Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Proposed Swamp Fire Lounge Tiki mug design

Pages: 1 28 replies

Hi all,
10 years ago I opened my online website to sell my art. I've always wanted to produce a Swamp Fire Lounge Tiki mug based on the name of my website.
Here is a proposed sketch I did for the mug. What do you guys think?
Your comments are welcome, I have a thick skin when it comes to criticism so let it fly if you don't like it or have some thoughts. :)
My goal is to have it ready to sell by Tiki Oasis this year.

Awesome! Are you gonna try to sculpt it?

D
Dagg posted on Mon, Mar 11, 2013 5:44 PM

I like it, I like it a lot :D

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 11, 2013 5:44 PM

It's a nice mug, but it doesn't look very swampy or very fiery. :D :D :D :D

G
GROG posted on Mon, Mar 11, 2013 5:47 PM

Maybe a volcano in the swamp. You could have an alligator or two on there somewhere. Or better yet, maybe a fire-breathing alligator tiki.

Or better yet, an alligator tiki wearing sunglasses, holding a microphone, smoking a cigarette. You've got swamp represented by the alligator, fire represented by the cigarette, and lounge represented by the sunglasses, microphone, and cigarette---he's a lounge singer. GROG genius. You should consult GROG more often. :D :D :D

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-03-11 17:53 ]

Maybe a swampgas nozzle with an igniter? Nuthin' says SwampFire like THAT! :D

I like it Doug :)

where do the batteries go?
do the eyes light up?
can I call it Swampy?

Me likey Dougie!

That'll be in my collection!

On 2013-03-11 17:47, GROG wrote:
Maybe a volcano in the swamp. You could have an alligator or two on there somewhere. Or better yet, maybe a fire-breathing alligator tiki.

Or better yet, an alligator tiki wearing sunglasses, holding a microphone, smoking a cigarette. You've got swamp represented by the alligator, fire represented by the cigarette, and lounge represented by the sunglasses, microphone, and cigarette---he's a lounge singer. GROG genius. You should consult GROG more often. :D :D :D

GROG miss Tiki-Kate
[ Edited by: GROG 2013-03-11 17:53 ]

Grog have great ideas...for a Cave Man.

That's a great looking mug and with glaze it will be outstanding. I'm looking forward to seeing it all done, Wendy

On 2013-03-11 17:43, zerostreet wrote:
Awesome! Are you gonna try to sculpt it?

Since I'm not a ceramics guy it would look nothing like the sketch. I leave the ceramics part of it to the professionals. :)

Thanks for all the input everyone! I really appreciate it.
So many directions I could take this mug. I've always been a fan of the Marquesan style Tiki so I chose to go that direction.
The challenge comes in keeping it traditional yet add my own influence to the design.

More to come...

I agree with GROG but what about a snapping alligator inside the mug like this Hippo Attack mug?

Inside features are long overdue for Tiki Mugs.

I got your Inside features.......Right Here! :lol:

I'm glad to hear that you like the Marquesans. By far one of my favorite designs.

I'm not sold on the bottom. I like the idea, but I'm not 100% on it. The back of the mug in general seems kind of bare. I think that's what bothers me.

Love the top half.

RD

On 2013-03-11 17:36, Swamp Fire wrote:

Hi all,
10 years ago I opened my online website to sell my art. I've always wanted to produce a Swamp Fire Lounge Tiki mug based on the name of my website.
Here is a proposed sketch I did for the mug. What do you guys think?
Your comments are welcome, I have a thick skin when it comes to criticism so let it fly if you don't like it or have some thoughts. :)
My goal is to have it ready to sell by Tiki Oasis this year.

I like the design alot. The teeth look a little too perfectly geometrical though.
I will definitely get one for my collection.

Hey, you need to update your website. http://swampfirelounge.com/

What, no cigar smokin monkey?

:)

T

That mug looks awesome! Great design! I have a couple of your tiki masks and always get wonderful comments on them. Thanks!!

GOOOOOOOOO DOUGGLES!
A Way OverdueMug from one of the Giants in our Community!
BRAVO Buddy!

On 2013-03-12 20:27, little lost tiki wrote:
GOOOOOOOOO DOUGGLES!
A Way OverdueMug from one of the Giants in our Community!
BRAVO Buddy!

What? Doug is the giant of this community!
I like it when he carries me around in his hands......

people all go what? and I'm like yea! then sup bitches! they still all WTF!
I tell Doug to like...step on them, but he's too nice and just sez
"Good Day to ya!"
I don't smoke, but if I did I would, when Doug carries me around in his hands
cause that be cool........

C

It looks pretty awesome. I like the font.

[ Edited by: Canvas 2013-03-12 21:40 ]

B

It’s a great concept Doug! It definitely has that Doug Horne flair, and the idea of having the lava base really breaks up the feel of being a standard tiki head and gives the mug a multi-textured look that lends a unique ambiance when compared with some of you past designs. Like it a lot!
If I can offer one small, humble critique…
The detailing and concept are spot on but the silhouette lacks a tiny bit of the interest of the other design elements. The general shape is very cylindrical when compared to some of your past efforts, such as the Caliente II and III mugs, or the breath-in design of the Kon Tiki mug. I seems to me that if this concept had, for example, a greater taper at the top of the base that flairs out for the start of the tiki or a similar exaggeration of it’s existing features it would give the mug it’s own unique silhouette and would add more individuality to the sculpt that will make it more unique when placed in collections among other mugs that share the rectangular profile.
I do love it and will be first in line!

BTW – dose it creep anyone else out that ATP likes to live out his Johnny Sokko fantasies and ride around in taller peoples hands?

If you ever wondered what happened when "Daisaku Kusama" grew up?
well now you know.........Giant Robo out! :lol:

T

Very nice mug.
Great job!
Maybe you could add a cryptic DH on the rim or middle of the nose.

I would buy one.

SF

Thanks for all the input everyone.

I decided to take the Tiki part of the mug in a different direction. Give it more of a Doug Horne look.

Going into production and I hope to have some finished mugs ready to sell by Tiki Oasis.

BK

WANT!

Definitely going to be in my collection too!!! I want #11 if you are taking orders...wink wink.

E

Add me to the list!

Pages: 1 28 replies