Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Deadhead Rum

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

It is a neat bottle! The rum is a bit thin? in flavor. I only tried the 50ml.

You're right; cool bottle

So I guess it's a lower shelf mixing rum.
Who cares when you have a bottle this cool? I must have one! I wonder if they'll be available in Canada?
If anyone is interested in doing a swap, PM me!

edited to fix a dumb auto-correct mistake

Great Minds Drink Alike

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2013-02-18 16:27 ]

On 2013-02-17 18:18, Tikiwahine wrote:
Who cares when you have a bottle this cool? I must have one! I wonder if they'll be available in Canada?
If anyone is note rested in doing a swap, PM me!

The Deadhead Rum website has a where you can purchase it button or you can buy it online from Zee Tequila. I don't know if they have a Canada shipping option.
http://www.deadheadrum.com
http://www.zeetequila.com/products/DEADHEAD®-Rum.html

Crystal – light bodied white rum features the balanced flavors of sweet sugar-cane molasses & pure vanilla.

Aged Spice – medium sweet, with vanilla, cream and oak. Hints of cinnamon, clove and allspice are present.

Aged – sumptuous richness and depth, perfectly balanced with vanilla and caramel, hints of smokiness and char from the oak barrel are apparent with minor notes of orange zest and figs.

DEADHEAD™ rum will be available in: AZ, CA, GA, NJ, NM, NV, NY, OK, OR, PA, RI, TN, TX, WA.

Bad name, though.

Nobody will ship booze to Canada. Actually, K&L Wines and Spirits will but you have to buy in case quantity (it can be mixed variety), shipping is ~$150 and by the time it passes through the LCBO and they add their fees, the case cost pretty much doubles. So a case of booze that costs say $300 at K&L will end up being around $750 by the time it gets in your hands in Ontario. There's nothing I want that bad. But I don't really care that much about the rum, it's that bottle I like. If empties start turning up for sale on ebay or something, I might grab one.

I punched in my info, and shipping to Canada for one bottle via UPS is $34.73. Less than expected! Still, I may wait until my next cross border visit. We'll see how much my rum bottle lust takes over. :D

Looks like it is one of the sponsors for Tiki Caliente

Then they must offer a version with a pith helmet

V

shipping to France is $150 !!!

It's kinda funny that this topic came up. These guys just started following me on Twitter. I posted a comment on Facebook saying that if the LCBO ever carried this, that I'd buy a case just for the cool factor. I'm seriously considering putting in a request for pricing to see how much a case will cost as a special order. I'm not optimistic: I once submitted a request for pricing for a case of Lemon Hart, and the LCBO quoted $40 a bottle. And Lemon Hart is bottled in Newfoundland!

I like how there are three Canadians clamoring for this stuff!
I guess we like our shrunken heads and rum!

On 2013-02-18 16:26, Tikiwahine wrote:
I punched in my info, and shipping to Canada for one bottle via UPS is $34.73. Less than expected! Still, I may wait until my next cross border visit. We'll see how much my rum bottle lust takes over. :D

Their shipping calculator may give you a price but I'll be very surprised if they are actually willing to ship it to you. I'm betting you'll get an email letting you know why they are unable to fill your order. But if you do try it and they actually ship it and customs doesn't confiscate it, definitely report back and let us know.

So, just for a laugh, I contacted the LCBO and told them that they should check out this rum. I also told them that it might be a big seller simply because of the bottle design. Silly me - I must have forgotten that I live in Ontario (which is SO progressive). This was their reply:

"When a customer suggests that we stock a particular product, we pass this on to the category manager, who can evaluate suggestions when they are considering new listings - and so your suggestion has gone to the Rum manager, and we're always after new and unusual products that will prove popular with our customers.

This rum looks great, and it certainly has a unique story behind it, although the name 'deadhead' and the (rather apt) imagery of a dead head may make it tricky to stock on corporate social responsibility grounds.

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us.

Cheers from the LCBO."

Remember folks, we're referring to an organization that resisted stocking Crystal Head Vodka for the exact same reason.

Oh, one more thing: if you're thinking of ordering any spirits, you'll HAVE to go through the LCBO. Minimum order is one case. It sucks, but it's the law.

On 2013-02-19 10:34, Tikiwahine wrote:

I love shrunken heads. Guess I'm just twisted that way. :wink: I have two of 'em (albeit fake) hanging in my home bar. Check out my profile for a link to my Flickr set called "The Bar So Far".

And yes, I love rum too. :)

RE:

On 2013-02-21 06:18, Kahuna Tiki wrote:
"so your suggestion has gone to the Rum manager"

OK, that may be one of the coolest job titles I've seen in long time!

On 2013-02-21 10:30, Loki-Tiki wrote:
RE:

On 2013-02-21 06:18, Kahuna Tiki wrote:
"so your suggestion has gone to the Rum manager"

OK, that may be one of the coolest job titles I've seen in long time!

I know!!! I was discussing this with a buddy of mine earlier, and he said "Can you just imagine the free samples that they must receive from companies competing for shelf space in their stores?" The mind boggles....

Hi-Times has this in Orange County, Forest sez it is decent rum, I myself have not yet picked up any.

On 2013-02-21 06:26, Kahuna Tiki wrote:

On 2013-02-19 10:34, Tikiwahine wrote:

I love shrunken heads. Guess I'm just twisted that way. :wink: I have two of 'em (albeit fake) hanging in my home bar. Check out my profile for a link to my Flickr set called "The Bar So Far".

And yes, I love rum too. :)

Excellent!!! Nothing wrong with a 'little head' now and then! :wink:
Will definitely check it out!

On 2013-02-21 13:40, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Hi-Times has this in Orange County, Forest sez it is decent rum, I myself have not yet picked up any.

Hey Lance, Dunno if I'd pay 30 bucks for a "decent"rum. I'd expect an excellent product although that bottle is very cool.
Cheers,
David

I hear you, David!

On 2013-02-21 19:05, Tikiwahine wrote:
Excellent!!! Nothing wrong with a 'little head' now and then! :wink:

Tikiwahine, this statement alone makes it a requirement for me to buy a bottle for my bar!

I'm curious to give this rum a try. My initial reaction was that it'll look good on my shelf. I'm wary of the need to differentiate via (admittedly) nice packaging rather than by taste. But I'll reserve any real judgement until I taste it this Sunday at Tonga Hut's Rum Rhum Club and compare it to other $30 bottles of rum.

Pity about the name though. No need to conjure the ghosts of jam bands past.

kevin

We sampled Deadhead Rum neat and in 2 cocktails at the last Rum Rhum Club at Tonga Hut. It's an attractive bottle housing a pretty good amber rum. It's a light gold color in the glass, and my first impressions when sipping it was that it reminded me of a Dominican rum...crisp and dry, with a smooth finish that seems quick, but lingers a bit with a small amount of heat. There was a bit of vanilla aroma to the rum in the glass. I'm not great at picking out particular flavor aspects but I had in my notes from the session that it had characteristics of a spiced rum without tasting like a true spiced rum. I was surprised to hear Forrest tell us that this was a pot-stilled rum because I so closely associate pot-stilled rums with Jamaican rums and their tendency to have a certain funk that this rum did not have. Deadhead is a rum from Mexico, barrel aged for 6 years.

As for mixing it in cocktails, I think it would provide an interesting challenge. Because it closely resembles a Dominican rum, and I have little experience trying to mix with that style of rum, I think it would be a tough nut to crack at first...taking away some of that dryness without losing what makes the rum what it is. Of the 2 cocktails we tried, I found the second one more to my liking. It was mixed with citrus and a tamarind chile syrup.

I enjoyed sipping this rum neat and will continue to do so once I procure a full bottle. Who knows, once I have a bit more practice mixing with a rum of this type I may even try it in a cocktail of my own.

kevin

On 2013-02-17 18:18, Tikiwahine wrote:
If anyone is interested in doing a swap, PM me!

edited to fix a dumb auto-correct mistake

Great Minds Drink Alike

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2013-02-18 16:27 ]

I'm not just another pretty face in the crowd. I am a rum born from a blend of molasses and fresh sugar cane juice, then I am slowly fermented and double-distilled in pot stills. I am charcoal filtered prior to being matured in sherry casks for a minimum of 6 years. In contrast to my rather ugly face, my spirit is a genuine thing of beauty. I have a rich amber hue, an impossibly light body and a bouquet saturated with the aromas of coffee, chocolate, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg, all of which carry through to the palate along with the flavors of cloves, anise and caramel. My long, spicy finish seals the deal. At 80 proof, I am skillfully balanced between dry and semisweet. I have been weighed, I have been measured and been found wicked good -- earning a silver and gold medal for the spirit in my tsantsa.

S

I have never been able to sip rum straight before...until I got a chance to drink this Deadhead Rum at Tonga Hut. It was delicious. Really enjoyed the rum straight and of course in the 2 amazing cocktails Marie dreamed up (esp the chili/tamarind one--holy crap that was divine!)

Thanks for the tasting and for giving us the sample bottles AND the chance to buy the bottles from you direct.

Hope to see you up at Forbidden Island for a NorCal tasting soon!

The dreaded OLCC (Oregon Liquor Overlords) has Deadhead Rum listed - one 750ml variety (no details which one but the list is over $40) and the 50ml size - for March, but haven't seen any on the shelves yet. Anybody happen to know if All-Star Liquors has it in stock on the Cali border? I need to make a run anyway to get 1.75s of Appleton V/X, Mt Gays, some El Dorados not sold in OR, etc...

We had such a good time with you all at the Rum Rhum Club! See you soon1!

On 2013-03-04 21:04, Coffee Pirate wrote:
The dreaded OLCC (Oregon Liquor Overlords) has Deadhead Rum listed - one 750ml variety (no details which one but the list is over $40) and the 50ml size - for March, but haven't seen any on the shelves yet. Anybody happen to know if All-Star Liquors has it in stock on the Cali border? I need to make a run anyway to get 1.75s of Appleton V/X, Mt Gays, some El Dorados not sold in OR, etc...

Deadhead will be available in Oregon in a couple of weeks. In California, the only stores up north are Bevmos. By the end of the month, Deadhead will be available in Canada (Alberta), NV, PA, OR, TX, IL, OK, NJ, New Zealand and Japan. Please email me directly if you need more information through the Deadhead website :) Thank you all for your support!

T

On 2013-03-07 19:21, Deadheadrum wrote:

Deadhead will be available in Oregon in a couple of weeks. In California, the only stores up north are Bevmos. By the end of the month, Deadhead will be available in Canada (Alberta), NV, PA, OR, TX, IL, OK, NJ, New Zealand and Japan. Please email me directly if you need more information through the Deadhead website :) Thank you all for your support!

Umm, it's already in NV. I bought some 2 weeks ago. Good stuff. looks good on my shelf too.

S

I brought my Tonga Hut purchased bottle to Forbidden Island last night and let some people have a taste. The general consensus was 1. it was delicious and 2. you guys need to come up this way for an official tasting soon!

On a sidenote I dropped my bottle when I got home--maybe slippery hands but more than likely too much booze--and the plastic shrunken head popped off but the bottle remained unbroken. I just snapped the shrunken head back together and it was good as new.

Have to say having an unbreakable bottle of rum is key to my way of drinking :)

Got mine a few days ago, immediately opened and sipped it neat. Very good flavor! I'm looking forward to sharing this some of my rum buddies....

Awesome! I'll ask a couple of the better state stores to give me a call when it comes in. And if that gets delayed, Bevmo is opening in Vancover, WA in April.

D
Dagg posted on Fri, Mar 8, 2013 1:48 PM

Any plans to get this into British Columbia stores?

On 2013-03-04 21:04, Coffee Pirate wrote:

Hoorah! I will be on the look out here in Alberta. Thanks for the good news, Deadhead. Great looking bottle by the way.

Snagged a couple of bottles this evening at Hi Times. Gonna give it a taste test tomorrow night with Tikivato and our wives. Might be an invalid test however as we'll be going to Trader Sam's first. Written report on Sunday.
Cheers

D
Dagg posted on Sat, Mar 9, 2013 10:36 AM

On 2013-03-08 22:05, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Snagged a couple of bottles this evening at Hi Times. Gonna give it a taste test tomorrow night with Tikivato and our wives. Might be an invalid test however as we'll be going to Trader Sam's first. Written report on Sunday.
Cheers

Looking forward to your review.

Not so much a review as it is a "decorating suggestion" post :)

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=42546&forum=17&vpost=668736

BK

Closet retailer to Boston is 211.9 miles away!!!!

Sorry I'm late with my opinion (fwiw) on Deadhead rum.
Tikivato opened his bottle before we hit Trader Sam's last Saturday. We both had a shot in a Plastic "skull" shot glass from the House of Blues.
At first I thought I misread the label and had gotten tequila instead of rum. I let it breathe a bit and the first impression I got was earthy,grassy, not unpleasant but definitely not like the rums I lean towards. It quickly warmed me up although this rum has very little bite.
I have not opened my bottle but I plan on using a small snifter (glass) for my next tasting-We'll see if I change my opinion. I prefer hints of caramel-toffee, vanilla, and oak in my rum. The bottle of Deadhead will look cool in my Happy Talk Lounge while I'm sipping my Zaya. Tikvato liked it-he had it with an ice cube. Both he and Rosemary said that they had thoughts of TQ at the first sip. My wife CeCe didn't like it. She never drinks anything straight. She prefers a well crafted Mai Tai .
Bottom line for me; Deadhead is okay but there are better rums at 30 bucks if you want a sipper.
Cheers

In Illinois, Midwest wine and spirits carries deadhead. problem is they don't sell to the general public. Look for it in local stores soon. i asked binny's to look into carrying it as well.... I'm gonna wait till i can purchase it off the shelf as opposed to wasting money on shipping.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34103&forum=12&vpost=486406&hilite=mogumbu%20shrunken%20head%20lamp

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2013-03-13 05:45 ]

On 2013-03-13 05:43, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
I'm gonna wait till i can purchase it off the shelf as opposed to wasting money on shipping.

But the bottle looks so cool! Gotta... have... now...!!! :lol:

D
Dagg posted on Thu, Mar 14, 2013 8:29 PM

On 2013-03-13 01:01, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
Sorry I'm late with my opinion (fwiw) on Deadhead rum.
Tikivato opened his bottle before we hit Trader Sam's last Saturday. We both had a shot in a Plastic "skull" shot glass from the House of Blues.
At first I thought I misread the label and had gotten tequila instead of rum. I let it breathe a bit and the first impression I got was earthy,grassy, not unpleasant but definitely not like the rums I lean towards. It quickly warmed me up although this rum has very little bite.
I have not opened my bottle but I plan on using a small snifter (glass) for my next tasting-We'll see if I change my opinion. I prefer hints of caramel-toffee, vanilla, and oak in my rum. The bottle of Deadhead will look cool in my Happy Talk Lounge while I'm sipping my Zaya. Tikvato liked it-he had it with an ice cube. Both he and Rosemary said that they had thoughts of TQ at the first sip. My wife CeCe didn't like it. She never drinks anything straight. She prefers a well crafted Mai Tai .
Bottom line for me; Deadhead is okay but there are better rums at 30 bucks if you want a sipper.
Cheers

Cool thanks for sharing your impressions.

On 2013-03-13 06:07, AceExplorer wrote:

On 2013-03-13 05:43, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
I'm gonna wait till i can purchase it off the shelf as opposed to wasting money on shipping.

But the bottle looks so cool! Gotta... have... now...!!! :lol:

I agree. I was waiting on Arrow Wine in Dayton or Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati to get it in, but I decided to break down and pay the $15 shipping to get it now. I've been patiently waiting for a while now.

HT

IIIIIIIII can't wait to get mine!

I
Iscah posted on Wed, Apr 24, 2013 7:44 AM

Of course Hi Times has it. I can't even say how much I miss living in So Cal.

The only place they claim to have it in Maryland is at a Total Wine in Potomac. Which is not actually a store, it's the corporate headquarters. Grrrr. To the best of my knowledge, buying online isn't an option either, since shipping alcohol to MD is illegal.

Friend of mine checked her local liquor shop (different county, so not run by a government ABC) and they're saying they can't even order the stuff.

I may have to talk my partner into making a run at HiTimes when she's out in So Cal next month. =)

HT

A big mahalo to my new friends at Deadhead!

From left to right: Deadhead Cup, Keychain, 750ml Bottle, and 50ml travel bottle.

Deadhead Rum still isn't on the shelves of OR. Went to Bevmo's grand opening in Vancouver. Terrible rum selection and no Deadhead. Since St. James lost US distro, I'm scrambling to stock up and find a suitable Martinique rum replacement, so $$ going towards rum is already tied up. If I make a Cali booze run this spring/summer maybe I'll pick it up then.

Pages: 1 2 68 replies