Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

The Bahooka is closing their doors March 10th

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 212 replies

OGR

Very sad indeed, another one that will not be on my "must see" list when I finally make it out West again. BK, Well put and great advice...hey if you thinking about firing up the AWESOME '59 and heading out to the coast, I'm kinda' on the way. :) OGR

[ Edited by: Or Got Rum? 2013-02-16 10:45 ]

J

On 2013-02-16 06:53, TikiTomD wrote:
It hurts my Tiki soul that I'll never have the opportunity to visit the Bahooka... no experiences or memories, only the mug as an artifact of another lost kingdom of faux Polynesia...

-Tom

Tom, you do still have the opportunity, the Bahooka is open for 3 more weeks !!

Even for a Tiki bar (Nautical Beachcomber fish tank really), the place is unique. There will never be another place like it again. Plus it was an event there which inspired the Bigbro to write the BOT. The rest is history !!

If I could go back in time and book a last minute flight to visit the Kahiki before it closed, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

When will you have another opportunity to close down (forever) a historic Tiki bar with at least a hundred other kindred Tiki souls ??

The Bahooka usually closes at 9pm on Sundays but on that last night they're willing to stay open until 2am for us. It should be a night to remember.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-02-16 10:05 ]

My birthday is March 10th so I booked a table for 20 at 7:30. See ya there to feed Rufus one last time.

TO EVERYONE OUTSIDE OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA...

This is why you need to go to your local tiki establishments, spend some money, and let the owners know you appreciate them and want their business to go on.

You can't just be a passive "tiki fan" and expect wonderful places like Bahooka to always be there.

So if you're in Portland OR, Washington DC, Pittsburgh PA or Florida or Wisconsin or places in between and can't make it to Rosemead CA in the next few weeks, go out tonight to your favorite tapa cloth-decorated purveyor of fruity, flaming, rum-soaked cocktails and raise a toast to the Bahooka and all dearly departed tiki destinations.

ALOHA BAHOOKA!

The saddest thing to me, as PolyPop pointed out last night, is that the Bahooka isn't selling because a lack of business (but due to the owner's family need for medical expenses and that they were ready to retire). So, it could have been sold in a manner that would have kept the decor/atmosphere intact.

There didn't seem to be much of a chance for competition, though, as the venue sold after being on the market for one day.

Solid words spoken Robtikiti, unfortunately I guess that means I'm staying home again :( That is why i have to live vicariously through you fine folks on TC for the time being....please relish your BAHOOKA memories...and take lots of pics. OGR

[ Edited by: Or Got Rum? 2013-02-16 10:44 ]

This is sad news. If the owners are doing this because they need the cash, then perhaps some of the local Tiki folks can help them post a list of the items that they want to sell that are "not nailed to the wall". Set sale or auction. That way, they can get cash and we can support them. I've been there a half dozen times and loved each visit. The first time was stopping there for drinks, then heading to Trader Vics when it was in the corner building of the Hilton, then ending up at the Tiki Ti. What's best is that I can even remember most of the evening. I may pop on by tomorrow or Monday for one more grenade with the pin pulled.

Ugh... this is incredibly depressing.

Old, Weird, America is dying.

We visited Bahooka for the first (and, evidently, last) time this past summer when a last-minute
deal prompted a whirlwind trip to LA to visit as many tiki bars (and other interesting places) as
we could find the time for.

Bahooka was easily in our top 5 (and we went to something like 25-30 places.) We spent several hours there, and learned some of the history of the place from the friendly bartender who, as it turns out, was the owner.

It is CERTAINLY the only place in the world where these two interests intersect:

If there was any way we could make it back that way for a proper send off, we would. On the bright side, we'll be going to Chef Shangri La tonight, so not all is gloom and doom.

Say goodbye for us tiki homies who couldn't be there...

--Pete

On 2013-02-16 11:17, TwoChordTom wrote:
If the owners are doing this because they need the cash, then perhaps some of the local Tiki folks can help them post a list of the items that they want to sell that are "not nailed to the wall".

As per Capt. Falernum above and the LA Mag piece, they're not "going out of business" as much as they just sold it.

Obviously, we can't judge. They had their own personal needs to look after, not the needs of a bunch of festively dressed alcoholics. If they got the price on this listing -- http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18016418/4501-Rosemead-Boulevard-Rosemead-CA/ -- then hopefully they will be able to cover all of their medical and retirement needs. Anything made off of selling the decor will be a bonus.

http://www.lamag.com/citythink/askchris/2013/02/15/bahooka-the-craziest-most-wonderful-tiki-restaurant-in-la-to-close

On 2013-02-16 10:28, robtikiti wrote:
TO EVERYONE OUTSIDE OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA...

This is why you need to go to your local tiki establishments, spend some money, and let the owners know you appreciate them and want their business to go on.

You can't just be a passive "tiki fan" and expect wonderful places like Bahooka to always be there.

So if you're in Portland OR, Washington DC, Pittsburgh PA or Florida or Wisconsin or places in between and can't make it to Rosemead CA in the next few weeks, go out tonight to your favorite tapa cloth-decorated purveyor of fruity, flaming, rum-soaked cocktails and raise a toast to the Bahooka and all dearly departed tiki destinations.

ALOHA BAHOOKA!

Preaching to the choir, I would just like to include Calif. also, as all our Tiki Palaces
need to be supported every where!

On 2013-02-16 14:02, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Preaching to the choir, I would just like to include Calif. also, as all our Tiki Palaces
need to be supported every where!

Agreed. My exhortation was more focused at those lamenting their inability to visit Bahooka for geographical reasons.

Though other Southern California locations have closed for lack of business, this does not seem to be the case for Bahooka.

Very sad to find out this news yesterday. Glad to have had as many as as we did there even though we didn't live in the area.

H

Being new to this site !
Where can i find a compiled list of the Tiki bars, resturants and motels in SoCal.
Then when I venture out further where to go?
Thanks
Harvey

For a list of California's past and present tiki locations...

Humuhumu's Critiki: California

Perhaps others can provide some highlites and "must see" locations.

F

Maybe it's because I'm in commercial lending and jaded, but they're only selling this place for $3.3MM? That's it? I mean, it's way more bones than I have in my pocket, but I'm surprised there's isn't someone or some venturous consortium of dude that want to poll some money into buying this. Not even someone with a "Hollywood" entertainment equity investor?

I know there's alot more to owning and running an establishment liekthis than just coughing up the cash to buy it, but if it wasn't running in the red, that would seem to bode well for another investor to buy it from the family.

F

ok, so I just read the LA Magazine article and- well, scratch my previous post since the restaurant SOLD after one day on the market. I mean, that's good for the economy, but so much for my hopes of a new owner swooping in to carry on the Bahooka's legacy.

Yeah, it sold quickly because hell, buying a prime location like that and getting the liquor license was far cheaper than what hoops you'd have to go through otherwise.

Went there last night. Man was it packed. It seemed like business per usual. They were well out of any mugs. Though I knew they were out of the Ruffus mugs around January.

Gotta go a couple more times before it's a final farewell. Gonna miss that place.

Word is a Chinese company bought it to convert to a "Authentic Chinese restaurant".

TM

Great, another "seafood palace"....at least we know what will happen to the fish tanks! :(

J

Hey it's better than a Wallgreens, right ?? !!

Face it, the Bahooka merely went through the standard lifespan of your typical family run business. This one just happened to be Tiki. We should feel fortunate the Bahooka lasted for as long as it did, a true anomaly especially for a Mid-century style Nautical/Beachcomber restaurant.

The family worked hard to keep the place going during the bad old devolution days, and before the Tiki Revival and the embracement of ironic kitsch. I wish them well.

Edited for spelling.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-02-17 08:25 ]

T

Had dinner at Bahooka last night on our way back from Disneyland... we were racing to get there before the 10:30 closing, but lilusako, who we were meeting there, got to the restaurant first and told us there was an hour wait, and Bahooka would stay open to accommodate the crowd.

We got there at 10:15, and the place as still packed! People coming and going, and lots of people taking photos. We got drinks at the bar while we waited for our table, and were seated at 10:45... Chico was our server, and he told us at one point, there was a 2.5 hour wait, but people stuck it out, and kept on comin'! He said he was beat!

We didn't leave until almost 1am, and on our way out, we saw people still at tables.

It's great to see people coming out for their last chance to experience Bahooka, but it's still so sad... gotta keep remembering the good times to keep my spirits up!

Go while you still can!!!

Two years ago, I spent some of one of the best days in my life at the Bahooka. It is truly one of a kind. Someone NEEDS to purchase that anti-aircraft gun outside for their home bar. It would look great on a front lawn alongside a flaming Moai...

This just in: Word from the bar (I'm literally at the bar posting this) is that there are two offers on the table. One is the conversion to another restaurant, the other is to buy the place intact.

So there may yet be hope!

Man, I wish someone will buy it out right. I'm not going to hate on them. I love the place, but someone new to re-do the menu to actually make it not just "soak up alcohol" food and make it real poly-pop cuisine would be amazing.

I want to hold out hope that someone takes it off their hands and avoids the situation of Hong Kong Inn that is happening to these family restaurant establishments now that the generation is at retirement age.

Another fabulous Tiki Bar I have not been too...boo hoo. I am sorry to hear it is being sold in order to afford healthcare for a sick family member, that has got to be such a challenge for them, I wish them the best. I hope many of the Tikiphiles will link up with the decor, perhaps sales of those items will also help the owners in leaving. Take lot's of pictures as history is sadly slipping into the dark brine.

J

Actually Marlene, it's not so much the money that's needed as it is having to manage both a restaurant and family health issues at the same time.

On a lighter note, I call dibs on this !!...

T

Yea, this is one of the few occasions when a tiki establishment is NOT closing due to lack of business....which makes it even sadder and more ironic.

Well bless them for putting family first...that has got to be such a hard decision.

B

we went last night & i the bartender said they have 2 offers: 1 is a chinese restaurant deal & the other is from the owner of a chic swanky downtown l.a bar

B

why are they so secretive about making their drinks?
was anyone as confused as i was the 1st time i went there & saw how coca cola is a tiki drink ingredient ? & red wine?

J

My money's on the chic swanky downtown l.a. bar owner !! Go "chic swanky" Go !!

With any luck it's Andrew Meieran. He did a pretty good job on the Edison and is currently renovating Clifton's.

He might be ahead of the curve. I always knew Rosemead had the potential to be the next "IT" neighborhood.

At least the Tropical cocktails will be good under his ownership. :)

B

On 2013-02-18 18:36, JOHN-O wrote:

With any luck it's Andrew Meieran. He did a pretty good job on the Edison and is currently renovating Clifton's.

He might be ahead of the curve. I always knew Rosemead had the potential to be the next "IT" neighborhood.

-------------- did you know he has a tiki bar planned for cliftons?
but i dont know if it will open after cliftons re-opens or not..
i just hope that the waiters & cooks etc remain employed there....

J

Funny you should say that Belinda. :) Stay tuned.

B

On 2013-02-18 19:09, JOHN-O wrote:
Funny you should say that Belinda. :) Stay tuned.

------------- oooooooh !

H

I was there tonight as well. The bartender and the lady working at the office both said they had two offers and one buyer is going to leave the place as is and not change anything.. so they are not sure what is happening and who will get the place..
I had the zombie there for the fist time, wow it is strong and not too bad...

On 2013-02-18 19:03, belinda wrote:

On 2013-02-18 18:36, JOHN-O wrote:

-------------- did you know he has a tiki bar planned for cliftons?
but i dont know if it will open after cliftons re-opens or not..
i just hope that the waiters & cooks etc remain employed there....

It feels like it has been forever. When is Clifton's re-opening?!!?

[ Edited by: tikijackskeleton 2013-02-18 23:40 ]

Carol and I drove out from Thousand Oaks tonight to get in another visit to Bahooka before it was gone. This was our fourth visit in the past year and we sat down for some Mai Tais and a Cobra Strike. Credit to our waiter (name?) who took my Mai Tai back twice for the bartender to get the rum/mix balanced right (he received the generous tip). Parking lot was full and the place was packed out; they had huge birthday parties in both the two big rooms! We talked to Darlene, the lovely lady at the cashier window, about the place closing and she said the story actually broke before they were ready to announce it. As a result, the place has been a madhouse. Like John O. we, too, hope that someone like Mike Meyerlein will buy this amazing place, fix it up, and preserve it for future generations to be amazed at. We'd also definitely like to attend a farewell(?) party with the rest of TC Nation on March 10. Hopefully instead of a farewell, we'll be celebrating some positive news!

Let us know the details when you can?
Glenn & Carol

SORRY! I badly mangled the spelling of Andrew Meieran's name in my post above. Even if he's not the potential L.A. club owner considering buying Bahooka, apologies are all mine...

TM

On 2013-02-18 22:52, 20th Century Man wrote:
. Credit to our waiter (name?) who took my Mai Tai back twice for the bartender to get the rum/mix balanced right

Really? Twice? I am sure you are very nice people, but being a former restaurant manager, this kind of stuff really bothers me. it causes needless work for the staff, who mostly are getting paid minimum wage. When I go to a restaurant, unless there is a fly or hair in my food or drink, I am not sending anything back. If the food or drink is not good, I just don't eat there any more.

J

On 2013-02-18 22:46, tikijackskeleton wrote:
It feels like it has been forever. When is Clifton's re-opening?!!?

Late 2013 or early 2014, although it may be a phased approach. The Tiki Bar, which will be named the "South Seas" (Yay !!) was originally supposed to be on the Regency-style 3rd floor, and then the basement, will now be on the 4th floor which used to house office space.

And sending your Tiki drink back twice at the Bahooka ?? That's funny. Almost like having a fast food joint redo your burger twice because it was overdone or underdone.

Don't be pulling that shit on March 10th. Haha. :D

And yes Lucas, Glenn and Carol are VERY nice people. :)

So bummed... was planning to visit the Bahooka for the first time on our trip south in April. :(

H

This is what I heard today, not sure about anything anymore. Clifton's owner is going to use the decor of Bahooka's on the second floor of the new Clifton's which is going to be a tike-style bar.

So floors 2 and 4 are now going to be Tiki themed. Boy, how the rumors fly. I wish they would just keep Bahooka's in Rosemead. Having it near all those Polynesian apartments is always a nice drive.

Bahooka just posted on Facebook that they will no longer be taking reservations and to expect a several hours wait to eat on the weekend.

Hey just been posting this everywhere since getting back from Bahooka this evening and talking to some of the waiters.. the real fate for the place could be a parking lot not a restaurant... IF this is true please spread the word. There is not a definite buyer just offers right now.. Maybe there is someone out there that will step up and save it.

facebook post below...

Just found out the legendary Bahooka tiki restaurant in Rosemead CA is closing on March 10th.. a sad day for us and all of the ideas that came from their fire bowls. At this point there is not a definite sale but some offers pending. One offer is it to be a parking lot for the hospital nearby. One seasoned waiter seems to think that might be the real fate in the end. Spread the word, maybe there is an investor out there that can restore this landmark and keep it alive for the future? If not be sure to make it out there by March 10th cause that is it.

UGH!!!!! Not knowing the true fate is jsut torture!

JB

On 2013-02-21 03:33, DeadMeadow wrote:
One offer is it to be a parking lot for the hospital nearby. One seasoned waiter seems to think that might be the real fate in the end.

This is, in fact, true.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 212 replies