Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Need advice on creating my tiki hideout

Pages: 1 10 replies

J
Jeje posted on Sun, Feb 24, 2013 11:01 AM

I want a proper tiki space in my appartment. The problem is that I have very limited space. I've came up with two options:

1. If I keep my tiki stuff in my living room it won't be 100% tikified. The flat screen TV will be there as well as some other non tiki stuff.

2. If I put up a wall and split the living room in two I will end up with two very small rooms. The tiki space will be about 6×6 feet but this way I will be able to make it 100% tikified.

What would you do?

On 2013-02-24 11:01, Jeje wrote:
I want a proper tiki space in my appartment. The problem is that I have very limited space. I've came up with two options:

1. If I keep my tiki stuff in my living room it won't be 100% tikified. The flat screen TV will be there as well as some other non tiki stuff.

2. If I put up a wall and split the living room in two I will end up with two very small rooms. The tiki space will be about 6×6 feet but this way I will be able to make it 100% tikified.

What would you do?

split the living room. Tiki bars don't have to be about size. I remember bamboo ben built a demo at his shop that was super small, almost like a small cave, and it was awesome!

SWEDEN? I can't believe IKEA does not have a 5X5 version of a TIKI room.

I agree with Lucas...size doesn't matter...some folks have large spaces to fill, however a small cozy space may be the best way to go especially in an apartment. I have only been collecting and working on my Tiki Lounge for about 6 years, but even in that short period of time, I have found myself overflowing into my dining room. If you did a room divider at first, then later if you wanted to change and flow into the living room it would be easy. Also there are lot's of great ideas on how to disguise the TV to fit in. We look forward to pictures of your project.

HT

I vote to keep it all one space. I had a studio apartment in Washington, DC once. Tiny room. The entire room was my tiki bar, and I hid things when they needed to be hidden, to help with the ambiance.

There's a few threads here about how to hide a flat screen TV. And the seating just becomes seating for your tiki bar. You can be creative, and preserve the space as a living, while building a crazy tiki bar. And the nice part about building a free standing bar, is that if/when you move into a house, the bar can be used outside, or in another room!

Personally I like the idea of keeping it in one space. We do have extra room where we could have put up a fake wall and made a smaller "all tiki all the time" area - but instead decided to incorporate it into our main family room so we get to be surrounded by the stuff we love all the time instead of going into a special room for it. Slowly but surely, most all our things are becoming mod or tiki.

I'd say make the entire appartment Tiki
:)

Jon

I live in a 1-bedroom apartment and my tiki area was for a short period of time kept to my dining room. Now it has creeped into my kitchen, living room and bedroom.
I wouldn't worry too much about keeping a certain designated area as tiki, especially in a small space. As your collection grows you'll start mixing it in with the rest of your belongings.

J
Jeje posted on Mon, Feb 25, 2013 6:49 PM

Thank you for all opinions. As soon as I've made some progress I will post some pics!

Tjena!

I put a flatscreen in my tiki room recently. I want to use the room for more than just parties:
Works for me...

Please show us pics of you hideout. We need more tiki in Sweden!

PP

You cant contain Tiki to one room! Once the Jeanie is out of the bottle, there's no putting it back !! slowly my tiki stuff has taken over the whole house, backyard and front yard, like a fine fungus!!
can't wait to see some pics
Paul

Pages: 1 10 replies