Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Naughty Coconut - Cyndigo's newbie tiki bar

Pages: 1 31 replies

C

Hello,

I have a space and a few pieces of art that seem to call out for tiki. Would you take a look and perhaps give me some advice?

The whole flickr set is here:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjE2hZvx

Most of the things were picked up in Africa/PNG, so it's not really tiki, but I just bought a roll of palapa thatch that's 30" by 7' (something similar is here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thatch-30-x-10-Palapa-Palm-Tiki-Bar-Luau-BBQ-Commercial-Grade-4910-/221182303014) and I thought maybe I could makes some sort of awning for the bar.

Can anyone tell me how to fashion the palapa? I have access to tools but am not sure how to cut the roll without it fraying, and have never done anything like this before.

Also any suggestions are welcome. There's an electrical outlet behind the bar. I would love to put in some sort of water feature but don't have any great ideas. Cheers from Colorado, and thanks so much!

[ Edited by: cyndigo 2013-02-18 10:54 ]

T

Aloha cyndigo!

Welcome to TC! Fantastic pieces in your collection! Papua New Guinea, while technically not in the Polynesia triangle, is totally included in tiki culture, as the imagery was heavily used for inspiration during the original mid-century tiki movement.

You could go for a Trader Sam's feel, if you have artwork from various exotic locations across the globe... sort of a trader's den of exotic artifacts, with a concentration on tiki.

What great space you have! is that shag carpeting? And a rock wall bar? Totally cool!

One suggestion that comes to mind is that you can transform that angled arch into an A-frame with an outrigger beam that would jut out over the bar area.

Gotta agree with tobunga...and you can start weaving some Tiki items in with what you have the rock wall/bar area is awesome, and using that arch is a good idea. You have lot's of possibilities. Build a back-bar and go for it!!!

Welcome Cyndigo!

You have the makings of an awesome tiki space! Building a tiki bar can be the most wonderful, all encompassing endeavor!!!!

My suggestion is to looking in the Home Tiki Bars thread. There are amazing inspiration pictures. As for cutting the thatch, I have a pair of large scissors with sharp blades that work well but you're right, thatch can unweave itself if you're not careful.

Good luck!

I think you are already there! Get rid of the white paint on the walls!

PS, for a "newby" you already "get" tiki. You would be surprised how many newbs come here proudly displaying pictures of their Jimmy Buffet styled bar built from party city bullshit....yours is something WAY better!

C

Thank you!

I googled images for "outrigger beam" and that looks waaaaay more complicated than I can handle, although it is cool. For now I'll save the thatch and see about painting.

Pardon the ignorance of forum etiquette ... should I create a new thread to chronicle the renovation or keep it all in this one? (Wonder if I can rename this existing one....)

Name and color suggestions for wall paint are most welcome!

On 2013-02-18 10:33, cyndigo wrote:
Thank you!

I googled images for "outrigger beam" and that looks waaaaay more complicated than I can handle, although it is cool. For now I'll save the thatch and see about painting.

Pardon the ignorance of forum etiquette ... should I create a new thread to chronicle the renovation or keep it all in this one? (Wonder if I can rename this existing one....)

Forum etiquette? This is a drinking forum! There is no etiquette! Be yourself and have a good time.

As to paint, something dark....maybe dark brown. That lava rock is great. You got a winner there!

C

As to paint, something dark....maybe dark brown. That lava rock is great. You got a winner there!

I was able to change the name! Welcome to the Naughty Coconut.

Dark brown? I was totally thinking ocean-y blue or sunset coral or something. Time to start going through pictures!

On 2013-02-17 15:51, tobunga wrote:

You could go for a Trader Sam's feel, if you have artwork from various exotic locations across the globe... sort of a trader's den of exotic artifacts, with a concentration on tiki.

Tobunga, I really like that description, trader's den of exotic artifacts, that's what I'm trying for in my tiki area.

cyndigo, I love that carved turtle. It looks huge!

I love the name "Naughty Coconut" and I agree that the rocks are beautiful. A soft golden tan to match that color in the rocks will provide a great backdrop to the dark wood decor you have. Some dark wood shelves on the wall would be great to house your bottles & art and a thatch over that arch would look great. Bottom line, just look at home bars here and get some ideas that you can adopt for your own. I agree that you are ahead of the game and look forward to your outcome.

Looks like a good batch of art there
Love the Honu
Good job
More pics
Have fun

Cheers

Jon

C

Thanks so much ... I have a lot more stuff but am not sure what I want to use. (Regretting not buying a story board - or more - in Palau.)

One concern is that the bar is in a mostly unused corner of my (large) living room that is my main space. I want to make it nice but am largely a minimalist, so want it to be nice and fun but not to overwhelm the space with kitsch. (NOTHING wrong with kitsch but too much stuff jangles my nerves.)

So, I want a fun minimalist tiki aesthetic that integrates with my Bhutanese thangkas and other stuff and doesn't look too fussy. :)I will post more pictures soon and maybe you'll have some ideas...

Cyndigo, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "palapa" . For the Palm frond. "palapa" used as a "roof" I lay it on the framework and don't cut it til I am certain it is just how I want it. Then I trim the excess a little bit longer (4-6") and tie off the cut woven strands with florist's wire or fishline. The cut end is then loosely tucked under and mostly out of sight. The other end is already done cuz you placed it where you wanted it when you laid it on top of the framework. Be sure and fasten the palapa as you work your way towards the end to be trimmed. I have been known to fasten and unfasten multiple times before I finally trim the end. I also try to make my cuts at the least visible end of the project.
There are many types of woven "matting's" I have had good results using large shears and razor knives. I place the stickiest duct tape that I can buy directly over the line that I intend to cut. Measure and remark the line and cut. If using the razor have a clean and level piece of plywood underneath. Leave the tape on -it will be hidden by the trim or moulding you place over it. There are probably easier and better way's but this works for me.
Cheers- good luck

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-02-18 19:59 ]

T

Thank you!

Well, I tend to go all out in my thinking... you can totally do an A-frame, but omit the outrigger beam. I'm sure anything you decide to do with that space will work out just fine... you're half-way there already with what you have (at least from the photos)... I agree with the suggestions of darker tones... tiki is dark and mysterious... and dark can work toward your minimalist tendencies... you'd be surprised how much dark goes toward enveloping an environment and bringing it all together, and minimizing any extraneous bits.

Oh, love the name of your tiki bar!

T

Thank you!

Well, I tend to go all out in my thinking... you can totally do an A-frame, but omit the outrigger beam. I'm sure anything you decide to do with that space will work out just fine... you're half-way there already with what you have (at least from the photos)... I agree with the suggestions of darker tones... tiki is dark and mysterious... and dark can work toward your minimalist tendencies... you'd be surprised how much dark goes toward enveloping an environment and bringing it all together, and minimizing any extraneous bits.

Oh, love the name of your tiki bar!

C

Ooooh please help me pick a mural for the back wall! (Or shoot down my dreams like a mad dog. Whatever is necessary.)

Murals are here: http://www.squidoo.com/-beach-wall-murals

The are behind my bar is a little over 7' high and about the same width although of course not all of that is visible through the arch, etc. Do you think a mural would work? I spent many happy hours in a hammock on a deserted beach in Asia, and would love to have a bit of that for the view. But not if it will look horrible in real life (have never had a mural).

Thoughts?

[ Edited by: cyndigo 2013-02-18 22:25 ]

Here is the mural behind my Tiki bar outside.

The link you posted does not show what you were looking at.

C

Sorry forgotten, I think it's fixed now...

Q

Hi Cyndigo,

In regards to the mural, I think it will depend on how you paint the walls around it and also how you light it. If it doesn't have good light on the bulk of the image, it could get lost back in the hole. Especially after you get a lot of your art and bar items in place. Of course, having said that, you also don't want it to outshine the rest of the space either. Some type of dimmable light source would be the answer, I think.

As far as image choice goes, you really need to follow your gut on that one. Choose what pleases you the most!

Good luck and keep posting.

Aloha and Cheers!

I agree with Q-Tiki. Follow your gut. Those are all nice murals. But chose on that speaks to you and really fits your space of what your trying to accomplish. Keep up the progress. :)

C

This tiki thing has a way of expanding, n'est-ce pas? I was looking at stuff and finally decided that the whole side of the room was going to look weird if I didn't rearrange, so I moved the piano from a bedroom into the corner to replace the roll-top desk, and I pulled out a bunch of shields and stuff from Irian Jaya. Here are 3 pics, there are more in the flickr set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyndigo/sets/72157632788254085/with/8501475590/

I will move the red wall hanging and the statue under it, but I could really use some advice on how to arrange things so it's cohesive. More pics later ... suggestions please! I really want it to look unified and not too junky.

Also: Moving a piano is HARD.

C

Also I know lighting will be a big thing ... those overhead fluorescent fixtures are lined with rice paper, which softens it some, but I almost never have them on and they will not be part of the overall tiki milieu. :-)

C

Oh and sorry, one more thing... I have an ancient Vietnamese altar that's about 5' wide and 4' high that also will have to be in that part of the room somewhere ... no pics as it's being restored a bit right now. Someone had brought it back and then stuck it in their garden !?! and was throwing it away on Craigslist. I'll use it for linen and glassware storage. It's black and that dark lacquer red, pretty ornate, and there's no room for it anywhere else. I will shut up now, I promise!

TM

On 2013-02-23 11:59, cyndigo wrote:
Oh and sorry, one more thing... I have an ancient Vietnamese altar that's about 5' wide and 4' high that also will have to be in that part of the room somewhere ... no pics as it's being restored a bit right now. Someone had brought it back and then stuck it in their garden !?! and was throwing it away on Craigslist. I'll use it for linen and glassware storage. It's black and that dark lacquer red, pretty ornate, and there's no room for it anywhere else. I will shut up now, I promise!

You have some great pieces there. I collect carved african masks...wish I had a place to put them!

Tiki fever cure: there isn't one...

Looks cool
Go go go
More
More
More

Jon

C

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Naughty Coconut is open and ready for guests!

The bamboo cabinet behind the bar was $25 at the thrift store!

I still need to do the palapa, and hang the other shields. How would you arrange them? And wire the speakers, improve the lighting, and paint the accent wall. But all in all, this has been a super fun week and it came together so easily!

Oh, and I don't have any tiki mugs, so I guess that will be an ongoing project. But my Trader Vic's Grog Mix did arrive, so now it's time to make a drink. Thanks so much for all the help and inspiration!

Don't forget the all important Tikis
can't have a "Tiki Bar" without them.... :drink:

HT

I tell you what, you've got a hell of a start with all of these artifacts.

Getting these types of things nowdays can range into the thousands for what I see in just those last few photos. As you get more and more committed, you'll have a really great base to start for decorating. Part of the magic/wonder for me is going to older bars and seeing actual native pieces that when they were acquired, were thought of as cheap souvenirs, even if they were actual tribal pieces, and not made for the tourist trade. Nowadays shields, boards, masks command a high price as art, artifacts, historical pieces, and rightfully so. The popularization of primitive art coincides with the rise of Poly Pop, and has deep roots in "tiki."

And from your verbiage of "picked up," I assume that means you got them yourself, which just adds to the wonderful space that you're begging to create.

Seeing your Siamese cat with the primitive art reminds me of Pyewacket in Bell, Book and Candle.

You are doing a great job...and sure your scouring will turn up some mugs and Tikis. I love your masks and especially the alligator.

C

Thanks so much! I really appreciate all the suggestions. Now I must get some mugs....

Pages: 1 31 replies