Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Tiki Nativity - Holiday fun at The 12 Foot Tiki

Pages: 1 28 replies

So, our tiki space doesn't really have a name, it's just where we live - but we got a wild hair that we needed a bar - so while my parents were visiting my Dad offered his construction skills and we built us a bar! Here's some pics of in progress and finished - plus our ever evolving tiki space.

Scary Hubby works with tools!

Mom & Dad being cute

The bar bones - 5/8 inch plywood

50 hot glue sticks later... We covered it with bamboo placemats deconstructed and staggered, so they made a nice pattern

Finished bar

Closeup of the top - awesome shag fabric covered with a piece of plexi

Closeup of the lights - We got a fixture and put it into some torches with a flicker bulb.

We're going to be putting up some shelves behind the bar - stuff is always a work in progress.

[ Edited by: creepykbear 2013-02-17 17:10 ]

[ Edited by: creepykbear 2013-04-15 22:00 ]

[ Edited by: creepykbear 2014-06-01 21:46 ]

[ Edited by: creepykbear 2015-12-13 10:12 ]

Q

Way to go! That's a nice looking bar and you can't go wrong with the shag fabric, right? Good on you for making it happen.

Nice clock too... :)

Aloha!

VERY NICE!

Oh yes, that bar is great! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Mahalo!

Chris

CKBear, Placemats indeed! How creative.I really like what you've done.
On the downside, you are on a slippery slope,probably took your initial step when you got your first mug.
Keep posting
David
Btw, is that ice bucket one of those 50's plastic with a rattan insert supercool ones?

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-02-10 10:54 ]

Thanks for the comments everyone. Inspires me to get the rest of that corner done - or as done as it'll be before we get something else to change.

The ice bucket is a vintage one with the rattan inner. In addition to tikis we seem to be accidentally collecting ice buckets - we got an awesome vintage teak one at a flea market this weekend.

Kool
Always nice to get some help on the build
Looks nice
How about a close up of your mugs
Have fun
Cheers

Jon

On 2013-02-10 16:33, creepykbear wrote:
Thanks for the comments everyone. Inspires me to get the rest of that corner done - or as done as it'll be before we get something else to change.

The ice bucket is a vintage one with the rattan inner. In addition to tikis we seem to be accidentally collecting ice buckets - we got an awesome vintage teak one at a flea market this weekend.

\
I warned you about the "slippery slope".
I also have a "Side" Collection of vintage barware that got started "accidentally". Check out vintage barware under "beyond tiki".
Cheers

This weekend we worked on a few of our wall displays. The wall color comes out badly in photos - it's more of a key lime, not so much of a yellowish - and I don't have enough extra lights yet for a tiki room sort of darkness.

Bookshelf top - overtaken by tiki -

Someday this will be all Shag shelf - on top of the liquor cabinet.

This is our color changing wall - maybe not tiki - but we love it! I can't believe I didn't get a photo of it with the lights on - next time. At the moment it's been stripped of a few mugs to add to the new display areas.

We picked up this great shelf from 1968 at a Flea Market last weekend

Plus got the Treasure Craft Fishes hung up. The seem to come home with us when we can't find any tiki at antique stores. The print is Joanna Nelson - I like the I Dream of Jeanie esque feeling.

And behind the bar

Closer up of behind the bar. We picked up the shelves at a yard sale for $3 a while back - painted them aqua to match the inside and top of the bar. I forgot what a pain it is to hang floating shelves! I think we're going to hang some barwear under the long shelf - so that area will be visually filled.

After adding that new storage looks like we need more mugs again! I'm sure that will be remedied shortly. We also need a flat tiki to put on the front of the bar - but I know we'll see what we really want eventually. I don't want to put something there just to fill the space.

Oh my gosh, what a fabulous mod collection you have. The bar is looking awesome, looking forward to more pictures and a cocktail. :drink:

Love the bar! You're off to a great start. And yup, it's a slippery slope. Definitely an addiction!

Looks FANTASTIC!! :)

Looking way kool
Love the colors
Cheers

Jon

Great new shelf too

Amazing progress! Really nice. Man, Are you hooked!
Cheers

C

This is all so gorgeous! Now I really MUST get at least one tiki mug. Where do you find them? I haunted thrift stores on Saturday, but no love.

On 2013-02-26 19:27, cyndigo wrote:
This is all so gorgeous! Now I really MUST get at least one tiki mug. Where do you find them? I haunted thrift stores on Saturday, but no love.

Cyndi, Overlook nothing in a thrift store. It's common to find the taller mugs mixed in with vases-the "mugs" are usually with the coffee mugs. Find them with the "Dustcatchers" (ceramic figures,souvenirs,memento's, etc.). I've found them among dish-ware, toys, store display's, even found one in a purse. One of my favorites had a plastic bouquet glued in it.
Lot's more tip's will follow from our fellow TC'ers.
Cheers, and good hunting

On 2013-02-26 19:27, cyndigo wrote:

Thanks cyndigo - we haunt the thrift shops, antique stores and of course when we wanna drop some cash ebay :) And as Umi said- keep your eyes out everywhere in the thrift shops. I know lots of the antique booth people around here haunt them too, so it's a right time, right place kinda thing.

After checking out the Rattan thread and seeing people's rattan fish tanks I got in a " I GOTTA HAVE ONE!" mood. Amazingly enough haunting craigslist for about a month - I found one! After some trials and tribulations in obtaining the piece, discovering that my leak fix I thought worked didn't after it was full of water and rocks inside the house and general pain in the buttness dealing with it - we decided to go with a faux terrarium / tiki display.

The curtains are Shag Hulikai Fabric. (Another finished project!).

We did end up getting a fish tank to hold fish too - but that's photos & a saga for another day - not quite done with that area yet.

Thanks to everyone for their ongoing encouragement!

P

Neat idea on re-purposing the fish tank as a display case! Well executed, too.

Your fish tank looks amazing, great job!

Not sure how I missed this thread originally. Great job on the bar.

You have a wonderful collection of mid-century stuff and are pulling it all together in one cool, swank place.

Love what you did with the fishtank. Those old fishtanks (be it rattan or not) can be a really hassle. I think your decision to turn it into display was great.

Dale

Strong work
Two tiki thumbs up

Jon

Fish tank looks fabulous...what a wonderful little home for those mugs to live in.

That tiki mug terrarium is great. I want one!

Great work.

We moved to a new place in January - with more room for tiki! Here's a few pictures of the new space

There's actually a fireplace behind this shelf - but we needed more wall space

Jane the bartender has since gotten a new dress... but our light up bar back wasn't as much as a pain to put up the second time!

Our back gate needed to be sanded and painted - but we gave it a quick tiki makeover instead.

Housewarming gift my mom found in Costa Rica

WOW...you sure did pull it together well. Nice gift from the Mother Unit.

Beautiful new space. Shame you had to cover that fireplace, but I completely understand needing wall space. :)

• Dale

I've not updated much due to grad school and life - but I was inspired by the Tiki Menorah and here is my version of a TIKITIVTY. We've also changed the name of our home bar to The 12 Foot Tiki = based on my towering tiki shelf.

Now THAT is a Tiki Christmas.

Pages: 1 28 replies