Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

ever had or heard any flaming drink mishaps?

Pages: 1 9 replies

P
porco posted on Wed, Mar 13, 2013 5:30 AM

just wondering if there's ever been any major 151 incidents out there? i've heard horror stories about people doing fireballs at bars, parties, etc...but was wondering if there's ever been anything funny or tragic amongst the tiki community?

given the ratio of flaming drinks to combustible decor, i can't help but think some place or one has suffered the inevitable. i understand that most modern materials are offered in, or require by law/common sense fire retardant material, but still....

T

Well, there's the infamous Dan Haggerty beard burning in December 1977 at the Red Onion in Rolling Hills, courtesy of a 151 rum drink called a Flaming Eddy.

Probably not very tiki, though. :(

I saw a guy drink a flaming shot and the shot glass stuck to his lips.He used a gold rimmed glass and it stayed heated after he blew out the shot. He burned a nearly perfect circle onto his mouth.The dangers/ spectator sport of Everclear and rum.

Does this mean there may be "PORCO Mystery Drink Girls"?

youtube is awash in them...

P

On 2013-03-13 11:05, TIKI DAVID wrote:
Does this mean there may be "PORCO Mystery Drink Girls"?

ha! as much as i'd like to keep a closet full of attractive, young females at the ready to serve mystery bowls, just not sure if it's in our budget (or legal). had thoughts of possibly doing a fri-sat night, one drink for one special customer at midnight kind of thing. basically hire a nice young lady to costume up, follow her with a gong, serve the drink, and be done with it....make an event out of it. we'll see, but they'll be plenty of fun stuff for sure.

with regards to drinks & flames, i just couldn't help but think you're going to get that moron at some point the burns the end of his straw, splashes flaming booze all over the place, etc...i mean, i've been around plenty of bon fires with copious amounts of booze, and i couldn't even begin to count the amount of poor decisions i've seen made.

On 2013-03-14 11:18, porco wrote:
bon fires with copious amounts of booze, and i couldn't even begin to count the amount of poor decisions i've seen made.

How many times do we wake up in the morning, look out into the back yard, and then wonder out loud, "Dang, where did all those clothes on the ground around the fire pit come from?"

There is an entire episode of the Simpsons dedicated to a flaming cocktail and what happens when you steal somebody else's drink creation and call it your own. The episode is called Flaming Moe's.
http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Flaming_Moe's

When the weight of the world has got you down
And you want to end your life,
Bills to pay, a dead-end job,
And problems with the wife.
But don't throw in the tow'l,
'Cuz there's a place right down the block...
Where you can drink your misery away...
At Flaming Moe's.... (Let's all go to Flaming Moe's...)
When liquor in a mug (Let's all go to Flaming Moe's...)
Can warm you like a hug. (Flaming Moe's...)
And happiness is just a Flaming Moe away...
Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away...

Animated gif of the above picture here:

http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2013/02/sriracha-remains-hot-cocktails.html

P

On 2013-03-15 11:04, tikilongbeach wrote:
There is an entire episode of the Simpsons dedicated to a flaming cocktail and what happens when you steal somebody else's drink creation and call it your own. The episode is called Flaming Moe's.

heh. i could just hear it now..."IT'S CALLED A TRADER VIC'S MAI TAI. THAT'S RIGHT, A TRADE VIC'S MAI TAI. MY NAME IS TRADER VIC, AND I INVENTED IT! THAT'S WHY IT'S CALLED A TRADER VIC'S MAI TAI"

man, the simpsons are the best.

U

Not a flaming drink but a flaming menu. My wife and I were in a restaurant for dinner. The menus were physically large and there was a candelabra on the table. All of a sudden it got very bright. I looked up and her menu was on fire. The maitre d' casually walked by, pulled the menu from her hands and in the same motion put a new menu in her hands. He never broke stride and didn't say a word. I guess you could say she was a hot date that night.

Pages: 1 9 replies