Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Ceilings

Pages: 1 27 replies

Bamboo Ben made a comment in the " finding tiki" blog about the ceilings at Trader Sam's being sparse.

I think of of all the things done in a Tiki build that the ceilings are the most over looked part of a room. In fact, I'd say it can make or break a Room.

Nothing worst than having a great room and then look up and see a white ceiling.

I'd love to see your ideas and ways that you came up with a solution to this problem, because lets face it. It's a pain in the ass to work above your head and and it is such a large space to deal with.

So, what are some ways to tackle the problem?

For everyone who hasn't seen this yet....

http://tiki.unkrich.com/tiki_hideaway/

[ Edited by: revbambooben 2013-03-27 08:12 ]

EJ

Check out Monkeyman's South Pacific room.

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=35684&forum=20&149

[ Edited by: El Jefe 2013-03-26 21:12 ]

Thanks El Jefe, that's a way cool room.

I think people would agree that the ceiling especially in this case makes all the difference.

Loved the beam he routed out, wow

Here's a recent ceiling done in a private home tiki bar/lounge. The ceiling is acoustical tile that has many little holes in it that the heat and a/c breath through so it couldn't be covered up with matting or even painted heavy. So I painted it black did a Bamboo Ben Grid. With the right lighting ( those pics not ready yet) it'll just drop out. Ceiling is almost 12' high.

p.s. Ceilings are my pet peeve besides "anything white" in a tiki room/bar/lounge. Next time any of you are at the World Famous Frankie's Tiki Room in Las Vegas ( only tiki bar in the world open 24/7/365 :wink:, check out how many things are going on up on the ceiling. I did that to help create a feeling of separate rooms all in the same room with no giant walls in your face. p.s.s. don't get me started... :wink:

What can I say folks, Bamboo Ben is the King Kong of Tiki.

The rest of us mortals struggle with trying to even come close.

Anyone else have some do and don't do tips? (besides just hiring Ben)

HT

On 2013-03-27 08:44, RevBambooBen wrote:

You know, I was trying REALLY HARD not to put a roof on my home bar. But nope, seeing that photo, just don't think I can get away with not doing it. Darnit!

V

THAT IS IT! I'm tearing out the ceiling in my living room and going full tiki. this thread has finally pushed me into action!

And PS - Ben, I couldn't see the ceiling at Frankies! It was too dark! :)

Henrik "VanTiki"

EJ

Ben that ceiling is awesome. I look forward to seeing the photos with the lighting you spoke about. Can you talk about some of the basics of your ceiling designs? Thanks.

This is Mark Holt's tiki room. His ceiling is less than 8' so I used smaller dia. Bamboo so it wouldn't boink me on the head ( I'm 6'1" ) . It still get's the point across.

There's a ceiling in Mark's room? I didn't notice. All I saw were all the liquor bottles in the lower right. HAHA

Wish I had some suggestions or tips, but alas, my ceiling is still white. However, I should be given a wee bit of a break since it is actually my office and nobody is in there except me. Plus it is still in development.

Actually Ben I love the thinner bamboo with the the matting behind it. It gives me an idea that I can use in my office.

This could easily turn into a very festive thread.

Dale

I count myself lucky to have seen Monkeyman's and Mark's ceilings and they are fabulous. I agree Longboard, a white lid is not good.

BB...I have my huge piece of tapa rolled on a tube in storage right now. Eventually that is what will cover the ceiling and the BB bamboo grid is my goal. I also would like a half round of bamboo around the perimeter with some lighting inside. Might not happen for a year or two, but plenty of time for me to plan.

All you guys that have the skill and talent to do your own ceilings are so lucky, they are such an accomplishment!!!!

On 2013-03-27 19:51, littlegiles wrote:
There's a ceiling in Mark's room? I didn't notice. All I saw were all the liquor bottles in the lower right. HAHA

If I left it white it would distract from all the art!!!

You HAVE TO do the entire room.

On 2013-03-27 15:00, VanTiki wrote:

And PS - Ben, I couldn't see the ceiling at Frankies! It was too dark! :)

Henrik "VanTiki"

Van! You weren't drunk enough!!!;)

Another one of Ben's ceiling masterpieces' can be seen at the Kona Club in Oakland, CA.

The Kona Club is the worlds best kept secret.

That room has it all and people should frequent it more often.

[ Edited by: Longboard 2013-03-28 09:59 ]

On 2013-03-27 08:54, RevBambooBen wrote:
...with no giant walls in your face. p.s.s. don't get me started... :wink:

Where the heck would you have put giant walls at Frankie's, ha ha?? That place is as small as a postage stamp. An amazingly AWESOME postage stamp, but still a stamp. :)

M
Murph posted on Fri, Mar 29, 2013 3:59 PM

Here's a link to how I did the roof treatment in the small secret bar I created within the main Tiki Room.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32747&forum=20&hilite=waikiki%20womb

I'm quite sure this is a stupid question, but: how do you attach the round bamboo to the ceiling?

I'm in the wall & ceiling planning stages for my bar at the moment; this thread has been really inspirational.

Here's what I did to the ceiling in my breakfast nook. There was an expensive piece of worm-eaten Tapa at the Oakland Museum White Elephant Sale a few years back. The next year, I bought it marked down to a reasonable price.

My framer suggested using Gatorboard, which is very light, rigid, and moistureproof, so I cut and/or patched pieces to cover enough panels for the ceiling. I velcroed them to the ceiling, and covered the gaps with painted wooden slats.

Very nice ceiling Thomasas!

Cool idea

Thomamas, that is a great idea for a ceiling. Looks fantastic.

Dale

L

The Gatorboard is a great idea. It makes the whole job much easier, by allowing you to work on the ground, not over your head.

M

On 2013-03-30 10:31, thomamas wrote:
My framer suggested using Gatorboard, which is very light, rigid, and moistureproof, so I cut and/or patched pieces to cover enough panels for the ceiling. I velcroed them to the ceiling, and covered the gaps with painted wooden slats.

thomamas:

What thickness "Gator Board" did you use?

T

On 2013-04-08 09:21, MaukaHale wrote:
What thickness "Gator Board" did you use?

I used 3/16". My individual panels are smaller than 2x3 feet, and the long edges are supported by the trim. I'm just guessing, but you might want 1/2" for big or unsupported pieces. That thickness is the thinnest that the manufacturer guarantees against bowing.

M

Thank you for the idea. I may use this approach on my ceiling.

Pages: 1 27 replies