grog! glaze like the wind!
Here is a quick pick of one of the bowls I hope to have for the show, as of now it's likely I will have 3 at the show. This, PNG inspired, side faces are dry ice pockets, cocktail goes in the center.

HT

Nice crap, GROG.

I like the Moai Bowl in the back the most, I think. And all the WANGaroans, of course. I agree, I think some dry brushing could save the drippy one. Looking forward to updates!

Finally! It's about time that somebody picks up on the Spanish style. Cudos, Cass.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 27, 2013 11:03 AM

Cass!!

Muy impresionante!

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 27, 2013 6:22 PM

For those of you who are facebookers:

On 2013-02-24 10:05, OceaOtica wrote:
Hey Grog, I put together a facebook page for those who want to invite people on facebook https://www.facebook.com/events/216189411855144/?context=create

Help spread the word. Thanks.

GROG

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-27 18:22 ]

Thanks Grog! Sven, nail on the head! Wanted to cross Spanish style with even more PNG influence, not sure which direction with the glaze yet, Spanish or PNG. Excited because I love the Spanish mugs and bowls and want to incorporate that some. Here is the cooling lava 3 Moai bowl, iPod photo doesn't quite capture the depth of the glaze technique.

G
GROG posted on Wed, Feb 27, 2013 10:42 PM

Wow Cass! That's HOT!!!

AWESOME CASS! makes me crave an ol school ashtray!
So many incredible works!
amazed....

FINALLY FINISHED!
"Midnight Concoction"
cel-vinyl and acrylic on dimensional wood
mounted on velvet
with a stunning hand-carved frame by Mikel Parton
19.5 x 23"

This was a collaboration where Mp created the frame and the pieces and the velvet and...
Just go see it at the tonga hut on Sunday!
It's up for Adoption!
For an Incredibly Verbose and Visual journey thru this painting
the process/the lil tricks.and all that
go here and scroll down
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19904&forum=18&start=last&

On 2013-02-27 23:25, little lost tiki wrote:
AWESOME CASS! makes me crave an ol school ashtray!
So many incredible works!
amazed....

FINALLY FINISHED!
"Midnight Concoction"
cel-vinyl and acrylic on dimensional wood
mounted on velvet
with a stunning hand-carved frame by Mikel Parton
19.5 x 23"

This was a collaboration where Mp created the frame and the pieces and the velvet and...
Just go see it at the tonga hut on Sunday!
It's up for Adoption!
For an Incredibly Verbose and Visual journey thru this painting
the process/the lil tricks.and all that
go here and scroll down
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=19904&forum=18&start=last&

Kinny, Me and CeCe are drooling over" Midnight concoction". This is just classic LLT. The way I read the link it appears to be sold. Say it isn't so and pm me the price. Don't tease us li dat!

HT

WANT

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 28, 2013 10:10 AM

Yay!!! We've got some nice stuff for the ladies. Audrey K will be vending. Her first time vending at the Tonga Hut. GROG hope we get a good turn out, so she'll come back again.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 28, 2013 10:15 AM

Looks like it's going to be 72 degrees and partly cloudy, so a perfect day for art show and vending in the parking lot behind the Tonga Hut.

Unfortunately, I won't have my "Black and White" bowls I was making for the show ready in time. But I will have some other pieces.

These are 2 different kinds of clays wheel-thrown and the tapa carved to be identical. The white one is porcelain and the brownish one would turn black in the glaze firing.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 28, 2013 4:26 PM

Very nice Mr. Velour.

GROG got Bosko's bowl and Trader Tom's Bowl and Mug combo delivered today. GROG going to leave them in the boxes so they are safe when GROG transport them to the Tonga Hut, so sorry, no pics but you can see Tom's on his ceramic thread: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=43415&forum=18
Bosko said his is an A/P of his Moai Bowl.

GROG pulled GROG's crap out of the kiln, most of it was better and came out OK. A few disappointments, but GROG has time to do another touch up and fire before Sunday. GROG stayed up late firing and preparing for taxes today. Met with the tax guy today, and GROG need go take nap now before GROG jump on working on Bamboo Ben comic due tomorrow.

The Bob Bowl came out a little bit lighter, but still looks really nice.

This is the third bowl GROG ever made, and it's had some glaze problems. GROG keep adding different glazes and firing it, but glaze not stick in certain areas.
Got another trick to try and fix it, and we'll see if that works.

Did a dark rub on the Olive colored bowl and put some clear on it and it looks much better now.
The light brown one to back left is still too light.
The grey one looks better now (it's not as dark as in the picture).
The darker brown one looks good, and didn't do anything with the far right one with the sucky dipping glaze.

Tried some new glazes on some Bob shots, and they all turned out well.

Put some lava on this bowl and it looks like blood. Gonna grab a different red and reglaze so it's more like molten lava.

Salt and pecker shakers turned out better with a little darker glaze.

The two shots on the left are OK but the one on the right still sucks.

[ Edited by: grog 2013-03-02 15:09 ]

M
mp posted on Thu, Feb 28, 2013 6:58 PM

Everything is looking GOOD everybody! I wanted to get more done but It will just be my collaboration with
Ken Ruzic and maybe one with BigToe, we will see. I'm going to try and sneak in a velvet for the online after party.
Also I have raku bowl/mug I had to repair that I'm going to give away to someone right here. Pics coming soon.
We let grog decide how he want give away MP Bowl. Cant wait to see the pics of all the finished art.

Big Mahalos Grog for supporting the artists consistently with the awesome Tong Hut art show!

Tita and I should make it there from snowy Chicago. In town for WesFest Sunday night at the Roxy so it should be a fun AND WARM (it's snowing here.. F the groudhog) weekend.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 1, 2013 10:42 AM

72 degrees and partly cloudy---you're gonna like it.

Wow, can't wait to see these in person. Great work!
The PNG bowl is in the kiln and will be picked up Sunday morning before the show. I hope it doesn't suck.
Here's some tumbler mugs, little coconut bowls and a petroglph bowl.

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 1, 2013 6:47 PM

Yay RootsRocka!! GROG really like the primitive looking petroglyph bowl.

Going to meet Kinny tonight to get the Ruzic/MP collab, and his other pieces for the show. Hopefully Big Toe finished a piece, too.

GROG all the art submitted for your show has been terrific. Mahalo Tiki is picking up my Pele Rising (out of the volcano) bowl today and will deliver it to you for the show.

Having the copy-write to the Frankoma Tiki line I have been allowed by Joniece Frank to mold one of her original War God tikis to use here. The top bowl and Pele are my own sculpts. I put this together for your show. Thank you for inviting me. Wendy

This is a dangerous bowl. If you don't use a straw for the drink you may poke your eyes out!

T

All the pieces for the show look fantastic!

I got a peek at the spanish style bowl that Cass did when I stopped in at Ceramic Castle to drop off stuff for firing... looks even more incredible in person!

Here's a drawing I did for the show, it's called Last Bowl at Bahooka. Features tikis from the restaurant, plus the ubiquitous wooden salad bowl they use for serving tiki cocktails!

8x10, colored pencil on black paper.

I have some finished ceramics back too... I'll post photos when I can!

Looking forward to the show!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 187 replies