Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 212 replies

I just got off the phone with Suzanne Schneiders of the Bahooka and I'm sorry to say that our beloved Bahooka Restaurant is closing their doors. They do plan on keeping the name for a line of goods to be sold in supermarket settings. Well, sad news aside, Suzanne asked that I let you all know and that furthermore, they are selling off all of the many items throughout the establishment that aren't "glued to the walls". The Bahooka is located at 4501 N. Rosemead Blvd in Rosemead, CA and their tel is (626) 285-1241.

I think we all should collectively plan a night to visit the Bahooka to celebrate their significant history in this thing that we love called Tiki. If somebody would like to plan that out and start that thread, that'd be great!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Feb 15, 2013 12:03 PM

NNNNNN NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!!!!

Say it isn't so!!

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-02-15 12:04 ]

Aaaaaaaaaargh! That SUCKS!

They were my closest neighborhood Tiki bar for many years. And now I'm up here in Portland, so I probably won't get to visit one last time.

Somebody grab me one of those red plastic parrots before they hit the dumpster.

So sad, I'm going Saturday night.

Didn't The Hula Girls just film there for some show not too long ago?

I am in town next weekend and will be sure to stop in

Such a shame

I've never been ...

How truly sad that another historic spot is closing.

I'm glad that my entire family had a chance to experience it. It sucks that so many places are closing.

J

On 2013-02-15 12:00, MakeDaMug wrote:
...I think we all should collectively plan a night to visit the Bahooka to celebrate their significant history in this thing that we love called Tiki. If somebody would like to plan that out and start that thread, that'd be great!

I just spoke with the Bahooka and I'm planning to organize one last hurrah for the Tiki Community.

Update - This event is scheduled for Sun, Mar 10th at 5pm...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=44821&forum=17&0

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-02-15 14:44 ]

NNNNNNNNNnnnnnnnnnooooooooOOOOOOOOOO!

From the original post, it doesn't sound like there's a chance that they'd consider selling the business & location?
If so, that's really too bad.

Anyone know why the place is closing?

I feel like someone punched me in the chest. I love the Bahooka! This just makes me want to run out there and enjoy it as much as possible before it shuts down forever. Anyone want to join me tonight?

T

OH, just kill me. WHY ??????

DAMN....this just ruined my year.

I'm so sad...this is depressing!!

CJ

I think I'll go after work today around 5ish.

TS

This sucks. Such a staple in the TC realm of nautical/tiki/polypop haunts to visit! I am deeply saddened and bummed to hear this.
My first visit, I got lost after looking for the bathroom..(although it might've been the bowls we drank, but still)

again, this sucks.

What! well that just great.

Oh, this is horrible news!!! I am beyond sad. Nooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

So, SO sad to hear this! We won't be able to make it any sooner, but Trevor and I are planning to pay tribute on Sat March 2nd, for sure. :(

M
Murph posted on Fri, Feb 15, 2013 1:44 PM

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH! This sucks!

C

Really sad news...hard to even stomach right now. I hope they are also accounting for a future place for Rufus.

Caltiki Brent

What the *&^% is going to Happen to the big Carrot eating fish?

This is a real bummer. The one-two punch of an Oceanic Arts visit + lunch at Bahooka will be gone. I'm happy I've been able to experience Bahooka a number of times and introduce it to others, but this is a really big (and historical) loss. Less than a month to get in as many visits as possible I guess. We'll try to be there March 10 (can't make the March 2 date).

kevin

A

I hate to sound like a vulture, but any chance someone who knows the owners can talk them into providing their drink recipes? I mean, if they're not going to be open any longer ....

S

So sad! The Bahooka is such a treasure. I'm sorry to see it go.

Suzanne

J

Damn. I have never even been there and it depresses me. All the cool joints are going the way of the dodo bird.

I can't believe it, hope the Ventura Cats are up for a road trip

:cry: :cry: :cry: !!!

I feel my heart breaking into a million pieces. So many good times at Bahooka with so many of you :(
Bahooka always treated us Tikiphiles so very well. I will miss the Bahooka and it's friendly staff.

I'm so glad I got to visit Bahooka & so sad I can't be there to properly say goodbye. This is exactly why I've beem making pilgrimages to these places I love so much, even though they're 3000 miles away. I at least have memories, pictures & souvenirs, not just empty wishes that I had visited these places before they were gone. People, if you have not been to SoCal to experience the Tiki scene firsthand, you need to find a way. No excuses! Don't take for granted that these places will be there forever. Get out from behind your computers & experience life!!!!!!

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2013-02-15 15:52 ]

:( This is sad news ! I have had many good times at Bahooka .Looks like I will be making several trips to enjoy a grenade and pull the pin drink !

H

:o :cry:

Okay, who can step up and buy this place? Anyone? Can we pool our money? How much would it cost?

N

I interviewed Ms. Schneider this afternoon. This building was on the market for one day. I asked her why she didn't reach out to the tiki community to find a new sympathetic owner but she didn't have an answer...

My story:
http://www.lamag.com/citythink/askchris/2013/02/15/bahooka-the-craziest-most-wonderful-tiki-restaurant-in-la-to-close

[ Edited by: nichols 2013-02-15 15:15 ]

S

On 2013-02-15 14:59, Big Kahuna wrote:
I'm so glad I got to visit Bahooka & so sad I can't be there to properly say goodbye. This is exactly why I've beem making pilgrimages to these places I love so much, even though they're 3000 miles away. I at least have memories, pictures & souvenirs, not just empty wishes that I had visited these places before they were gone. People, if you have not been to SoCal to experience the Tiki scene firsthand, you need to find a way. No excuses! Don't take for granted that these places will be there forever. Get out from behind you computers & experience life!!!!!!

Spot on Big Kahuna. I'm 8000 miles away, in another country, and last year i took out a loan from the bank for this exact reason, to experience as many of the original Tiki bar establishments from Tikis heyday, before there was the chance that they might disappear.
Whilst the food and drinks we had left a lot to be desired, the venue was/is great and i was really well looked after by the manager when i was there. It's good to know that i got to see it once, but extremely sad knowing that it won't be there if i ever return.

P.S. I hope they find a good home for Rufus.

HT

DAMMIT!
I DIDN'T EVEN GET TO GO!

:(

This makes me eternally sad to lose another fantastic location before I could visit it. Checking flights now...

I'll be in LA the 23-25th this month! I hope they're still in one piece until then!

Sad news while I am on vacation. I wish I could make it this weekend, but I will have to go this month for sure. Very sad that this historic place is going to be gone soon. Sucks.

This is really sad news. Wow. that was the one place I went too a lot. Though I missed out on both the 40th anniversary mug and the other corral reef one. I do have Rufus... speaking of which, what is going to happen to all those fishes?

sucky

what about Pacu?
the big fishy guy?

have a handgrenade with pin pulled for me!!

don the viking helmets !! barbarians at the gate !! let the plundering begin!! arrrrrrghhh !!!

I hope the new owners aren't going to sell the fish to their customers to eat them !!

This is sad news. I have had nothing but fond memory's there. We should have one last visit to The Bahooka !

"The new owner wants the building and the liquor license . . ."
Sad news. I visited within 24 hours within learning of it years ago.
After 46 years, it has withstood the test of time, but not the owners' respect,
Not even after years of paying rent.

The "silver lining" is a gorgeous Hawaiian plantation-style restaurant opened nearby:
http://www.canoehouserestaurant.com/index.html

Another OG Tiki Est in the history books. This is a real bummer. I will do my best to go there one last time before they close.

T

I am so totally bummed out to hear the news... and getting more bummed out the more I think about it... After Tonga Hut, Bahookah is the tiki place Manuel and I have visited the most...

So sad to hear it will be no more... a great tiki destination in an area (that stretch of Rosemead Boulevard that had a vintage tiki restaurant and tiki apartments) that was totally tiki from the heyday of tiki...

...And Bahooka was a great way to extend a tiki weekend, on the way back from the desert (Mojave Oasis or Caliente) or San Diego (Tiki Oasis)... stopping off for lunch or dinner at Bahooka was a must... heck, we could even work out a stop at Bahooka from a return trip from Disneyland... or even Don's!

Dang, I'm getting teary eyed just thinking of all the GREAT times we've had at Bahooka... Tiki Magazine release parties, Tikiyaki, New Year's Eve, new mug releases, Tikis & Terrors (going WAY back... and where I first had the inkling that tiki was something to which I could really connect and explore)... and even just saying let's go have dinner at Bahooka... So many memories that I now realize will only be memories, not the ongoing experience I complacently expected to always be there...

I'll cherish the memories, but lament what I will forever miss... Just thankful we had the opportunity to visit so many times!

I bet the Bahooka is responsible for many a child forming a positive impression of tiki places. When I was there on vacation with friends in 2005, one of the staff set my girlfriend's niece's milk on fire via a suspended crouton soaked in alcohol. To that little girl, it was magic and I know she associated it with the concept of a dimly lit restaurant full of colorful lamps and wooden gods.

V

that is just so sad. Why, why, why ? When will they understand that those places are history, and they should be preserved ? I don't care about new owners, but just keep the place how it was, keep the chef, keep it alive. Damn.

T

Too bad.
All the old skool joints going out sucks.
Some of the new ones got that new tiki smell that for me just don't cut it.

But... as a side note this thread was posted one day ago and has 2,322 hits and is three
pages long.
Yup Tikicentral is dying, Nobodys commin here no more.:)

T

It hurts my Tiki soul that I'll never have the opportunity to visit the Bahooka... no experiences or memories, only the mug as an artifact of another lost kingdom of faux Polynesia...

-Tom

Man, this is such a bummer. We JUST filmed a segment for a show called "World's Weirdest Restaurants" that was due to air on The Food Network (albeit in Canada). It could have sparked much more interest in the place. I guess the family needed money quickly for a medical thing though... What a shame. Visit and enjoy your local tiki bar. You never know when these places will shut down.
I'm sincerely gonna miss this eclectic place and all of the fish and decor...

T

Did the twofer New year's week. Went to Oceanic Arts, then our ONE time visit to the Bahooka. Had some drinks took a lot of pics, but had NO idea they were going out of business. So glad we made it!!! Thortiki

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 212 replies